PDA

View Full Version : The SEA Games

GeneChing
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
The 24th SEA Games have started in Thailand. Here is the official website. (http://www.2007seagames.com/eng/Home/tabid/153/Default.aspx) The martial events include archery, boxing, fencing, judo, karatedo, muay thai, pencak silat, shooting, tae kwon do, wrestling and wushu. Kempo is being added as a demo sport this year.

SEA Games open in a blaze of colour (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gb7L-o9HiSzLVXcuu9XW4sNTHMrg)
1 hour ago

KORAT, Thailand (AFP) — The 24th SEA Games officially opened here Thursday with hosts Thailand looking to give their king a special birthday gift by finishing atop the medals table.

Fireworks lit up the night sky as nearly 9,000 performers from northeastern Thailand took part in a colourful opening ceremony at the main stadium in Korat, His Majesty the King's 80th Birthday Anniversary Stadium.

The ceremony kicked off with a tribute to King Bhumibol Adulyadej, just a day after the nation celebrated his 80th birthday, in front of Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn.

Eleven nations are chasing a total of 475 gold medals in more than 40 sports at the 10-day biennial showpiece and the host nation has already established an early lead at the top of the medals table.

But the main sports at the Southeast Asian Games start Friday, with attention focused on the athletics competition and the swimming pool, where Olympic hopefuls will be looking to catch the eye ahead of next year's Beijing Games.

The eight-team football competition also resumes Friday, with sides vying for semi-final spots and Thailand gunning for their eighth consecutive success in the competition.

Two years ago, then hosts the Philippines came out on top at the Games, with 113 golds to Thailand's 87. Vietnam won 70 golds and Malaysia took 61.

But the Thais are aiming to increase their haul to 150 this time around and the Philippines have lowered their sights to a more modest 70-gold target.

Organisers announced last month they were removing six sports and a total of 10 events from the competition due to lack of entrants, despite the more than 7,000 athletes and officials confirmed to attend.

As well as the headline events such as football, athletics, swimming and badminton, athletes are competing in a range of lesser-known sports, including the martial arts karatedo and Muay Thai, and sepak takraw, which is similar to volleyball but played with a rattan ball using the feet and head.

Organisers will be looking for a clean Games. Earlier this year they said the event would have the "strictest ever" anti-doping procedures, with twice as many tests as at the Philippines tournament in 2005. The regional anti-doping organisation said it expected up to 10 percent of athletes to be screened.

And they will be hoping to avoid allegations of match-fixing. A Vietnamese court earlier this year jailed two former footballers for rigging a match against Myanmar at the 2005 Games in return for cash from a betting syndicate.

There was also squabbling at the 2005 SEA Games over the fairness of the officiating, with then Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and other officials expressing doubts after hosts the Philippines took a decisive lead in the medals race.

SEA Games participants are Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. The Games close on December 15.

Oso
12-06-2007, 04:01 PM
cool.

check out the full gamut of events

http://www.2007seagames.com/eng/Sports/Sports/tabid/194/Default.aspx

:D

GeneChing
12-06-2007, 04:48 PM
The wushu icon looks silly.

SEA wushu mascot (http://www.2007seagames.com/Portals/0/Mascot/WUSHU.gif)

syn
12-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Is that supposed to be a flying squirrel/regular? Kinda fits. :p

Oso
12-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm all excited to see the Snooker and Go competition.

David Jamieson
12-06-2007, 07:34 PM
kempo mascot looks like a gda avatar. lol

GeneChing
12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
they need two more medals says I...

From pencak silat to sanshou wushu, martial arts fans have large choice at SEA Games (http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaillsport.asp?fileid=20071208195227&irec=5)

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, Thailand (AP): Cheak Bun Hong has chosen his sport wisely. Despite only one year's experience in the martial art of sanshou wushu, the Cambodian got as far as the quarterfinals at the Southeast Asian Games.

"I love this sport," Hong said late Friday after losing 2-0 to Senduk Youne Victorio from Indonesia. "It is lucky I like it, because I didn't have a choice. If I wanted to come to the SEA Games, it was my only chance."

This year's event has seven Asian martial arts, and only true aficionados could possibly claim knowledge of all.

What is kempo? And how does it differ to pencak silat? Who might win gold at wushu?

From martial arts imported from northern Asia to homegrown techniques, athletes here are competing for 106 gold medals.

The imported sports begin with wushu, an exhibition and full-contact sport derived from Chinese martial arts, with film star Jet Li its most famous practitioner.

Wushu is subdivided into taolu - which uses weapons - and sanshou, which does not. Taolu is similar to gymnastics, and competitors are known to spin up to 720 degrees in the air on a jump. Sanshou is more like close-contact boxing, often ending in bear hugs with athletes trying to kick and flip each other.

Taekwondo, from Korea, is a better known art and has Olympic pedigree. It is marked by powerful punches and complicated kicks that move in fast to do the most damage.

Judo, too, is a recognized sport among global audiences. It does not involves weapons, strikes or thrusts. Instead, the object is to throw an opponent to ground, subdue him with a grappling maneuver, or force submission by joint locking the elbow or by applying a choke-hold.

Karate-do, from Japan, includes the grappling of wushu and the strikes of taekwondo, with or without weapons.

Muay thai, literally "Thai boxing," is the national sport of Thailand, and began with Siamese soldiers as far back as 2000 years ago. Unlike other Asian forms of kickboxing, the Thai version places a strong emphasis on kicking, and almost every part of the body can be used to attack an opponent, except for head-butting.

Pencak silat, is a combination of more than 800 schools of fighting throughout Indonesia. Every region in the archipelago has passed down its own version of the sport, with or without weapons.

And kempo - a demonstration sport here - is also a kicking and punching sport, but in full protective gear.

Despite his defeat, Hong's spirits were still high.

"You can't make money as an athlete in Cambodia," Hong said. "I'm going to try to find work playing my clarinet."

GeneChing
12-12-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure how Silat is played. Anyone?

SEA Games: Worst ever showing in silat (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/12/12/sports/20071212155041&sec=sports)

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia's campaign in silat ended without a gold after world champion Rina Jordana Adnan was beaten in the Under-50kg final at the Sungnoen Municipality Hall in Korat on Wednesday.

The sole Malaysian in the fight for a gold medal in 12 silat olahraga finals contested on the final day of competition, was beaten 1-4 by Indonesian Pengky Simbar.

Malaysia, who brought 14 exponents to Korat targeting four gold medals, finished with a haul of one silver and six bronzes, their worst ever result in the biennial Games since the sport was introduced in 1987.

The only other time when they failed to win a gold medal was in the 1997 Jakarta Games, hauling back only five silver and seven bronze medals.

The bronze medallists in Korat were Faizal Abdullah, Ahmad Shahril Zailuddin, Wan Nurul Hidayu, Malini Mohd, Emy Lajip and Mastura Sapuan.

At the last Games in Manila, Malaysia took back three gold medals in silat.

SEA Games: Little glitter in karate (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/12/12/sports/20071212160236&sec=sports)

PETALING JAYA: Lim Lee Lee won the women's kata individual gold medal at the Kebkanjana Hall in Korat on Wednesday, see off a challenge from archrival Nguyen Hoang Ngan to win 3-2 in the final.

It was the third SEA Games final meeting between the two. Lee Lee lost to Hoang Ngan in Hanoi in 2003 but turned the tables on the Vietnamese to win in Manila 2005.

It was a silver lining -- her team-up with Thoe Ai Poh and Chin Fang Yang saw them being beaten 0-5 by two-time defending champions Vietnam in the team final.

Ku Jin Keat made it a memorable start for the national karate squad when he defended his men's individual kata title as well.

The 32-year-old, who bagged the silver medal at the Doha Asiad last year, did not face much difficulty in defeating Noel Espinola 5-0 of the Philippines in the final.

But Jin Keat failed to make it a double celebration after the men's team could only settle for the bronze.

SEA Games: Mixed tale in archery (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/12/12/sports/20071212185604&sec=sports)

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia's men recurve archers defeated Indonesia at the Suranaree University of Technology in Korat to wrest the gold medal on Wednesday.

They defeated the Indonesians, led by singles bronze medallist Sulistyawan Rahmat, 213-211 in a 48-arrow shoot final played over four ends.

The Malaysian women's team however failed to defend their title, while the men's compound team had to settle for the bronze.

The women's recurve team of S. Anabarasi, Irza Hanie Abu Samah and Noor Azira Taip were beaten 198-204 by Indonesia in the final, while the men's compound team beat Singapore 217-212 in the playoff for the bronze.

With the success of the men's recurve team, Malaysia ended their campaign in archery with a haul of 2-2-1. The other gold medal was won by the 21-year-old Chu Sian in the individual recurve event on Tuesday.

GeneChing
12-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Click for pic

Sea Games/Wushu: Diana's gold a perfect gift for mum (http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/Sport/2106400/Article/index_html)

DIANA Bong won the last wushu gold yesterday - the nanquan discipline - and dedicated it to her mother, Mary Liu.
But Diana, who amassed a total of 28.12 points for the swordplay discipline, had to share the gold with Vietnam's Vu Thuy Linh.

The discipline was held over three days and Diana scored 9.27 on the first day, 9.42 on the second and 9.43 yesterday.

As competition between the Vietnamese and Malaysian was so keen, the judges from China failed to pick an outright winner and awarded gold to both.

"Though I am disappointed to share this gold I am happy I had given my best, and I dedicate this win to my mother," said Diana.
The 22-year-old from Sarawak is currently waiting for a placement with Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) and has not seen her mum since Chinese New Year last February.

"Because of the training and my studies and also the travelling we have been doing, I have not had a chance to be with my mother.

"I hope to meet her when I get back and give her this gold medal."

Compatriot Tai Cheau Xuen took the bronze with a score of 25.24.

Malaysian exponents won a total of two gold (to meet their target), two silver and one bronze from the wushu competition which ended yesterday.

Wushu fighters lead gold strike (http://english.vietnamnet.vn/sports/2007/12/759118/)
14:33' 11/12/2007 (GMT+7)

VietNamNet Bridge – The wushu team dominated the podiums with five gold medals yesterday at the 24th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games in Thailand.

The flaming toe: Vietnamese wushu artist Nguyen Van Tuan (right) deals a high kick to Thai fighter Saengdaeng Teerapong in the men's 65kg sanshou (combat) final in the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand yesterday. Tuan won the gold.
The flaming toe: Vietnamese wushu artist Nguyen Van Tuan (right) deals a high kick to Thai fighter Saengdaeng Teerapong in the men's 65kg sanshou (combat) final in the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand yesterday. Tuan won the gold.
Vietnam grabbed seven other golds from fencing, weightlifting and gymnastics events.

Thailand out-distance all other rivals in the medal tally. They have grabbed 78 gold, 75 silver and 60 bronze medals. Vietnam are stable in second place with 41 golds, 22 silvers and 46 bronzes. Singapore are in third with 32 gold, 26 silver and 22 bronze medals.

Vu Thuy Linh opened the golden day with a wonderful performance in women's nanquan, which is three events combined. The Vietnamese girl shared her position with Malaysian Bong Siong Lin Diana and the two took 28.12 points after the three events.

It was the first time Linh, 17, has participated in a SEA Games and she successfully followed the triumphs of her mother, former world champion Nguyen Phuong Lan, who is now the national team's coach.

"I am very happy with the gold medal. It (the SEA Games) is an important tournament and I suffered from heavy pressure before performing," said Linh.

"I have trained hard for years and I harvested this victory with help from my teammates, coaches and especially my mother.

"My mother is the most important person who guided me to victory. She first introduced me to the sport and has trained me since I was but an eight-year-old girl.

"As a professional athlete and coach, she told me all her experiences and always encouraged me. She is the origin of my success," Linh said.

The world silver medallist Linh was the second Vietnamese athlete to grab a ticket to perform at the Beijing Olympics next August, where wushu will be a demonstration event.

"Beijing is my next target and I will try my best there."

In wushu's sanshou (combat) event, Nguyen Thi Bich defeated her rival Si Si Sein from Myanmar 2-0 to take a gold medal in the women's 48kg category. Her teammate Nguyen Thuy Ngan won 2-1 over the host's Sopa Malewan in the women's 52kg pool.

The fourth gold went to Phan Anh Yen in the men's 56kg class, who trounced Benje Rivera from the Philippines 2-0.

Nguyen Van Tuan completed the day for the wushu team with a gold in the men's 65kg category. He met with no difficulties and beat Saengdaeng Teerapong of Thailand 2-1 in the final match.

The Vietnamese gymnasts raised their voices yesterday with five gold medals.

Nguyen Minh Tuan won in the men's rings event. Tuan had the most points with 15,150, much higher than the two runners-up. Thailand's Sukdee Thitipong was second with only 14,700 points, while Ooi Wei Siang of Malaysia ranked third with 14,550 points.

Phan Thi Ha Thanh also took a gold in the women's vault event.

Thanh's teammate Do Thi Ngan Thuong, who shocked audiences with her previous competitions in women's all-around and floor, continued her poor performance in this event. She received only 13,175 points, ranking fifth.

But she came back with a victory in women's beam, earning 14,975 points to take home a gold medal.

Nguyen Ha Thanh and Pham Phuoc Hung made it a perfect day for the gymnastics team with two golds in men's parallel bars and horizontal bar respectively.

Vietnam's next gold medal was from Nguyen Thi Thiet in the women's 63kg category. Thiet's total weight in both snatch and jerk and clean was 220kg while her Thai rival Thongsuk Suree lifted only 206kg.

It was the first gold of the weightlifting team, who disappointed fans after hopeful Hoang Anh Tuan, who is the Asian champion, failed to clinch a gold medal in the men's 56kg class.

Vietnam's last gold yesterday was from the women's sabre team.

GeneChing
12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
SEA Games: More wushu goodness (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/12/10/sports/20071210154344&sec=sports)

PETALING JAYA: Debutant Diana Bong Siong Lin won the women's nanquan (southern style boxing) all-round competition in wushu at Chanapolkhan Institute of Technology in Korat on Monday.

Diana came good in the final nandao (sword) routine and was awarded 9.43 to take her total to 28.12.

She tied with Vietnamese Vu Thuy Linh, and they were declared joint winners.

The Vietnamese, who was on par with another Malaysian, Tai Cheau Xuen, after the nanquan and nangun (stick) routines, was given 9.42 for her performance in nandao.

Cheau Xuen only managed 9.35 on Monday and had to settle for the bronze on 28.05.

