PDA

View Full Version : Who is Ching Wah? Help!

Tai-Lik
12-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know of a famous Wing Chun master whose name was something like Ching Wah (could be misspelled)? He would have lived some time around the 1890 or 1915.

I know that there are a lot of experienced Wing Chun practicioners on this forum so i thought i would ask. Any historical information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tai Lik

UKBBC
12-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I know Kevin thinks he is posting as Terence these days

(Ching Wah means 'frog')

:D

Tai-Lik
12-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I know Kevin thinks he is posting as Terence these days

(Ching Wah means 'frog')

:D

Thanks. i'm not referring to 青蛙 (cing waa) :-)

i'm not using any particular romanization and i don't have any characters to provide the correct jyutping or yale spelling. hoping someone would recognize the name i'm looking for.

Thanks again!

k gledhill
12-06-2007, 12:10 PM
ribbet, ribbet, anyone listening to me !! ribbet ...oh look a cricket ...munch munch ,,,burp !!! yummy cricket ..ribbet ...ribbet :D

Tai-Lik
12-06-2007, 01:04 PM
well i hope "frog" wasn't his name because i'm sure the kids on the playground jumped all over him :D

hopefully it was Chin, Cheng, or chan:)

best
Tai Lik

dfl
12-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know of a famous Wing Chun master whose name was something like Ching Wah (could be misspelled)? He would have lived some time around the 1890 or 1915.

I know of no WC master by that name. Unless you can supply the Chinese characters, your quest is likely to be fruitless. But during that period the number of WC people in the whole world can be counted on the fingers of your hands.
Of course Chan Wah immediately comes to mind if your transiteration is at all inaccurate. Then there's the well known Hung Kuen teacher Ching Wah in Canton whose nickname was, coincidentally, "tai lik", but he was not known to do WC.

Tai-Lik
12-06-2007, 01:54 PM
I know of no WC master by that name. Unless you can supply the Chinese characters, your quest is likely to be fruitless. But during that period the number of WC people in the whole world can be counted on the fingers of your hands.
Of course Chan Wah immediately comes to mind if your transiteration is at all inaccurate. Then there's the well known Hung Kuen teacher Ching Wah in Canton whose nickname was, coincidentally, "tai lik", but he was not known to do WC.

yeah i know it's a long shot. anyways thanks for your input dfl.

Jim Roselando
12-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Hello,

Perhaps this is who you are looking for:

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia&op=content&tid=54

Chan Wah-Shun

(Jiao Chin Wah, Ngau Ching Wah, Wah Gung)

1849 - 1913

Leung Jan

Chan WahShun

Ng SiuLo Ng JungSo Lui YiuChai Chan YiuMin Lai MiuHin
Ngau Hong Lee JitMan Ngau JawTing Lai HaoPo Chan HungDai
Chan SikHao Ho HanLui Ho Kin Lai HipChi Yip Man
Chan HungDai

Chan Wah-Shun (Chen Huashun) originally worked as a moneychanger (someone licensed to convert currency denominations) and was hence known by the nickname Jiao Chin Wah (Zhaoqian Hua, Moneychanger Wah). His stall was located in the marketplace close to Leung Jan's pharmacy and from time to time he would catch glimpses of the famous doctor teaching Wing Chun Kuen. Eventually, Chan Wah-Shun was able to secure training under Leung Jan and went on to become one of his most prized students, winning many challenge fights, earning the nickname Ngau Ching Wah (Niujing Hua, Bull Wah).

Chan Wah-Shun later gave up the money changing business to work as an osteopath. He was said to have begun teaching Wing Chun in the late 1800s, in some accounts as early as 1877 (the pulp novel, Martial World Orthodox Systems: Wing Chun suggesting that when Leung Jan passed away, Chan Wah-Shun carried on the instruction of junior students such as Ng Siu-Lo and Ng Jung-So) and by the 1910s, he was, according to Yip Man traditions, reportedly teaching out of the Ancestral Temple of the Yip family in Foshan's Song Yuan (Mulberry Gardens).

During his career, which according to Yip traditions spanned 36 years, he reportedly trained 16 disciples. The earliest of these disciples included the Ng brothers, Siu-Lo and Chung-So, as well as Lui Yiu-Chai, Ngau Hong, and his own son, Chan Yiu-Min (and Yiu-Min's wife Lai Miu-Hin, although whether or not she was formally counted as one of the disciples is unknown). Other students were said to include Ho Han-Lui (in alternate accounts listed as a student of Leung Jan), Lee Jit-Man, Ngau Jaw-Ting, Lai Hao-Po (in alternate accounts listed as a student of Fung Siu-Ching), Chan Hung-Dai, Chan Sik-Hao and sometimes Yiu Choi (more often listed as a student of Ng Jung-So). Shortly before his retirement, Chan Wah-Shun accepted his final disciples, Lai Hip-Chi and Yip Man.

In 1911, Chan Wah-Shun, known by then as Wah Gung (Hua Gong, Grandfather Wah) retired from teaching (according to Pan Nam system accounts, suffering a stroke and becoming partially paralyzed) and returned to his home village in Shunde county where he passed away two years later.

Tai-Lik
12-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Thank you very much Jim

based on some information in the bio you provided and others linked to this bio
陳華順 chan Wah Seuhn is a good candidate for the person i'm searching.

i'm researching a relationship between our Jo Si Jow Lung 周龍 and an individual, who might have been Chan Wah.

The bio mentioned his nickname Money Changer Wah or Jau Chin Wah 找錢華
i had forgotten to mention in my initial post that the person i was looking for had a nickname having to do with coins or money:)

my friends and I believe that there are some other points in his bios which give us hope that this Chan Wah is the person we're looking for.

again, thanks for your time and assistance

Take care
Tai Lik

Sifu Moore
12-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Shi-Fu Tai lik......I am renowned Wing Ding Dong Master from GuanDong province. I challange you to a duel!! Your Jow Ga Gung Fu is a modified form of Wing Ding Dong Fa. Be at lake Elkorn with your clan tonight at dusk and we will settle this once and for all.

HiiiYAaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Wing Ding Dong Mater

Shou Long -a-Ding Dong

Tai-Lik
12-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Shi-Fu Tai lik......I am renowned Wing Ding Dong Master from GuanDong province. I challange you to a duel!! Your Jow Ga Gung Fu is a modified form of Wing Ding Dong Fa. Be at lake Elkorn with your clan tonight at dusk and we will settle this once and for all.

HiiiYAaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Wing Ding Dong Mater

Shou Long -a-Ding Dong

Your Wing Ding Dong Fa kung fu is no match for my Jow Ga Kuen! But if you insist we will fight to the death. wait a minute it's cold outside now, so can we meet inside Starbucks Coffe shop and have chocolate lattes first? i'll buy and then we can go outside and i will show you our secret jow ga "quart of blood" technique. when i strike you, a quart of blood will drop out your body.

i'll see you at Starbucks in one hour!

reneritchie
12-08-2007, 07:58 PM
ttt, +1, and a hearty Rickjim by armbar r1 1:30