PDA

View Full Version : Bringing CLF back into the fold...

Eric Olson
11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Southern Forumers-

After a long hiatus from CLF (and from the kung fu forum) I feel ready to incorporate CLF back into the fold. I've been hitting the heavy bag at the gym that I go to and alot of what I've been doing is a combination of Chen Taiji, CLF and some boxing that I picked up.

I don't know if I can bring it all back in. Some of it doesn't work so well with Taiji. I still have some issues with the long swinging strikes (which I've come to think are too slow and potentially harmful for my body type.)

But honestly, I miss the CLF and I did it for so long that its kind of ingrained. So I'm looking for ways to incorporate it back in, even if not all of it.

Cheers

EO

banditshaw
11-30-2007, 11:36 AM
You can shorten your bridges easily. Not everything when working the bag has to be'' textbook form'' perfect.

fawlung
11-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Why are the strikes too slow right now for you? What is it about your body type that it would not be suited for CLF?

Jeong
11-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't know if I can bring it all back in. Some of it doesn't work so well with Taiji. I still have some issues with the long swinging strikes (which I've come to think are too slow and potentially harmful for my body type.)

Many of those long swinging strikes are meant (or at least can as well be used) as forearm strikes, not necessarily strikes with the fist. When you're in forearm range striking with these swinging strikes it makes it a lot harder to get outta the way.

Mano Mano
11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi Southern Forumers-

After a long hiatus from CLF (and from the kung fu forum) I feel ready to incorporate CLF back into the fold. I've been hitting the heavy bag at the gym that I go to and alot of what I've been doing is a combination of Chen Taiji, CLF and some boxing that I picked up.

But honestly, I miss the CLF and I did it for so long that its kind of ingrained. So I'm looking for ways to incorporate it back in, even if not all of it.

Cheers

EOBags are a good training aid, but to get your strikes up to speed & the timing right you need partner work.

Eric Olson
11-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Ok...so here's my perspective.

If you are a little guy (ie not a lot of mass) then you need a way to generate more force in your strikes. If you are a big guy you have more force but you need a way to generate more speed.

So for a big guy like myself the long swinging strikes don't make much sense. Their designed to generate a lot of power, but in my case its really overkill. And crucial speed is sacrificed.

For example, a strike that would be better for a big guy would be boxing hook over a Sau Chui. The hook is faster (less distance to travel, less inertia to overcome to initiate it.)

I also have concerns about using the forearm as an anatomical weapon. In order to use it effectively you basically need to beat the hell out of it. In the long run, I don't think it is healthy for your bones, tendon and connective tissue.

What makes more sense to me is a strike that forms a clear path from the ground to the striking surface. (That surface could be a fist, elbow, knee, foot or hip.) The ground is always "behind" the strike when you make contact, not just air, which is the case if you use the forearm.

So what I'd like to do is retain some of those CLF techniques other than the long swinging strikes. However, I'm not sure if I'd really be doing CLF anymore.

No response necessary, I'm basically just thinking out loud. But please chime in if you've got any million dollar ideas.

Cheers

EO

Satori Science
11-30-2007, 05:01 PM
correct me if I'm wrong,
but eric here sounds a lot like fu pow to me???

hskwarrior
11-30-2007, 05:16 PM
it IS fu pow!!!!!!!!!!

fu pows real name is eric olson

yutyeesam
11-30-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm sure you already know this, but I'll mention it anyway -

as long as your core, that is, your feet, legs, knees, hips, waist, chest, shoulders are doing the the main mechanics, you can still be incorporating the concepts of CLF. Since CLF is so versatile, you can focus in on shorter range techniques, if you don't want to go long. Frank mentioned awhile ago to not forget about elbows and knees in their CLF. As long as that core has it's presence, it doesn't matter what you throw.

How's NY?

doug maverick
11-30-2007, 06:11 PM
well considering that alot of the kung fu masters were little guys with not alot of mass and still generated alot of power it can be done. its body mechanics and using whole body and whipping power.

diego
11-30-2007, 06:30 PM

If you are a little guy (ie not a lot of mass) then you need a way to generate more force in your strikes. If you are a big guy you have more force but you need a way to generate more speed.

So for a big guy like myself the long swinging strikes don't make much sense. Their designed to generate a lot of power, but in my case its really overkill. And crucial speed is sacrificed.

For example, a strike that would be better for a big guy would be boxing hook over a Sau Chui. The hook is faster (less distance to travel, less inertia to overcome to initiate it.)

I also have concerns about using the forearm as an anatomical weapon. In order to use it effectively you basically need to beat the hell out of it. In the long run, I don't think it is healthy for your bones, tendon and connective tissue.

What makes more sense to me is a strike that forms a clear path from the ground to the striking surface. (That surface could be a fist, elbow, knee, foot or hip.) The ground is always "behind" the strike when you make contact, not just air, which is the case if you use the forearm.

So what I'd like to do is retain some of those CLF techniques other than the long swinging strikes. However, I'm not sure if I'd really be doing CLF anymore.

No response necessary, I'm basically just thinking out loud. But please chime in if you've got any million dollar ideas.

Cheers

EO

no it's all in the footwork..if you can step fast into him you can swing just as quick...kung fu wasn't developed by people with fat bellies!.

you shouldn't have a gut unless your teacher smokes opium...

Eric Olson
11-30-2007, 07:50 PM
it IS fu pow!!!!!!!!!!

fu pows real name is eric olson

Haha...actually Eric Olson's real name is Eric Olson. Fu-Pow is just a figment of your imagination;).

EO

hskwarrior
11-30-2007, 08:01 PM
nah, you/he will always be a hater

CLFNole
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Now Frankie, play nice :D (at least for now ;))

Havick01
11-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Now Frankie, play nice :D (at least for now ;))

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric Olson
11-30-2007, 09:59 PM
nah, you/he will always be a hater

Frank, I don't really hate anyone. Well, maybe some politicians.

EO

Eric Olson
11-30-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm sure you already know this, but I'll mention it anyway -

as long as your core, that is, your feet, legs, knees, hips, waist, chest, shoulders are doing the the main mechanics, you can still be incorporating the concepts of CLF. Since CLF is so versatile, you can focus in on shorter range techniques, if you don't want to go long. Frank mentioned awhile ago to not forget about elbows and knees in their CLF. As long as that core has it's presence, it doesn't matter what you throw.

Good points and I think that is where I'm going with it.

How's NY?

Very different than Sea-town, everything moves faster and yet when I think back to all the things I've done since I moved here, it seems like I've already been here a long time.

Kind of paradoxical.

EO

The Xia
12-01-2007, 11:05 AM

If they are slow, why not just train the long, swinging strikes to be faster? You aren't the only tall CLF player in the world.

So why not just make sure you are doing it correctly and use lots of jow? If you look at the old guard in TCMA, conditioning anatomical weapons is a biggie. Check out Lam Jo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc8B46ChQcA
I remember him telling a story about a fight where he broke a staff with his bridge. In that video he’s 93 years old and moves great.