PDA

View Full Version : A Hung, Choy Li Fut, Uknown, and Mantis Player

Tai-Lik
12-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Here is Pt. 1 of video i have from a old Hong Kong Kung Fu tournament. The first player appears to be Hung Ga, followed by a Choy Li Fut, Unknown Style, and a Praying Mantis player. I don't know these peformers. Just wanted to share. Any information or opinions welcome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUO6OcezmU

Tai lik:)

lkfmdc
12-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I thought this was gonna be a joke, like

"a Hung Ga, Choy Li Fut and Mantis guy all walk into a Hong Kong tournament. The Hung Ga orders a beer and the head referee says....."

CLFNole
12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Didnt care for the hung gar player as his flow seemed odd for hung style and his stances were not very solid or square.

The CLF playser is from my lineage (LKH). Couldn't really make out his face but depending on the year could be a student of one of our sihings or if it is real old could even be one of our sihings.

Tai-Lik
12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
I thought this was gonna be a joke, like

"a Hung Ga, Choy Li Fut and Mantis guy all walk into a Hong Kong tournament. The Hung Ga orders a beer and the head referee says....."

LOL!!!

btw, i'll be posting more of the competitors including Lama.

Tai-Lik
12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Didnt care for the hung gar player as his flow seemed odd for hung style and his stances were not very solid or square.

The CLF playser is from my lineage (LKH). Couldn't really make out his face but depending on the year could be a student of one of our sihings or if it is real old could even be one of our sihings.

CLFNole, what form was he performing?

thanks

CLFNole
12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Ng Ying Kuen

Tai-Lik
12-04-2007, 11:38 AM
anyone recognize the third performer style?

Ben Gash
12-04-2007, 11:55 AM
It's Fujian Shaolin, either Baihe, Wuzhu or Taizhu, but it's done kinda big and kinda funny.

Lama Pai Sifu
12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Yes, its either Yung Chun White Crane or Fukien White Crane. I not really familiar with them, but I've seen some youtube clips. I'm pretty sure that I'm correct, or its some variation of them.

:)

Golden Arms
12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
The Hung guy looked like he was doing Fu Hok, but not to my taste the way he bridged and did several things.

lkfmdc
12-04-2007, 01:48 PM
at work can't watch clips, so I'll look tonight and see what I can make out

CLFNole
12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
His hung style was interesting to say the least. His sei ping ma at one point looked like he was doing yut chi ma (split stretches).

Steeeve
12-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Yep the third one is Ngo chu kuen (Wuzhu)...the Mantis player is the Form Bung Bo of the Chiu Chuk kai Taiji praying mantis

Steeve

fawlung
12-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Wow, Golden Arms, you must be a really nice guy.

That has to be one of the most elementary versions of Fu Hok I've ever seen anyone perform. I would think that it would be extremely rare to find someone practicing Fu Hok when they can't even do a half-ass decent horse stance. It would be quicker to point out what he did right in that form than wrong.. actually, I'm not sure any of it was right... It's not worth watching again to look for.

htowndragon
12-04-2007, 07:32 PM
looked disproportioned. i think he had weak legs in general.

lkfmdc
12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
1. really, really, really badly done Fu Hok... wow, that sucked :p

2. Choy Lay Fut

3. Ng Jo Kyuhn

4. Chat Sing Tong Long Bang Bouh

CLFNole
12-04-2007, 08:41 PM
The first performer proves that if you don't have any stance/foundation you will not have good kung fu. I think this can be said for any style but it is really apparent when watching hung gar.

lkfmdc
12-04-2007, 08:42 PM
The first performer proves that if you don't have any stance/foundation you will not have good kung fu. I think this can be said for any style but it is really apparent when watching hung gar.

well, his bridges and hands sucked also.....

all around suckage

syn
12-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I only really know Hung Ga well enough to judge, but I literally laughed the first time that guy went into sei ping ma. If our knees aren't over our toes, my sifu will kick your leg just enough at the knee to make you collapse.

Laukarbo
12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
ok here are my 1 centavos...

Hung Gar , wow straight from a freak show..it wasnt actually for his advance to wear leggings ,skin tight pants,..lol
his form was beyond worst..

CLF not too impressed

Ngo Cho Kun,well I live in Manila Chinatown which is like a second Fukkien..here are 2 very old and famous ngo cho kun gyms..with very good Sifus who are my friends ..anyway that gives me lots of exposure to this respective style..back to the video I never seen anything weirder than that..

