PDA

View Full Version : college studies and professions related to qigong, meditation, kungfu, healing, acupuncture and the

o
01-23-2001, 04:27 AM
I have 2 questions.

1) I am interested in qigong, meditation, eastern philosophies (esp. Zen Buddhism), and other related things. Are there any college programs or courses that could incorporate any of the above? I imagine that there would be something about eastern philosophies but I dont' know about the rest.

2) What are all of the different professions that involve qigong, meditation, kungfu, healing, acupuncture or anything else related?

Shaolin Master
01-23-2001, 04:41 AM
If you do a course in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) it covers most topics mentioned. You could select a range of electives usually to cover religious studies.

Typically TCM courses include philosophy, TCM theory, Acuouncture, Massage, Herbalism, Dietary Therapy, Pathophysiology, Tai Qi/Qi Gong (usually one semester only though), a little language studies, and the like.

Kung fu you could do on the side and the teacher usually would reinforce the academic studies of the traditional medicine.

2) What are all of the different professions that involve qigong, meditation, kungfu, healing, acupuncture or anything else related?

The profession mixing all those would be TCM Doctor/KungFu Teacher which is most common.

Regards

Shi Chan Long

Ma_Xu_Zha
01-23-2001, 06:53 PM
Most accupunture colleges here in the states ususally offer qigong and taiji clases along with TCM.

brucelee2
01-23-2001, 07:43 PM
I think that someone posted recently (on maybe the kung fu forum or internal arts) that you could go to either the Naropa Institute (in boulder colorado?) or Esalen institute (I forget which) and have your university major be Tai Chi (and I don't know what else).

o
01-24-2001, 04:17 AM
I was looking for something more in the range of Zen training with healing people (with qi) on the side. Is such a combo possible (as a profession)?

ninja turtle
02-08-2001, 08:42 PM
check out naturalhealers.com for schools- good stuff.

GeneChing
11-04-2019, 09:38 AM
woohoo! thread necromancy from 2001 to 2019. yaaaaaaaaaaasssssssss!

I knew there would be a qigong thread relevant to universities here somewhere. :cool:

Local university helps spread benefits of qigong, tai chi (https://www.shine.cn/news/metro/1910294792/)
Yang Meiping
17:38 UTC+8, 2019-10-29

The Taiji Health Center at Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine has signed an agreement with the Macau Traditional Chinese Medicine Society to cooperate in health education and research.

The two parties also plan to set up a branch of the taiji health center in the special administrative region.

The agreement was signed during the second China-Shanghai International Taiji Health Symposium and the 15th China-Shanghai International Symposium on Qigong Science, which gathered about 200 experts and qigong enthusiasts from China, the US, Japan, France, Germany, Sweden, Singapore and elsewhere.

Yang Yongqing, vice president of Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, said tai chi and qigong are important parts of traditional Chinese culture and have made active contributions to the physical and psychological health of the Chinese people.

“A lot of research and practice has proven that they are effective in treating diseases before they appear and also curing chronic diseases. So they are worth promoting widely,” he said.

Zhang Huaiqiong, deputy director of the Shanghai Health Commission, said Shanghai has organized 14 symposiums on qigong science since 1986, making great contributions to international exchanges in the area.

According to Li Jie, director of the Shanghai Qigong Research Institute, qigong is increasingly popular in the world, and so are cooperations with outside institutions.

The School of Medicine Lyon-East, University Claude Bernard Lyon 1, is a good example of international cooperation. It has been sending professors and students to the Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine to participate in a training program for medical professionals from the Belt and Road countries since 2017.

Li and some of her colleagues were invited to deliver lectures at the French institute over the past year. And the two universities now plan to set up a summer camp next year with courses in humanities and medicine.

Source: SHINE Editor: Yang Meiping

GeneChing
10-12-2021, 08:31 AM
Baduanjin qigong becomes compulsory course at University of Johannesburg (http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2021-10/12/content_77802761.htm)

Xinhua, October 12, 2021

The Complementary Medicine Department at the University of Johannesburg (UJ) has incorporated the Baduanjin qigong exercise into its curriculum, of which students find it both interesting and refreshing.

After taking part in an outdoor exercise which was lead by a coach from UJ Confucius Institute, a second-year student in Complementary Medicine Department said she found Baduanjin exercise simple to learn.

"I did feel it was a form of meditation, the moves are very easy, they are not strenuous, easy to learn as well," said Dhyana Cgarach, adding that "it actually helps us to understand what qi is."

The Baduanjin qigong is one of the most common forms of Chinese qigong used as exercise. It is primarily designated as a form of medical qigong, meant to improve health.

First-year student Ariano Mudau told Xinhua that the course had given her new perspectives on medicine.

"Most people are used to looking at it in the Western view but with Chinese medicine, I've learned that the body is one and we learn about holism as well. You learn to treat the body as a whole and that's very interesting to me because I never thought of that. It's a different perspective and it's very interesting," she said.

According to supervisor Dr. Hu Zijing, the course was to ensure that it was on par with what was being taught in Chinese universities.

"This activity is part of a medical exercise that can promote the health of the practitioners. It can improve the qi of the practitioner, which can also promote the efficiency of acupuncture treatment. This design of the curriculum also benchmarked with the design in China," he said.

Dr. Hu said the Baduanjin exercise was significant since it teaches prevention. "Prevention is very important and Chinese medicine includes multiple interventions like diets, exercise, hormonal medicine, the food as a therapy. South Africa's public can benefit a lot from the course."

In recent years, more and more South Africans have become interested in Chinese medicine.

Hu said in his clinic, he was seeing more than 60 percent of patients were local people.

"I can see the increase of local patients yearly, In my practice, I'm seeing more locals than Chinese," he said.

Cgarach said she was satisfied with what she was learning.

"We learn intensively, it is satisfying because we get help a lot of people when we are at home and my mom says 'I have a headache', I can find points and treat if I need to," she said.

After graduation, she and her classmates will be qualify for Chinese medicine practitioner, being able to do acupuncture, cupping and tuina massage.

"I think the world in general will find appreciation of Chinese medicine," Mudau said, adding that "we can definitely integrate Chinese medicine into our primary healthcare. People will greatly benefit from this."

threads
college-studies-and-professions-related-to-qigong-meditation-kungfu-healing-acupuncture-and-the (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?4916-college-studies-and-professions-related-to-qigong-meditation-kungfu-healing-acupuncture-and-the)
Baduanjin-(8-section-brocade) (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?56712-Baduanjin-(8-section-brocade))