PDA

View Full Version : HO HO HO More CHUKA Footage

Ng Jit
11-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Hey ya'all my sifu gave me permission to put up this demo that is very OLD... This took place in 1992 at the ventura county fair. This is him and his former student Mike doing the two man Som Bo Gin Set.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUPj8LWaULk

sanjuro_ronin
11-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Since when has your Sifu trained in Invisible-Fu ?

Ng Jit
11-28-2007, 01:59 PM
LOL...

I forgot the link **** you were all over that... There is also some more recent school stuff at http://www.reddragonkungfu.com... :)

sanjuro_ronin
11-28-2007, 02:01 PM
IS that Manny Rodriguez ?

Just checked the link to the school, it is him, never mind.

Ng Jit
11-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Yes it is...
:D

sanjuro_ronin
11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
ANy clips of you guys sparring with SPM ?
Have yet to see that of any SPM people, though Sify Whitrod of the HCow Gar comes close in a few clips of going hard on his students, but nothing that can be termed "full contact sparring" or even "hard contact sparring".

Ng Jit
11-28-2007, 03:09 PM
In the future we will most likely put stuff up to be viewed dealing with sparring, however generally in traditional SPM that kindof contact is delegated to things like challenges. In the SPM system if we went full contact we would be in the hospital or dead after every class...

But like I said we may video tape a tender morsal for you in the future...

sanjuro_ronin
11-29-2007, 05:45 AM
In the future we will most likely put stuff up to be viewed dealing with sparring, however generally in traditional SPM that kindof contact is delegated to things like challenges. In the SPM system if we went full contact we would be in the hospital or dead after every class...

But like I said we may video tape a tender morsal for you in the future...

In the day and age we are in now, there is protective gear that you can use that will allow you to apply SPM and still have a degree of safety, you should look into it, better the be sure you can fight with SPM than HOPE you can.
The few clips I have seen have been, well...poor at best, hard contact yes, but hardly SPM-like.
Usualy because of lack of sparring to learn how to use SPM in a full on way.

Just my 2 cents.

Ng Jit
11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Well we do have something we call Som Gwart Ma which is what you call "Sparring" and only certain levels get to learn it. I am at that level now and it is what you are thinking about. You might want to know that in the Dui Da Mike (the guy doing it) with my sifu had only been doing SPM for a year. Hardly enough skill level to get to the point of Som Gwart Ma.

I hope this helps clear up a few things, you are welcome to come to our school and see what we do, and re-evaluate your opinion.

peace

sanjuro_ronin
11-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Well we do have something we call Som Gwart Ma which is what you call "Sparring" and only certain levels get to learn it. I am at that level now and it is what you are thinking about. You might want to know that in the Dui Da Mike the guy doing it with my sifu hand only been doing SPM for a year. Hardly enough skill level to get to the point of Som Gwart Ma.

I hope this helps clear up a few things, you are welcome to come to our school and see what we do, and re-evaluate your opinion.

peace

My opinion in regards to what ?

I am confused as to why you don't "spar" from the beginning, in some form or another.
These aren't critiques, they are questions.

Ng Jit
11-29-2007, 05:25 PM
You are learning an art like any other art, in music you learn your scale your chords and learn how to read. In art college my pre-requisite for painting was composition which had what appeared to be nothing about painting but it taught me how to draw.

Anybody can go in a garage with their grandfather or father and slug it out. There is nothing wrong with this, but all that it does is bring out your natural ability. Over time your stuck in one mode and you don’t know how to make variations. You are limited in coordination and power production. No matter what sport you are good at, if you are picked up by a scout extensive training begins. In theory and Application to improve your natural ability.

So yes when the student is ready for the sparring part of the art they do.

Also I have a new video up of Tai chi @ http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23021509

It is cool....

sanjuro_ronin
11-30-2007, 05:48 AM
You are learning an art like any other art, in music you learn your scale your chords and learn how to read. In art college my pre-requisite for painting was composition which had what appeared to be nothing about painting but it taught me how to draw.

Anybody can go in a garage with their grandfather or father and slug it out. There is nothing wrong with this, but all that it does is bring out your natural ability. Over time your stuck in one mode and you don’t know how to make variations. You are limited in coordination and power production. No matter what sport you are good at, if you are picked up by a scout extensive training begins. In theory and Application to improve your natural ability.

So yes when the student is ready for the sparring part of the art they do.

Also I have a new video up of Tai chi @ http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23021509

It is cool....

Nice, thanks for clearing that up.
I know that Sifu Rodriguez has a "fighting background" that is why I was wondering why there wasn't more "fighting" being done.

PlumDragon
11-30-2007, 08:54 AM
I am confused as to why you don't "spar" from the beginning, in some form or another.Sanjuro,

Some styles encompass motions that are quite easy to pick up and start working in a sparring-type of environment without significant regression--Western Boxing comes to mind. You can learn basic strikes and be up and going in a short period of time due to a quick learning curve. This is no doubt part of the intrigue of this type of art.

