PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Vasquez thread

Takuan
12-02-2007, 01:54 AM
http://www.thefightnetwork.com./news_detail.php?nid=5555

TEXAS FIGHTER DIES

Sammy Vasquez, 35, Becomes MMA’s First Documented Fatality

By Anthony Armstrong

The Harris County Medical Examiner’s office confirmed today that Samuel Vasquez, a 35-year-old mixed martial artist from Houston, Texas, died on Friday, Nov. 30. A representative for the Joseph A. Jachimczyk Forensics Center verified the time of death at 8:15 p.m. CST. Vasquez’s death appears to be the first documented fatality resulting from a regulated MMA fight.

Vasquez (1-2) suffered a third-round knockout loss to Vince Libardi (4-3) during a Renegades Extreme Fighting bout on Oct. 20 at Houston’s Toyota Center. After the fight, Vasquez was taken to Saint Joseph Medical Center’s Critical Care Unit, where he began a 47-day struggle.

The official cause of Vasquez’s death has not been released, pending a determination from the medical examiner.

During his hospitalization, Vasquez’s wife, Sandra, is believed to have documented his status on a public comment board at TXMMA.com. She reportedly wrote that Vasquez underwent surgery to remove a blood clot that was not a result of the initial injury. This has led to speculation that Vasquez may have had a pre-existing condition.

According to the comments posted, Vasquez then suffered a second blood clot, fluid on his brain, brain swelling and a massive stroke that induced a coma.

The Vasquez family has not spoken directly to the press.

According to a report by Sherdog.com, Vasquez had been released to an area hospice on Nov. 29. Hospice care is traditionally provided for patients who have been given six months or less to live.

Paul Erickson, owner of TXMMA.com, photographed the event in which Vasquez was injured.

“There was nothing out of the ordinary,” Erickson said. “They scrambled and hit the cage. Sammy stood up and looked a little wobbly. Then he when down again and the referee called the doctor in. It didn’t seem like any was out of the ordinary. Sammy was winded and looked exhausted, but he wasn’t unconscious when they carried him out [on a stretcher]. Everyone was puzzled at the time because no one could tell when or where he was injured.”

Erickson, who has trained in and covered Texas MMA since 1997, also observed that “the cage was properly padded and reinforced, everything was inspected before the fights started, and there were no illegal moves or strikes. This is the frustrating part, in that there’s no easy explanation.”

In the sport’s 14-year history in the United States, there had been no serious life-threatening injuries. The only reported death occurred internationally at a non-regulated event in the Ukraine in 1998 after American Doug Dedge passed out shortly following his bout. Following his death, unsubstantiated reports claimed Dedge had a pre-existing medical condition.

In a previous interview, Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation representative Greg Alvarez said the TDLR was monitoring Vasquez’s condition closely. “If Sammy’s condition takes a turn for the worse,” Alvarez said, “we will investigate [the incident] further.”

Alvarez had also stated that TDLR ensured all of the regulations, licensing and safety checklists were adhered to but had been reluctant to talk about the night Vasquez was critically injured.

Renegades Extreme Fighting is owned and promoted by Saul Soliz, a longtime striking coach to Tito Ortiz and Ricco Rodriguez and well respected figure in the MMA community. Renegades has held 23 events to date. Soliz has not returned repeated calls for comment.

In her last purported TXMMA.com posting on Nov. 17, Vasquez’s wife stated, “I do not hold anyone responsible for what has happened, and I know in my heart that Sammy doesn’t either ... Please do not speculate as to what, when, where, who or how. It’s part of life, things happen.”

Vasquez is survived by his wife, Sandra, and 7-year-old son.

Crazy business, and very sad :(

sanjuro_ronin
12-03-2007, 05:52 AM
There was a death before this, in a MMA even in kiev I think.

1bad65
12-03-2007, 08:06 AM
It was reported earlier that Mr. Vasquez had a pre-existing blood clot before the fight.

All of the accounts of those who saw the fight said he did not take alot of shots, but looked very tired throughout the fight.

There are alot pf posts about this from when the fight happened up to now over on txmma.com

GeneChing
12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
We all knew it was only a matter of time. People die in all high impact sports.

Here's the AP report

Man dies after injury in mixed martial arts fight (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8TA37H81.html)
12/03/2007
Associated Press

A mixed martial arts fighter died after suffering injuries in what may be the first fatality following a sanctioned bout.

