PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts in Anime

冠木侍
12-07-2007, 10:09 PM
I did a quick search and found various threads I thought it a good idea to have one single thread. As the topic is set forth, what are some of your favorite martial art-themed anime? A lot of it is unreal and sometimes ridiculous but those of us who are anime fans just can't seem to get enough.

Please, let me remind everyone that this is a forum meant for discussion. Each one of us has our own personal opinions.

BlueTravesty
12-07-2007, 10:44 PM
1. History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
My personal favorite. Every once in awhile, it'll get into "supernatural" stuff, but that's mostly because it's from the main character's perspective, who's a total noob in Martial Arts (so anything the Masters do will seem supernatural.)

2. Fighting Spirit/Hajime No Ippo
Because Boxing IS a martial art. I like this one because it approaches boxing from a very interesting angle. Again, some of it gets into unrealistic effects, but mostly for the purpose of hyperbole.

3. Ranma 1/2
Because even though it has fake MA styles, it's still funny and entertaining. For an anime, especially one so old, the fight scenes are very creative, and of good quality. I'm particularly fond of the "Gymnastics Battle."

Those are my personal favorites, though I'm also fond of Avatar, though some people tend to dispute its status as Anime.

doug maverick
12-07-2007, 11:27 PM
i started a thread like this but had to erase it. do to an idiot.

冠木侍
12-07-2007, 11:40 PM
1. History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
My personal favorite. Every once in awhile, it'll get into "supernatural" stuff, but that's mostly because it's from the main character's perspective, who's a total noob in Martial Arts (so anything the Masters do will seem supernatural.)

2. Fighting Spirit/Hajime No Ippo
Because Boxing IS a martial art. I like this one because it approaches boxing from a very interesting angle. Again, some of it gets into unrealistic effects, but mostly for the purpose of hyperbole.

3. Ranma 1/2
Because even though it has fake MA styles, it's still funny and entertaining. For an anime, especially one so old, the fight scenes are very creative, and of good quality. I'm particularly fond of the "Gymnastics Battle."

Those are my personal favorites, though I'm also fond of Avatar, though some people tend to dispute its status as Anime.

I've heard of boxing (are you referring to Western) being described as a martial art before. Being the sport that it has evolved into today, it is difficult for me to look at it from that point-of-view. It sounds correct though, what you said.

I've yet to see Hajime No Ippo. It is def on my list.

Avatar is a good series from what I saw. I've not been able to keep up with the story. It was deeply influenced by anime, so we can let it slide.

Fake, over-the-top, realistic...it's all good here. I was just curious about what seems to be the favorites among martial artists.

Here are some of mine;
Street Fighter IIV
Street Fighter Alpha and Generations
SF II Animated movie
Shootfighter Tekken (High School Stories)
Tekken
Toshinden
Ninja Scroll
Rurouni Kenshin (especially the KYOTO story arc)
G-Gundam
Grappler Baki (original movie)
Hokuto No Ken is a classic
Virtua Fighter was amusing but I had to see it just once

冠木侍
12-07-2007, 11:42 PM
i started a thread like this but had to erase it. do to an idiot.

Sorry to hear about that. Let's hope that doesn't happen again (whatever it was that transpired). What are your thoughts?

doug maverick
12-07-2007, 11:57 PM
i've been a fan of anime since 93, when my father showed me akira and dragon ball all with no subs just in plain japanese and i ****ing loved i didn;t know what the story was about and i didn't care, i just loved it. dragon ball i pretty much got its simple any nimrod can understand it. as of right now i'm more into reading the mangas of some anime like tenjo tenge which is an amazing peice of work. other anime i like is battle vixens naruto(like the manga better) bleach(they lost me a little with the bonto and then with the other fillers but i still love it), cowboy bebop is an anime i would love to make into a live action film(the killer meets blade runner meets bruce lee). i've always loved anime and i will continue too. people say they don;t like it now because its so popular and i'm like what you don;t like something because its popular thats the stupidest sh!t i ever heard of.

冠木侍
12-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Akira I first saw in '97. It was the old dubbed version but it was a great story and the animation (for an 80's anime) was top-notch (comparable to others made in the same time. Still a classic I watch it every now and then (subbed on DVD of course).

*Doing that helps a little to reinforce my Japanese training.

DBZ...what can I say? I was a fan when it was first released in NA. Now, obviously the fights are ridiculously unrealistic and the story is simple, but it is one of those action-packed animes that are just cool.

What I thought was better though, was the original DragonBall. Syndicated for a short time before DBZ's mega blitz, it had a small following. I was able to catch some of it on all Spanish channels (helped to reinforce my espanol and it was shown UNCUT. I had bought some of the dvds, and the things leading up to the events in Dragonball Z are comical, interesting and somewhat action-packed (since i'm sure you know that they had a better storyline in lieu of over-the-top fights).

I can't believe I forgot to mention this one. Thank you for reminding me.

Anyone else got any favorites?

doug maverick
12-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Akira I first saw in '97. It was the old dubbed version but it was a great story and the animation (for an 80's anime) was top-notch (comparable to others made in the same time. Still a classic I watch it every now and then (subbed on DVD of course).

the animation for akira has lasted and is good even by today's standards. and is better then alot of the **** out now. the animation that came out recently that had saome amazing art is claymore.

NJM
12-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Why does this type of thread keep popping up?

chud
12-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Because people want to discuss it?

HOKPAIWES
12-08-2007, 01:20 PM
the animation for akira has lasted and is good even by today's standards. and is better then alot of the **** out now..

I still about once a week enjoy the soundtrack during training and sometimes at work. Akira was the best.

ittokaos
12-08-2007, 01:52 PM
I for one prefer the manga to most anime(because it is cheaper) but I suppose that one of the best martial arts anie I have ever seen was the original Dragonball. Z and GT were good but for my taste the original was the best for me.

In manga, Tenjho Tenge is one of the best martial arts manga out there today. If you havent read it I strongly recommend. There is also one called Kenji which is based on the author's experience with Bajiquan. There is a lot of TMA in that one but you can only get it from Japan. No translation though. Shootfight Tekken(tough) was another great one but one day it just stopped coming out in america. I cant read kanji so I was pretty much screwed. The same for Fist of the Blue Sky(the prequel to Fist of the North Star). It was a great book but unfortunately it seems like only a handful of people wanted it.

doug maverick
12-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I for one prefer the manga to most anime(because it is cheaper) but I suppose that one of the best martial arts anie I have ever seen was the original Dragonball. Z and GT were good but for my taste the original was the best for me.

In manga, Tenjho Tenge is one of the best martial arts manga out there today. If you havent read it I strongly recommend. There is also one called Kenji which is based on the author's experience with Bajiquan. There is a lot of TMA in that one but you can only get it from Japan. No translation though. Shootfight Tekken(tough) was another great one but one day it just stopped coming out in america. I cant read kanji so I was pretty much screwed. The same for Fist of the Blue Sky(the prequel to Fist of the North Star). It was a great book but unfortunately it seems like only a handful of people wanted it.

yeah tenjo tenge is the best manga out.

doug maverick
12-08-2007, 06:45 PM

because people like talking about. anime is a mainstay here in the states and those of us who have been watching before it was popular are happy. you don't like find you don't have to post.

BlueTravesty
12-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Well, this is the martial media forum. And this thread is titled "Martial Arts in Anime." Martial Arts is pretty self-explanatory, and Anime is a type of Media. Seems like a good fit to me.