It is my opinion that in a number of Chinese systems, there are numerous techniques (some systems probably have *too* many techniques) used in different ways, that might not come as naturally as jab, cross, and hook. For a Chinese artist to really use their styles techniques under pressure, to really utilize defensive and offensive hands properly, a solid foundation must be first built, enough repition of each attack and defense must be done to make it feel atleast somewhat natural. In some larger systems, I think sparring may be counterproductive for maybe the first several months...?

I think sparring is very important, but I also think that it cant hurt to wait a little while. What is a little while? I dont know, I guess maybe it depends on both the system in question, as well as the student. But once new students have begun to really engrain the motions into their movement, they can probably glean much more from sparring sessions...

sanjuro_ronin
11-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Sanjuro,

Some styles encompass motions that are quite easy to pick up and start working in a sparring-type of environment without significant regression--Western Boxing comes to mind. You can learn basic strikes and be up and going in a short period of time due to a quick learning curve. This is no doubt part of the intrigue of this type of art.

It is my opinion that in a number of Chinese systems, there are numerous techniques (some systems probably have *too* many techniques) used in different ways, that might not come as naturally as jab, cross, and hook. For a Chinese artist to really use their styles techniques under pressure, to really utilize defensive and offensive hands properly, a solid foundation must be first built, enough repition of each attack and defense must be done to make it feel atleast somewhat natural. In some larger systems, I think sparring may be counterproductive for maybe the first several months...?

I think sparring is very important, but I also think that it cant hurt to wait a little while. What is a little while? I dont know, I guess maybe it depends on both the system in question, as well as the student. But once new students have begun to really engrain the motions into their movement, they can probably glean much more from sparring sessions...

I agree with you and have been told the same thing from other SPM sources, that it is a great tool but needs "prior MA experience" to be more effective.
I think that most, if not all, "short arm" systems benefit from prior "long arm" back ground.

PlumDragon
11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
I agree with you and have been told the same thing from other SPM sources, that it is a great tool but needs "prior MA experience" to be more effective.
I think that most, if not all, "short arm" systems benefit from prior "long arm" back ground.Ive heard that as well. To each their own of course, but while it certainly is a difficult and detailed system to understand and realize, I dont completly agree that one needs "prior MA experience" to make it more effective.

I was referring more generally to most Chinese systems out there because of their common inherent size and catalog of attacks, defenses, stances, animals, etc etc etc--and so it goes that a system with a basic curriculum that is, say, 10x larger than boxing would probably require at least 10 times as much time investment until the student is prepared to partake in pressured sparring. Ive known people in good boxing gyms who wait 3-4 weeks before they start sparring, so it doesnt seem out of line to consider the student of a significantly sized Chinese art might wait as long as a year before they begin to partake in proper sparring practice...

In contrast, I recall rolling freestyle at my very first BJJ lesson ever. While it certainly didnt *hinder* me in any way, today I wish that time would have been spent doing basic 2-man drills to help me learn the basic positions and how to transition, etc...

The Xia
11-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I think that most, if not all, "short arm" systems benefit from prior "long arm" back ground.
Aren't you ex-military? If you are, I'm surprised to hear you use the term "long-arm" and "short-arm" (ie: long-arm and short-arm inspection). :eek:

The Xia
11-30-2007, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeoiClKTXU4
Enjoy! :)

sanjuro_ronin
11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Aren't you ex-military? If you are, I'm surprised to hear you use the term "long-arm" (ie: long-arm inspection). :eek:

LOL !!

I think this is a great example of what SPM should look like in use
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeoiClKTXU4
Enjoy!

Sifu Mark knows his stuff, no doubt, but even there he is going easy and is still "longer" than he should be, it being a demo and all that.

The Xia
11-30-2007, 01:38 PM
LOL !!
I went back and edited it because I just caught that you also used "short-arm." :eek:

Sifu Mark knows his stuff, no doubt, but even there he is going easy and is still "longer" than he should be, it being a demo and all that.
I think you can see what would happen if he didn't stop short though. And you can see the other guy is trying so it isn't a compliant demo.

sanjuro_ronin
11-30-2007, 01:41 PM
There are some hard contact clips of a SPM guy and his students, the one with the tatoos, I forget his name.
But they suffer from a lack of "mantis look".

Just would be nice to see a full contact clip of SPM in action.

masterrickg
12-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm just amazed that Manuel is still teaching. I mean, he weighs over 300lbs, and has AIDS, how does he have the strength?

scythe000
12-04-2007, 06:10 PM
What makes you say he has aids? I havn't heard this from anywhere else.

masterrickg
12-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Not exactly common knowledge, but if you knew him, it's known. He's had it for years. Was a bit too 'friendly' with students in the past if you catch my drift. He had been claiming it was poisoning or some crap, depending on who was asking.

masterrickg
12-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Here, look at this pic if you doubt me about the 300lbs thing. This is an older pic, he's much heavier now.