Sam Vasquez of Houston, 35, was injured at the Toyota Center on Oct. 20 and died Friday. The Harris County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed Vasquez's death, but the cause was still to be determined.

In 1998, American Doug Dedge died after being knocked out in an unregulated fight in the Ukraine.

Vasquez was hospitalized after he was knocked out by Vince Libardi of San Antonio in the third round of a fight at the Renegades Extreme Fighting show. Immediately following the knockout, he lost consciousness and suffered a seizure.

He had been in intensive care at St. Joseph Medical Center before being transferred to a hospice last Monday. Vasquez suffered a massive stroke while hospitalized.

Comments attributed to Vasquez's wife Sandra on the mixed martial arts forum http://www.txmma.com indicated he was in a medically induced coma and had undergone two surgeries to remove blood clots in his brain. Vasquez was required to be medically cleared to fight, as are all combat sports bouts sanctioned by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

"It's a terrible thing; a rare thing," Lewis Wood, who assisted with preparations for the fight but was not Vasquez's primary trainer, told the Houston Chronicle. "Obviously, injuries are common, but no one ever expects anything like this to happen. He was the nicest guy in the world. This is a hard one for everyone who knew him."

Saul Soliz, the Renegades promoter, has been staging professional and amateur shows in the state since 2000. He had the necessary license to stage the event.

Vasquez is survived by his wife and a son.

Watching for more fallout. :(

GeneChing
12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Spoil my merge fu fun. Now my title for my last post makes no sense at all. :( You know, I totally set up that MMA Death (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48919) thread with the intention of adding this inevitable news story. That's why I set it up so. maybe we should fire... (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49219) ;) Just kidding. Actually, you're right. This deserves its own thread because it's huge. Usually, I post consecutive news stories on a thread like this, but at the risk of making a horribly morbid pun, this story has choked out my newsfeeds. I haven't seen a bigger MA story come down the newsfeeds in a while.

If anyone sees any political backlash - cries to shut down MMA - please post it here.

GeneChing
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
here's a little local commentary...

Dec. 8, 2007, 5:01AM
In lieu of outcry, a plea for safety (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/5362064.html)

By JEROME SOLOMON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

I won't even attempt to explain why people are interested in mixed martial arts.

Basically, you would have to pay me to watch the mess.

It is crude, barbaric and without the style or grace that I like to see in sport. It certainly isn't sweet or scientific to these untrained, laser vision-corrected eyes.

And now Sammy Vasquez, husband, father and mixed martial artist is dead. The Houston-based fighter lost his life six weeks after leaving the "cage" on a stretcher following a loss at Toyota Center.

Vasquez, 35, went down for the last time in the third round of a fight against Vince Libardi on Oct. 20. He died Nov. 30 and was buried Thursday.

You might think the national debate about a sport so many find repulsive would rise to a new level because of the death of Vasquez. You might think people would ask more questions more loudly. You might think lawmakers would gather hastily for an emergency session to address the
situation.

Fatal flaw in statistic
After all, a man, a father, a husband, lost his life after being injured in the cage at an MMA fight. It has been a week since Vasquez passed away. Where is the outrage?

There isn't any. And you know what? There shouldn't be. Not yet anyway.

Like many, I'm disgusted by buttermilk, liver and mixed martial arts. Yet, despite the death of Vasquez, I won't start the debate about banning MMA fighting. Just make sure it is as safe as we can make it.

You don't have to like or understand the sport to accept that in many ways it is no more dangerous than many of the sports we love. Or at least there hasn't been much evidence presented that says otherwise.

For years, MMA supporters have been knocking Santa off of rooftops so they could shout out the "statistic" that no fighter had died due to injuries related to a sanctioned bout in this country.

No denying the intensity
Like soccer zealots, politicians and $64,000 Question contestants, they have ready-made answers for every question. Talk to them and you'll hear about death and injury rates in sporting activities from darts to cheerleading. Yes, cheerleading. Yes, darts.

A boxing match is a challenging life test few get to experience. One thing that makes boxing the sport it is, is the intensity you feel watching fighters deal with the pressure and fear of knowing they might be carried out of the ring.

But the sport is on the ropes. The Floyd Mayweather-Oscar De La Hoya fight was enough of a flurry to keep the sport from being knocked out. But tonight's Mayweather-Ricky Hatton bout in Las Vegas could be just a standing-eight-count reprieve for a sport that has been ruined by a slew of bad decisions (business-wise), bad publicity and bad decisions (ringside).