Zenshiite
12-09-2007, 10:40 AM
doug, aren't Tenjho Tenge and Battle Vixens pretty much just fan service mangas?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Upskirts and what not.

Jimbo
12-09-2007, 05:53 PM
My favorite anime with martial arts is Ninja Scroll by far. Nothing traditional, just fun.

As far an manga, when I lived in Taiwan, I bought a whole series of the Japanese manga Chuan-Erh (the Chinese translation; I think it's actually "Kenji" in Japanese). Written by Matsuda, who was a student of Liu Yun-Qiao in Taiwan. The kid is a Baji stylist from Japan who eventually travels to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and ends in China. His arch-nemesis is a Chinese gangster in Japan who originally practices Hung Gar, eventually switching to Xinyi Liuhequan in China. There were "guest appearances" during the series of Liu Yun-Qiao, Adam Hsu, Lau Kar-Leung, and many other real-life masters. That manga was definitely my favorite.

doug maverick
12-09-2007, 05:54 PM
doug, aren't Tenjho Tenge and Battle Vixens pretty much just fan service mangas?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Upskirts and what not.

battle vixens yes. tenjo tenge although it apears that way it is not its a FIGHTER ANIME WITH FAN SERVICE IN IT.sorry for the caps

brothernumber9
12-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Hajime No Ippo is my favorite anime and manga. The Anime was discontinued but the manga is still going and still good.
I still read Naruto also. Both from scanslations, although if I'm impatient, I'll occasionally check out the raws first.
Grappler Baki was cool in a bloodsport sort of way, and played on perpetuated characteristics of some martial arts. There was another, I think called Shadow Fist or something like that too.

冠木侍
12-10-2007, 02:30 PM
the animation for akira has lasted and is good even by today's standards. and is better then alot of the **** out now. the animation that came out recently that had saome amazing art is claymore.

Yes, I do agree with that wholeheartedly about Akira. Katsuhiro Otomo's work always looks good. Steamboy looked great as well. I've heard a lot about Claymore. Must give it a go.

I still about once a week enjoy the soundtrack during training and sometimes at work. Akira was the best.

Yeah. I think I bought the CD a while back. Haven't listened to it yet. Only when I watch the anime. The Afro-Japanese beat (what it sounds like). I might add it to my '"tunes for cruising." It would go great with my Initial D music. Classic.

Another anime i forgot to mention. Unfortunately, I have not read the manga yet. I hear that the anime left a lot out, which is usually common. Still a great story but I got confused during all the flashbacks and whatnot. I need to review it again later on.

冠木侍
12-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Asked and answered. If you need more elaboration, I will be happy to oblige.

**You are still more than welcome to contribute.

street_fighter
12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
****, i have been looking for kenji forever now. its the only manga I'm interested in. Where did you people find it!? Apparently it is based on Matsuda's real life experiences, including training with adam hsu, lau kar leung, liu yun qiao etc. I'm dying to read this thing. No one here has heard of it...

Yeah, nothing can replace the original dragon ball. I was raised on that show. I'm also an old street fighter junkie (who would have guessed eh). I was just watching alpha generations the other day, I never noticed how much baji Ryu was doing. It had a big impact on japanese MA, at least in the media.

Jimbo
12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
street fighter:
I actually found Kenji in Chinese translation in a large indoor market in Taipei, Taiwan that had many vendors who sold Japanese manga. And it was only in 1 or 2 of the stalls that had it. This was way back in around 1990 or '91. I wasn't even aware that anyone in the States even knew about it.

ittokaos
12-11-2007, 12:05 AM
I have been looking like crazy for a english translation for mths now. Is there one?

I had heard about on wiki and since then I have decided to find what I could. It is pretty scarce in japanese(from what I saw). I would love to have the whole series even if it wasnt in english. I am sue that I could eventually find someone who wouldnt mind translating it for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jethro
12-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Are you guys talking about ALAN Hsu? He does a lot of TV series. Kenji does sound good. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

ittokaos
12-11-2007, 09:28 AM
He is a Bajiquan(as well as many other styles) Sifu out of the bay area(SF). He is responsible for some of the best topics on kung fu out there. A very influential man.

Check out his books: The sword polisher's record and lone sword against the cold cold sky. You can get them both through Plumpub .\

I hope this helps,

WF

jethro
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Oh, ok. Thanks for the info.

Jimbo
12-11-2007, 02:50 PM
BTW, I think Adam Hsu moved back to Taipei several years ago, though I heard he returns periodically to the Bay Area to conduct seminars at his school there.

street_fighter
12-11-2007, 04:48 PM
I have been looking like crazy for a english translation for mths now. Is there one?

I had heard about on wiki and since then I have decided to find what I could. It is pretty scarce in japanese(from what I saw). I would love to have the whole series even if it wasnt in english. I am sue that I could eventually find someone who wouldnt mind translating it for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you saying you have the japanese version:confused:? man, i would kill for this thing. you should see all the funny faces i get when i ask for it here:D. As soon as I say "chotto furui to omou kedo", everyone tries to sell me akira. " i have akira. do you want akira?". If i wanted akira, i would have asked for akira. koitsumo koitsumo koitsumo...

Anyone know of anywhere in beijing or tianjin that might carry it??? There are quite a few people online that want it. If I ever do find it, i'm scanning it and putting it up. I'll let you know:cool:.

Adam Hsu is HUGE. pretty much every baji school in north america is one of his senior students.

On topic, I'm not a fan of whats currently being turned out. The only anime i have enjoyed in a long time is samurai champloo. I didn't finish it, but the fighting was really nice, and stylized. i just cant take all the teen emotionalism, and filler eps. Like in naruto, nothing ever happens. half of it just sad stories, and "i don't feel emotion" :eek:.

Zenshiite
12-11-2007, 05:12 PM
battle vixens yes. tenjo tenge although it apears that way it is not its a FIGHTER ANIME WITH FAN SERVICE IN IT.sorry for the caps

I see. I only caught Tenjho Tenge on FuseTV a couple times. I liked it, though I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Battle Vixens I saw in the Borders, thought the title was funny. Then there was panties galore. Haha. And exploding school girl shirts.

ittokaos
12-12-2007, 02:11 PM
You really should get the manga instead. The eps on fuse aren't even the full eps most of the time.

Sorry, I dont have the japanese version either. I saw it once but someone snagged it before I knew it. I was broke that day anyway.

doug maverick
12-12-2007, 10:59 PM
whats the wiki link o this. never heard of it but it sounds really interesting

Zenshiite
12-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Doug, from what I understand the english versions of Tenjho Tenge do some heavy editing of the art even. I've seen webpages where fans make not of it, post side by side comparisons. Lots of bare boobies in the original.

doug maverick
12-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Doug, from what I understand the english versions of Tenjho Tenge do some heavy editing of the art even. I've seen webpages where fans make not of it, post side by side comparisons. Lots of bare boobies in the original.

i never read the official english translation. only the fan one so i don't know how much was cut out.

冠木侍
12-17-2007, 02:38 PM
I see. I only caught Tenjho Tenge on FuseTV a couple times. I liked it, though I had no idea what the hell was going on.

Battle Vixens I saw in the Borders, thought the title was funny. Then there was panties galore. Haha. And exploding school girl shirts.

See if the dvd's are available. It's like Total Recall in that if you watch it from the middle, you will be lost. I had watched Ten Ten from the beginning but got lost during some of the flashbacks.

Great fights though!

doug maverick
12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
See if the dvd's are available. It's like Total Recall in that if you watch it from the middle, you will be lost. I had watched Ten Ten from the beginning but got lost during some of the flashbacks.