Mantis looked ok

anyway thanks for the clip ...:D

Green Cloud
12-05-2007, 08:32 PM
This video hit home what do you think of this Tai lik ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Wspd7GOb8

Tai-Lik
12-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Hey Gus, i saw this clip on the other thread. very nice :)
i noticed that one of the producers was Eric Ling. i believe eric is a contributor on this forum maybe he can give us an idea when the full version will come out. i'm gonna comment on the other thread.

peace

Drake
12-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I can't get over the guy's leggings...

Tai-Lik
12-06-2007, 08:47 AM
I can't get over the guy's leggings...

yeah it was the leggings and the hair that ruined it for me.:D

i thought the comments made here were very productive and will hopefully prevent anyone from ever wearing leggings again and also help students recognize that their stances might be wrong if they looked like the guy in the leggings:)

Drake
12-06-2007, 08:55 AM
We're men! We're men in tights!

hskwarrior
12-06-2007, 09:04 AM
TIGHT tights!!!!!!! :D

Drake
12-06-2007, 09:05 AM
We maaaaaay look like sissiiiiesss...

But watch what you say, or else we'll punch out your lights!

stout
12-06-2007, 09:50 AM

very soulful depiction of kung fu. Film style reminds me of a cult surf movie called step into a liquid.

brothernumber9
12-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Laird Hamilton rules.
And the video clips were interesting too. Were there different divisions of skill level at that tournament or time? i.e. beginner, intermediate, advanced. If those were advanced, then it is a little bit of evidence in dispelling the beleif that everyone "back in the day" was so much better than everyone now as a collective. It may still be true, but if that video is any indication, then it wasn't so different then, compared to now; at least not by leaps and bounds as some perpetuate.

Green Cloud
12-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey Gus, i saw this clip on the other thread. very nice :)
i noticed that one of the producers was Eric Ling. i believe eric is a contributor on this forum maybe he can give us an idea when the full version will come out. i'm gonna comment on the other thread.

peace

I think this is going to be a very important movie that will inspire many Kung Fu people and open their eyes to what direction traditional kung fu is heading and why. Keep us posted thanks Derek.

Steeeve
12-06-2007, 03:27 PM
David

Dont want to bull**** you

but the mantis is not Chaat sing tong long beng bu ....but GMChiu Chuk Kai Taiji Tong long Beng bu....7 star beng bu is different .....:)

Steeve

Laukarbo
12-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Eric Ling doesnt post here anymore..I remember his post when he left this forum and all the bashing he recieved after he left...:rolleyes:

Vilmore
12-06-2007, 06:10 PM
guess who just replied with his masterfull vision on youtube:rolleyes: (the first vid)

lkfmdc
12-06-2007, 06:48 PM
David

Dont want to bull**** you

but the mantis is not Chaat sing tong long beng bu ....but GMChiu Chuk Kai Taiji Tong long Beng bu....7 star beng bu is different .....:)

Steeve

I breifly glanced at it, so quite possible

I got the unknown set correct :D

Green Cloud
12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Eric Ling doesnt post here anymore..I remember his post when he left this forum and all the bashing he recieved after he left...:rolleyes:

It's too bad that he was chased off, from what I hear he was a great contributor and is a great source of info. I guess that's what happens on this forum:(

Laukarbo
12-06-2007, 10:51 PM
It's too bad that he was chased off, from what I hear he was a great contributor and is a great source of info. I guess that's what happens on this forum:(

u know this board is not the WORLD its just a forum..for me its like a bar where u go in and have a beer and chat..some talk bullschit some share knowledge etc.
Eric still contributes on other forums..how much u can contribute on forums anyway ?
its a good way to share knowledge and informations..and on some forums like this u need a thick skin or learn to ignore some posters or like Eric not giving a F and just leave it..no big deal I guess..I sort of like it here..but more in an entertaining way...:D

kidswarrior
12-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Here is Pt. 1 of video i have from a old Hong Kong Kung Fu tournament. The first player appears to be Hung Ga, followed by a Choy Li Fut, Unknown Style, and a Praying Mantis player. I don't know these peformers. Just wanted to share. Any information or opinions welcome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUO6OcezmU

Tai lik:)Well, I try to live by the maxim, If you don't have anything nice to say... :eek: .

Not being a practitioner of any of these styles, I can't comment on how they might stack up against others from the same or similar systems. But in general: at least the second guy looked like he had a grasp of what it means to be rooted--and even had stretches where he looked to have his balance. The others, not so much.

lkfmdc
12-07-2007, 01:21 PM
strangely, this seems to be ME doing the same set (Tiger Crane) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDlmylIA0_w

Mike (Lama Pai Sifu) digging through all the OLD tapes :p