PDA

View Full Version : Improving memory

chyisan
02-08-2001, 08:11 AM
Is there a qigong or meditation excercise I can do to improve my memory? I'm only 20, but still, it would help my classes alot if I could improve my memory.

Mindlessness is the enemy...

HuangKaiVun
02-08-2001, 12:42 PM
I think it depends on the classes more than the qigong/meditation.

What classes are you talking about, chyisan?

When I was in medical school, I had a horrendous time remembering even basic concepts and eventually dropped out because I couldn't put it into clinical practice.

Only after pursuing the field of Public Health did much of the medical training - and teacher insolvency - become clear to me.

I ended up taking quite a few courses that I actually should've had taken before medical school, and now I understand why so many doctors get a Masters in Public Health before advancing to medical school.

So what I initially perceived to be a lack of talent was actually a lack of effective teaching.

GLW
02-08-2001, 06:55 PM
I used to know and practice a Qi Gong set that helped improve memory....but I forgot it:)

premier
02-08-2001, 07:53 PM
I'm not quite sure what has happened and is it only the forms, but I can memorize new forms and combinations a lot faster than when I started KF.

Probably just getting used to it.

denali
02-10-2001, 08:23 AM
There's one form that you can do to improve your memory of class material:

It's a rare form called Sdu Di Ying.

o
02-10-2001, 09:05 PM
I encounter many names of forms/etc. that I don't know what they are. Where would I be able to look them up? Is there a sourcebook that lists all of the different techniques or forms or whatever relating to qigong and the like? Is it something you get from acupuncture school?

chyisan
02-11-2001, 06:43 AM
HuangKaiVun, I'm asking because I'm taking Anatomy and I'm having a hard time remembering all the muscles and their origin/insertion/inervation.

Mindlessness is the enemy...

DragonStudios
02-11-2001, 07:53 PM
The best way to help your memory is to learn to turn off your internal dialogue. It has a nasty habit of getting in the way of whatever you're trying to remember. Some Zen sitting meditation everyday should help you. I've given some advice in accomplishing this in the "Simple meditation help anyone?" thread on this page.

Without going outside, you may know the whole world.
Without looking through the window, you may see the ways of heaven.
The ****her you go, the less you know.
--Lao Tsu

brucelee2
02-12-2001, 06:27 AM
two suggestions for improving memory-

1) Sniff some pure essential oil of peppermint. I read somewhere that they did a study where students who were exposed to diffused peppermint oil had their test scores improve by 30%- its supposed to improve mental acuity. I brought a bottle (its not expensive) with me on a cross country drive and I think it helped keep me awake.

2) study standing up- I read somewhere that studying, memorizing standing up instead of sitting down is more effective. Give it a try.

Repulsive Monkey
04-12-2001, 11:56 PM
Instead of learning another Qi-gong (there must be tonnes in the world today?) it would be better in my opoinio to go see an Acupuncturist and get your Heart/Spleen channels cleared. Spleen generally (when healthy) will creted clarity and clearness of the mental faculties, and one of the functions of the Shen (which resides in the Heart and held by the Blood) is one's memory. Maybe there is damp/Plegm in the brain which stops the clarity of the minds faculties from being as efficient as they could be (I know that's my case often!).

sifuskafar
04-28-2001, 04:47 AM
Relax.
You will remember what is important.

Sifu