Great fights though!

yeah it becomes a whole nother anime when they go into the 12 ep flashback which in honesty probably was the result of the demise of the anime.

冠木侍
12-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Some critics bash this but it is one of my favorites...using Gundams for straight up fighting. Nice! Of course, there is always the political intrigue present in the Gundam Universe.

Plus the use of real martial art styles was a plus.

Sai Saici his SHAOLIN Style
George de Sand and his FENCING
Chibodee Crocket and his BOXING style
Argo Gulskii with his GRAPPLING style.

It will always be one of my favorite Gundam Series.

冠木侍
12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
My favorite anime with martial arts is Ninja Scroll by far. Nothing traditional, just fun.

Yeah, one of the first intense ones that I saw.

The rock creature...Tessai. He is supposed to be a Ninja?

That first bloodbath just let me know that I was in store for action.

doug maverick
12-17-2007, 03:19 PM
yeah ninja scroll had everything.

doug maverick
01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
yo did anybody check out. the 1998 anime KITE. thats where tarrintino got the back story for oh ren. its hot if you can find it see it i just saw it today if anybody got aim i'm willing to share

冠木侍
01-03-2008, 06:12 PM
yo did anybody check out. the 1998 anime KITE. thats where tarrintino got the back story for oh ren. its hot if you can find it see it i just saw it today if anybody got aim i'm willing to share

I've definitely seen it. But it has been a while. Another Uometsu's work with a similar theme that is worth looking at is Mezzo Forte (I'm referring to the standalone OAV and not the series.

I'm guessing that Kite made some kind of impression on you...

doug maverick
01-03-2008, 06:17 PM
iwas just good ****.

冠木侍
01-03-2008, 06:41 PM
i was just good ****.

Yeah dude. Good stuff. There was much acclaim about it back then. Glad you were able to finally catch it. Add it to your collection.

Check Mezzo Forte when you have time bro. The premise is a bit more light and not as dark.

So, keeping it user-friendly, what action scenes caught your attention?

Keep us updated as to what you discover regarding anime. I created this thread as venue to discuss it in a mature (because we are martial artists), yet casual manner. And because I know a lot of us are fans.

冠木侍
01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Anyone who saw Ninja Scroll will notice the similarities of the character design.

Awesome anime. Those familiar with Highlander would be entertained.

My only complaint was that there was no Japanese track.

doug maverick
01-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah dude. Good stuff. There was much acclaim about it back then. Glad you were able to finally catch it. Add it to your collection.

Check Mezzo Forte when you have time bro. The premise is a bit more light and not as dark.

So, keeping it user-friendly, what action scenes caught your attention?

Keep us updated as to what you discover regarding anime. I created this thread as venue to discuss it in a mature (because we are martial artists), yet casual manner. And because I know a lot of us are fans.

just watched mezzo forte. didn't like it nearly as much as kite, but it was okay. it felt like it was missing something. i think it would've been better if the two girls would've figured out they were sisters and still went after each other. plus the whole vision thing wasn;t really explained. but like i said it was okay

冠木侍
01-16-2008, 10:29 PM
just watched mezzo forte. didn't like it nearly as much as kite, but it was okay. it felt like it was missing something. i think it would've been better if the two girls would've figured out they were sisters and still went after each other. plus the whole vision thing wasn;t really explained. but like i said it was okay

Well, Kite is La Femme Fatale. Mezzo Forte had an interesting story. Just as I said though, not as dark as Kite. It was by the same person, so I figured you'd get a kick out of it.

The ending for Kite left much to be desired. There was a bit more character development there. It has been a long time since i watched it.

Lucas
01-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Like many others, Ninja Scroll was and still is my favorite Anime.

I like the martial arts displayed through out the Cowboy Bebop series...good stuff.

Also the dubbed character for Spike and Jubei are they same voice actor ;)

I enjoyed watching the Hitokiri Botosai: Kenshin series as well.

Grappler Baki was a fun one, based around one guys sport fighting arena career.

Blood: the last vampire has some nice japanese swordplay displayed in the animation. A shorty but goody. Also combines digital animation with regular animation methods. visually its a nice piece of work.

Tekken and Streetfighter, both really fun, just keep away from that junky american stuff.

冠木侍
01-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Like many others, Ninja Scroll was and still is my favorite Anime.

I like the martial arts displayed through out the Cowboy Bebop series...good stuff.

Also the dubbed character for Spike and Jubei are they same voice actor ;)

I enjoyed watching the Hitokiri Botosai: Kenshin series as well.

Grappler Baki was a fun one, based around one guys sport fighting arena career.

Blood: the last vampire has some nice japanese swordplay displayed in the animation. A shorty but goody. Also combines digital animation with regular animation methods. visually its a nice piece of work.

Tekken and Streetfighter, both really fun, just keep away from that junky american stuff.

When bilingual dvds came out, I stopped watching dubs :p
But in the beginning, I used to keep up a lot with the voice actors. Yeah, Steven Jay Blum or if you will David Lucas has a very distinct voice.

The martial arts in Cowboy Bebop looked like it borrowed from Bruce Lee.

My favorite Kenshin series was the Kyoto Arc, where your friend David Lucas was the English dub for Shishio. Good overall series. This arc showcased not only Kenshin's abilities but a plethora of other styles (albeit the moves were fictional for the most part) and interesting villains. It is a series that is definitely watchable again (finding time is another story).

Grappler Baki is a good one. Just fighting and more fighting. I will eventually watch the series Baki the Grappler which is supposed to be based on the main character. Looks cool.

I believe all the things you mention I either watched or own.

The swordplay of Blood the Last Vampire reminds me of both Vampire Hunter D movies.

冠木侍
01-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Fighting and action...Did anyone get a chance to see a little anime called Spriggan? :D

doug maverick
01-19-2008, 05:15 PM
When bilingual dvds came out, I stopped watching dubs :p
But in the beginning, I used to keep up a lot with the voice actors. Yeah, Steven Jay Blum or if you will David Lucas has a very distinct voice.

My favorite Kenshin series was the Kyoto Arc, where your friend David Lucas was the English dub for Shishio. Good overall series. This arc showcased not only Kenshin's abilities but a plethora of other styles (albeit the moves were fictional for the most part) and interesting villains. It is a series that is definitely watchable again (finding time is another story).

Grappler Baki is a good one. Just fighting and more fighting. I will eventually watch the series Baki the Grappler which is supposed to be based on the main character. Looks cool.

I believe all the things you mention I either watched or own.

The swordplay of Blood the Last Vampire reminds me of both Vampire Hunter D movies.

the fights in cowboy bebop did borrow from bruce lee as its stated in the early eps. that spike was a practicioner of jeet kune do.

冠木侍
01-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Then I guess I was correct. :)

Afterthought.
Now that I think about it, I remember Spike making a reference to either Bruce or JKD. As of the writing of the previous response, I had a clear pic in my mind of Spike delivering the famous sidekick and holding his leg in mid air.

冠木侍
01-25-2008, 02:19 AM
I just recently finished this. It was an anime that I had started a while ago and just never got around to finishing. But it was worth the wait.

The action never lets up and chemistry (sarcasm) between the three really keeps us coming back for more.

I liked how everything came together in the end, even though some things seemed rushed and a bit incomplete. The filler episodes were a great addition.

HtownShaolinBum
02-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Good anime is hard to find. I used to watch good shows like Naruto, Trigun, Hajime No Ippo, Ghost in The Shell and a few others. The rest of it pretty much sucks or is just a ripoff. I'm sure there are good ones out there that I havent seen, but I gave up on trying to find them.

