PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Self Defense Case

Black Jack II
12-04-2007, 12:21 PM
If you have not been following it, this is a very interesting case regarding self defense/offense in terms of protecting where you live. It has gotten some very decent press coverage and support.

You can read about the story and hear all three 911 calls regarding the encounter here. I would suggest starting with the very first 911 call and working your way down to the actuall shooting.

Personally I am cool with what he did, but unfortunately, right and legal sometimes are not always the same thing. People like this come from a different working era, often a different breed, then some of the limp wristed generation you tend to see now.

So far he has NOT been charged with any homicide.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/side/5306638.html

Black Jack II
12-04-2007, 12:23 PM
btw- please leave this post in the main forum where people can actually see it.

I believe it warrants being here. The main section is about all aspects of chinese martial arts and one of them should be enviromental self defense discussion.

Thanks

Mas Judt
12-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I'd just want him to be dang sure - I can't tell you how many times I've broken into my own place due to stupidity.

Frankly, the harder the average citizen is on criminals, the less crime there will be.

Bully for him.

MightyB
12-04-2007, 01:38 PM
It would be easier to justify the actions as self-defense if the shootings were in his home or in his own yard. I don't think he's an old trigger happy murderer in the making or anything- it's just a tough situation to be in. One was an illegal immigrant, sounds like those types of crime happen a lot in that area (responses posted to the article)-- where do you draw the line? What is a justifiable use of force?

Plus-
even though Mas Judt was probably making a joke- his comment raises concerns. I have a brother who I don't visit too often. What if there were some type of incident that caused me to have to legally break into his home (like if he was in a coma in the hospital- who knows- it's a hypothetical situation) and one of his neighbors saw me doing it. If they called the police- the situation would be resolved normally and I'd be alive- if the neighbor had a gun and did what this gentleman did...

Black Jack II
12-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Is Mr. Horn a hero...?

Many could say yes, these dipsh!ts choose to advance onto Mr. Horns private property, confronting a prudent and armed citizen, and they paid a big price. He acted in sel defense, stating to the the criminals..."move and your dead" as indicated in the transcripts.

He removed two low-life cretins who seemed to be out looking for trouble and found more than they could handle.It's funny now that people are playing the race card with this case, stating that these two did not speak english and it should be taken into consideration.

Psssahh...the f@ck it should:rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't have volume, were they armed?

Black Jack II
12-04-2007, 02:06 PM
A crowbar.

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
A crowbar.

All of them were armed ?

Black Jack II
12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Their were two, one had a crowbar.

sanjuro_ronin
12-04-2007, 02:11 PM
hmmm....was one of them shot in the back ? or in a way that could give the impression of fleeing while being shot?

Black Jack II
12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Not that I have read.

It seems to be a typical case of two f@ckwads, one a illegal f@ckwad, trying to walk the easy road, they just happened to find a ****ed off Texan standing in the road with a pump action 12 guage.

Lucas
12-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Dont mess with Texas.

MightyB
12-04-2007, 02:19 PM
the first two clips by themselves would make Mr. Horn look guilty of using unjustified force.

When you hear the aftermath, it paints a totally different picture. Sounds like he tried to stop them and they tried that walking up to a gun tough guy $hit.

Two down- millions to go.

Again- I would in no way wish to see this type of stuff happen. There's a lot of preventable reasons as to why people are criminals, and shooting somebody no matter the reason has to be traumatic on the shooter.

Now you guys weigh in...

Lucas
12-04-2007, 02:29 PM
IMO:

The guy should walk.

He tried to stop a robbery, the assailants reacted poorly, they got shot.

If he had a badge and did exactly the same thing, there would be no question.

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Anyone besides me see the latest gun grab cumming?

Mas Judt
12-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Was that MEANT to be Freudian?

Lucas
12-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Was that MEANT to be Freudian?

Knowing RD, probably not. ;)

Kemo Martin
12-05-2007, 08:44 AM
new gun laws (http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2005/09/texas-new-carry-law-what-does-it-mean.html)
With the passage of HB 823 (Keel/Hinojosa) into law September 1, legislators and the National Rifle Association believed they'd finally resolved a longstanding dispute that for years turned thousands of legal gun owners into law enforcement targets. Texas law lets drivers carry a weapon in their car when they're "traveling," but the definition of traveling has never been legally settled.

one problem in the Texas area is

ALL illegals are a "federal" problem - the state does nothing
if your an illegal in Texas you can pretty much do anything you want and walk away
because the states budget doesn't allow resource.
and the illegals Know it!!!!

especially on the border EX: Laredo
Kidnapping rape murder is a daily worry because a small city budget cannot support any measurable impact.

thus, it has become the citizen who must protect them self in this increasingly lawless state.

me Ive had to put a gun to a thief's head when they were entering through the window.

I have to constantly deal with the real Trolls (homeless that live under bridges), the Illegals, and various "low lifes" on a almost DAILY basis.

everywhere in Texas is getting more dangerous for everyone due to the Illegals!:(

in Texas you need real Self-defense.:(

Matt24 (http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=4488723)
[12] And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

not forgetting the unfortunate death in the ring with the MMA recently either.

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-05-2007, 09:32 AM
If you shoot them can you be charged? Or is that just chalked up as not being under state jurisdiction too?

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Knowing RD, probably not.

Reply]
Actually..umm...err.....yeah, I meant it to be like that!! Yeah, that's it, I meant it that way!!! :D