Gru Bianca
12-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Not exactly common knowledge, but if you knew him, it's known. He's had it for years. Was a bit too 'friendly' with students in the past if you catch my drift. He had been claiming it was poisoning or some crap, depending on who was asking.

Sorry, are you a closed member of his blood family? If not, what do you think give you the right to disclose on a pubblic forum personal information of another individual of such magnitude?

masterrickg
12-04-2007, 08:13 PM
It's not exactly a secret. His students know, he even went to groups with other friends of his with the same illness. I'm not trying to 'reveal' anything. I was simply surprised to see that he is still teaching. I keep hearing from people that he has stopped teaching. So, what gives?

gabe
12-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Retracted.

sanjuro_ronin
12-05-2007, 09:35 AM
This stuff is so inappropriate !

Here, look at this pic if you doubt me about the 300lbs thing. This is an older pic, he's much heavier now.
Did you get permission from the people in that pic, to post it on a public forum?

I don't see how anyone can bring up that someone else has an illness without their permission and think they are in the "right".
:confused:

Dale Dugas
12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
That is not Shifu Rick Gamboa. He would not post his name as Master anything. Feel free to check out that creeps IP. It will not lead back to Shifu Rick Gamboa.

Dale Dugas
12-05-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm just amazed that Manuel is still teaching. I mean, he weighs over 300lbs, and has AIDS, how does he have the strength?

You are nothing but some scumbag troll using Shifu Rick Gamboa's name to start some crap.

You are not Shifu Rick Gamboa

I hope to meet up with you one day and give you lessons in Wu De.

Dale Dugas
12-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Question for you Master Rick. Gamboa, right?
Is this you?
http://www.myspace.com/actionkungfu_spm

Aren't you a student of Roger Hagood? And a former student of Manny Rodriguez? And was it you that had been claiming to be a student of Manny's teacher, Sammy Wong, for many years until recently being outed by Sammy Wong's student? Apparantly Sammy Wong didn't appreciate you claiming to be his student when you two have never met?

This would explain your posts.

I wonder if you are this masterrickg as you were the only one to bring up the name and a myspace page.

I like how none of these donkies ever post contact information as that means you can be traced and your actions could follow you back to your location.

You seem to have a bone to pick with Shifu Rick Gamboa.

Jealousy rears its head again and makes more mouthboxers come out.

Anytime you want to come taste my hand, feel free.

Shifu Rick Gamboa is a kung fu brother of mine. Insulting him is insulting me.

Be thankful you hide rather than step up and admit who you really are and where you live so people could come and see if you had any skill or not. Im betting you have none hence you make trouble for those who can.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

Ng Jit
12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
We are appalled that anyone (in this case masterrickg) would have the audacity bring anyone’s personal life into a public forum let alone Sifu Manuel’s. This is quite beyond the realms of decency, apparently this person has a very active imagination and is quite disturbed. This type of slander seems to be the same type of slander that the Hagoodites did back in 2000.

Masterrickg signed up for these forums on Dec. 2 this year and posted between 2 and 3am in the morning in this thread and NO where else. How shameful to him and those that are responsible for him to display this type of behavior. This makes me wonder who could raise a child to be a human with such lack of respect for peoples lives.

“I will produce my medical records in a few hours I have been suffering from ‘leukemia’. I was diagnosed 5 years ago. This sadly is the only recourse that I have to end this slander. My Physician will be informed that my records are to be made public he is Dr. Evan Slater. A well known Oncologist at Ventura County Medical Center. My physician as well as my attorney will be informed about my decision to make my medical records public”

This is obviously a poor attempt at preventing us from sharing authentic kung fu and being successful with it. We know beyond a doubt that masterrickg or etc. etc. etc. is not Richard Gamboa.

“I have personally spoken with him on the phone only moments ago. He may have made mistakes in the past when he was young. But he is an adult now and I believe him. I will not rest until this is resolved mark my words.”

sanjuro_ronin
12-05-2007, 02:15 PM
We are appalled that anyone (in this case masterrickg) would have the audacity bring anyone’s personal life into a public forum let alone Sifu Manuel’s. This is quite beyond the realms of decency, apparently this person has a very active imagination and is quite disturbed. This type of slander seems to be the same type of slander that the Hagoodites did back in 2000.

Masterrickg signed up for these forums on Dec. 2 this year and posted between 2 and 3am in the morning in this thread and NO where else. How shameful to him and those that are responsible for him to display this type of behavior. This makes me wonder who could raise a child to be a human with such lack of respect for peoples lives.