Most of the time lately when I pass by an anime shelf or manga shelf, it is just a bunch of almost naked anime girls that look like they are twelve and have these gigantor watermelon boobs popping out of their tops. The number of drawn in pokey nipples on anime covers has increased by like 200000% in the past couple years. It is a good way of selling crap to 13 year old boys, but other than that, nothing good has come out that I know of.

Seriously though, if you haven't seen Hajime No Ippo, it is just a great show, and the animation is better and more consistent than most animes.

HtownShaolinBum
02-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I liked how everything came together in the end, even though some things seemed rushed and a bit incomplete. The filler episodes were a great addition.

This is why I stopped watching anime. Every anime does this. They have too many filler episodes and too much buildup, and then have an ending that is WAY too rushed and seems incomplete.

HtownShaolinBum
02-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Well, Kite is La Femme Fatale. Mezzo Forte had an interesting story. Just as I said though, not as dark as Kite. It was by the same person, so I figured you'd get a kick out of it.

The ending for Kite left much to be desired. There was a bit more character development there. It has been a long time since i watched it.

You mean the shows with the random porno scenes? Kite and Mezzo Forte were bad and the porn scenes were just a way to get 13 year old boys to buy them.

冠木侍
02-03-2008, 10:14 PM
This is why I stopped watching anime. Every anime does this. They have too many filler episodes and too much buildup, and then have an ending that is WAY too rushed and seems incomplete.

I said it seemed a bit incomplete. It is one of the more complete endings I have come across where all the events have some closure. Definitely I recommend Samurai Champloo.

冠木侍
02-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Good anime is hard to find. I used to watch good shows like Naruto, Trigun, Hajime No Ippo, Ghost in The Shell and a few others. The rest of it pretty much sucks or is just a ripoff. I'm sure there are good ones out there that I havent seen, but I gave up on trying to find them.

Most of the time lately when I pass by an anime shelf or manga shelf, it is just a bunch of almost naked anime girls that look like they are twelve and have these gigantor watermelon boobs popping out of their tops. The number of drawn in pokey nipples on anime covers has increased by like 200000% in the past couple years. It is a good way of selling crap to 13 year old boys, but other than that, nothing good has come out that I know of.

Seriously though, if you haven't seen Hajime No Ippo, it is just a great show, and the animation is better and more consistent than most animes.

Hajime no Ippo has been recommended more than once. It is def on my list of anime to watch. I'm sorry that you haven't been able to find anything out there that suits you. Being an anime fan, I find that in addition to action and martial arts, different types of anime genres are of an interest to me. It is a way to gain more exposure to the language as well as to be more well-rounded.

I doubt 13 yr old boys could afford to buy complete series. Maybe the box sets and with the help of their parents. But that is a digression.

There are anime made for different audiences. Right now, I am trying to be more fiscally responsible. So, I can't afford to get every new series that comes out. The stuff I see when walking through Best Buy or wherever. Plus, there is a time issue. Work, class, training, more training, gym and all the other stuff that I put myself through leaves me with only a little time for anime.

Dude, anime has different genres that appeal to the different demographics. I know not what stores you walk into but there is something for everyone. Shoujo or Shounen or many of the other plethora of genres available.

This is off topic, but anime seems to be in a declining market at this stage. With the recent end of Geneon, titles like the aforementioned Samurai Champloo are difficult to come by. I feel I was lucky to be able to watch it.

Wildwoo
02-05-2008, 01:21 PM
I did a quick search and found various threads I thought it a good idea to have one single thread. As the topic is set forth, what are some of your favorite martial art-themed anime? A lot of it is unreal and sometimes ridiculous but those of us who are anime fans just can't seem to get enough.

Please, let me remind everyone that this is a forum meant for discussion. Each one of us has our own personal opinions.

Sprigan

Samurai Champloos

Cowboy Bebop

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Series

Wonderful Days (Sky Blue in US) Korean ( Same Company to animate Avatar TLAB) The opening motorcycle ride beats the crap out of Akira, plus the "sky bikes" were so awesome and there is a martial scene where the female heroin closes the gap and executes a flawless seize and control/ disarm that is so d a m n kool. My friend Oh Seung-hyun was the director on that sequence.
http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_Wonderful_Days.php?rating=9&add=f_87

AVATAR THE LAST AIRBENDER HAS THE BEST MARTIAL ARTS OF ANY ANIMATED SHOW EVER UNDISPUTED IMHO:D

冠木侍
02-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I caught some random episodes but haven't followed the story. I def liked what I saw and decided to purchase the Book I season set (this was a while ago). Still hav yet to open it though. I will someday.

I still need to get the second book.

Shaolin87
02-13-2008, 12:12 PM

Baki The Grappler is great man, I couldnt get enough of it while watching it. There also supposed to come out with a new season sometime soon from what I hear so im just waiting for that.

冠木侍
03-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Baki The Grappler is great man, I couldnt get enough of it while watching it. There also supposed to come out with a new season sometime soon from what I hear so im just waiting for that.

No doubt. I'll probably watch it soon.

冠木侍
03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Any fans of the anime or manga here?

As you all know, last week Ex Machina came out. Anyone shell out for this feature. The first CGI one was great. I haven't watched it yet but I am expecting great things.

NJM
03-18-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=bottled-water.jpg&category=Drinks&date=2007-07-23

SevenStar
03-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I can't believe I missed this thread. However, a big WTF was raised when I read this one...

I've heard of boxing (are you referring to Western) being described as a martial art before. Being the sport that it has evolved into today, it is difficult for me to look at it from that point-of-view. It sounds correct though, what you said.

why wouldn't a martial sport be a martial art? Does that mean also that mma, muay thai, judo and sambo are not martial arts? Where is that definition drawn? Most avg boxers would kill an MA, but boxing is not a martial art?

I've yet to see Hajime No Ippo. It is def on my list.

AWESOME series

Avatar is a good series from what I saw. I've not been able to keep up with the story. It was deeply influenced by anime, so we can let it slide.

avatar is good. Avatar is "amerime"

Fake, over-the-top, realistic...it's all good here. I was just curious about what seems to be the favorites among martial artists.

Here are some of mine;
Street Fighter IIV
Street Fighter Alpha and Generations
Shootfighter Tekken (High School Stories)
Virtua Fighter was amusing but I had to see it just once
Tekken
Toshinden

I didn't like any of those at all.

Ninja Scroll
Rurouni Kenshin (especially the KYOTO story arc)
Hokuto No Ken is a classic

those were all awesome. However, after the kyoto arc, kenshin started to suck because there was no real story line.

SF II Animated movie
Grappler Baki (original movie)

those were pretty good

G-Gundam

This is my least favorite of the gundam installments...I take that back. 008th MS team is my least fave, but this one is second to it.

Anyway, here is my list:

Hajime No Ippo
Cowboy bebop
Samurai Champloo
Yu Yu Hakusho
Crying Freeman
Ranma 1/2
Samurai Seven
Ogre Slayer
The Hakkenden
*DBZ
Spriggan
Inuyasha
Bleach
Fatal Fury (all three of them) - Probably one of my favorite anime that was spawned from a video game
Wolf's Rain
Fist of the North Star
Battle Angel Alita

*Kinda cheesy, but DBZ is classic.

There is a lot of really good anime around man. You just gotta find it. I am sure there are other I like, but these are the ones floating in my head right now.

