PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with a "Scrapper"

D-FENS
11-30-2007, 01:11 PM
A majority of martial artists, especially those of lesser stature, train with the premise of defending ourselves against a much larger, heavier opponent. But ironically enough, the kind of fighter that has always given me the most trouble are not the big corn-fed muscleboys, but the fast, wiry "street rat" types that make up for their lack of size with sheer aggression. A good example would be that Bumfights video of the crackhead in Las Vegas who demolishes a blue PT cruiser. Traditionally I find this type of fighter the most difficult to deal with, and believe it or not, I'd much rather have to fight a 6'1, 250-pound Jabba the Hut clone than one of these guys. Because IME if you knock them down, they'll just get up and keep coming at you until you somehow incapacitate them.

I realize there are no cut-an-dried answers for this type of thing, but I'd be interested in hearing in how you would use the methods of your system to counter such a 100% committed attack.

sanjuro_ronin
11-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Rear Naked Choke

monji112000
11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Rear Naked Choke
I prefer to stab them i the eye with a small but sharp knife. Or shoot them in the leg.
(it doesn't matter which one):)

sanjuro_ronin
11-30-2007, 01:34 PM
I prefer to stab them i the eye with a small but sharp knife. Or shoot them in the leg.

That'll just pizz them off

monji112000
11-30-2007, 01:36 PM
really? you must fight some hardcore guys. What about shooting them in the ***?
I also like using an axe (back in VA I used to chop allot of wood).:confused:

xcakid
11-30-2007, 02:02 PM

I have the same technique :D

Mook Jong
11-30-2007, 02:20 PM
only works if the bullet is silver:p

diego
11-30-2007, 02:25 PM
A majority of martial artists, especially those of lesser stature, train with the premise of defending ourselves against a much larger, heavier opponent. But ironically enough, the kind of fighter that has always given me the most trouble are not the big corn-fed muscleboys, but the fast, wiry "street rat" types that make up for their lack of size with sheer aggression. A good example would be that Bumfights video of the crackhead in Las Vegas who demolishes a blue PT cruiser. Traditionally I find this type of fighter the most difficult to deal with, and believe it or not, I'd much rather have to fight a 6'1, 250-pound Jabba the Hut clone than one of these guys. Because IME if you knock them down, they'll just get up and keep coming at you until you somehow incapacitate them.

I realize there are no cut-an-dried answers for this type of thing, but I'd be interested in hearing in how you would use the methods of your system to counter such a 100% committed attack.

me...keep a boxer gaurd, punch the **** out of him till my knuckle is broken and he falls and lay the boots...i'm not wrestling a crackhead.

someone bigger than me but equal skill i'm cool with wrestling with because my bro's older friends used to beat my ass...someone bigger and more skill, god i hope i have a knife on me...

Mas Judt
11-30-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree, they are much more of a PIA.

My solution however is no different. I'm a hammer and the whole world is a nail.

Lucas
11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
incapacitate them.

IMO, thats the ticket right there.

Of course as self defense students we are sometimes taught to only use as much force as neccessary. However dealing with a person who is violent, and possibly experienced at fighting, calls for maximum force, imo.

Threat assessment of course is fully required in a situation like that, but if you can tell someone is that aggressive and set on destruction, like you said yourself, not much is going to stop them short of incapacitation.

So that leads us with how to deal with an aggressive scrapper martially. Thats where your training comes in, either you are getting good training or you arent. Unfortunately its something you are going to need to fall back on. Actively though, maximum force with intent to end the situation as fast as possible. With a person like that I am going to do anything in my power to stop them, so hopefully being armed is an option. Luckily for me it is.

monji112000
11-30-2007, 02:33 PM
only works if the bullet is silver:p
hmm you may be correct. Dim mak may work well for crackheads, its something about the drugs in the blood.

monji112000
11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
I agree, they are much more of a PIA.

My solution however is no different. I'm a hammer and the whole world is a nail.

good idea. I would say use a nail gun but why would you have a nail gun?

