PDA

View Full Version : Round house kick

Mook Jong
12-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm sure that this has come up before, but i got into an argument with my roommate about this. Some CN fact had been said about roundhouse kicks and i brought up the fact that chuck really made his name on spinning back kicks. My roommate says that they're the same thing. I was taught that a roundhouse is thrown like a leg kick in MMA, striking with the top of the foot or shin, not spinning and striking with the heel of the foot.

Thoughts?

The Xia
12-02-2007, 07:41 PM
I've heard lots of non-martial artists call the spinning back kick a roundhouse.

doug maverick
12-02-2007, 07:46 PM
I've heard lots of non-martial artists call the spinning back kick a roundhouse.

thats because of the street fighter games.

B-Rad
12-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Yup. The "roundhouse" button was a spinning kick for most characters.

bakxierboxer
12-02-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm sure that this has come up before, but i got into an argument with my roommate about this. Some CN fact had been said about roundhouse kicks and i brought up the fact that chuck really made his name on spinning back kicks. My roommate says that they're the same thing. I was taught that a roundhouse is thrown like a leg kick in MMA, striking with the top of the foot or shin, not spinning and striking with the heel of the foot.

Thoughts?

CN was most dominant before spinning back kicks.

The roundhouse kick started out in the USA with the JKA (mawashi-geri) and Kajukenbo versions which were done to strike with the ball of the foot.
It was performed like a front snap kick, but from a "horizontal chamber" formed by rotating the hips into the same relative position as for a completed side-thrust kick.

The top of the foot contact area came into use during the 80s(?) as a means of drawing attention to a "successful" kick without hurting/dropping your opponent and getting disqualified....
I pretty much decided that whole situation was caused by incompetent judging....

Mook Jong
12-02-2007, 08:59 PM
But the thing i find odd (and should have mentioned) is that my roommate has a TKD background. Do they call a spinning back kick a round house too?

bakxierboxer
12-02-2007, 09:05 PM
But the thing i find odd (and should have mentioned) is that my roommate has a TKD background. Do they call a spinning back kick a round house too?

I make it a point to know nothing about TKD (or any other KMA). :D :D :D
That said, "in the early days", most of what they taught/practiced was based on JMA Shotokan and even the "naming conventions" reflected that, with their "Hyungs" vs JMA "Heians", etc.

sanjuro_ronin
12-03-2007, 05:45 AM

No. never has been, never will be.

ITF still uses the "vertical chamber" round house kick, all rear leg kicks are chambered like a front kick and the via support foot and hip pivoting, the become round, side or hook ( "reverse round") kicks.
front leg kicks are chambered in a semi "neutral" way, though I have seen some do all kicks from the vertical chamber front leg too.

WTF uses a more "relaxed" chamber somewhere between the ITF one and the typical "karate" one.

Ben Gash
12-03-2007, 08:14 AM
When I did TKD it was turning kick for a roundhouse, and spinning side kick or back kick (depending on foot/hip alignment).

sanjuro_ronin
12-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Depending on the oganization, Tollyo cha ge or dolrya chagi, can be read as turning or around/round kick.

Seppukku
12-03-2007, 10:02 AM
The reason is, brothers, that TKD and Tang Soo Do call the "Heel kick" a "reverse Roundhouse".

You may thank me later in a PM, if you wish.

It'd be the polite thing to do.:)

Mook Jong
12-03-2007, 10:22 AM
The reason is, brothers, that TKD and Tang Soo Do call the "Heel kick" a "reverse Roundhouse".

A) I am not your brother and I get the feeling i speak for others when i say that

B) Don't hold your breath.

Mook Jong
12-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Thank you to everyone else though. I kinda figured he was just getting terms mixed up but i was still curious anyway.

Becca
12-03-2007, 10:27 AM
I've heard lots of non-martial artists call the spinning back kick a roundhouse.Sad but true. Many with no martial background also can't tell the difference between a roundhouse punch and a hey maker...:(;)

SevenStar
12-03-2007, 11:26 AM

here's the odd thing... when I was a kid, I actually trained at one of norris' schools. he had two of them in va beach. Anyhoo, we DID call a hook kick a reverse roundhouse...

And yeah, in streetfighter, all strong kicks were done with the roundhouse button. for many, it was a spinning kick. For some (like sagat) it was not.

SevenStar
12-03-2007, 11:29 AM

bingo. Norris's chun kuk do is basically tsd.

bakxierboxer
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
here's the odd thing... when I was a kid, I actually trained at one of norris' schools.

Sooo.... was that more like 1987 or 1992? :cool:

SevenStar
12-03-2007, 01:54 PM
hehe, it was actually around 85

David Jamieson
12-03-2007, 02:05 PM
meh, if it's not shaolin, it's crrrraaap. :p

bakxierboxer
12-03-2007, 08:50 PM
hehe, it was actually around 85

{{wuzatta giggle?}}
Anyhooo.... 8 years old seems appropriate for TKD/derivations.

Ah, yes!
"Ancient History"!