I have a game called "Rival Schools" that I know was based on an anime... Has anyone seen the anime?

SevenStar
03-19-2008, 08:27 AM

That was intentional. It's mentioned all through the series.

SevenStar
03-19-2008, 08:36 AM
This is off topic, but anime seems to be in a declining market at this stage. With the recent end of Geneon, titles like the aforementioned Samurai Champloo are difficult to come by. I feel I was lucky to be able to watch it.

I wouldn't say it's on a decline. However, you are shopping in stores like best buy, you said. Places like that are only going to carry what sells. Currently, you will probably find naruto, DBZ, one piece, yu gi oh!, pokemon, etc. The very mainstream stuff that is on afternoon television. Some places like the alternative clothing stores and stuff where you can buy anime shirts will have older yet popular ones like bebop, yu yu hakusho and samurai champloo.

To find the biggest selection, go to your local anime or comic shop. You can also always buy online.

SevenStar
03-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Hajime No Ippo is my favorite anime and manga. The Anime was discontinued but the manga is still going and still good.
I still read Naruto also. Both from scanslations, although if I'm impatient, I'll occasionally check out the raws first.
Grappler Baki was cool in a bloodsport sort of way, and played on perpetuated characteristics of some martial arts. There was another, I think called Shadow Fist or something like that too.

Shadow Fist....Shadow Skill, maybe?

SevenStar
03-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Anyone remember "Dragon Warrior"? it was based on the popular rpg and was done by Toriyama (of dragon ball fame)

brothernumber9
03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Shadow Fist....Shadow Skill, maybe?

Not Shadow Skill, I saw a couple episodes of that one. The one I'm thinking about is a little like Baki. This blonde haired kid who I beleive in the storyline is like 15 or 16 was the son of a guy who was famed for his "nan-shin shadow skill". An assassination art.
In any case the boy's father took part in an underground fighting circuit and poked the eye out of this pro wrestler/gangster in the final. The pro wrestler/gangster guy vowed for revenge even going as far to try to take it out on the "nan-shin shodow skill" guy's son (the main character of the anime). The kid meets and enlists the help of various fighting specialists including a catch-as-catch-can guy, to improve his fighting ability until he is ready to challenge the evil pro wrestler/gangster guy. I got as far as they (the kid and arch villain) about to fight, but did not see the conclusion.

冠木侍
03-19-2008, 05:14 PM
That was intentional. It's mentioned all through the series.

You came late in the game. I had realized afterward about Cowboy Bebop. (Did you read any of the posts after that?)

SevenStar
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
You came late in the game. I had realized afterward about Cowboy Bebop. (Did you read any of the posts after that?)

yeah, but I post as I read, so I didn't read it until later.

冠木侍
03-19-2008, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't say it's on a decline. However, you are shopping in stores like best buy, you said. Places like that are only going to carry what sells. Currently, you will probably find naruto, DBZ, one piece, yu gi oh!, pokemon, etc. The very mainstream stuff that is on afternoon television. Some places like the alternative clothing stores and stuff where you can buy anime shirts will have older yet popular ones like bebop, yu yu hakusho and samurai champloo.

To find the biggest selection, go to your local anime or comic shop. You can also always buy online.

Anime is in abundance BUT the market was small to begin with. When companies like Geneon go out of business and there is downsizing (as with FUNimation and ADV Films), there is def a decline. I believe that the decline, compared with the success in the early part of this decade has manifested itself in certain ways. In addition to the aforementioned examples, companies are licensing less anime nowadays.

Yeah, Best Buy's got a good selection and there are a bunch of online retailers that have tons of anime. There are new releases on a fairly regular basis but it seems the revenue from those sales is still not enough. You could go to local shops or cons and pay outrageous prices. There is still anime for sale, no dispute there but looking at the big picture tells us a different story.

Going with the example I provided...at this stage it is probably safe to say that all or most of the titles that were released by Geneon would be a little difficult to find right now. Most likely, whatever stock was left was bought up real quick and obviously, those titles were not replenished. That was a major chunk of anime that started to disappear and Geneon was a big player in the business. Yeah, you could probably find a copy somewhere online but those titles weren't in abundance as they were before.

The decline is real. Do what you can to support the domestic market. That is the best thing fans can do right now.

Don't just go by what you see on the shelves my friend.

冠木侍
03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Not Shadow Skill, I saw a couple episodes of that one. The one I'm thinking about is a little like Baki. This blonde haired kid who I beleive in the storyline is like 15 or 16 was the son of a guy who was famed for his "nan-shin shadow skill". An assassination art.
In any case the boy's father took part in an underground fighting circuit and poked the eye out of this pro wrestler/gangster in the final. The pro wrestler/gangster guy vowed for revenge even going as far to try to take it out on the "nan-shin shodow skill" guy's son (the main character of the anime). The kid meets and enlists the help of various fighting specialists including a catch-as-catch-can guy, to improve his fighting ability until he is ready to challenge the evil pro wrestler/gangster guy. I got as far as they (the kid and arch villain) about to fight, but did not see the conclusion.

I've seen it and you give an great synopsis, which is why I was able to recognize this. This is one of the most intense fighting anime that I have ever seen. It is a shame that it was so short. Maybe the manga will provide more entertainment.

Shootfighter Tekken (NA name), aka High School Exciting Story: Tough (高校鉄拳伝タフ)

Nan-shin shadow skill...

冠木侍
03-19-2008, 06:16 PM

Just a reminder about the stipulation that I put forth.

You all like what you like and there are titles that really didn't do anything for you. It is a public forum and it was bound to happen that there are titles that were mentioned in which you do not care for. Oh well.

But I do respect all of your personal opinions. Even with some disagreements, there are actually a lot of anime that are common favorites. It's nice to know that. In this thread, it's all good. Just keep it friendly...Por Favor...Onegaishimsu...Si Vu Ple (sp?).

Thanks all and take care.

Thanks.

SevenStar
03-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Any fans of the anime or manga here?

As you all know, last week Ex Machina came out. Anyone shell out for this feature. The first CGI one was great. I haven't watched it yet but I am expecting great things.

Appleseed is pretty good. Any Gasaraki fans?

Lucas
03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Gasaraki is rad. Havent watched that in years tho, kinda old school.

I just watched Battle Angel again after a few years of not seeing it.

I am wanting to get into this phase of watching all the old Anime I loved again....such an expensive habit though...unless you pirate :D

MD Geist 1&2 is sitting on my desk right now though, thats getting watched for sure tonight.

But MD Geist is so increadably hardcore its freaking nuts

Talk about old school....

冠木侍
03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Gasaraki I never got around to...thanks for reminding [adds it to the list]

Battle Angel I liked but I didn't buy a copy before it went on moratorium. Now it is hard to come by. I bought a subbed VHS but don't want to open it. I hope that the dvd is re-released again.

MD Geist is def old school and hardcore. The first time i saw it was uncut on some independent movie channel. Some would say the animation is a bit dated but it is an old anime.

Wow, I don't remember that much about Death Force. I may just have to take after you and watch it again.

But before that, it's Tekkon Kinkreet and Ex Machina.

Take care.

Lucas
03-21-2008, 10:39 AM
MD Geist is def old school and hardcore. The first time i saw it was uncut on some independent movie channel. Some would say the animation is a bit dated but it is an old anime.

Yep, its up there with Fist of the North Star.

BlueTravesty
03-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Hero Tales. Definitely Hero Tales. It's a new series by the creator of FMA (totally different though, so if you'd don't like FMA don't let that turn you off.) It's got this really cool "Wuxia" kinda feel to it. What little I've seen of it seems pretty fast paced, too.