Malaysia won two golds, two silvers and a bronze in wushu at the SEA Games.

Fong Ying the first Malaysian woman to win gold in wushu (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/12/10/sports/19714628&sec=sports)

DEBUTANT Chai Fong Ying strut her way into the history books as the first Malaysian female wushu exponent to win a gold medal in the SEA Games at the Chanapolkhan Institute of Technology in Korat yesterday.

Fong Ying was confirmed as the winner of the taijiquan and taijijian all-round competition after dishing out a graceful performance in the taijijian (swordplay) to earn 9.55 points, taking her total to 19.18.

Another Malaysian, Ng Shin Yii, claimed the silver. Shin Yii scored 9.53 for a total of 19.09. Filipino Janice Hung took the bronze on 18.77.

The success for Fong Ying yesterday makes her the only Malaysian wushu exponent to hold the Asian Games, World Championships and SEA Games titles at the same time.

While Fong Ying made it look effortless, everything she has achieved came through personal sacrifices.

“I have taken two semesters off studies because of my preparations since the Asian Games last year,” said the 21-year-old Universiti Putra Malaysia student.

“My colleagues in the same batch have finished their studies but I guess this is what I love doing and good at it.”

National coach Yoong Thong Foong said they were looking forward to a bonus gold medal today.

The best bet is on the women's nanquan all-round competition, which ends with the nangun (stick) routine.

Tai Cheau Xuen is the joint leader with Vu Thuy Linh of Vietnam after the completion of two routines with a total of 18.70.

Cheau Xuen scored 9.39 for the nandao (broadsword) yesterday while the Vietnamese exponent fared better with a 9.43.

Diana Bong is also in the running for the gold medal. She is just 0.1 point behind the joint leaders. Diana posted 9.42 in nandao to take her total to 18.69.

Same pic of Diana Bong below - love that hairstyle!! It's much better than the dragonballz cut that some many male wushu athletes front.

Diana bags gold to make up for Manila disappointment (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/12/11/sports/19719882&sec=sports)

IT was the moment of glory that Diana Bong Siong Lin was waiting for and she was not about to let it slip from her hands.

In her debut in the SEA Games, Diana delivered a bonus gold medal for Malaysia, winning the women's nanquan (southern style boxing) all-round competition at the Chanapolkhan Institute of Technology in Korat yesterday.

Diana came good in the final nandao (sword) routine and was awarded 9.43 points to take her total to 28.12. She tied with Vietnamese Vu Thuy Linh and they were declared as joint winners.

The Vietnamese, who was the leader with Malaysia's Tai Cheau Xuen after the nanquan and nangun (stick) routines, was given 9.42 for her performance in nandao.

Cheau Xuen only managed 9.35 yesterday and settled for the bronze on 28.05.

For Diana, the success made up for the disappointment of the last Games in Manila where she was taken out of the squad a week before they left for Manila.

“I tore two ligaments and could not recover in time. I underwent surgery and it took me almost a year off competition.

“For the Manila Games, I believed that I had a chance to be a gold medallist because the disciplines were separated,” said the 22-year-old Sarawakian.

“This time they were combined as one and winning it is so much better. I did not do well on the first day but I tried not to worry about it too much.”

Diana, who won a bronze in the same combined event in the Doha Asian Games last year, produced a sparkling performance on the final day of the competition to cap a fine outing for Malaysia after the disappointment in Manila.

Then, Malaysia managed to win two silver and three bronze medals. This time, Malaysia will return home with a haul of 2-2-1.

The other gold medallist in Korat was Asian Games and World Championships gold medallist Chai Fong Ying in the women's taijiquan and taijijian all-round event.

In the men's changquan (northern style boxing) all-round yesterday, Malaysia's Ang Eng Chong finished fifth on 28.31. Aung Si Thu of Myanmar took the gold on 28.65.

Pui Fook Chien missed out on a bronze, finishing fourth on 28.18 in the men's nanquan all-round competition won by World Championships gold medallist Willy Wang of the Philippines, who had a total of 28.60.

GeneChing
12-13-2007, 10:31 AM
The Thai boxers will be the ones to watch in Beijing...

Filipino fighters forfeit gold medal bouts in SEA Games protest (http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/12/13/apworld/20071213203726&sec=apworld)

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, Thailand (AP): Filipino boxers forfeited six gold medal bouts at the Southeast Asian Games on Thursday in a protest against judging, and threatened not to compete in future editions of the event.

The forfeits in the men's finals came after judges for the women's finals on Wednesday awarded wins to host Thailand in all five bouts against Filipino opponents that were decided on points.

"We just wanted to send a message that some things have to be changed,'' said Manny Lopez, president of the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines. "Our boys lost their courage and their energy to fight after our country was dishonored in the women's finals. Our boys were commiserating with their women teammates.

You shouldn't do that to women especially. The officiating was very biased, and my opinion will be concurred by all the other countries.''

Monico Puentevella, the head of the Philippines team at these SEA Games, said team officials met Wednesday night to decide how to protest the judging, and that it was left up to each individual boxer whether to forfeit.

"It's their call, but whatever their decision may be, we will fully support them,'' Puentevella said in a statement released to media. "We understand their situation, sympathize with them and believe they will do whatever is right.''

The vocal Thai crowd was puzzled when Godfrey Castro in the flyweight final threw up his hands at the opening bell and forfeited. When Junel Catancio did the same in the bantamweight final in the next scheduled bout, the crowd began to boo and abuse the visiting fighters.

Thereafter, the Filipinos chose to fight for short stints before retiring. Junie Tizon in the middleweight final and Maximino Tabangcora in the light heavyweight final both retired at the end of the first of four scheduled rounds. Orlando Tacuyan Jr. retired at the end of the second in the featherweights, and in the lightweight final Joegin Ladon quit during the first round.

Larry Semillano in the super lightweight final was the only Filipino fighter to contest his full bout, losing on points to 2004 Olympic gold medalist Manus Boonjumnong.

The judges at the Southeast Asian Games were from neutral countries, but Lopez said they could be influenced.

"Who invites these so-called neutral judges? The hosts. Who pays their airfare? The hosts. Who pays for their accommodation? The hosts,'' Lopez said. Thursday's forfeits further sullied the reputation of the Southeast Asian Games, where medal tallies heavily favor host nations, and threatened the future of boxing at the event.

"It's bad at the Southeast Asian level,'' Lopez said . "The way things are going, I am willing not to present my boys in the Southeast Asian Games anymore. We can meet Thailand in other events which are more reliable, like the Asian Games.

"We will do a lot of hard thinking about what will happen in the future.'' Unlike professional boxing where judges make qualitative decisions on which fighter won each round, amateur boxing is judged by computerized scoring of clear legal blows landed.

Each of the five judges has a red and a blue button which they press accordingly for each clear scoring blow they see. Three out of the five judges must press the button for the same boxer within one second in order for the point to be awarded.

The Filipino boxers were underdogs in all of Thursday's bouts, with their strong Thai opponents including Boonjumong, 2007 world championship silver medalist Non Boonjumnong, 2004 Olympic silver medalist Petchkoom Worapoj and 2004 Olympic bronze medalist Suriya Prasathinphimai.

GeneChing
12-13-2007, 10:34 AM
there's a pic, but it's mediocre

Karate exponents meet four-gold target after first day’s action (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/12/13/sports/19751003&sec=sports)

KUMITE exponents R. Puvaneswaran and Lim Yoke Wai ensured that the Malaysian karate squad met the four-gold target set for them on just the opening day of the three-day competition at the Kebkanjana Hall in Korat yesterday.

Following the two opening victories in the kata individual events in the morning, it was the two Doha Asiad silver medallists’ turn to fight their way to the gold in the below 55kg and 65kg categories respectively.

The 33-year-old Puvaneswaran bade farewell to the SEA Games with a 6-2 victory over Vietnam’s Pham Hoai Long.

It was Hoai Long who made the stronger start, taking a 2-0 lead before the Malaysian veteran found his composure to outclass his opponent.

“Although I trailed 0-2, I did not panic and chose to bide my time. I won the bout purely on tactics and not skills,” said Puvaneswaran.

The Malaysian exponent, who has now won the SEA Games below 55kg gold medal four times (1999, 2001, 2005 and 2007), announced that he would now only take part in selected high-ranking tournaments, especially those on the European circuit.

Yoke Wai, who won two silvers and a bronze in three previous Games, finally landed the gold. The 26-year-old turned the tables on World Championships bronze medallist Donny Dharmawan of Indonesia in sudden death.

“When Donny forced the bout to go into sudden death on 2-2 in the last few seconds of normal time, I became upset. I was tired of always losing to him in the below 65kg competitions,” said Yoke Wai.

“It is always a 50-50 chance in sudden death and I took a huge risk by going on the offensive. I managed to land a punch on his face, and it ended my six-year wait for a SEA Games gold.”

Another Asian Championships gold medallist, A.Vasantha Marial, failed to live up to her top billing in the women’s below 48kg event.

Vasantha, who was down with flu upon arrival in Korat, was clearly not at her best and went down 0-1 to Vietnam’s Vu Thi Nguyen Anh in the semi-finals.

However, she picked herself up and won her next fight in the repechage to clinch a bronze.

G. Vathana also delivered a bronze in the women’s below 53kg event.

She missed out on a first SEA Games final appearance after going down 2-3 to Vietnam’s Dao Thi Tu Anh in the semi-finals.

With another 10 gold medals in kumite still to be contested today and tomorrow, the national karate exponents are on course to better their best haul of 7-5-4 achieved outside Malaysia during the 1999 Brunei Games.

GeneChing
12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
there's nice tkd pic with the article

Vietnam capture more 12 golds, remain second (http://www.saigontimes.com.vn/daily/detail.asp?muc=3&Sobao=3089&SoTT=16)
Riedl resigns as Vietnamese football head coach

Vietnam’s Nguyen Van Hung (L) fights Philippines’ Alejandrino Michael in the men’s heavy weight over 84kg taekwondo at the at the SEA Games in Nakhon Ratchasima yesterday
By VU DUC

Hosts Thailand still consolidate the first place with 119 golds, 102 silvers and 83 bronzes. While Malaysia came third after taking 44 golds, 37 silvers and 72 bronzes. Singapore and Indonesia have 38 golds each.

Tran Van Toan opened a successful day for the Vietnamese sport delegation with a gold in the pencak silat event. Toan defeated M. Andi Supiantoro from Indonesia in the final game of the men’s under 55kg category.

Le Thi Hong Ngoan and Huynh Thi Thu Hong bagged up two more golds for Vietnam’s pencak silat team in the women’s over 65kg and under 55kg categories respectively. Nguyen Thanh Quyen brought home the fourth gold in the men’s over 80kg category.

Though competing in nine final games, however, the pencak silat athletes just gained four victories. The silver medalists were Dinh Cong Son in the men’s under 75kg, Le Ngoc Tan in the men’s under 65 kg, Nguyen Duy Chien in the men’s under 70kg, Vu The Hoang in the men’s under 80kg and Nguyen Thi Phuong Thuy in the women’s under 65kg categories.

SEA Games taekwondo champion Nguyen Trong Cuong clinched a gold medal in the men’s under 84kg category before his older brother Nguyen Van Hung became the champion of the men’s over 84kg category.

In karate event, Nguyen Hoang Ngan, Vu Thi Hong Thu and Nguyen Thi Thu Hien grasped the gold in the team women’s kata and Vu Thi Nguyet Anh won the gold in the women’s under 48kg category.

However, world champion Nguyen Hoang Ngan failed to secure the gold in the individual women’s kata and men’s kata team just took home the silver. The two more silvers went to Dao Thi Tu Anh in the women’s under 53kg and Pham Hoai Long in the men’s under 55kg category.

Nguyen Thi Kieu grabbed the second gold medal for the judo team in the women’s 57-kilogram category and Tran Thi Bich Tram also took the gold in the women’s 52kg category.

In the canoe flat, Luu Van Hoan and Tran Van Long finished first in the C2 1,000 meter men event. Vietnamese rowers also took the silver in the K2 1,000 meter men event.

Meanwhile, Chi Ba, Thanh Tuan and Tien Cuong shared one gold in the compound bow men’s archery team event.

The women’s sepaktakraw team failed to take a gold medal in the women’s sepaktakraw final of the regu event after losing to archrivals Thailand 2-0.

The Austrian accepted to resign at VFF’s request after the poor performance of the national football team at the on-going SEA Games in Thailand.

Riedl signed his resignation, which the VFF had prepared yesterday morning, though he was determined not to give up his post a day earlier. VFF will have to pay Riedl US$30,000 in compensation because his employment contract lasts until next April.

Riedl also faced harsh criticisms on the local media and the overenthusiastic fans as well as VFF’s members when his squad failed to reach the finals of the Games’ men football event.

Mai Duc Chung, serving as assistant to the head coach, will temporarily replace Rield until VFF finds a replacement.

Riedl, 48, has spent ten years in Vietnam serving as head coach, however, he failed to gain any championship at the SEA Games as well as regional competition.

Riedl just helped the national squad winning the silver medal at the Tiger Cup 1998, the bronze at the Dunhill Cup 1999, silver medals at SEA Games 1999 and 2003. He also led the team to the quarter-finals of the Asian Cup 2007 and the third qualifying round for the 2008 Olympics.

In 2004, Brazilian coach Tavares was sacked after his team defeated 0-3 at home by Indonesia at the Tiger Cup 2004.

Alfred Riedl
The national football squad showed poor performance at the SEA Games as they lost 2-3 to Singapore in the qualifying round, before knocked out by Myanmar in the semifinals with the score of 3-1 in the penalty shootout.

Vietnam will fight again Singapore for bronze medal on Friday.

sanjuro_ronin
12-13-2007, 10:42 AM
In regards to the Philipinos protests, politics and sports go hand in hand nowadays, best why to keep the judge factor out is to KO your opponent.

GeneChing
12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
The SEA Games sounds like a lot of fun - some really interesting events.

2009 SEA Games to reduce number of Olympic sports (http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/16/sports/games16.php)
By CHRIS LINES The Associated Press
Published: December 16, 2007

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, Thailand: The next Southeast Asian Games will reduce the number of Olympic sports.

Cycling, basketball, gymnastics, hockey, rowing and weightlifting are among Olympic sports at the current SEA Games that will be absent in Vientiane, Laos in December 2009.

The games will retain events like tenpin bowling, petanque, billiards, 'dragon' boat racing, sepak takraw, the more obscure martial arts of wushu, Muay Thai and pencak silat, and will resume the sport of juggling a shuttle**** with feet.

