PDA

View Full Version : What is that One Thing?

RFM
12-03-2007, 07:47 AM
I have enough time to ask this question and I will answer later, but if you notice my signature its from the Book of Five Rings, "From one thing, know ten thousand" Is there a single teaching/lesson from your Kung Fu experience that really opened your eyes to the incredible possibilities of application? That "one thing" that perhaps could be basis for all your knowledge and technique?

Please share. For the novices who are reading these posts - take notes because sometimes it really is just that simple, but takes a lifetime to get it.

Peace,
Bob

Mas Judt
12-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Never spit in the wind.

MightyB
12-03-2007, 09:25 AM
K.eep
I.t
S.imple
S.tupid

I see people over analyze everything with kung fu. Why's Thai Boxing successful? 'Cuz it's the science of eight limbs- simple movements- unlimited combinations. Sam thing with San Da... simple movements' unlimited possibilities.

Heck, Bruce Lee's Tao of JKD was nothing more than a rehashing of The Book of Five Rings splashed and dashed with a little of The Book of Family Traditions.

Keep it simple.

Seppukku
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Always wear two pairs of underwear.

Always use two-ply toilet paper.

Always flush twice.

Never take sloppy seconds.

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-03-2007, 10:24 AM
When i realized most apps were really throws and not strikes.

Mook Jong
12-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Nothing is ever just a strike or just a block.

AND

If you see two girls brawlin at a party, 'accidently' spill your drink on them.

Thanks sifu:D

SPJ
12-03-2007, 01:39 PM
fights of any sorts large (war) or small (one to one hand combat)

are just random events.

we may increase our odds of winning, however, they are still random events.

:)

SPJ
12-03-2007, 01:40 PM
everything can be defeated.

:)

Yum Cha
12-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Ill agree with B. Simple is better than complex.

In many ways.

Simple is also relative...

SPJ
12-03-2007, 08:16 PM
KISS.

Keep it simple and straightforward.

1. simple in theory or tactics and strategy.

2. straightforward in moves.

ok, how is it simple.

May be 1 2 and 3.

1. move into a position.

2. neutralization of attack/s

3. counter attack (hit, qin na or throw)

--

However in mantis.

There are many neutralization and counter neutralization and counter and counter--

before the final 3.

ain't life is a b e a ch.

:D:eek::confused::mad:;):p

Yum Cha
12-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Simple - do you fear the man that practices 1 technique 10,000 times, or the man that owns 10,000 DVDs, and practices the content of each once?

Simple - don't think, do.

Simple - don't block, trap and strike when you can simply strike.

Simple - sink a knee waist deep into their groin and plant your forehead on the bridge of the nose. Works every time....

Fighting is a simple game, with simple rules done by simple people...:D

Koguryo Musa
12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Everything begins and ends with correct breathing. Form and technique flow, wasted thought stops, when I'm in control of my breathing.

Drake
12-04-2007, 02:16 AM
punch, kick.

RFM
12-04-2007, 09:34 AM
I learned that form is very important. Regardless of whether it is Kung Fu, pitching a baseball, swing a golf club, or doing a push-up - form is very important.

Also, I learned from my experience in the army - always keep an extra roll of toilet paper in you vehicle. You never know when you'll need it and if you should, you'll be glad you packed it.

Peace,
Bob

MightyB
12-04-2007, 09:49 AM
and I've already said one thing,

But this video reminded me of a very important life lesson that applies to martial arts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkDBflFtPIw

There's no secret mystical thing about the martial arts, it's just plain hard work. If you're asked to do 100 kicks- do 150.

sholo86
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Patience....is that one thing for me.

Everybody is in hurry nowadays be it in MA training to the simpliest thing as eating.

Be patient and and at the same time listen, then you'll see that things will just fall into its place.

No_Know
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Looking at a technique and thinking of optimum ways to over-come/beat it I came-up with something. Later reviewing forms so when I get back to class I can be no so bad, the answer to the technique could be a variation, perhaps several times removed, from a technique in the form from School.

Watching a weapons based techniques talkie where the main character studied for months to years, one technique to beat the bad~guys. And it was a technique from a class' weapon's form...Oh My Fruit! Each technique in the form might be like a secret or relied-upon highly significant technique that bridges greater use--variety with greater Understanding through Familiarity.

Pick one thing and learn it exceptionally well. Things transfer...the One thing to Know ten thousand.-ish

No_Know

mantis108
12-04-2007, 06:11 PM
I am surprised no one yet mentions - ALIVENESS! :eek:

Mantis108

No_Know
12-05-2007, 09:46 PM
The One thing from which ten thousand.

Aliveness? There might be a lot of things that do not happen without Life yet before the Aliveness was preperation for the arrival of the aliveness. Humans needed a planet. The planet needed the universe... More than alivenes might be Creativity. Base of Creativity might be thinking yet merely thinking does not automatically get one Creativity. And still prior to creativity might be Comprehension-from this One thing realization of ten thousand (tyep-of-thing)perhaps some might say.

I think it meant learn something almost anything very well and potentials and the variations of original use can be seen.-ish

But if youare going to try literal-ish beat God or Comprehension.

No_Know

sanjuro_ronin
12-06-2007, 05:37 AM
Power.

Without kitchen utencils.

g-bells
12-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Awareness

and don't eat yellow snow:rolleyes:

kidswarrior
12-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Practice slowly. Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. (First heard this as a Jimmy H Woo quote).