Like History's Strongest disciple, someone has probably already found out that I would like it and therefore banned its official licensing in the US :(

BlueTravesty
03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I have a game called "Rival Schools" that I know was based on an anime... Has anyone seen the anime?

I consider it my civic duty to respond to any post having to do with Rival Schools. Definitely one of my favorite 3d fighting games. Not technically "the best" but my favorite. (I have the intro theme on my mp3 player)

Unfortunately, while it did sport some Anime cutscenes (the ending was particularly nice,) unfortunately, there was no Rival Schools Anime. FWIW I think it would make an awesome anime series. Udon Comics did, however, produce a Rival Schools "manga" series. I may check it out someday.

Makes me want to dust off my Dreamcast and play Project Justice (the sequel.)

doug maverick
03-25-2008, 01:34 PM
the rival school games were based on a manga volcano high which was made into a half decent film and then butchered to death by mtv.

ittokaos
03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Fist of the Blue Sky was one of my favorite ones. Unfortunately the manga never went past #4 in the US and the anime was never translated as far as I know

Zenshiite
03-25-2008, 05:40 PM
the rival school games were based on a manga volcano high which was made into a half decent film and then butchered to death by mtv.

I don't think I ever watched the original version of Volcano High. I'll have to put that on my Netflix cue....

冠木侍
03-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I don't think I ever watched the original version of Volcano High. I'll have to put that on my Netflix cue....

I stayed away from the MTV version...well dubs in general.

The dvd (the one I have) sports two versions on a dvd 10 (which is a dvd that has a movie on both sides). Of course one is the original Korean and other is the MTV dub.

Not a bad movie. A few things like editing and scenes involving the main character (you might notice when you see it) bothered me a bit.

The girl sporting the kendo (kumdo) stick was cute.

Rival Schools was a great game and it is a shame that there wasn't an anime to go along with it.

SevenStar
04-01-2008, 01:09 PM
cool. I'll check out volcano high

Lucas
04-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I stayed away from the MTV version...well dubs in general.

The dvd (the one I have) sports two versions on a dvd 10 (which is a dvd that has a movie on both sides). Of course one is the original Korean and other is the MTV dub.

Not a bad movie. A few things like editing and scenes involving the main character (you might notice when you see it) bothered me a bit.

The girl sporting the kendo (kumdo) stick was cute.

Rival Schools was a great game and it is a shame that there wasn't an anime to go along with it.

Ya stay away from the MTV one, the story is actually changed. Which makes it a bit more confusing.

Well, I guess you have to watch the MTV one, cuz its got snoop dog in it :D

Of course he plays the mega pimp.

冠木侍
04-11-2008, 09:09 PM
One of my favs that I was going to re-watch was Vampire Hunter D. The original (circa 1985) is a classic that really showcased that anime was not just limited a single genre.

It still holds up today imho. I know that one criticism is that it "dated" or whatever word anyone wants to use but it was a great take on an already popular figure in Hollywood. The fight scenes were cool and D's sword was kick a**.

Now, the sequel was just awesome. They took an already good anime and gave it a new look. Everything was raised to another level...animation, story, look and feel. The fighting was intense and the antagonists were very diverse and interesting. Heavy action, great story and nice production values.

冠木侍
04-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Ya stay away from the MTV one, the story is actually changed. Which makes it a bit more confusing.

Well, I guess you have to watch the MTV one, cuz its got snoop dog in it :D

Of course he plays the mega pimp.

I noticed that the story was a bit changed (from the little that I decided to check out...and i do stress 'little.'

Eh, not really a Snoop Dog fan. :p

Lucas
04-11-2008, 09:30 PM
One of my favs that I was going to re-watch was Vampire Hunter D. The original (circa 1985) is a classic that really showcased that anime was not just limited a single genre.

It still holds up today imho. I know that one criticism is that it "dated" or whatever word anyone wants to use but it was a great take on an already popular figure in Hollywood. The fight scenes were cool and D's sword was kick a**.

Now, the sequel was just awesome. They took an already good anime and gave it a new look. Everything was raised to another level...animation, story, look and feel. The fighting was intense and the antagonists were very diverse and interesting. Heavy action, great story and nice production values.

I fully concur.

Have you had an opportunity to read the Vampire Hunter D novels?

冠木侍
04-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I have not had an opportunity. I don't buy that much manga (hardly) but maybe it would be a good idea. We all know anime adaptations of manga come out a bit different and there is a lot of great stuff there.

I do need to brush up on my kanji reading though.

How far along are you in regards to the graphic novels?

Lucas
04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
I have only read the first couple.

There are some pictures involved in them, but they do not follow common graphic novel format. As in pane to pane comic style.

They are in standard novella format, with some nice artwork included.

Very cool as they get you more 'inside' D's head.

ittokaos
04-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Like History's Strongest disciple, someone has probably already found out that I would like it and therefore banned its official licensing in the US :(

Check out www.onemanga.com

They have the translated version of the manga there(as well as many others). It's pretty good. I have been reading it at work.

Lucas
04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Check out www.onemanga.com

They have the translated version of the manga there(as well as many others). It's pretty good. I have been reading it at work.

wow, nice link. You just might get me in trouble at work. ;)

SevenStar
04-20-2008, 12:33 PM

I did some checking... it wasn't based on volcano high - the two just have similarities, just as both share similarities to Real Bout High. there is a sequel to rival schools though, called project justice.

SevenStar
05-01-2008, 09:21 AM
it's not martial arts related, but have any of you seen paprika?

冠木侍
05-01-2008, 11:28 AM
it's not martial arts related, but have any of you seen paprika?

Satoshi Kon is good at messing with your mind! I've seen it once but I need to watch it again so I will be able to understand it better. It was a bit overwhelming imho.

冠木侍
05-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Ok, I haven't gone back to watch Paprika yet but something else has caught my attention at the moment.

Anyone here every see the animated series Legend of Condor Hero. I'm a little bit halfway through the series and I am enjoying it.

It is a good animated depiction of CMA. The story takes place after the original Legend of Condor Heroes (which i have not had the pleasure of watching yet). Even so, it was interesting enough for me to take time out to view it. I had known about it for a while but only recently got a chance to see it.

Zenshiite
05-19-2008, 04:12 PM
You mean the one based on Return of the Condor Heroes(The Legendary Couple)???

Saw it, was a bit disappionted with the animation at times.

You were talking about KITE a while back... you talking about the ultraviolent but "clean" version or the ultraviolent with extremely underage sex version?

冠木侍
05-19-2008, 05:36 PM
You mean the one based on Return of the Condor Heroes(The Legendary Couple)???

I'm not sure which. I had heard about this show a while back but only recently got to see some of it. That animation is based on the novel by Louis Cha 9 (according to the dvd info). There was some stuff made before this and I will have to locate that when I finish with this series.

Saw it, was a bit disappionted with the animation at times.

I have my ideas about what is good animation and yes, this was not exactly the best. I'm sure the production values weren't that high but as far as content goes, I'm actually good in that department. I read that there was a lot left out in that adaptation (as with most adaptations). I like the options for the Chinese language though. It's funny, depending on what language you pick, the opening theme is different. The Japanese version I have grown quite accustomed to at th moment.

You were talking about KITE a while back... you talking about the ultraviolent but "clean" version or the ultraviolent with extremely underage sex version?