“I will produce my medical records in a few hours I have been suffering from ‘leukemia’. I was diagnosed 5 years ago. This sadly is the only recourse that I have to end this slander. My Physician will be informed that my records are to be made public he is Dr. Evan Slater. A well known Oncologist at Ventura County Medical Center. My physician as well as my attorney will be informed about my decision to make my medical records public”

This is obviously a poor attempt at preventing us from sharing authentic kung fu and being successful with it. We know beyond a doubt that masterrickg or etc. etc. etc. is not Richard Gamboa.

“I have personally spoken with him on the phone only moments ago. He may have made mistakes in the past when he was young. But he is an adult now and I believe him. I will not rest until this is resolved mark my words.”

I don't think you need to post any medical records because of this troll, a persons privacy is very important and I for one don't need to know anything of that nature.
This individual is obviously disturbed and has some serious mental issues, as can be seen by all.

Dale Dugas
12-05-2007, 02:20 PM
There is no need to make private records public.

Trolls and cowards do not have the power to control people.

Ng Jit
12-05-2007, 02:58 PM
How tragic that in this age someone can be slandered and his reputation can be marred by someone shouting out that a person has a terminal illness that the person doesn’t even have. It is a shame that this has happened again on these forums and I personally would like to apologize to the Administrators of this forum. What a shame that somone would try to derail the progression of kung fu in such a way.

However my Sifu feels that to remove any margin of doubt, that he must post his records. He has nothing to hide and this pointless slander is getting old. This has happened before and it is disgusting. Just some keyboard warrior who is jealous or has a grudge bantering away. This person probably doesn’t even realize he has committed a criminal offense...

So my sifu will be giving me his medical records in a bit to post... :/
This just makes me sad...

Ng Jit

Ng Jit
12-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Here they are

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/madpoppet/meddoc0001.png

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/madpoppet/meddoc0002.png

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/madpoppet/meddoc0003.png

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/madpoppet/meddoc0004.png

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/madpoppet/meddoc0005.png

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/madpoppet/meddoc0006.png

"Here is a sampling of my medical records as promised. The time frame from which this person is speaking of says here that I have lukema. I am sure that this evidence will satisfy any curiosty, there are plenty of medical journals out there on the web.

Perhaps now that this issue has been settled with hard evidence we can start a new thread and get back to the primary reason for these forums... Education of kung fu and the unification of chinese martial artists... I appoligize to all of my kung fu brothers and sisters who have had to deal with this. I hope that you understand that I could not allow these slanderous accusations continue.

Be informed masterrickg whoever you are that I have an appointment with my attorney on Friday and I will use any means possible to prevent you from using your dirty mud slinging on me or anyone else.

Lets get on with the kung fu, does anyone have anything to say about the importance on training apperatus's in SPM.

God Bless,
Sifu Manuel Rodriguez"

That was from my teacher this is from me... DUDE grow up....

sanjuro_ronin
12-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Wow, Sifu Rodriguez is 100% a pure class act.
We didn't need to see the proof sifu, your word was more than good enough.

Back to the thread:

Lets get on with the kung fu, does anyone have anything to say about the importance on training apperatus's in SPM.

Some have issues with training dummies and such because they are not 'alive" or because they do not give an anotomical representation of a real person.
They seem to not relaize that you are NOT fighting the dummy, you are developing skills on it, devleoping certain attributes.
Keetlebells don't look like people either...

One thing though, I do feel tha it is vital to "play" the dummy like you would a real person, with intent and power.

gabe
12-06-2007, 06:44 AM
I wonder if you are this masterrickg as you were the only one to bring up the name and a myspace page.

I like how none of these donkies ever post contact information as that means you can be traced and your actions could follow you back to your location.

You seem to have a bone to pick with Shifu Rick Gamboa.

Jealousy rears its head again and makes more mouthboxers come out.

Anytime you want to come taste my hand, feel free.

Shifu Rick Gamboa is a kung fu brother of mine. Insulting him is insulting me.

Be thankful you hide rather than step up and admit who you really are and where you live so people could come and see if you had any skill or not. Im betting you have none hence you make trouble for those who can.

Good luck, you are going to need it.

Yes, I would have a bone to pick with Gamboa. IF he was the one who just trolled Sifu Rodriguez. If not, then Gamboa has my apologies. I shouldn't have jumped the gun. Whoever the troll is, libel is not a good thing to practise.

Ng Jit
12-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Thank you for your support in this horrible situation and thank you for your astuteness with Richard Gamboa and some of the things he has been involved with in the past. As my sifu said and I quoted earlier he was on the phone with rick and rick was the one who brought this slander to our attention.

Thank again for your defense in this unfortunate situation. Feel free to contact us anytime.... My sifu considers you a friend and would like to stay in touch...