Mixed martial arts as a whole — and there are several independent organizations in the sport, most notably the Ultimate Fighting Championships — has created a rabid fan base and done an excellent job marketing itself to a generation of fans who are thrilled by violent movies, raging video games and extreme sports.

Argue the beauty, but the intensity is there. It is boxing for this generation.

More oversight?
Before letters of the alphabet were used to describe generations, Evel Knievel, who died the same day as Vasquez, was pretty much the lone extremist wowing national television audiences. Now there are teenagers willing to perform stunts more dangerous than many of his just to get videos on the Internet.

Should we ban skate-boarding events because those nuts can free-fall 30 feet onto concrete? Should we ban cheerleading competitions because one slip-up and Little Missy is sent plunging from the top of the pyramid?

Hardly.

The same goes for MMA fighting. It's too late.

All we can do is regulate and hope for the best. To this point, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation has found nothing improper in its investigation into Vasquez's death.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined by the Harris County Medical Examiner's Office, and the results might not be released for several weeks. Maybe then we will know more about what could have been done to save Vasquez.

Maybe more testing is needed before fighters are allowed to enter the ring. Maybe the more extensive testing required of fighters at least 36 years old will be extended to all competitors.

Maybe we need tighter guidelines on determining what makes for a sensible match or a dangerous mismatch. There is much debate in the MMA community in which of those categories the Vasquez-Libardi fight even falls.

Rest in peace
One thing is for certain. Whether you pay attention to the sport, it is horrible and sad that the most important number of its most important statistic has changed from zero to one.

Whatever can be done to keep that number at one needs to be done.

That would be a good way to honor the memory of a fallen fighter. Rest in peace Sammy Vasquez.

GeneChing
12-26-2007, 01:09 PM
This story has been amazingly quiet considering...

Dec. 22, 2007: MMA dealing with first death in sport's history (http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19138378&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id=475011&rfi=6)
Midland Reporter-Telegram
12/22/2007

Mixed Martial Arts recently suffered its first fatality on a sanctioned fight card, when Sam Vasquez passed away Dec. 2. Six weeks earlier, Vasquez suffered head injuries in a match against Vince Libardi on a Renegades Extreme Fighting show at the Toyota Center in Houston.

Brad Barnes, the head MMA instructor at West Texas MMA in Midland, recently shared his views on the unfortunate incident. Barnes has trained with Vasquez in the past.

"I knew Sam," Barnes said. "He trained a lot at Revolution Dojo with Yves Edwards and Lewis Woods. I got to train with Sam a little bit when I was there with my coach, Mike Altman. He walked up to you and shook your hand. He definitely had a love for the sport. He had a smile on his face all the time. There's something to be said for a guy who put that much time into it."

Barnes added that this incident has affected fighters from the entire state. Both fighters hail from Texas. Vasquez, a Houston native, and Libardi, from San Antonio, are well-known amongst Texas MMA fighters.

"It's a big tragedy," Barnes said. "Every guy who fights in Texas is pretty torn up over it."

Barnes also said that the promoter, Saul Soliz, is well-respected in the MMA world and has put on many shows. Soliz has been staging pro and amateur shows since 2000. He's based out of Houston and runs the Houston Metro Fight Club and trains Tito Ortiz. Some of Barnes' fighters have appeared on events that have been promoted by Soliz.

"He's been promoting for a long time. He wouldn't put a guy in against someone he didn't think he could win. Saul had coached him (Sam)," Barnes said. "Anything that has to do with MMA, he's top shelf. He's not going to make that type of error in judgement."

Barnes added that the state of Texas is one of the more difficult states in which to sanction fights due to its numerous regulations.

"Texas has a lot of requirements, so Sam's deal was a big thing. He had to pass a physical," Barnes said. "You have to get tested for HIV, hepatitis, (vision) and EKG's."

Overall, most states do a satisfactory job putting on fight cards. However, he advised that some do a poor job in sanctioning fights.

"A lot of states are good. As far as who's really not worried about the fighters, New Mexico doesn't care. Pros are fighting amateurs. It's really shady," Barnes said. "There's a lot of promoters in New Mexico because they are just trying to make money."

Barnes hopes the aftermath will not cause critics to rush to judgement on the sport.

"I don't want people to look at the incident and to equate it to that's how you define the sport -- that people can die in it," Barnes said. "I want people to understand that we're not here to get ourselves hurt and we're certainly not here to hurt other people.

"There's so many more rules in this than in boxing. You're not getting hit 400 times to the head," Barnes said.