There will be 25 disciplines compared to 43 in Nakhon Ratchasima.

The cutback is partly due to the landlocked country - with no sailing, windsurfing or triathlon - and also lack of facilities in Vientiane.

Organizers also wanted to reduce the breadth of the games, with many events currently having small fields and weak competition.

Thailand swept the final day of medals, winning gold in men's, women's and mixed doubles tennis on Saturday. In beach volleyball, Indonesia defeated Thailand in straight sets to take men's gold while Yupa Phokongploy and Kulna Kamoltip edged another Thai pair in the deciding third set to take the women's event.

Thailand topped the table with 183 gold medals, with the games' closing ceremony on Saturday.

It was the fourth straight SEA Games where the host nation had finished top of the standings.

Debate about home advantage reached boiling point here in boxing, where the Philippines forfeited six men's gold medal bouts in a protest at judging in the women's finals - where its boxers lost out to Thai opponents in all five bouts that were decided on points.

The Philippines' protest spared its fighters having to compete with a world-class array of Thai boxers. The Philippines was considered to benefit from the judging at the Manila event in 2005.

The protest robbed the Games of a rare display of world-competitive athletes in gold medal competition. Manus Boonjamnong and his brother Non, Amnat Ruenroeng, Somjit Jongjohor, Pichai Sayota and Suriya Prasathinphimai will all be genuine threats for the Philippines at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Aside from boxing, the only other Olympic gold prospects on display were in shooting and badminton.

Shooting was held before the Games started to avoid a clash with an Asian championship.

In badminton, Indonesia swept all seven gold medals, led by reigning Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat in men's singles. However Indonesia was not put fully to the test as Malaysia's top male and female players sat out the Games - and both nations will be hard pressed to match the powerhouse of China in Beijing.

The most popular win was that of the Thai men's under-23 soccer team. Thailand won an eighth straight SEA Games gold by defeating Myanmar 2-0 in the final Friday before a sell-out crowd. However, Thailand had already failed to qualify for Beijing.

On the track, Indonesia's Suryo Agung Wibowo won the 100 and 200 meters double for men, as did Vietnam's Vu Thi Huong for women. Similarly, the 5,000 and 10,000 meters double was won by Thailand's Boonthung Srisung for men and Indonesia's Triyaningsih in the women's. Vietnam monopolized the 800 and 1,500 meter events, with Nguyen Dinh Cuong doing the men's double and Hang Truong Thanh the women's.

Thailand's Beijing-bound Wassana Winatho not only won the heptathlon but also the women's 400 meters hurdle, and took gold in the 4x400 meter relay.

In the pool, Thailand's Natthanan Jankrajang won four golds in women's events, as did Singapore's Chinese-born Tao Li.

FINAL MEDAL STANDINGS AT THE 2007 SOUTHEAST ASIAN GAMES

Thailand 183 123 103 409

Malaysia 68 52 96 216

Vietnam 64 58 82 204

Indonesia 56 64 83 203

Singapore 43 43 41 127

Philippines 41 91 96 228

Myanmar 14 26 47 87

Laos 5 7 32 44

Cambodia 2 5 11 18

Brunei Darrusalam 1 1 4 6

GeneChing
03-20-2009, 09:32 AM
The prez is all place in the top three. we got no money for you, but do it....:rolleyes:

SBY wants a top-three spot for Indonesia at SEA Games (http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/03/19/sby-wants-a-topthree-spot-indonesia-sea-games.html)
Erwida Maulia & Agnes Winarti , The Jakarta Post , Jakarta | Thu, 03/19/2009 3:03 PM | Sports

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has asked the National Sports Council (KONI) to lead Indonesia to a top-three finish at this year's Southeast Asian (SEA) Games XXV, to be held in Laos.

The president pledged full funding to help the athletes prepare, adding he would immediately discuss the issue after the legislative elections.

"Let's target a top-three finish. That is no illusion; that's a real target. And you have to have a strong will, undergo training and prepare good logistics to meet the expectations," the President said Wednesday as he officiated KONI's two-day national meeting at the Presidential Palace.

The President, chief patron of the Democratic Party, said he did not want to commence the talks before the elections, over concerns the move could be construed as "something else".

Indonesia used to be the dominant force in the Southeast Asian multisport showcase, until 1997 when it hosted the biennial event.

At the last SEA Games in Thailand in 2007, attended by 10 Southeast Asian countries, Indonesia finished a lowly fourth, trailing winners Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam.

Yudhoyono said the government had continuously increased the budget allocation for sports each year.

With the global economic crisis expected to slash Indonesia's tax revenues, the President expressed hope the private sector would help develop the country's sports through corporate social responsibility programs.

"It looks like I have to descend the mountain to call for someone to help," he said, adding he enjoyed watching sports and wanted the public to enjoy them too. "We want the public to appreciate sports because they provide good life lessons."

He added sports could teach people about sportsmanship, an attitude that should also be exhibited by candidates in elections.

The President told KONI to build up the country's sports structure based on long-term visions, and to aim for achievements at the global level.

The KONI meeting, which kicked off Tuesday, was attended by hundreds of participants representing KONI's 33 provincial branches and 49 sports federations.

The Laos SEA Games, which will take place in December, is among the list of events Indonesia will participate in this year. The others include the 5th Paralympics Games, also in Laos (December), the 3rd Asian Indoor Games in Vietnam (November), the 2nd Islamic Solidarity Games in Iran (October), the 1st Asian Youth Games in Singapore (June) and the 1st Asian Martial Arts Games in Thailand (April).

KONI chairwoman Rita Subowo said the council would receive an allocation of Rp 120 billion from the government for a national training camp.

"We expect to receive the funds soon," Rita said after the meeting.

"The President is aware that to achieve *in sports*, good funding is needed. After the elections in April, we will be summoned to further discus about funding."

KONI will participate in 22 sports from 26 on offer in Laos, while for the 1st Asian Martial Arts Games, which will be held in Bangkok from April 25 to May 3, KONI will join fights in five of nine sports, including karate, wushu, taekwondo, judo and pencak silat.

GeneChing
05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
But the SEA Games are mentioned the most prominently...

Last Updated: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:27:32 Vietnam (GMT+07)
Passion fuels wushu warrior (http://www.thanhniennews.com/sports/?catid=5&newsid=48986)

A young martial arts star and daughter of a wushu champion says it was sweat and tears that got her where she is today, not nepotism.

Vu Thuy Linh admits that she might have become a singer or a teacher had she not followed her mother’s footsteps into a life as a wushu martial arts master.

The 19-year-old says having her mother as a trainer was an advantage, but that she still had to endure pain and hardship to win international recognition as one of Southeast Asia’s best fighters.

However, some have said that Linh’s success is not only due to her mother’s training, but also her status as a government official.

“I don’t think I’ve gotten where I am because of my mother’s power,” Linh says. “I know my strengths and weaknesses.”

And indeed, she showed the strengths when she won the gold medal at the 2007 SEA Games wushu competition by defeating some of the sport’s best athletes.

Learning the art

Linh’s mother took her to her first wushu class when she was just five years old.

“I practiced it for a few days and was interested, but it was too tiring and I wanted to sing, not fight.”

Linh then began studying singing.

“After two years of song classes, I told Mom I was ready to try wushu again. But she said I would have to try my best and there would be no giving up this time.”

Linh quickly developed advanced nanquan skills, which were her mother’s specialty. But it took extra practice for her to master the more difficult changquan style.

She had to lift weights to gain the necessary strength for changquan, which she says she regrets a bit because she feels the lifting stunted her growth. Though she says she’s too short and fat, its hard not to describe the 1.63-meter Linh as both tall and attractive.

Detour

In 2005, Linh injured her knee and had to stop practicing while she received treatment in China. It was a huge setback as she ended up missing several major international events that year while she recovered.

Linh says she became very pessimistic but that encouraging words and care from her parents, trainers and friends helped her regain her confidence.

As she nursed her injury for six months, she decided to help teach junior wushu classes for children.

“I was just like them when I was a child. I felt very happy to be able to help out,” she said.

Rise

After months of watching from the sidelines as her friends practiced, Linh began to feel a burning desire to train again.

She began practicing in May 2007, before she had fully recovered. She had her sights set on the 24th Southeast Asian Games in December that year.

Linh felt a lot of pressure to perform after years out of the game and says she tried to practice 10 times harder than her teammates.

“At times it was very painful and I couldn’t walk after some practices. My teammates had to help me and I often cried.”

But the effort paid off when she won the gold medal at the SEA Games.

She says her strength is her confidence. She says she forgets about all the worries of life when she competes and only feels truly free wile performing.

“But this is also a weakness,” Linh says. “When I get too excited, I sometimes forget the difficult movements and make mistakes.”

For the future

Now, Linh and her teammates are training for several events at the end of the year: the Asian Wushu Championships, the World Wushu Championships and the 25th SEA Games in Laos.

She’s also an assistant trainer for the 14-15 year-old national squad.

The young warrior is also learning Chinese in preparation to take the entrance exam to the Beijing University for Physical Training and Sports, where some of the world’s best wushu artists have trained.

Reported by Hong Minh

VU THUY LINH
Born: 1990 in Hanoi
Nickname: “Linh Beo” (Fatty Linh)
Won a bronze medal at the national junior wushu competiton at the age of nine; won three golds at the Asian Youth Wushu competitions in 2003, 2005, and 2007
Once won first prize at a singing competition in Hanoi

GeneChing
07-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I should start a 10WWG thread here.... eh...maybe later...:rolleyes:

June 24, 2009 19:41 PM
World Championship To Be Last Tango For Wushu Exponents Before Sea Games (http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newssport.php?id=420515)

KUALA LUMPUR, June 24 (Bernama) -- The 10th World Wushu Championship in Canada this October is expected to be the final platform for national wushu exponents to boost their skills and confidence before the SEA Games in Vientiane, Laos in December.

Wushu Federation of Malaysia (WFM) executive secretary Winnie Chin Kim Yoong told Bernama that the World Championship to be held from Oct 24-29 in Toronto will be the last major event before the SEA Games from Dec 9-18.

"We expect national exponents who compete in the championship to gain very good exposure to boost their confidence before heading to Laos. This is also an acid test for them," said Chin.

Among the exponents who have been identified for the World Wushu Championship are Lim Yew Fai, Pui Fook Chien, Ang Eng Chong, Lee Yang, Wee Jung Jieh (Taolu) and Ng Say Yoke, Wong Her Jien, Ding Siew Bee for (Sanshou).

At the last World Wushu Championship in Beijing, two years ago, more than 1,000 wushu exponents from 89 countries took part and a similar participation was expected in Canada, she said.

Chin said the national exponents were currently undergoing intensive training at the National Sports Complex in Bukit Jalil under head coach Yoong Tong Foong as preparations for the international and regional championships.

The SEA Games offers a total of 383 gold medals in the 25 sports contested, from which 21 gold medals are allocated for Wushu competitions.

Malaysia won two gold medals at the 2007 Korat SEA Games in Thailand through the women's Nanquan and Taijiquan.

Chin however, said the federation has yet to set any targets for SEA Games but was confident the national exponents would be able to win several gold medals.

-- BERNAMA

GeneChing
12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I omitted all but the martial artists in the first article...

Indonesian Athletes to Watch at the SEA Games (http://thejakartaglobe.com/sports/indonesian-athletes-to-watch-at-the-sea-games/346231)

Here are some of Indonesia's strongest medal hopefuls at the Southeast Asian Games.

Wushu: Lindswell, 19

Two years ago in Thailand, Lindswell was just another wushu athlete, and she was ousted in the first round of the taijiquan event.

What a difference a couple of years make. At the 2009 SEA Games, Lindswell is the one to beat as she comes into Laos with two world titles.

The North Sumatra native won the World Junior Wushu Championship in Bali last December. And in October of this year, she took the taijiquan title at the Wushu World Championship in Toronto, Canada.

Lindswell said that she’s optimistic about her gold medal chances in Laos, but pointed to Ma laysian Ng Shin Yi, who finished fourth in Canada, as the biggest threat .

Judo: Kresna Bayu, 34

Kresna Bayu is one of the most experienced athletes on the Indonesian team, having spent the last 20 years with the national judo squad, and he’s still the best in the 100-kg division.

The Laos Games will be Kresna’s seventh SEA Games, and he has collected four gold medals so far. The last of these golds came in 2001. He earned silver in Thailand in 2007.

Kresna has said that the Laos Games will be his last before retiring from the sport, and that he wants to end his long career with a gold.

He’s been training hard for that gold, and a victory at August’s Asian Martial Arts Games in Thailand proved that for Kresna, age is, indeed, only a number.

Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:51 AM
Wushu, karate hope to improve; boxers look to break dry spell (http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/12/04/wushu-karate-hope-improve-boxers-look-break-dry-spell.html)
Agnes Winarti , The Jakarta Post , Jakarta | Fri, 12/04/2009 2:20 PM | Sports

The Indonesian wushu and karate teams aim to improve their gold medal tally from the last Southeast Asian Games while the boxers look to end a gold drought in Laos.

After managing to steal the show at the World Wushu Championships in Canada in October, Wushu Indonesia is confident its female wushu athletes will be able to maintain their form and improve the country's gold medal collection at the next SEA Games in Laos.

"Our two gold medal hopes rest with our female taolu athletes, Lindswell and Susyana *Tjhan*," team manager Ngatino said Wednesday.

Indonesia picked up one gold medal at the SEA Games in Thailand two years ago courtesy of men's taijiquan specialist Freddy, but the squad could only add a silver and four bronze to the tally.

This year the 18-strong team is heading to Laos with more confidence after their Toronto trip where 18-year-old Lindswell earned them a gold medal in the women's taijiquan event.

Women's changquan specialist Susyana, who won bronze in Thailand, finished third in Toronto.

Meanwhile, the karate team is looking to increase their gold count from two in Thailand to three.

The 17 karatekas have undergone six weeks of intensive training under the supervision of Japanese coach Yasuhisa Inada.

"The fighters have improved their speed, variations, tactics and spirit," team manager Djafar Djantang said.

Gold is expected in the men's 84- and 60-kilogram divisions, the women's kata team and the men's and women's kumite teams.

A total of 19 karate gold medals are on offer at the Games.

The nine-member boxing team are looking to end the gold drought in the last two SEA Games by targeting three gold medals.

Indonesian boxers could only bring home a bronze in Thailand and a silver in the Philippines.