Mas Judt
11-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Sometimes people forget in CMA that you need to learn to hit REALLY F@CKING HARD. And if you can do THAT, it covers for a lot of problems.

Mook Jong
11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
hmm you may be correct. Dim mak may work well for crackheads, its something about the drugs in the blood.

well the drugs in the blood clogs things up making chi harder to move and easier to block. DUH :D

MightyB
11-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Move really fast.

Use palms instead of fists- Attack in a straight line

Never Kick above the waste

Over Power them if they try to wrestle

Be agressive

Protect your Head and your balls

Slam and Push them into things and keep 'em off balance

Always follow up and follow through.

and most importantly- don't be a pu$$ and accept the fact that you will get hit.

Yum Cha
11-30-2007, 04:34 PM
I used to spar a guy just like that. Lots of ouch.

You got to get a hold of them, by the clothing or hair (not your mates mind you) and apply your size advantage keeping them from that nasty re-grouping thing they do, and just lay on the punishment.

Shins, ankles, knees, anything to slow down their mobility and speed advantage.

unkokusai
11-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Grappling domination takes the wind out of a Spaz quick enough.

golden arhat
11-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Rear Naked Choke

fully agree

if he's an obvious addict type guy

then smack his head with something hard

D-FENS
11-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Some great responses dudes, much appreciated!

David Jamieson
12-01-2007, 07:57 AM
total aggression and relentlessness in attacking.

failing that: 9mm :p

Seppukku
12-01-2007, 08:07 AM
If you run away, he'll run after you, and he'll spend all his energy. I suggest climbing up a fireescape and using your parkour training to leap from building to building. Do a fakie to reverse 640 on the edge of the building (you fake jumping to the next building's fire escape (which is pretty far away), then you drop straight down, snag the nearest window ledge (be careful not to fall), and pull yourself up. He'll jump across and miss, and die. Or if he makes it, he's stuck on the other building's fire escape, and so he can't fight you. Of course, he just might run back to the rooftop and jump back across, and then do a fakie to reverse 640 to catch you. But if you do a Mendelian dismount with a Judo twist, you can get out of it and swing across to the adjacent building's window ledge with your bolo/grapnel combo attachment.

Either way, you're free and clear, and he might be dead on the ground (his own doing, too).;)

cjurakpt
12-01-2007, 08:12 AM
rip off his head

then sh1t down his neck

reattach the head

in short order he will develop septicemia and be far too preoccupied to handle you effectively

or, if all else fails...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w

unkokusai
12-01-2007, 09:02 AM
rip off his head

then sh1t down his neck

reattach the head

in short order he will develop septicemia and be far too preoccupied to handle you effectively

That's significantly more realistic than the parkour advice.

David Jamieson
12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
rip off his head

then sh1t down his neck

reattach the head

or, if all else fails...

yes, but what about pointed sticks?

D-FENS
12-01-2007, 10:24 AM
rip off his head

then sh1t down his neck

reattach the head

or, if all else fails...

What if I don't have to sh1t at the moment? Can I cryogenically freeze the head long enough for me to drink some Metamucil, then let rip and staple it back on?

If all else fails I'll post a youtube link. :p

Seppukku
12-01-2007, 11:26 AM
That's significantly more realistic than the parkour advice.

What do you know about parkour, mate?

cjurakpt
12-01-2007, 12:33 PM
yes, but what about pointed sticks?

SHUT UP!!!

cjurakpt
12-01-2007, 12:34 PM
What if I don't have to sh1t at the moment? Can I cryogenically freeze the head long enough for me to drink some Metamucil, then let rip and staple it back on?

If all else fails I'll post a youtube link. :p

well, that's advance planning, isn't it?

personally, I find bailing wire and creosote more effective than staples

diego
12-01-2007, 01:00 PM
If you run away, he'll run after you, and he'll spend all his energy. I suggest climbing up a fireescape and using your parkour training to leap from building to building. Do a fakie to reverse 640 on the edge of the building (you fake jumping to the next building's fire escape (which is pretty far away), then you drop straight down, snag the nearest window ledge (be careful not to fall), and pull yourself up. He'll jump across and miss, and die. Or if he makes it, he's stuck on the other building's fire escape, and so he can't fight you. Of course, he just might run back to the rooftop and jump back across, and then do a fakie to reverse 640 to catch you. But if you do a Mendelian dismount with a Judo twist, you can get out of it and swing across to the adjacent building's window ledge with your bolo/grapnel combo attachment.

