PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions anyone?

Egg fu young
12-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm looking for a MA that I can practice long into old age. I have my Brown belt in Judo and have boxed as an Ametuer. I love both sports but injuries are stopping my training. I'm almost 40 and would like to find an art that is still defense practical and I could dedicate too for the rest of my life. I'm waiting on a wing chun 1st form DVD (that a friend suggested) I ordered it after realizing the shaolin 7 star praying mantis DVD I thought I'd learn wasnt going to happen. Dude was flying all over in it. I havent seen much wing chun but what I have seen seems more practical. Any other suggestions. Please keep in mind

1. I'm old
2. I'm 6'2"@170lbs
3. I'm not much of a kicker
4. No schools in area ( I live on the moon)

Thank's

AmanuJRY
12-07-2007, 06:37 PM
sounds like Wing Chun is what you're looking for...your boxing and judo background should help keep it practical...:cool:

Kemo Martin
12-08-2007, 06:09 AM
yiquan (http://www.yiquan.com/v3/en/index.htm)

:D:D:D:D:D

Oso
12-08-2007, 11:27 AM
do you have a back injury?

imo, judo or jujitsu of any variety could be practiced into old age. not at a competative level maybe but well enough to still be usable for self defense if needed.

Seppukku
12-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd try Parkour. I think you'll find that it'll come in handy. It'll get you into the shape you were in when you were younger, and it'll teach you how to roll and flip out of nasty falls that might threaten to break your hip when you get older.

Royal Dragon
12-09-2007, 09:52 AM
How is it that TAI CHI was not the first answer to this question? :cool:

The Xia
12-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Why is this in the MMA forum?

The Xia
12-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm looking for a MA that I can practice long into old age. I have my Brown belt in Judo and have boxed as an Ametuer. I love both sports but injuries are stopping my training. I'm almost 40 and would like to find an art that is still defense practical and I could dedicate too for the rest of my life.
I think you should try out different things and see what suits you best.

I'm waiting on a wing chun 1st form DVD (that a friend suggested) I ordered it after realizing the shaolin 7 star praying mantis DVD I thought I'd learn wasnt going to happen. Dude was flying all over in it. I havent seen much wing chun but what I have seen seems more practical. Any other suggestions. Please keep in mind

1. I'm old
2. I'm 6'2"@170lbs

Thank's
If you don't mind telling the board, where are you located? Maybe we can suggest a school... I wouldn't recommend trying to learn TCMA from DVDs, books, etc. Lots of things need to be felt firsthand. So if I were you, I'd go out of my way to find a good teacher.

Becca
12-12-2007, 10:28 AM
How is it that TAI CHI was not the first answer to this question? :cool:because he said he wanted something practical. While Tai Chi Ch'uan is a very good martial art, not everyone can make it work for selfdefence, which isn't very practical...

xcakid
12-12-2007, 10:38 AM
because he said he wanted something practical. While Tai Chi Ch'uan is a very good martial art, not everyone can make it work for selfdefence, which isn't very practical...

That's cause most instructors these days teach the health aspects of it and forego the martial application of the forms.

On that note, I would like to suggest Xing Yi.

Lucas
12-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Any style can be mis represented in a fashion that is not practical.

With that in mind, I would suggest practical Chen Taiji, and Qikung. However ONLY if you can find a good teacher.

If you are going to learn from DVD, Wing Chun is not a bad choice, and as another pointed out, your boxing background will help keep it very practical.

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-12-2007, 03:36 PM
because he said he wanted something practical. While Tai Chi Ch'uan is a very good martial art, not everyone can make it work for selfdefence, which isn't very practical...

Reply]
Nonsense, I was using it to stuff attacks form Kun Tao guys just this weekend with rediculous levels of success.

Becca
12-12-2007, 03:41 PM

Reply]
Nonsense, I was using it to stuff attacks form Kun Tao guys just this weekend with rediculous levels of success.

You had a teacher... He'said he "lives on the moon." You can learn tai chi from a video. I even picked up alot about practical uses of tai chi from SPJ's book on the subject... but I had a living, breathing teacher. He has a nice solid background in external stuff; he should be able to pick up quite a bit from videos. But you can't really make internal work in self defence unless you are very experienced in the internal arts and have a teacher to guid you.

SPJ
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
for defense, may be street smart and call 911 on cell phone.

for health and fitness,

may be try tai chi or even yoga,

:D

Lucas
12-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Do you have someone to practice with?

Egg fu young
12-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Do you have someone to practice with?

No. I'm all alone:mad: I have studied Tai Chi for 10 years and love it but, although I'm sure people out there can use it effectively for self defense. I do it for stress/health. I'm looking into a "Wooden Dummy" and the Wing Chun seems learnable and something I could do for a long time. Thanks for all the suggestions I've got to go and try to learn a vertical punch:confused:

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Why don't you start studying the Martial side of your Taiji then? Seems kind of silly to spend all that time building your foundation, and then switch to something totally unrelated for self defense. You could get the health and fitness AND fighting abilities from the same system then. It seems darn inefficient to look somewhere else when Taiji is such a powerful fighting system in and of itself. Especially since you have been doing it for so long, you would probably get real world fighting skills much faster with Taiji than anything else at this point. Plus there are a lot of DVDs on Taiji fighting out there already.