Indonesia last won gold in 2003 in Vietnam, through Benny Elopere.

According to team manager Syamsul Anwar, men's light heavyweight Ahmad Amrin, women's light bantamweight Yunike Abigael Busira, and women's bantamweight Welmy Pariama would be their medal prospects.

GeneChing
12-26-2013, 02:59 PM
I lost track of the SEA Games, but someone forwarded me this as more 'evidence' in lieu of the WWC lawsuit (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?61484-11th-World-Wushu-Games&p=1258457#post1258457). Evidence. Oh yeah. :rolleyes:

09 December 2013| last updated at 12:08AM
WUSHU: Mun Hua loses gold to bias judging (http://www.nst.com.my/sports/other/wushu-mun-hua-loses-gold-to-bias-judging-1.426555)

ONLY a month ago, Ho Mun Hua was crowned champion in men's nanquan at the World Championships in Kuala Lumpur but questionable judging robbed him a gold medal in the Sea Games in Naypyidaw yesterday.

Mun Hua was flawless in his routines but the judges only awarded him a 9.68 total, losing the gold medal by 0.02 points to Myanmar's Aung Wai Phyo in nanquan. Compatriot Kyaw Soe took third on 9.67.

National coach Yoong Thong Fong lambasted the officials for being unfair but Mun Hua did not want to make it an issue.

"Somehow I knew this thing (questionable judging) would happen. Mun Hua was far better than his rivals today (yesterday) but finished only second best," said Thong Fong at Wunna Theitdi Indoor Stadium yesterday.

"Bias judging is not uncommon in this sport. I've been to six Sea Games and most have been marred by unfair judging. We need things to improve."

However, Thong Fong is confident Mun Hua will return strongly in the nandao (today) and nangun (tomorrow). Mun Hua, who won his first nanquan world title in 2009 in Toronto, also picked up a silver in duilian with Wong Weng Son and Lee Yang, who combined for a 9.48 total.

Myanmar's Kyaw Htet Han-Aung Sein Thiha took gold with 9.65 while Singapore's Lee Tze Yuan-Yong Yi Xiang were third on 9.47.

As for Mun Hua, it was still an eventful day despite being robbed the gold after failing to win medals in two previous appearances.

The Malacca-born made his debut in the 2007 Korat edition and competed two years later in Laos but did not feature in the 2011 Indonesia edition due to injury.

"I am delighted and have no complains. I am happy with my performance and credit to the Myanmar exponent for winning the gold. My coach congratulated me and that meant a lot," said Mun Hua.

Mun Hua hopes his win in last month's world meet will inspire him in nandao today.

http://w1.nst.com.my/polopoly_fs/1.426556.1386518826!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_454/image.jpg
Wushu exponent Ho Mun Hua with his two silver medals yesterday. Bernama pic

GeneChing
01-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Luv this pic! Anyone know the rules to Vovinam competition and can put in a nutshell post here? This article makes it sound like Wushu Duilian, which I've always said should have been what Wushu submitted to the Olympics, not solo Taolu. I know frightfully little about Vovinam.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/sites/default/files/styles/two-col/public/field/image/24-Souer-Chanleakena-and-male-teammates-compete-during-their-gold-medal.jpg?itok=qcTtuaI1
Cambodia’s Souer Chanleakena (left) and her male teammates compete during their gold-medal-winning performance in the Da Luyen Vu Hhi Nu event of the SEA Games vovinam competition. NAGAWORLD / Khem Sovanna
Vovinam team give golden show (http://www.phnompenhpost.com/sport/vovinam-team-give-golden-show)
Fri, 20 December 2013
Dan Riley

Cambodia found themselves back on the golden path yesterday at the 27th SEA Games in Myanmar with triumph for the vovinam team. The Vietnamese martial art was the Kingdom’s most successful discipline at the 2011 Games in Indonesia, with team members grabbing two golds, seven silvers and three bronzes.

Yesterday’s morning session at the Zayar Thiri Indoor Stadium in Naypyidaw hadn’t offered much promise, however, with Chrin Bunlong, Kat Sopheak, Ly Boramy and San Socheat failing to repeat their silver medal in the men’s leg attack performance (known as Don Chan Tan Cong). The four were judged fifth on 265 points, as Vietnam clinched top spot with 280.

Cambodia’s Pov Sokha also missed out on the podium, coming fourth in women’s yin yang sword forms (Tinh Hoa Luong Nghu Kiem Phap) with 262. Myanmar’s Hnin Thi Da won with 269.

All was forgotten, however, in the afternoon when heroes Soeung Visal, Chin Piseth, Kat Sopheak and heroine Souer Chanleakena clinched gold in the one female defender against three male attackers with weapons performance (Da Luyen Vu Hhi Nu).

It was the Kingdom’s sixth gold medal of the Games, keeping them ninth in the medals table of 11. Thailand remain at the summit with 79 golds.

Two bronze medals were also kicked out for Cambodia on the vovinam mats with Mao Monita in women’s 45-50kg and Tin Pheap in men’s 55-60kg winning their quarter-finals but losing their semi-finals yesterday.

The delegation are hoping for more vovinam medals, as well as from events such as taekwondo, judo, kempo, sepak takraw and traditional boating before Sunday’s closing ceremony.

Bunna Cheang lost her women’s 53-57kg taekwondo quarter-final 15-1 on points at the Wunna Theikdi Indoor Stadium in Naypyidaw.

Cambodia had earlier yesterday spurned the chance to steal a march up the table on noisy neighbours Laos by losing the gold medal match in petanque mixed triples (two women, one man) at the Petanque Arena near Naypyidaw’s Athletes Village.

Tep Nora, Chhin Srey Pich and Duong Dina had been blazing a trail in the competition, winning all four preliminaries on Wednesday before dispatching Vietnam 13-6 in yesterday morning’s semi-final to guarantee silver.

But the trio came a cropper in the final despite surging into a 4-0 lead to eventually lose 13-5 to Laos players Thepphakan Bovilak, Nienmani Lar and Souliya Manyvanh.

Meanwhile, Cambodia’s other triples squad (two men, one woman) of Songvat Chakriya, Sieng Vanna and Ya Chandararith suffered a 13-9 defeat in the semi-finals to another Laos outfit to collect the bronze.

The Cambodian women’s hockey team conceded their hundredth goal in their fifth and final group game yesterday at the Hockey Field in Yangon, going down 7-0 to hosts Myanmar.

Pakistan-born coach Rana Asif Maqsood will be overwhelmed with areas to improve on but he should be commended for at least producing a team for competition out of absolutely no hockey tradition in the Kingdom and, indeed, not a single Astroturf facility suitable for training on at home.

The side will have one last chance to score a goal in the competition today when playing Indonesia, who beat them 15-0 on Monday, in the fifth place play-off at 10am Cambodian time. Myanmar will take on Singapore for the bronze medal at 12:30pm before huge favourites Malaysia meet Thailand in the title decider at 3pm.

At the athletics track of Naypyidaw’s Wunna Theikdi Sports Complex, Kieng Samorn came up short in the men’s 1,500 metres, finishing sixth. The Cambodian middle distance runner and London Olympian had made his way to second place up until the last 200m, when he appeared to run out of gas.

GeneChing
02-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Last update 11:00 | 20/02/2014
Five countries support Vietnam’s martial art Vovinam at next SEA Games (http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/sports/95887/five-countries-support-vietnam-s-martial-art-vovinam-at-next-sea-games.html)

VietNamNet Bridge – Vovinam – the martial art created by Vietnam - wins the strong support of five countries for a chance to appear in the 28th Southeast Asia Games, said Vice Chairman of the Vietnam Olympic Committee – Mr. Hoang Vinh Giang.

http://img.cdn2.vietnamnet.vn/Images/english/2014/02/19/13/20140219130941-1.jpg

Giang has just returned from the meeting of the Sub-Committee on Sport and Law of the Southeast Asian Sport Federation on February 14-16 in Singapore.

He said that at the meeting, representatives of Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Indonesia and Vietnam proposed to add Vovinam into the official competition program of the 28th SEA Games.

However, to formally appear in the games, Vovinam needs to get the consent of the host country - Singapore.

General Secretary of the World Vovinam Federation – Mr. Vo Danh Hai said Vietnam has actively lobbied the host country.

According to Hai, the World Vovinam Federation will help Singapore develop the Vovinam movement and establish the national Vovinam federation. After that, Vietnam will send experts to help Singapore develop the martial art and train its national team.

Vovinam appeared in the two most recent SEA Games in Indonesia and Myanmar. These countries are building forces to develop this martial art.

Hai said the biggest difficulty is that the Singaporean Olympic Committee has long supported the development of basic sports in the Olympic program.

At the meeting, countries also proposed to add seven other sports, including wrestling, to the next SEA Games.

The Sub-Committee on Sport and Law of the Southeast Asian Sport Federation is the most important body, which has a voice in determining the number of subjects and the number of competing events at the SEA Games.

The host country—Singapore, suggested 36 sports for the next SEA Games. Up to 34 sports are Vietnam’s key sports, including athletics, swimming, weightlifting, taekwondo, shooting, karate, badminton, table tennis, football, volleyball, judo, wushu, Sepak Takraw, fencing, gymnastics, Pencak Silat, archery, cycling and tennis.

Vovinam - Viet Vo Dao - is a Vietnamese martial art which is practiced with and without weapons. It is based on the principle of between hard and soft. It includes training of the body as well as the mind. It uses force and reaction of the opponent. Vovinam also includes hand, elbow, kicks, escape- and levering techniques. Both attack and defense techniques are trained, as well as forms, combat and traditional wrestling. The wide range of techniques include punching, kicking etc. as well as forms, wrestling, sword, staff, axe, folding fan and others.

Self-defense techniques cover defense against weaponless attacks like choking from behind and defense against attacks with knife or sword. Advanced students learn to combine the techniques and learn to defend themselves against armed opponents. Instructors train traditional weapons like the long stick, short stick, knife, sword and sabre. Thereby the weapons serve as training devices for reaching optimal control of body and mind.

Vovinam was founded by grandmaster Nguyen Loc (1912 – 1960) in 1938, with the intent of providing practitioners with an efficient method of self-defense after a short period of study. Grandmaster Nguyen believed martial arts would contribute to freeing Vietnam, which had been ruled by France since 1859, from outside domination. Vovinam is a comprehensive fighting system which have principles totally different amongst a bulk of Chinese styles of kung fu, Japanese and Korean systems.

Nam Nguyen I would love to see more on the history of Vovinam.

GeneChing
03-26-2015, 10:36 AM
All M’sian SEA Games athletes to undergo drug tests (http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/sports/2015/03/25/all-malaysian-sea-games-athletes-to-undergo-drug-test/)
March 25, 2015

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/doping-sea-games1.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: All Malaysian athletes taking part in Southeast Asian Games in June will have undergone a doping test before arriving in Singapore, the country’s sports minister said.

Malaysia has been rocked by high-profile doping cases in recent months with the country’s most famous athlete, former badminton number one Lee Chong Wei, provisionally suspended after he failed a test at the world championships in August.

Tai Cheau Xuen became the first Malaysian Asian Games gold medallist to fail a drugs test after the Wushu exponent tested positive for sibutramine and was kicked out of the multi-sport event after failing with an appeal in October.

“I have ordered the Malaysian Anti-Doping Agency to conduct doping tests on every athlete going to the SEA Games,” sports ministers Khairy Jamaluddin was quoted as saying by Bernama news agency yesterday.

Bernama said only 30 per cent of Malaysian athletes had been previously tested before going to a major sports event.

Malaysia sent more than 500 athletes to the last Southeast Asian Games in Myanmar in 2013.

The 28th SEA Games will take place from June 5-16 with athletes from the 11 nations that make up Southeast Asia taking part in an eclectic mix of 36 sports including athletics, billiards, sepak takraw and swimming. Trying to save face this year.

GeneChing
05-12-2015, 05:43 PM
The Asian Games story starts here (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?58907-Asian-Games&p=1277228#post1277228).

Published: Monday May 11, 2015 MYT 9:40:00 PM
Updated: Monday May 11, 2015 MYT 10:18:57 PM
Wushu exponent Cheau Xuen back in the fray after doping ban (http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Other-Sport/2015/05/11/Wushu-exponent-Cheau-Xuen-back-in-the-fray-after-doping-ban/)
by lim teik huat

http://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/Images/TSOL/Photos-Upload/From%20DCX/2015/05/11/doc6h4g38ck6j6ebw2nlzo.ashx?w=620&h=413&crop=1&
National wushu exponent Tai Cheau Xuen with the gold medal she won at the Asian Games in South Korea last year. She was stripped of the gold medal after failing a dope test. - Filepic

KUALA LUMPUR: Wushu exponent Tai Cheau Xuen thought her career was over when she was banned for four months for a doping offence at the Asian Games last September.

The 23-year-old was the first Malaysian gold medallist in Incheon, South Korea, after winning the women’s nanquan and nandao combined event. But her world came crumbling down after she was tested positive for sibutramine, an ingredient commonly found in slimming products.

She lost her gold medal and was banned for four months. The ban ended at the end of March this year.

And now Cheau Xuen’s back and is all fired up to make up for lost time. She will make her first competitive appearance at next month’s Singapore SEA Games.

“I didn’t expect to get a chance to compete at the SEA Games,” said Cheau Xuen, the 2013 world champion in compulsory nanquan, on Monday.

“I thought my career was over after the ban. It was tough during the suspension, as I had nothing to do.

“But I was advised to keep fit by doing muscle strengthening exercise on my own. I’m glad it’s over now and I’m going to the SEA Games,” said the 23-year-old from Seremban.

Cheau Xeun said she would not have been able to make a comeback if not for her family’s support.

“My dad (T.W. Tai) asked me to forget what happened and not to dwell on the past,” added Cheau Xuen, who recently returned home with the national team from a month-long training stint in Foochow, China.

The Singapore outing will be Cheau Xuen’s fifth outing in the biennial Games. She made her debut in Korat, Thailand, in 2007 where she managed to finish second behind compatriot Diana Bong Siong Lin in the nanquan and nandao combined events.

In Laos in 2009, Cheau Xuen could only manage a bronze in the duel event bare hands. It was in Indonesia in 2011 that Cheau Xuen managed to clinch her first gold in the nandao and nangun combined event.

Cheau Xuen was on top of the podium again in Myanmar in 2013 by winning the nandao event. She is now eyeing her third gold in Singapore.