I saw the domestic UNCUT version. I believe it to be the most complete version out there so it was probably the opposite of the "clean" version. It has been a while though. I'll have to dig it up one of these days.

I actually remember more about Mezzo Forte than Kite. Same director but I Kite's scenes of violence were more intense.

What's up? I think both versions are available. What do you think of this one?

.................................................. .........

冠木侍
05-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm way behind on the series eps but I managed to get my hands on the movie. All in al, not bad. Naruto I thought was always cool and I am actually trying to get all the uncut episodes as they are released.

Not epic (like the first Tenchi Muyo movie) but a nice little diversion for fans.

Zenshiite
05-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Would you prefer a fan sub of Naruto? www.narutoget.com

It's got it all. Up to day on Shippuden and all the 9 seasons of Naruto uncut, in Japanese and subbed. As well as all 4 movies. That's right, 4. 3 Naruto, one Naruto Shippuden.

冠木侍
05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
How did you know I was a sub fan!?

All kidding aside though, I actually don't watch that many fan subs (Maybe I should). You could say I am one of those rare people that actually buys their anime (well I used to buy a lot).

But I will keep the link you sent me handy...thank you. I didn't realize there was so much that was released. Very nice.

Zenshiite
05-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah dude. I'll caution you this... Seasons 6-9 are mostly filler between the manga's 3 year jump. Even then, it's within the immediate aftermath of the jumping off point in the manga. I decided to skip them because they don't advance the plot.

Plus, quite frankly, I find this show way more enjoyable and tolerable in Japanese. The voice of Naruto in english is crazy annoying. My wife hates the Cartoon Network episodes and can't stand to be in the room when I was watching them... she doesn't mind the Japanese.

doug maverick
05-28-2008, 07:59 PM
i like the manga way better then the anime. the story is just more compelling and juicy. plus things happen faster in the manga then they do in the anime.

冠木侍
05-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Usually that is what I hear. But Manga can get costly. I primarily listen to subs because my ears are accustomed to hearing the Japanese (even though I am not totally fluent. The manga would be great for my Kanji reading though....

冠木侍
05-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Yeah dude. I'll caution you this... Seasons 6-9 are mostly filler between the manga's 3 year jump. Even then, it's within the immediate aftermath of the jumping off point in the manga. I decided to skip them because they don't advance the plot.

Plus, quite frankly, I find this show way more enjoyable and tolerable in Japanese. The voice of Naruto in english is crazy annoying. My wife hates the Cartoon Network episodes and can't stand to be in the room when I was watching them... she doesn't mind the Japanese.

Thanks for the warning. I'll have to make time for filler episodes, which seems to be a common criticism of this series. To me, the show sounds natural in Japanese because I have had some experience with the language. Not only out of respect for the artistic integrity, it is now just a personal preference.

Thanks again. To each their own, right? ;)

SimonM
06-03-2008, 09:18 AM
1: Dragon Ball Z

That is all.

I don't really watch Anime at all but I've had a soft spot for this seires since I was a teenager.

冠木侍
06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
1: Dragon Ball Z

That is all.

I don't really watch Anime at all but I've had a soft spot for this seires since I was a teenager.

That's cool. I've always liked that show as well, ever since I first saw it during my teenage years. Very interesting interpretation (albeit very loosely) of the legend of the Monkey King.

What I also like, maybe a little better, is the original ドラガンバ一ル. Slower paced compared with it's predecessor but still a great story..

冠木侍
06-08-2008, 06:20 PM

So, this one has been on my list for a while. The standalone movie is great. But the series Baki the Grappler is just so freakin' awesome. I thought it might of been some cheap, rushed show that was trying to capitalize on the movie. But after watching most of it (I'm on disc 8 or 9 now), I am just blown away. It is one of the best fighting/combat based anime that I have come across. Although, some of the martial art styles featured are obviously ficticious and over-the-top, I find that they did a good job incorporating the so-so storyline.

It seemed like the show was sort of a prequel to the movie because they used the scenario in the OVA as an arc in the series and the transition was seemless in my opinion. It made sense, the events leading up to the tournament and the stuff that happens afterwards is just so cool to watch.

If you like fighting or like to watch it, this is a good one.

Second season? Can we get some confirmation on this?

冠木侍
06-20-2008, 06:36 PM
So I finished this series up recently. Like I wrote earlier, I liked the story and the direction that it was headed in. Nearing the end, it got mor e interesting.

Yeah, more fighting and the such but there were developments. Baki Hanma is kind of pushed out of the limelight for a bit but then he comes back. The surprise that takes place before the end match was cool but it didn't seem plausible. But that led into another arc that would've made a great standalone series itself...all about Yujiro.

The final episode was great. It left me wanting more...

What are you all watching now?

冠木侍
06-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Not in the realm of martial arts (didn't know before i watched) but it has it's situational comedies and off-beat dialogue and characters to hold it down. I thought it was going to be one of those typical high school brawler type stories...was i wrong! It was misleading in the first episode but I think I get it now. You really have to pay attention to the dialogue (subtitles for those like me) in order to fully enjoy this show.

冠木侍
07-04-2008, 05:30 PM
About to start another one. One that I had caught a glimpse of on an Independent Channel...BASILISK. Oh man, I'm excited about this one. Looked awesome from the little that I saw.

冠木侍
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Excellent series. For those of you who were Ninja Scroll (Jubei Ninpocho) fans, you will love this.

Great action, nice story and a cast of characters that are all individuals. Some of the Ninpou abilities were ridiculously awesome and just ridiculous. You can judge for yourselves.

After watching this, watch the live action adaptation...Shinobi: Heart Under Blade. They did a nice job with that one as well.

Lucas
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
sorry if it was mentioned already

Afro Samurai.

Very good art.

its an interesting one, Samuel Jackson is the main characters voice.

its a setting like traditional period japan, but with cell phones and hip gangsta lingo. its pretty interesting.

but the art is very good, violent, graphic and well, gangsta

doug maverick
11-05-2008, 01:42 PM
can't wait for the afro samurai season 2 to drop. trailer looks dope

Lucas
11-05-2008, 03:07 PM
same here. this one caught me by suprise too, i had no idea it existed till i was at a friends house and he put it on.

i was kind of blown away.

冠木侍
11-07-2008, 04:40 AM
sorry if it was mentioned already

Afro Samurai.

Very good art.

its an interesting one, Samuel Jackson is the main characters voice.

its a setting like traditional period japan, but with cell phones and hip gangsta lingo. its pretty interesting.

but the art is very good, violent, graphic and well, gangsta

This is on my list of things to watch. I'm hoping for a Japanese version one day.

Lucas
11-21-2008, 01:15 PM
not sure if this was mentioned yet, but i just watched this last night, and frankly, i was quite impressed.

Karas: The Prophecy

for the style of anime i like, favs being things like ghost in the shell, ninja scroll, akira, M.D. Geist, Fist of the North Star...other anime similar, this one is a must see.

the opening scene alone is worth watching this one.

be prepared for stunning digital animation wonderfully blended with standard high quality animation.

doug maverick
12-18-2008, 04:34 AM
this is my new favorite anime, i was up on it last year but i only watched the first ep and left it alone and then i happen to see it on showtime in english and it resparked my interest and got the japanese version with sups, and fell in love with this series so much that i bought the english version and much to my surprise the english version blew the japanese version out of the water, in terms of dialogue. i find alot of the english version of animes have bad flow in terms of dialogue but this one was excellent. this show is exactly like cowboy bebop really. except that jet is black, spike and faye are merged as a crazy ass chinese girl, ed is a jewish hacker guy, and then theres the main character rock. i really like this one and recommend it.