Either way, you're free and clear, and he might be dead on the ground (his own doing, too).;)

dude, wrong thread...I think you meant to post in "The crack zombie kata masters from Hell room number 5" thread...search back to about 1985 it should be in there:).

Mr Punch
12-02-2007, 07:01 PM
What do you know about parkour, mate?Welcome, Seppuku... or should I say, welcome back Mega-Seppuku...? ;)

Seppuku would be the art of falling on your own judo katana would it? You know, to leave no witnesses?

Chosen-frozen
12-03-2007, 06:57 AM

Obviously a hardcore muay thai crackhead....all that sin kicking pays off , eventually making them bulletproof. The rest of us have to rely on using our Iron Crotch to knock the bullets out of the air.:cool:

RFM
12-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Is the attacker right handed? He is right handed correct? My stuff only works on guys who are right handed. When I was studying KF I could only afford half of the lessons, I never learned how to fight against a lefty. J/K

Seriously...shotgun. In Kansas most folks have em in the truck, car, ATV, etc...Probably why folks are so polite to one another out here.

Peace,
Bob

brothernumber9
12-03-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't remember who's post it was about using size advantage, but I agree with that most. I'm a smaller guy kinda with the aggro mentality but probably not as tenacious or tough. But, taking my own experiences into account, once a big guy gets a hold of the smaller scrapper, the scrapper is at a disadvantage, assuming the bigger dude can fight a bit and knows how to use thier size/weight.
It may be in the bigger persons benefit to take a few just to be able to grab up on the smaller person, then slam, smother, pound, the smaller person, things like that.

Koguryo Musa
12-03-2007, 11:55 PM
If you don't want to get him on the ground and brutalize him with your size advantage (assuming you have the ability) I'd suggest the following: A really hard side kick to the knee (while his foot is planted) with some serious follow through. Chances are he ends up with all or part of the unhappy triad. Once that knee is gone the only thing he'll be doing is flopping around on the ground screaming his head off. If you don't get the attacker well enough to shred his ligaments and tendons you still have the reflex of his arms opening up and his upper body falling forward, from your initial blow, which gives you an opening for a finishing blow of a spear hand to the throat or eyes. That's an option which gives you three pressure points to nail (knee, throat, eye).

unkokusai
12-04-2007, 06:50 AM
......................:rolleyes:

Ben Gash
12-04-2007, 07:07 AM
I usually want people to come at me aggressively, it makes it much easier to clinch with them, and once I'm clinched I can protect my head, and get into a position where I can do stuff to them, and they can't do stuff to me.
Failing that, a couple of good leg kicks will take a lot of the forward energy out of most people
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5mzX_1Zcvcs

onehawaiian
12-08-2007, 04:10 AM
depends on ur skill level, confidence, and willingness to engage.

my evasion is frustrates them.
trapping allows me to talk to my attacker and tell them their actions have inconvenienced me and they must therefore endure some pain.

every "scrappy" fighter can be made to desist.
there is a difference between pain and excruciating pain.
make sure they understand both.

Seppukku
12-08-2007, 08:36 AM
If you can't execute the fakie to precision, I recommend a wall-crawl. If you don't know that one, I don't know how to explain it. Also, there's this technique where you do a running backflip off one foot and land on the same foot you jumped off of. If he's catching up to you, execute the backflip, and then you'll be behind him, and you can either shoot him then, or start running in the other direction, and he won't see it until it's too late. I'm working on a combination where as you fly over his head, you reach down and twist his neck and break it, and shout "Decap, with a twist, b1tch!" Only, I seem to get caught when shouting "a twist", because it does something to my chi. Anyways, I always land on the other foot, which just ruins the technique.