“It’s harder this time as the nanquan and nandao disciplines are combined into one event. But I did not expect to be at the SEA Games in the first place, so I am going to try my best,” said Cheau Xuen.

Wushu delivered three golds, all in the women’s category, for Malaysia in 2013. Besides Cheau Xuen, the other gold medallists were Diana (nanquan) and Phoon Eyin (qiangshu).

GeneChing
06-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Schooling in Singapore, where focus is all on SEA Games (http://news.yahoo.com/schooling-singapore-where-focus-sea-games-103940805.html)
Associated Press By JOHN PYE
5 hours ago

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Tc24VcZwlNEd101zzOKVRg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTYzODtpbD1wbGFuZTtweW 9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/a4049e58f4026a18780f6a706700fec7.jpg
In this Wednesday, June 3, 2015, photo, visitors to the Singapore Sports hub view a giant blow up model of the 2015 South East Asian games mascot 'Nila' in Singapore. There's certainly world-class competitors among the 7,000 athletes expected to compete across 36 sports at the 11-nation competition which opens Friday and finishes June 16, but there's going to be events where the regional sports themselves are a main attraction for local spectators. (AP Photo/Joseph Nair)

SINGAPORE (AP) — After competing at the Olympics and winning an Asian Games gold medal, Joseph Schooling has a big profile in Singapore for an athlete who rarely gets to compete in front of appreciative crowds in his home country.
Related Stories

So when he swims the first of his scheduled nine events at the Southeast Asian Games on the weekend, there's destined to be a lot of hype around the pool at the gleaming new Singapore Sports Hub.

"This is my home, where I grew up and where everything started. My friends and family are going to be there and I'm really excited to be racing in a home atmosphere for once," the 19-year-old University of Texas student told the Straits Times.

His aim is gold in every event.

For Lee Chong Wei, the 28th edition of the SEA Games presents a different kind of opportunity, still very close to home. The Malaysian, a former No. 1-ranked badminton player, is using the regional Olympic-style event as part of a return to competition from a doping ban that has derailed his preparations for the 2016 Olympics and cost him a world championship silver medal.

He'll be competing for Malaysia in the team event, and says he's desperate to help them win a gold medal.

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/h.dSsmiXeqjS0NOjybmpgQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTYzODtpbD1wbGFuZTtweW 9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/13c9e8bff4106a18780f6a706700d575.jpg
In this Wednesday, June 3, 2015, photo, the unlit torch for the 2015 South East Asian Games in Singapore is photographed with the Singapore skyline in the distance. There's certainly world-class competitors among the 7,000 athletes expected to compete across 36 sports at the 11-nation competition which opens Friday and finishes June 16, but there's going to be events where the regional sports themselves are a main attraction for local spectators. (AP Photo/Joseph Nair)

The SEA Games, held every two years, wasn't high on his radar when he was at the top, but takes on a much higher profile as his second important competition since a backdated eight-month ban finished at the end of April.

There's certainly world-class competitors among the 7,000 athletes expected to compete across 36 sports at the 11-nation competition which opens Friday and finishes June 16, but there's going to be events where the regional sports themselves are a main attraction for local spectators.

Sepak takraw, where players kick a rattan ball, and Silat, a form of martial arts that evolved in Indonesia, are among the sports indigenous to the region that rarely get exposure at bigger events but which have local appeal.

Singapore's landmarks, old and new, will provide the backdrop to many of the events during the country's 50th anniversary, with the state-of-the-art Sports Hub the focal point. Other venues include the Padang, the picturesque cricket ground adjoined by the city hall, a cathedral and the old Supreme Court building which will host petanque, a lawn bowls-style game.

The opening ceremony on Friday night at the 55,000-seat National Stadium will mark the official opening of the SEA Games, although competition started early in the week in football, netball, table tennis and synchronized swimming.

The football competition will be the last for Indonesia in international tournaments until a ban imposed by FIFA last week for government interference is lifted. It could be an abrupt finish, with the Indonesian team losing its opening game and not among the title favorites in what is one of the marquee events at the SEA Games.

Hosting the SEA Games usually gives the home country a boost in the medal standings, and Singapore started well by picking up five of the first eight gold medals awarded in table tennis and synchronized swimming.

Schooling won silver in the 100 butterfly at the Commonwealth Games last year, and won a bronze, silver and Singapore's first Asian Games men's swimming gold in 32 years at Incheon later in the year.

"I know Joseph, he's going to be ready. This is his country, it's the 50th anniversary and he will show his best," Singapore head coach Sergio Lopez said.
I imagine the Wushu will be good in Singapore.

GeneChing
06-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Plus it has a fencing pic. Luv that. :)

Posted on June 04, 2015 05:38:00 PM
By Rey Joble and Michael Angelo S. Murillo, Reporter
Taekwondo, wushu out to deliver golds for PHL at the SEA Games (http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=Sports&title=taekwondo-wushu-out-to-deliver-golds-for-phl-at-the-sea-games&id=109132)

SINGAPORE -- The Philippine taekwondo contingent has consistently produced gold medals for the country in previous Southeast Asian (SEA) Games and has in fact reached the world championships and Olympic events levels.

http://adserver.bworldonline.com/webpics/articles/image/201506047d357.jpg
Gian Franco Rodriguez (L) of the Philippines competes against Indonesia’s Muhammad Haerullah in their men’s individual épée round of 16 fencing match during the 28th Southeast Asian Games in Singapore on June 3. -- AFP

But the jins will be bringing in new faces who will carry the fort in helping the country’s gold haul in the biennial meet.

Returning to action for the jins’ campaign is the men’s Poomsae team, which will welcome its latest inclusion, Rodolfo Reyes, Jr., who will join mainstays brothers Dustin Jacob and Raphael Enrico Mella.

The Poomsae team won one of the four gold medals garnered by the jins in the 2013 edition of this multi-sports event in Myanmar.

The three other gold medalists -- Kristopher Robert Uy, Kristie Alora and Jade Zafra, are no longer with the team as their spots were taken over by other young, promising athletes.

Still, Philippine Taekwondo Training Director Igor Mella remains upbeat of the team’s chances and hoping that all the athletes they sent for the Games would deliver.

“I think the three times a day training have somehow helped us to become more prepared for the SEA Games,” said Mr. Mella in an interview with a local channel here.

Wushu is another combat sport that has become a rich source of gold for the Pinoys.

Daniel Parantac, gold medalist in the men’s tajiquian, will once again spearhead the wushu bets’ campaign as the team tries to outdo the three-gold haul it completed in Myanmar.

“We want 50 gold medals because it’s time we get up there,” said Cynthia Carrion, the head of the gymnastics association.

“Our expectations are good because this is the first time the POC (Philippine Olympic Committee) and the PSC (Philippine Sports Commission) gave them the tools. Before, they didn’t,” Ms. Carrion said.

“They gave them strengthening, conditioning exercises and they gave them nutrition.”

Also the Deputy chef de mission for the SEA Games Ms. Carrion during the sendoff expressed confidence the Philippines could attain winning 50 gold medals, owing to the important tool provided by the POC and the PSC gearing up for battles in major international events like the SEA Games.

‘BETTER-PREPARED’ PHL CONTINGENT
Meanwhile, as action picks up in Singapore a “better-prepared” Philippine contingent is all set to go to work, a local sports official said.

The Philippine campaign in the biannual sports gathering is anchored on a 472-athlete contingent who will see action in 35 events out of 36 disciplines.

“It’s all systems go. All the administrative stuff for our contingent is being taken cared of. The Philippine Sports Commission and Philippine Olympic Committee staff are here to facilitate things for our team,” said Joey Romasanta, POC first vice-president, in a phone interview from Singapore.

Mr. Romasanta said following a “disappointing” showing in 2013 in Myanmar where the Philippines placed seventh overall with a medal haul of 29 golds, 34 silvers and 38 bronzes, by far the worst placing for the country in the history of the Games, they made sure that they are sending “battle-ready” athletes to compete.

“Conditioning-wise we are improved this year. We really put emphasis on, and invested in, strength and conditioning for our athletes, as well as on nutrition. That being said, I think we have better chances this time as we are better-prepared,” the official, who is also the president of the Larong Volleyball sa Pilipinas, Inc., said.

The added focus on conditioning and strength ran alongside the raise in allowance for athletes from $300 to $500 as well as other incentives for medals won which are all geared toward inspiring the country’s sportsmen.

Competing in more events, Mr. Romasanta said, should help our chances of winning medals but he cautioned that it does not guarantee instant success.

Asked for a medal haul prediction, Mr. Romasanta chose to be conservative, underscoring the difficulty of throwing in figures.

“If we get 35 gold medals, I think we are good,” he said.

GeneChing
06-05-2015, 09:17 AM
Y'all know why I'm posting this, right?

Published: Tuesday June 2, 2015 MYT 10:29:00 PM
Updated: Tuesday June 2, 2015 MYT 10:38:43 PM
Wushu: Clean slate for Eyin in Singapore SEA Games
by lim teik huat

http://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/Images/TSOL/Photos-Upload/From%20DCX/2015/06/02/doc6fdqfy004h1bx4t32ms.ashx?w=620&h=413&crop=1&
National wushu exponent Phoon Eyin.

KUALA LUMPUR: Her face was plastered all over the local papers when she won Malaysia’s 1,000th SEA Games gold medal in Myanmar two years ago as a debutant.

But that’s all in the past for Phoon Eyin, one of the three women’s gold medallists for wushu then.

The photogenic teenager, whose forte is in qiangshu (spear), left with the squad for the Singapore SEA Games on Tuesday. The wushu competition starts on Saturday.

“That was then ... it’s a different SEA Games now and in a different place, so I’ll start afresh.

“It’s harder for me to defend it than winning it the first time,” said the Negri Sembilan-born Eyin, who won gold in compulsory chanquan at the World Championships in Kuala Lumpur in 2013.

She is counting on the recent three-week training stint in China, under two-time Asian Games champion Kan Wencong, to defend her SEA Games title in qiangshu.

“I trained in Hebei under Wencong last month. She runs a wushu school there and we managed to spar with some top athletes there.

“I have improved on my techniques. I hope I can be calm and perform well on competition day,” said Eyin, who also bagged a bronze in jianshu (straight sword) in Myanmar.

Eyin finished fifth in her Asian Games debut in Incheon in qiangshu while Vietnam’s Duong Thuy Vi took the gold. The duo are expected to lock horns in for the gold medal in Singapore.

“Winning the Asian Games title sure makes her the favourite but I’m not worried. I’m just focused on my own performance.”

Besides qiangshu, Eyin will also take part in jianshu and the duel event with Loh Ying Ting.

The other in the Malaysia wushu team are Diana Bong, Tai Cheau Xuen, Ng Shin Yii, Chan Lu Yi, Audrey Chan, Aggie Cheah and Chai Fong Wei (women); Ho Mun Hua, Khaw Jun Lim, Loh Choon How, Loh Jack Chang, Wong Weng Son, Yap Zheng Yan, Yeap Wai Kin, Chong Lui Meng and Tan Jia Guan (men).

GeneChing
06-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Y'all know why I'm posting this, right? Sword-hotties (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?41007-Sword-hotties). ;)

Published: Tuesday June 2, 2015 MYT 10:29:00 PM
Updated: Tuesday June 2, 2015 MYT 10:38:43 PM
Wushu: Clean slate for Eyin in Singapore SEA Games (http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Other-Sport/2015/06/02/Wushu-Clean-slate-for-Eyin-in-Singapore-SEA-Games/)
by lim teik huat

http://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/Images/TSOL/Photos-Upload/From%20DCX/2015/06/02/doc6fdqfy004h1bx4t32ms.ashx?w=620&h=413&crop=1&
National wushu exponent Phoon Eyin.

KUALA LUMPUR: Her face was plastered all over the local papers when she won Malaysia’s 1,000th SEA Games gold medal in Myanmar two years ago as a debutant.

But that’s all in the past for Phoon Eyin, one of the three women’s gold medallists for wushu then.

The photogenic teenager, whose forte is in qiangshu (spear), left with the squad for the Singapore SEA Games on Tuesday. The wushu competition starts on Saturday.

“That was then ... it’s a different SEA Games now and in a different place, so I’ll start afresh.

“It’s harder for me to defend it than winning it the first time,” said the Negri Sembilan-born Eyin, who won gold in compulsory chanquan at the World Championships in Kuala Lumpur in 2013.

She is counting on the recent three-week training stint in China, under two-time Asian Games champion Kan Wencong, to defend her SEA Games title in qiangshu.

“I trained in Hebei under Wencong last month. She runs a wushu school there and we managed to spar with some top athletes there.

“I have improved on my techniques. I hope I can be calm and perform well on competition day,” said Eyin, who also bagged a bronze in jianshu (straight sword) in Myanmar.

Eyin finished fifth in her Asian Games debut in Incheon in qiangshu while Vietnam’s Duong Thuy Vi took the gold. The duo are expected to lock horns in for the gold medal in Singapore.

“Winning the Asian Games title sure makes her the favourite but I’m not worried. I’m just focused on my own performance.”

Besides qiangshu, Eyin will also take part in jianshu and the duel event with Loh Ying Ting.

The other in the Malaysia wushu team are Diana Bong, Tai Cheau Xuen, Ng Shin Yii, Chan Lu Yi, Audrey Chan, Aggie Cheah and Chai Fong Wei (women); Ho Mun Hua, Khaw Jun Lim, Loh Choon How, Loh Jack Chang, Wong Weng Son, Yap Zheng Yan, Yeap Wai Kin, Chong Lui Meng and Tan Jia Guan (men).

GeneChing
06-08-2015, 09:14 AM
...there are more, but I'm only posting a few.

SEA Games: Fifth wushu gold for Singapore as Lee Tze Yuan wins in taijiquan (http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/sea-games-fifth-wushu-gold-singapore-lee-tze-yuan-wins-taijiquan)
Published on Jun 8, 2015 4:10 PM

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/imagecache/ST_REVAMP_2014_STORY_PAGE_640X360/20150608/WushuGolden080615e.jpg
Wushu team captain Lee Tze Yuan delivered a rousing performance in the SEA Games men's taijiquan event to clinch Singapore's fifth wushu gold. -- ST PHOTO: TOH TING WEI

By Toh Ting Wei

SINGAPORE - Singapore clinched their fifth wushu gold medal of the SEA Games through team captain Lee Tze Yuan, who delivered a rousing performance in the men's taijiquan event on Monday afternoon.