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I've got to go and try to learn a vertical punch

Reply]
It should be in your Taiji Quan form already.

Water Dragon
12-12-2007, 06:47 PM
I vote for Tai Chi, it's good as you get older, and you learn a lot of cool things. Why not stick with the Judo as well? I've recently discovered the joy of coaching the kiddos. A lot of fun and fulfillment in that. The arts offer a lot of practical value besides just fighting. We laa have to stop fighting one day, but you can still train and randori, just be careful who you work with.

The Xia
12-12-2007, 07:43 PM
If you are going to learn from DVD, Wing Chun is not a bad choice,

I'm looking into a "Wooden Dummy" and the Wing Chun seems learnable and something I could do for a long time.
Short-hand is passed on by hand to hand transmission...

monji112000
12-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm looking for a MA that I can practice long into old age. I have my Brown belt in Judo and have boxed as an Ametuer. I love both sports but injuries are stopping my training. I'm almost 40 and would like to find an art that is still defense practical and I could dedicate too for the rest of my life. I'm waiting on a wing chun 1st form DVD (that a friend suggested) I ordered it after realizing the shaolin 7 star praying mantis DVD I thought I'd learn wasnt going to happen. Dude was flying all over in it. I havent seen much wing chun but what I have seen seems more practical. Any other suggestions. Please keep in mind

1. I'm old
2. I'm 6'2"@170lbs

Thank's

YOu do any shooting? you can do that your whole life. Its fun, many options.

bodhitree
12-12-2007, 08:09 PM
This troll sucked you guys in didn't he

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I think boredom was more of a factor than anything...work is slow the last few days and since I have sworn of Women for the time being, I have nothing entertaining to post myself, so this seemed to be the most logical outlet.

The Xia
01-14-2008, 12:20 AM
He had another thread asking about schools in Southern Maryland. I gave a link for Jow Gar. If he's in Southern Maryland, I don't know why he thinks there are no schools there.

golden arhat
01-14-2008, 03:51 AM
get a partner to box,wrestle, with etc learn some xing yi , practise that with your partner, keep it simple

then go to bars every night, dont drink just start fights and try and apply what you learned

you should be fine

:D

Liokault
01-14-2008, 10:19 AM

As opposed to Wing Chun, which every one can use for self defence straight away? Like, there are no pretenders in Kung Fu in general right?

If practical is what he wants then he’s asking the wrong question (leaving aside the fact that he’s a troll).

KFNOOB
01-14-2008, 10:25 AM
To the OP:

You are going to learn from Vids? What series of WC vids have you been recommended. I'd like to maybe get them.

All others:

Is there a good series of Tai Chi vids out there you can recommend?

What MA is best suited for vids and why?

Becca
01-14-2008, 10:56 AM
As opposed to Wing Chun, which every one can use for self defence straight away? Like, there are no pretenders in Kung Fu in general right?

If practical is what he wants then he’s asking the wrong question (leaving aside the fact that he’s a troll).

More likely to find a WC teacher who knows the applications then you are for Tai Chi. Everyone knows and accepts the WC is a martial art. The vast majority of the general public considers Tai Chi to be a manly answer for yoga. These would be the same delusional people who think yoga is just for woman and metrosex uals. Or that martial arts only teachers kids to be bullies.

Unfortunatly, alot of Tai Chi instructors have bought into that and don't teach, and very likely don't know the martial side of thier art.

golden arhat
01-14-2008, 02:07 PM
What MA is best suited for vids and why?

TROLLLLLLLLLLLL

KFNOOB
01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response. [1]

Wow, my question is very controversial and looks like I'm baiting people.

Get a life JO

SPJ
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
I am working on a manuscript.

there are some basic punches, basic kicks, basic qin na and throwing.

I compiled from Shaolin fist methods.

They will be called shaolin taizu fist.

:D;):)

Liokault
01-14-2008, 03:03 PM
More likely to find a WC teacher who knows the applications then you are for Tai Chi. Everyone knows and accepts the WC is a martial art.

Knowing the applications is not the same as effective

The vast majority of the general public considers Tai Chi to be a manly answer for yoga. These would be the same delusional people who think yoga is just for woman and metrosex uals. Or that martial arts only teachers kids to be bullies.

Wing Chun still has not is to French mime what TCC is to yoga.

Unfortunatly, alot of Tai Chi instructors have bought into that and don't teach, and very likely don't know the martial side of thier art.

Yet it exists if you look for it.

greendragon
01-15-2008, 08:10 PM

that's just in Colorado, Becca.