Lee scored 9.71, pipping Philippines Daniel Parantac (9.70) and Indonesia's Fredy to first place.

Earlier in the afternoon, women's wushu athlete Valerie Wee also won a silver in the women's taijijian event. Wee, who is competing in her last SEA Games, scored 9.71 but lost out to Indonesian Lindswell's 9.73. It was Lindswell's second gold in two days, having also won gold in the taijiquan event yesterday.

While Wee was denied a fairy-tale ending to her SEA Games career, she was far from disappointed. Wee said: "It was the perfect ending, and to have a score so close to the Asian Games silver medallist is a good achievement. She has been very consistent, so there is no surprise in her winning both her events."

Surprise Sea Games wushu gold from women (http://www.nst.com.my/node/87551)
By DEVINDER SINGH - 8 June 2015 @ 10:11 PM
SINGAPORE: An excitable trio of young women delivered a second Sea Games wushu gold medal for Malaysia today by winning the women's duilian barehand event. With only three countries taking part, Malaysia's Audrey Chan, Chan Lu Yi and Aggie Cheah edged Myanmar and Laos to the gold medal after scoring 9.65 points. "We were not expecting to win gold," said Audrey. "We had not trained for this event for very long but we are excited to have won." Their gold medal follows Loh Jack Chang's victory in the men's compulsory taijijian earlier in the day. The wushu exponents ended their campaign with two gold, three silver and four bronze medals.

http://assets.nst.com.my/images/articles/wushu.transformed.jpg
Malaysia's Audrey Chan, Chan Lu Yi and Aggie Cheah win the women's duilian barehand event.

SEA Games: Zoe Mui snares late wushu gold in women's changquan (http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/more-sport-stories/story/sea-games-zoe-mui-snares-late-wushu-gold-womens-changquan-201506)
Published on Jun 7, 2015 10:13 PM

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/imagecache/ST_REVAMP_2014_STORY_PAGE_640X360/20150607/nabmMUIWEI7615e.jpg
Singapore's Zoe Mui clinched the gold in the women's changquan (optional) event held at the Singapore Expo on June 7, 2015. -- ST PHOTO: SEAH KWANG PENG

By Toh Ting Wei

SINGAPORE - Singapore's wushu exponents were made to wait for a medal on the second day of competition at the Singapore Expo Hall 2 on Sunday.

But when Zoe Mui clinched the gold in the women's changquan (optional) event - the second-last competition of the day - at around 9pm, she earned rapturous cheers from the crowd and ensured Singapore will not leave the day empty-handed.

The 17-year-old scored 9.71 to leapfrog to the top of the standings. Her victory was confirmed when Myanmar exponent Sandi Oo - who took to the floor last - failed to overtake her, scoring 9.70 to finish in second place.

Vietnam's Duong Thuy Vi scored 9.69 to clinch bronze.

A delighted Zoe said: "I was really happy with my performance, and I felt as if I performed up to, if not better than, my standards in training.

"It feels refreshing to win a gold, and I am very happy."

In the final competition on Sunday, Yong Yi Xiang delivered an invigorating performance in the men's cudgel event to also score 9.71. He was unlucky to find his opponents also in fine form.

He eventually settled for bronze, with Indonesia's Achmad Hulaefi scoring 9.73 to win gold. Vietnam's Tran Xuan Hiep came in second with 9.72.

Lin Yi Qiang also added a bronze in the men's 65kg sanda event, after falling 0-2 to Myanmar's Kyaw Lin Tun in the semi-finals.

GeneChing
06-16-2015, 08:53 AM
A lot of vids. Official vids. All on www.youtube.com/user/SingaporeSports/videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/SingaporeSports/videos).

Check out the Pencak Silat and Sepak Takraw. There's boxing, gymnastics, ping pong and more... even billiards. Unfortunately the Wushu is way at the bottom.

I'm just cherry-picking Men's Duel Event - Weapon, because it's always one of my favs. If anyone bothers to go through these and finds some good ones, please post them here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcpk0QHACIQ

GeneChing
03-04-2016, 03:36 PM
What is up with those quotes? :confused:

Wally dismayed after sanda exclusion in 29th SEA Games (http://www.sunstar.com.ph/baguio/sports/2016/03/04/wally-dismayed-after-sanda-exclusion-29th-sea-games-460823)

Friday, March 04, 2016

WORLD Wushu gold medallist Divine Wally is hoping the 2017 Southeast Asian Games host country Malaysia will revert back its decision to drop all sanda (combat) events before the international competitions next year.
The 19-year-old Baguio City athlete said the preparations she made to earn a spot in the biennial sports competition will just all went to naught if the plan will push through.
“I feel bad about hearing the news, isa po kasi yan sa mga international competitions na pinag-tratrainan namin at present,” Wally told Sun.Star Baguio.
Earlier this week, the Malaysian organizers announced its intent to remove all the sanda competitions in favor of taolu (form) events in wushu.
“Kung mai-pupush po kasi yung decision eh masasayang lang yung training namin which is almost a year now,” Wally added.
According to the Wushu Federation of the Philippines (WFP), Malaysia favoured to bring in 17 taolu events and scrapped in sanda where Filipinos athletes are good at.
Despite the decision Wally, a University of the Cordilleras student-athlete, said she will continue to train for the 2017 SEA Games.
Meanwhile, the WFP-Cordillera also stands with their mother organization in countering the pronouncement made by the host country.
According to the statement given by Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) sports and rules committee member and WFP official, Jun Camacho, the Filipino organization would rather boycott the 2017 SEA Games and rather enlist in the upcoming Asian Wushu Championships Taoyuan, Chinese Taipei this September.
Camacho on the other hand said the POC and WFP will insist the inclusion of some sanda events, if not all, in next year’s SEA Games on the next SEA Games Federation meeting scheduled in July.
The POC has also asked other neighbouring Southeast Asian sports associations to formalize their request for inclusion of the sport.
Apart from Wally, other local names expected to join the Filipino wushu-sanda line-up is another World Wushu champion Jean Claude Saclag, who missed the 28th edition of the SEA Games after acquiring a shoulder injury.
During the 2015 SEA Games held in Singapore, Baguio’s wushu-taolu specialist Daniel Parantac led the medal haul from the event with one gold (taijijian) and two silvers (taijiquan and double weapons contest), as the Philippines completed a 1-4-1 medal tally to contribute with the Philippines 29-36-66 record. (MVP)

Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on March 05, 2016.

GeneChing
08-29-2017, 09:31 AM
There's actually about a two dozen SEA Games stories on my newsfeed. I just grabbed this one for the annual ttt. Honestly, I would've spaced it out if not for searching for more info on the Universaide (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69746-2017-Summer-Universiade-August-19-30-Taipei-Taiwan).

Get to know PH wushu's golden girl (http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/08/23/17/get-to-know-ph-wushus-golden-girl)
Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Aug 23 2017 12:10 PM

http://sa.kapamilya.com/absnews/abscbnnews/media/2017/news/08/23/082317_wushu.jpg
Agatha Wong has won two medals at the SEA Games. Photo from Philippine Sports Commission

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – As she performed in the taijiquan event in the final day of the wushu competition at the 2017 Southeast Asian Games, Agatha Wong showed no signs of nerves.
Instead, she was assured and graceful, twirling and landing almost perfectly, keeping her balance as she went through her form in front of an appreciative audience at Hall 5 of the Kuala Lumpur Convention Center on Tuesday afternoon.
It was only when her score was flashed on the big screen that Wong's emotions betrayed her.
The 19-year-old student from De La Salle-College of St. Benilde got a 9.66 in the event, putting her in first place with two more competitors to go.
The Burmese athlete who performed after her was also impressive, but managed only a 9.54, and the Lao, who wrapped up the event, failed to medal.
"I got really emotional noong na-flash ang score," Wong told ABS-CBN News after it was confirmed that she won gold for taijiquan. "I almost cried, but I didn't."
It was already the second medal of the SEA Games for Wong, who on Monday settled for silver in the taijijian. She had performed first then, garnering a score of 9.65, and held on to the top spot until the final performer from Indonesia scored a 9.68.
This time around, however, there was no beating Wong even as she said that she treated her triumphant performance as "like every other day in training."
"It's nothing special naman, my routine," she explained. "I've had better forms. But I'd say that today, at least I did my best, and I got the best results."
Growing up, wushu was not Wong's lone sport. Her grandmother enrolled her in a variety of athletic pursuits. She even tried ballet but gave it up – "I'm not that girly," she explained – and focused on both swimming and wushu.
"'Yung wushu, I loved it," she says. "Pero on and off siya. Nagko-compete sila ng interest ko, with swimming and wushu."
Her love for wushu prevailed, however, and Wong focused her attention on the sport that brought her to the top of the podium in the Kuala Lumpur games.
For Wong, wushu is a way of boosting her confidence. She admits that she is not a naturally out-going person, and so stepping onto the carpet to perform in front of an audience and a panel of judges is an act of bravery for her every single time.
"I'm very shy," she said. "So for me to compete in this sport, which requires a lot of guts… it's actually the best sport to ramp up your confidence."
"So kapag nagko-compete ako, tinatapangan ko na lang ang mukha ko," she said. "And I think that helps me a lot for my mentality."
She pays no mind to the other performers, Wong insists, even as she sees them practicing their forms behind the curtains. And once she is done with her performance, it's done – and she will never have any regrets.
"I know I did my best," she stressed. "I know na hindi ko iisipin na, 'I could have done better,' because I always train, every day."
"I think whenever I step in the carpet, I always do my best, and nakikita naman ng audience 'yun sa ginagawa ko," she added.

GeneChing
08-29-2017, 09:42 AM
Tuesday, 22 August 2017
Pretty Lindswell continues domination in taijiquan (http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/other-sport/2017/08/22/pretty-lindswell-continues-domination-in-taijiquan/)

http://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/online/2017/08/21/19/42/kwok_2208_azmah_1.ashx/?w=620&h=413&crop=1&hash=4BC4A40AE2933182975BF0749E6DA8D533D309CD
Don’t mess with this girl: Indonesia’s wushu exponent Lindswell Kwok posing with her gold in the women’s taijiquan.

INDONESIA’S Lindswell Kwok is not just a pretty face. She’s also one of the best in wushu.

Lindswell’s elegant routine was a class above her competitors’ as she claimed gold in the women’s taijiquan with 9.68 points at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre (KLCC) yesterday.

Agatha Wong of the Philippines took the silver with 9.65 and Malaysian Audrey Chan Yee Jo the bronze with 9.64.

This is Lindswell’s fourth straight SEA Games gold since Jakarta 2011.

The 25-year-old exponent, who is from Medan, surprisingly revealed that she did not enjoy practising wushu at first.

She was only nine when older brother Iwan helped her pick up changquan – a fast and forceful form of wushu.

“My coach Supandi Kusuma said I was too soft. I was only a kid then and I did not like wushu because there was so much discipline involved.

“But I switched to taiji, a slower form of wushu, and I began to enjoy it more. I began to observe and learn from my seniors as I got older.

“This win is all the more sweeter for me as I’m coming back from a knee injury,” said Lindswell, who has won the world title three times in a row.

Her eyes lit up at the mention of the Asian Games next year. That’s because Indonesia will be hosting the Asiad and Lindswell can’t wait to perform in front of her home fans.

“That’s my next ambition. I won a silver at the last Asian Games in South Korea three years ago. I hope to get the gold this time,” she said.

Indonesia enjoyed a good day yesterday when they bagged another wushu gold.

Felda Elvira Santoso and Monica Pransisca Sugianto gave Indonesia a one-two finish in the women’s daoshu (broadsword), scoring 9.67 and 9.66.

SEA Games: Teen exponent Jowen Lim strikes wushu gold again for Singapore (http://www.todayonline.com/sports/sea-games-jowen-lim-mens-optional-changquan)

http://www.todayonline.com/sites/default/files/styles/photo_gallery_image/public/photos/43_images/img_8347.jpg?itok=25D2QhMA
Jowen Lim's victory in the optional changquan added to his gold in the optional daoshu and gunshu on Monday, which was his first ever individual Games triumph . Photo: Jason Quah/TODAY

The 18-year-old won both his and the Republic’s second gold in Kuala Lumpur with his crisp routine

BY TEO TENG KIAT IN KUALA LUMPUR
PUBLISHED: 4:30 PM, AUGUST 22, 2017 UPDATED: 7:38 PM, AUGUST 22, 2017

KUALA LUMPUR — Jowen Lim does not fixate on winning medals every time he heads into a competition, preferring instead to simply focus on giving his best.

That attitude has paid off handsomely for the wushu exponent at the 29th SEA Games, after he clinched his second gold medal of the competition on Tuesday afternoon (Aug 22) at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre.

A confident display in the men’s optional changquan saw the 18-year-old recording a score of 9.68, which, in turn, enabled him to edge Vietnam's Tran Xuan Hiep by 0.01 to take gold.

Indonesia’s Edgar Xavier Marvelo recorded 9.66 to finish third

The sixth of 13 competitors to perform, Lim wowed the judges with his crisp routine. Even then, he revealed that he was surprised to emerge top in the end.

https://www.facebook.com/TODAYsports/videos/1616354745095093/

“For today, I'm really happy and speechless as to how I was able to win the gold,” he told TODAY. “I want to thank my federation for all their support and belief in me, and my family who came down to watch my performance.”

The victory added to his gold in the optional daoshu and gunshu on Monday, which was his first ever individual Games triumph and one he described as “extra, extra special”. Lim had won the gold in the duel weapons in 2015 on his Games debut.

But medals are secondary for the former two-time world youth champion and Asian youth champion who picked up the sport at five and made the national team at 11.

“My parents are both sportsmen and they wanted me to join a sport before I had to join a CCA (co-curricular activity)in Primary 3,” he recalled.

“We saw a live wushu performance on television and it was quite cool and quite special, so we just went to try…

“Every time I go for a competition, it's just mainly (about) showing how Singapore has strong wushu talents coming up.

“Wushu is a performing art so to me, it's just about performing my best to show everybody. It's not all about getting a medal to me.”

Lim currently trains from Monday to Saturday, juggling school during the week with his nightly sessions that run from 7.30 to 10pm.

It is a routine he has gotten used to and the Year 2 student at Republic Polytechnic is now targeting qualification for next year’s Asian Games in Indonesia, which he described as the “biggest competition” for wushu as it is not an Olympic sport.

With the wushu competition coming to an end today, it also means Lim has accounted for all of Singapore’s golds in the sport.

The Republic’s six other wushu medals - one silver and five bronzes - came through Samuel Tan (silver, men’s compulsory 3rd taijiquan), Ho Lin Ying (bronze, women’s compulsory 3rd taijiquan), Fung Jin Jie (bronze, men’s optional jianshu), Fung Hui Xin (bronze, women’s optional jianshu), Zoe Mui (bronze, women’s optional daoshu) and Chan Jun Kai (bronze, men’s optional taijijian).

SEA Games (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49262-The-SEA-Games) & Wushu style Tai Chi (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65620-WuShu-style-tai-chi&p=1304606#post1304606)

GeneChing
09-07-2017, 12:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xdGw8PiODs

A Philippine report. I'd love to see some Silat competition vids...

slink
12-25-2018, 10:27 AM
I hope during this SEA HQ from LOL will take any actions and discussions regarding dynamic queues. It was discussed previously https://lolepicshop.com/why-dynamic-queue-sucks, but nothing has changed from previous time. Am I the only guy who has this issue, even with a stable ping and internet connection ?

GeneChing
07-16-2019, 08:23 AM
Ouch. This a major blow to the sport of Wushu. I've been wondering if this sort of exclusion from the international multi-sport games might be coming soon...

Wushu exponents disarmed – no thanks to SEA Games organisers (https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/other-sport/2019/07/12/wushu-exponents-disarmed--no-thanks-to-sea-games-organisers/)
OTHER SPORTS
Friday, 12 Jul 2019
by lim teik huat

https://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/online/2019/07/11/18/04/164736.ashx/?w=620&h=413&crop=1&hash=D77FE3088BE137479B55550FE34416C15EE7CDD2
What a waste: World champion Wong Weng Son’s main events – the jiangshu and qiangshi are left out of the SEA Games.

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian wushu team can’t help but feel like they have been sucker punched heading into the Philippines SEA Games in December.

The Philippines organisers have shockingly done away with seven out of the nine events in the women’s taolu (barehands and weapons) discipline contested at the last SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur two years ago.

Only the taijijian and taijiquan events have been retained, which is not surprising as the hosts have a gold medal prospect in Agatha Wong – a bronze medallist in the combined taiji events at the Indonesia Asian Games last year.

There are not many changes in the men’s taolu discipline with seven events contested compared to eight in KL.

The team of five were finalised after the selection trial in Bukit Jalil yesterday and MWF president Datuk Chong Kim Fatt said they would be happy with one gold.

Malaysia were the overall champions with six golds, five silvers and three bronzes when they hosted the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur two years ago.

“We’ve a few world championships medallists but they are not going as their events are not in the SEA Games.

“We have world champion Weng Son but his main events – jiangshu and qiangshu – are also left out.

“This is the smallest squad that we are sending for the SEA Games,” he said, adding that Malaysia did send an appeal through the Olympic Council of Malaysia to the SEA Games organisers but nothing came out of it.

“I’m worried over the impact on the growth of the sport in this region. It’s just not good for the long-term development when the basic disciplines are left out,” he added.

At the last SEA Games, Wai Kin and Weng Son chalked a 1-2 finish respectively in the men’s jianshu and qiangshu events.

Ho Mun Hua and Diana Bong contributed the remaining gold medals from the men’s and women’s nanquan events respectively but both have since quit the national team.

Malaysia are certainly hoping history will not repeat itself when they returned home from the Philippines Games in 2005 without even one gold medal.

Then, Philippines emerged as overall champions, winning 12 out of the 22 events at stake while Malaysia settled for two silvers and three bronze medals.

GeneChing
11-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Only Malaysia cares... :rolleyes:

SEA Games: Lone female wushu player carries flag for Malaysia (https://sports.inquirer.net/373126/sea-games-lone-female-wushu-player-carries-flag-for-malaysia?fbclid=IwAR1Xc3H6uOPTy6PyFuMTJqxOt_b8BBDd uo2jZ1N2rhWQp5yjxMg56ZBCvmw)
The Star/Asia News Network / 07:51 PM November 12, 2019

https://sports.inquirer.net/files/2019/11/malaysia-flag-bearer.jpg
Determination: Sydney Chin, the only woman in the Malaysian wushu team to the Philippines SEA Games has set her eyes on a golden debut. Azman Ghani / The Star

MANILA, Philippines–She is the only rose among the thorns but Malaysia’s Sydney Chin can count on calming advice from her more illustrious seniors back home as she goes hunting for medal at the Philippines SEA Games.

The 20-year-old from Malacca is the only woman in the small five-person Malaysian wushu team for the Games.

Malaysia had no choice but to send such a small representation as the hosts have scrapped seven out of the nine events contested in the women’s competition at the last Games in Kuala Lumpur two years ago.

Only two events for women – taijijuan and taijijian (taiji sword) – will be contested in Manila. Sydney, the 2016 World Taijiquan Championships double gold medallist, will fly the flag for Malaysia.

Malaysia cannot count on the services of Tan Cheong Min and Phoon Eyin, who have won world titles in nanquan (long fists) and jiangshu (sword) respectively.

The other four male exponents going are Wong Weng Son, Yeap Wai Kin, Chuah Shangyang and Loh Choon How.

“I am a bit scared but excited at the same time… being the only woman exponent and going for my first SEA Games.

“But my teammates who have much more experience than me with the national team have given me good advice. They have asked me not to worry and I can reach out to them at the same time. A lot of factors will be outside our control and they just told me to focus on my performance and not to pressure myself.

“I will try my best to get a medal. I feel the chance is there although it’s going to be very tough as the standards of wushu in South-East Asia are high.

“The Philippines also have a good taiji exponent (in 2018 Asian Games bronze medalist Agatha Wong) and she will be the favorite as they have the home-ground advantage, ” said Sydney, who previously trained in changquan before switching to the taiji discipline six years ago.

At the KL SEA Games, Malaysia returned with their best-ever outing of six golds, five silvers and three bronzes under coach Lim Yew Fai.

Yew Fai and former Asian Games gold medallist Mao Yaqi of China are the coaches for the SEA Games.

Despite the extra coaching force, Malaysia can obviously not repeat the golden outing.

They will, in fact, do well to keep in mind what happened in 2005 when the Philippines last hosted the SEA Games. Malaysia did not win a single gold medal and came home with two silvers and three bronzes.

GeneChing
12-03-2019, 11:34 AM
#SEAGames2019: Pinoy arnis champ in 40s didn’t let age get in way of gold (https://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/12/02/19/seagames2019-pinoy-arnis-champ-in-40s-didnt-let-age-get-in-way-of-gold?fbclid=IwAR0ucbXpKUrVVoeWG2seyqbVmMskZB_9EAFf zKKYrclw-1mEuthFYAhi-4A)
Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Dec 02 2019 08:49 PM | Updated as of Dec 03 2019 01:17 AM

https://sa.kapamilya.com/absnews/abscbnnews/media/2019/sports/12/02/20190820-arnis-pg-team-practice-gc-7626.jpg?ext=.jpg
Villardo Cunamay used to practice karate before transferring to the indigenous Filipino martial arts. George Calvelo, ABS-CBN News/file

ANGELES CITY—Most fighter athletes slow down when they are in their 40s, but not Villardo Cunamay.

The Philippine Army technical sergeant proved that even at 46, he still can be effective in arnis.

On Sunday, he again defied his age whipping his way to a gold medal win over Mengly Yong of Cambodia in the live stick lightweight division final at Angeles University Foundation.

The victory was special for Cunamay, who had to engage his younger and taller opponent in a tactical fight.

Dennis Gasgonia
@dggasgo
Villardo Cunamay is 46 years old, yet he outsmarted a younger and taller arnisador on Sunday to win a gold in men's arnis. Nice one, Villardo!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKsL1R6UEAIqHt7?format=jpg&name=small
1:13 AM - Dec 1, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Dennis Gasgonia's other Tweets
“Tiyaga lang sa training ’yan, basta may determination ka. Mga bata pa ang kasabayan ko sa training hindi ako gumigive up. Dahil may goal ako na gusto kong patunayan na kahit matanda kaya ko pa ring makipagsabayan,” he said.

Cunamay actually started late in the sport. He was already 35 when he picked up arnis after being transferred to the Army’s Special Service Center.

“Una kong naging sport karate talaga,” he confessed. “Nu’ng umpisa mahirap hindi kabisado ang moves pero pinagaralan ko kasi ito na ang pambansang sport ng Pilipinas. Na-adopt ko rin later on kasi may background na ko sa karate.”

Like most martial artists, he had to go through the painful process of getting his before reaching a certain level of expertise.

Cunamay added that conditioning is also very important especially in competition.

“Tatamaan at tatamaan ka talaga kasi kahit naka armor ka. Kung malakas ang hit ng kalaban mo lalo pag tumama sa may elbow masakit. At sa full contact, ubusan ng hangin, palakasan ng hangin patagalan ng resistensya,” he said.

He is now a second dan blackbelter.

Cunamay became exceptional in arnis that he won gold medals in competitions sanctioned by Philippine Eskrima Kali Arnis Federation (PEKAF) and World Eskrima Kali Arnis Federation (WEKAF).

You can now add the gold medal he won in the SEA Games.

“Nu’ng bata bata ako hindi ko naisip na mararating ko ito. Kung kelan ako tumanda saka ako nakarating,” he said.

THREADS
The SEA Games (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49262-The-SEA-Games)
Kali/Arnis/Escrima characteristics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37618-Kali-Arnis-Escrima-characteristics)

GeneChing
12-03-2019, 11:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-N7cLMCWdc

THREADS
The SEA Games (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49262-The-SEA-Games)
Kali/Arnis/Escrima characteristics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?37618-Kali-Arnis-Escrima-characteristics)

GeneChing
12-05-2019, 09:02 AM
It's actually an achievement given the nature of sport.

3 minute read
No wushu judging complaints this time (https://www.nst.com.my/sports/others/2019/12/544650/no-wushu-judging-complaints-time)

https://assets.nst.com.my/images/articles/03ns54loh_1575434241.jpg
Loh Choon How. NSTP/OSMAN ADNAN

By NST Sports - December 4, 2019 @ 12:37pm
WHILE wushu was marred by judging controversies in previous editions of the Sea Games, it was not the case in Manila.

Malaysian exponents gave the thumbs-up to the judges and the organisers for their professionalism as they finished their Sea Games campaign with two gold through Loh Choon How in taijiquan and taijijian and one silver from Wong Weng Son in changquan.

The Malaysian Wushu Federation (MWF) had earlier feared that there would be biased judging due to past incidents.

In 2005 in Manila, the national exponents, led by former world champion Ho Ro Bin, were victims of biased judging, losing in the final to Filipino exponents.

National coach Lim Yew Fai, who was part of the 2005 team, said the judges were fair in awarding points to the exponents this time.

‘Everyone here is happy. However, I did remind our exponents not to make mistakes on the carpet and give a reason for the judges to deduct points.

Malaysia finished third overall behind champions Indonesia (2-2-1) and the Philippines (2-1-2) in the Sea Games.

There's actually been a fair amount of coverage of the SEA Games this year in English. I've only posted a few of the articles I've seen. Most of the rest detail specific SEA champs.

GeneChing
12-09-2019, 09:41 AM
Filipino gold medalist bows to Taekwondo master (https://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/multimedia/photo/12/07/19/filipino-gold-medalist-bows-to-taekwondo-master?fbclid=IwAR21QomuBWPSaGTybReCS6nyix_tHKgyCr W-tv1tr5FNpnJnMSJihEIKbR4)
George Calvelo, ABS-CBN News
Posted at Dec 07 2019 03:30 PM | Updated as of Dec 07 2019 04:27 PM

https://sa.kapamilya.com/absnews/abscbnnews/media/2019/sports/12/07/20191207_seagames-taekwondo-gc-br0i9417.jpg
Rodolfo Reyes Jr. of the Philippines bows to Grandmaster Sung-Chon Hong, considered the father of Philippine Taekwondo, during the SEA Games Taekwondo competition at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium on Saturday. Reyes won gold in the 2019 SEA Games Taekwondo Men's Individual Poomsae.
This photo went viral.

THREADS
SEA Games (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49262-The-SEA-Games)
Tae Kwon Do (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?42906-Tae-Kwon-Do)

GeneChing
12-09-2019, 09:45 AM
There's been a lot of coverage in English this year, more so than ever. I'm only cherry-picking a few choice articles. Maybe I just haven't been looking at the right sources in previous years...

Wushu superstar Agatha Wong declares she's Filipino 'by blood and by heart' (https://www.spin.ph/life/guide/agatha-wong-i-am-a-filipina-a547-20191207?fbclid=IwAR2HzVUucF5fvlvgblTtIEefoG3IMnUy idj-vJYdXeLf95ca1OFZTWdYO6U)
by JOHN PAULO AGUILERA
2 DAYS AGO

https://contents.spin.ph/image/resize/image/2019/12/07/seag-agatha-wong-1575717395.webp
PHOTO: FREDDIE DIONISIO

On Saturday, Philippine wushu's golden girl Agatha Wong took to Twitter to set the record straight.

Agatha Wong
@AgathaWongy
My last name’s Chinese & yet I am a Filipina; more than anything. I was born in the Philippines, grew up in the ph & represent the Philippines wherever I go. Mahal ko ang bayan ko.
So don’t tell me I’m Chinese kaya ako nanalo. Nanalo ako dahil Pilipino ako, at lalaban ako.

6:18 PM - Dec 6, 2019
6,811 people are talking about this
In an interview with SPIN Life, the national athlete revealed that she made the post about Filipino pride — which has already garnered 2.6k retweets and 25k likes as of writing — after some people argued it was "only natural" for a Chinese to win in the wushu competitions of the 30th Southeast Asian Games.

Agatha kicked off the country's gold rush by bagging a pair of medals in the women's taijiquan and taolu taijijian events.

She continued, "What they don't know is that I have sacrificed a lot to stay in this sport. Just because my last name is Chinese, it doesn't mean that I would have (automatically) won the games. If my last name was Fernandez (middle name), it would make no difference. I would still give my best to compete against my opponents."

Turns out, more netizens were supportive of Agatha, and that they can understand and relate to the racial discrimination she's facing.

Agatha Wong
@AgathaWongy
· Dec 6, 2019
My last name’s Chinese & yet I am a Filipina; more than anything. I was born in the Philippines, grew up in the ph & represent the Philippines wherever I go. Mahal ko ang bayan ko.
So don’t tell me I’m Chinese kaya ako nanalo. Nanalo ako dahil Pilipino ako, at lalaban ako.

jlum14
@jlum14
Ignore niyo po mga bashers online. Keep up the good work and thank you very much for representing our country.

6:23 PM - Dec 6, 2019
See jlum14's other Tweets

Agatha Wong
@AgathaWongy
· Dec 6, 2019

Bun Xie
@bunx13
I feel you Agatha..wag pansinin mga ungas na yan!!! Apir tayong mga Chinese ang last name pero Pinoy na Pinoy ang puso!! 🇵🇭🇵🇭🇵🇭 para sa BAYAN!!!!

7:14 PM - Dec 6, 2019
See Bun Xie's other Tweets

GeneChing
12-11-2019, 09:10 AM
What a grand showcase for Filipino martial arts. This year's Games were eye-opening, what the Beijing Olympics (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?39275-2008-Beijing-Olympics) should've been for Wushu...

Arnis, Philippines Martial Art That Evokes Magellan's Nemesis (https://www.ibtimes.com/arnis-philippines-martial-art-evokes-magellans-nemesis-2880997)
By James EDGAR
12/06/19 AT 11:03 PM

To the untrained eye, arnis -- the stick-wielding martial art of the Philippines -- is brutal and frenzied, but behind the chaos lies a tradition dating back hundreds of years.

https://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/embed-md/public/2019/12/06/filipino-arnisadors-are-fiercely-proud-of-their-country.jpg
Filipino 'arnisadors' are fiercely proud of their country, and the sport that symbolises their spirit of battle and revolution Photo: AFP / WAKIL KOHSAR

With some contests lasting just a few minutes, the fast and furious combat sport made a triumphant return to the Southeast Asian Games this week, boosting the home nation's haul of golds by 14.

Filipino 'arnisadors' are fiercely proud of their country, and the sport that symbolises their spirit of battle and revolution.

https://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/embed-md/public/2019/12/06/arnis-was-last-contested-at-the-sea-games.jpg
Arnis was last contested at the SEA Games in 2005, when the Philippines last hosted the event -- and last finished top of the medals table Photo: AFP / PORNCHAI KITTIWONGSAKUL

It holds a treasured place in Filipino hearts as it evokes 16th-century tribal ruler Lapu-Lapu, whose army killed Ferdinand Magellan, the lead explorer in the first successful circumnavigation of the globe, and saw off the Spanish invaders, delaying their colonisation by several decades.

"We consider this the martial art of Lapu-Lapu," Senator Miguel Zubiri, the Philippines Arnis Federation president, told AFP.

https://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/embed-md/public/2019/12/06/at-this-years-sea-games-men-and-women.jpg
At this year's SEA Games men and women from just four nations -- the Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam -- fought in bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight and welterweight arnis competitions Photo: AFP / WAKIL KOHSAR

"Lapu-Lapu was our first defender," the former world champion added at the Angeles University Foundation, about 80 kilometres northwest of the capital Manila.

"We consider him our first national hero. He is actually in our logo, and we consider him as our founding father."

https://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/embed-md/public/2019/12/06/the-philippines-martial-art-of-arnis-evokes-16th.jpg
The Philippines martial art of arnis evokes 16th-century tribal ruler Lapu-Lapu, whose army saw off the Spanish invaders, delaying their colonisation by several decades Photo: AFP / WAKIL KOHSAR

The 'full combat' version of arnis is rapid and unforgiving, and the weapons are considered as extensions of the body.

"It's a style of fighting where you utilise knives and sticks," Zubiri explained, adding that the Spanish banned bladed weapons during their occupation, so Filipinos instead trained with sticks.

https://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/embed-md/public/2019/12/06/the-philippines-martial-art-of-arnis-evokes-16th-AFP_1MU6DN-5.jpg
The Philippines martial art of arnis evokes 16th-century tribal ruler Lapu-Lapu, whose army saw off the Spanish invaders, delaying their colonisation by several decades Photo: AFP / WAKIL KOHSAR

Players in body armour and grilled helmets bow to one another in the middle of the fighting square before attempting to strike their opponent's body with a baton made of ratan.

https://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/embed-md/public/2019/12/06/arnis-has-made-a-triumphant-return-to-the.jpg
Arnis has made a triumphant return to the Southeast Asian Games Photo: AFP / WAKIL KOHSAR

At the SEA Games men and women from just four nations -- the Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam -- fought in bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight and welterweight.

They also performed solo choreographed routines with weapons, known as anyo, for which competitors wore traditional costumes.

Crisamuel Delfin won a gold medal for his 'open weapon' anyo routine, during which he wielded a sword and performed somersaults and flips.

His feathered headdress is a sign of ferocity and painted tattoos show a warrior's accomplishments and place in society, he explained, while the pattern on his "wanno" loincloth indicates where he is from -- the mountainous region of Ifugao.

"Being from the tribes of the northern provinces, it was very important that I was able to show my traditional costume and to revive and rekindle the spirit of being a warrior in the Philippines," he said through a translator.

"I was glad I was to bring out not just the movements, but the emotion and the feeling of being fierce and committed -- the spirit of being a martial artist," he said.

Abegail Abad, from Baguio City in Luzon, won the women's welterweight, padded stick competition.

"For me it is important to look back for the traditional because it is what binds us together," she said. "And if this binds us together we can also be what we want to be in the future."

Arnis was last contested at the SEA Games in 2005, when the Philippines last hosted the event -- and last finished top of the medals table.

They are on course to repeat the feat, as the SEA Games has a flexible programme which allows plenty of flexibility in the hosts' favour.

THREADS

GeneChing
02-27-2023, 09:36 AM
February 24, 2023
SEA Games to open with Bokator and Shaolin Kung Fu (https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501244683/sea-games-to-open-with-bokator-and-shaolin-kung-fu/)
Taing Rinith / Khmer Times

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/54485.jpg
A demonstration of Kung Fu in a temple. Xinhua

A twin display of Asian martial arts – Cambodian Bokator and Chinese Shaolin Kung Fu – will take centre stage at the opening of the 2023 SEA Games which will be hosted by Cambodia in Phnom Penh in May.

The plan for the special performance was jointly announced by Minister Thoung Khon and visiting Vice Governor of China’s Hainan Province, Shen Danyang, in Phnom Penh.

Khon explained that Bokator was recognised last year by UNESECO as an Intangible World Heritage, and the great tradition makes an ideal highlight for the official opening ceremony of SEA Games 2023.

Ever since pre-Angkorian times, Bokator was a fighting technique employed on the battlefield by whole armies at once. Bokator fighting is characterized by hand-to-hand combat along and with use of weapons.

At the meeting, Kohn requested that China send its Shaolin Kun Fu martial artists to perform at the event. He hopes to see four or five fights between Shaolin Kung Fu and Khmer martial arts practitioners.

Shaolin Kung Fu was developed over 1,500 years ago at the Shaolin Temple in Henan province. Traditionally, fighters of Shaolin style Kung Fu remain unarmed.

Other forms use the spear and the staff, for which the original monks of Shaolin temple became especially famous.

In Shaolin Kung Fu, movements are rapid, quick, and forceful. Kung Fu was popularised thanks to numerous Hong Kong movies over the years.

Master SAN Kimsean, a Bakator Master and owner of the Cambodia Bokator Academy, also supports the proposed plan to feature fighting displays.

He felt that the idea is a great opportunity for the two ancient martial art forms to show off their history to the world.

“It’s a rare opportunity for our Bokator practitioners to gain experience from well-known Kung Fu masters from China,” he said.

“However, I recommend both sides work closely with one another on the performances to make sure we show everyone a balanced performance, one without errors or fouls.”

Vath Chomroen, CAMSOC General Secretary, said yesterday that Cambodia is expected to spend 136 million dollars hosting SEA Games 2023.

Good to see these games come back.

GeneChing
06-07-2023, 10:32 AM
Despite med school demands, Agatha Wong claims 5th SEA Games gold in wushu (https://www.rappler.com/sports/southeast-asian-games/results-wushu-women-taijiquan-taijijian-agatha-wong-may-12-2023/)
MAY 12, 2023 2:38 PM PHT
DELFIN DIOQUINO

https://www.rappler.com/tachyon/2023/05/agatha-wong-sea-games-may-12-2023.jpeg?resize=1200%2C716&zoom=1https://www.rappler.com/tachyon/2023/05/agatha-wong-sea-games-may-12-2023.jpeg?resize=1200%2C716&zoom=1
Agatha Wong admits she did not expect much from herself in the 2023 SEA Games as she juggles wushu and med school

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia – The arduous balancing act between med school and wushu did not hinder Agatha Wong from clinching a fifth gold medal in the Southeast Asian Games.

Wong bagged a gold for the fourth straight edition of the regional showpiece, including two in 2019, after topping the women’s taijiquan + taijijian event at the Chroy Changvar Convention Center here on Friday, May 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ5V7Lxo8tg
She earned a total of 19.263 points in the combined event which merged taiquan and taijijian into one, besting Malaysia’s Sydney Chin (19.196) and Brunei’s Basma Lachkar (19.160).

While she was tipped as a heavy favorite in the event after clinching the taijijian gold and the taijiquan silver in Vietnam last year, Wong admitted she did not expect much from herself as she juggles wushu and med school.

“I’ve been training hard but all I could think of are my backlogs in school,” said Wong, who is now in her first year at the University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center.

“Everyone was expecting that I would win but I can’t even expect myself to win so it was really hard to manage mentally.”

Wong scored 9.580 points in the taijiquan segment to place third behind Chin (9.640) and Lachkar (9.610), but pulled her score up after garnering 9.683 points in the taijijian, an event she ruled in the past two SEA Games.

Chin posted 9.556 in the taijijian to settle for silver, while Lachkar recorded 9.550 for bronze.

‘I really like this sport’
Wong said it has been a major adjustment since she started med school, four years after graduating with a Diplomatic Affairs degree from the College of St. Benilde in 2018.

“I train twice a day then I still have class. I study at night. We train from Monday to Saturday. Sunday is the only day for rest. But I allot my Sundays for backlogs in school,” she said.

Coming from a family of lawyers and doctors, Wong decided to pursue med school of her own volition since she saw similarities between the medical profession and wushu.

“My personality is not for law. Since I’m already in sports, I thought to myself why don’t I connect the two so I went to med.”

Wong, who is also an Asian Games taijiquan bronze medalist, said her passion for the sport made it work despite the challenging demands of med school.

“If you want it, you can find a way. It’s hard, but I can do it because I really like this sport.”

Philippine wushu also secured a bronze courtesy of Sandrex Gainsan in the men’s jianshu + qiangshu. – Rappler.com
So impressive.

GeneChing
08-21-2023, 09:26 AM
What is wushu? Chinese martial arts contested as South-East Asian Games sport (https://olympics.com/en/news/what-is-wushu-chinese-martial-arts-south-east-asian-games-sport)

The sport, which is featuring at the 32nd SEA Games in Cambodia, features various forms of Chinese martial arts including taijiquan (tai chi). Find out what is wushu here.
3 min
By ZK Goh
Updated on 27 June 2023 10:12 GMT-7
https://img.olympicchannel.com/images/image/private/t_s_w1340/t_s_16_9_g_auto/f_auto/primary/zuiphemj9y6twkj1z5y1
(2019 Getty Images)

Did you know tai chi (taijiquan) is being contested as a sport at the South-East Asian Games (SEA Games) 2023 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia?

Specifically, it is one of the events under the umbrella sport of wushu, a collection of Chinese martial arts. Wushu is also sometimes called kung fu, and both are names generally referring to the Chinese martial arts.

Indeed, there are 22 different wushu events being held in Phnom Penh, ranging from artistic displays to fighting-style bouts.

But what is wushu? What does “wushu” mean? What type of sport is wushu? What is the history of wushu? Read on to find out.

https://img.olympicchannel.com/images/image/private/t_s_w860/t_s_16_9_g_auto/f_auto/primary/uvk2epauuq1tldxg246r
A wushu sanda (combat) bout in the men's 56kg category during the 2019 SEA Games in Manila
(2019 Getty Images)

History and styles of wushu

Wushu, written 武术 in Chinese, literally means “martial technique”.

It has a history dating back thousands of years to the Qin Dynasty, while the International Wushu Federation was formed in 1990 to govern the many distinct types of martial art under the “wushu” banner.

In the modern day, there are two main disciplines of wushu: taolu, or choreographed routines, and sanda, full-contact combat.

Taolu is further split into categories based on different stances, movements, routines, and even weapons – including the bare-handed taijiquan and taijijian, which is tai chi with a Chinese straight sword.

Meanwhile, sanda features combat using wushu and kung fu techniques, and is split into weight categories similar to other Asian martial arts such as judo and taekwondo, effectively making it the fighting form of wushu.

The first World Championships were held in Beijing in 1991 and held every two years since; it first appeared on the Asian Games programme the year prior and has been contested at every Asian Games since.

It was first added to the SEA Games in 1991, and aside from exclusions in 1995 and 1999 has not been left off the programme since.

https://img.olympicchannel.com/images/image/private/t_s_w860/t_s_16_9_g_auto/f_auto/primary/h3feou720uxokxtwmn2e
An athlete performs a wushu taolu changquan routine during the 2015 SEA Games in Singapore
(2015 Getty Images)

Wushu sports events at 2023 SEA Games and equipment

There are 22 events taking place in Phnom Penh: 14 in taolu and eight in sanda.

The eight sanda events are split into three women’s weight categories and five men’s weight categories, while the taolu events are:

Men’s and women’s changquan
Men's and women's duilian (dual event, featuring teams instead of individuals)
Men's and women's nanquan
Men’s and women’s daoshu + gunshu
Men's and women's jianshu + qiangshu
Men's and women's taijiquan + taijijian
Men's and women's nandao + nangun

The changquan, nanquan, and taijiquan events are bare-handed, while the others all use weapons.

The daoshu uses a broadsword, nandao uses a Southern Chinese variation of the broadsword, gunshu and nangun use a staff, the taijijian and jianshu are performed with a straight sword, and qiangshu with a spear.

Taolu events are judged with a difficulty and execution score, while sanda is direct head-to-head combat.

https://img.olympicchannel.com/images/image/private/t_s_w860/t_s_16_9_g_auto/f_auto/primary/nbkfytbifxgkuznzaanf
Turkey's Elif Akyuz performs a wushu taolu jianshu routine using a Chinese straight sword at the 2013 Islamic Solidarity Games

Onward to Cambodia...