冠木侍
12-18-2008, 06:18 PM
not sure if this was mentioned yet, but i just watched this last night, and frankly, i was quite impressed.

Karas: The Prophecy

for the style of anime i like, favs being things like ghost in the shell, ninja scroll, akira, M.D. Geist, Fist of the North Star...other anime similar, this one is a must see.

the opening scene alone is worth watching this one.

be prepared for stunning digital animation wonderfully blended with standard high quality animation.

Lucas, check the sequal when you have time.

this is my new favorite anime, i was up on it last year but i only watched the first ep and left it alone and then i happen to see it on showtime in english and it resparked my interest and got the japanese version with sups, and fell in love with this series so much that i bought the english version and much to my surprise the english version blew the japanese version out of the water, in terms of dialogue. i find alot of the english version of animes have bad flow in terms of dialogue but this one was excellent. this show is exactly like cowboy bebop really. except that jet is black, spike and faye are merged as a crazy ass chinese girl, ed is a jewish hacker guy, and then theres the main character rock. i really like this one and recommend it.

Wow, you keep some vampire like hours you do Doug.

I've not seen that anime yet but still find it difficult to believe that the English dub out performs the original Japanese dialogue. I'm not here to argue about sub V dub because this isn't anime forum and we aren't bickering teens. I'm usually a sub only person as I stopped watching anime on tv because it is all dubbed.

But this one is going on my list dude. Thanks for the feedback man.

doug maverick
12-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Lucas, check the sequal when you have time.

Wow, you keep some vampire like hours you do Doug.

I've not seen that anime yet but still find it difficult to believe that the English dub out performs the original Japanese dialogue. I'm not here to argue about sub V dub because this isn't anime forum and we aren't bickering teens. I'm usually a sub only person as I stopped watching anime on tv because it is all dubbed.

But this one is going on my list dude. Thanks for the feedback man.

im the same as you chinese character guy,lol. but im telling you watch both, you will become a believer. i mean this is an anime that is meant to be in english, if you know what i mean. the dialogue screams for it, and in fact they actually do speak english in later eps. besides that there is actually only one japanese character and thats rock. revy is chinese from new york but she is supposed to be straight up ABC and only speaks english same for the onther characters. anyway check it out.

doug maverick
12-20-2008, 10:47 PM
as for the hours i keep. well i was up working on a script for an ad agency(well several scripts actually) and took a break to come on kfm.com.

X_plosion
12-21-2008, 07:51 AM
In the Giant Robot genre of Anime, some robot pilots are practitioners of Japanese Martial Arts:

Off the top of my head:

1. Voltes V - Early on in the series, Daigoro (Big Bert) is seen practicing with a bo.

2. Tosho Daimos - Richard is a Karateka who's able to use his skills through the Daimos robot

3. Go Lion - The Space Explorers are Judoka. In one episode, they conduct a training session for Princess Allura

Lucas
01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=冠木侍;901970]Lucas, check the sequal when you have time.

[QUOTE]

Will do. I'll put that in my netflix que.

On a side note, I just re-watched Final Fantasy: Advent Children.

I forgot how stunning that movie really is. And the action, oh boy the action is just so super cool.

on the subject of sub v dub. I generally like ( and this is double for live action ) subtitles. I enjoy the experience of what the original piece was put together as. Such as the people selected for the characters were done so for a reason. Ive just found that the emotion of the original actors/voice actors, sometimes is changed or lost in a dubbing. (sorry to open the can of worms) hehe

冠木侍
01-08-2009, 07:55 PM
im the same as you chinese character guy,lol. but im telling you watch both, you will become a believer. i mean this is an anime that is meant to be in english, if you know what i mean. the dialogue screams for it, and in fact they actually do speak english in later eps. besides that there is actually only one japanese character and thats rock. revy is chinese from new york but she is supposed to be straight up ABC and only speaks english same for the onther characters. anyway check it out.

Haha. It looks like we may have similar hours but who knows.
Anyhow, it'll be one of the series I watch for 2009.

as for the hours i keep. well i was up working on a script for an ad agency(well several scripts actually) and took a break to come on kfm.com.

Staying up late messes up your schedule buddy. ;) Then when it comes time to train, you just don't feel up to it. But deadlines are important.

Will do. I'll put that in my netflix que.

On a side note, I just re-watched Final Fantasy: Advent Children.

I forgot how stunning that movie really is. And the action, oh boy the action is just so super cool.

on the subject of sub v dub. I generally like ( and this is double for live action ) subtitles. I enjoy the experience of what the original piece was put together as. Such as the people selected for the characters were done so for a reason. Ive just found that the emotion of the original actors/voice actors, sometimes is changed or lost in a dubbing. (sorry to open the can of worms) hehe

It's a cool sequel. But I need to watch both again. Very underrated in my opinion (Karas).

FFVII: Advent Children is a great piece of work. Especially for fans of the game, it was what people have been waiting for since the game was released.

There are those that argue that The Spirits Within had better CGI but it's all relative. It's just that I didn't see where it all fit and I know that Doug will back me on this fact; Squaresoft had lost major money on that film. Major money.

Advent Children is one of those ones that have a lot of replay value but I just wished the ending wasn't so abrupt.

I studied Japanese and every anime I watch is a learning tool/review for me. There is also the original artistic integrity to consider and dubs were created for marketing purposes. Now people expect them and the Dub V Sub wars shall continue on beyond both our lifetimes. :D

Lucas
01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
i was suprised i had never heard of karas until i found it on netflix randomly, its quite stunning.

ya i was confused when i saw spirits within at the theatre. it was also a bit of a darker movie, visually. final fantasy (games) had always impressed me with the use of light colors to make everything so dreamy and bright.

advent children was very good in regards to matching the spirit of the game series. i do wish the movie was twice as long though.

冠木侍
01-08-2009, 11:27 PM
There is a new series out for fans of the old.

Check HERE (http://www.animenation.net/blog/2008/09/16/new-hajime-no-ippo-tv-anime-planned/)

And I hear that people are finding it through bit torrents and have seen the first episode already. I don't really mess with all that stuff.

Besides, I need to watch the first series. :cool:

brothernumber9
01-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I watched the first episode of the new ippo series. It was highly viewed on youtube, which hopefully will show that it's become more popular than ever. I'm siced that they picked the anime back up. I've been reading the scanslated manga the whole time while they stopped. I thought they were gonna start with the Date' - Martinez rematch, but I guess not.
Can't wait for the next episode.

And for what it's worth, the recent episodes of Shippuuden were good too.
I hope they pick back up the Baki anime too. Yujiro Hanma is one of my faviorite characters ever.

冠木侍
01-11-2009, 09:55 AM
i was suprised i had never heard of karas until i found it on netflix randomly, its quite stunning.

ya i was confused when i saw spirits within at the theatre. it was also a bit of a darker movie, visually. final fantasy (games) had always impressed me with the use of light colors to make everything so dreamy and bright.

advent children was very good in regards to matching the spirit of the game series. i do wish the movie was twice as long though.

Karas is a keeper. See if you can find it at your local movie store.

Spirits Within....I know not which story arc for FF they used. It was very dark and the story was veered differently than the games (at least the ones I played).

Advent Children I think had better CGI and another plus was that it left off where FFVII ended. All in all, I think it a great anime that I am glad to have in my collection. The movie could/should have been longer but we were all waiting so long for it to be released in the first place.

I watched the first episode of the new ippo series. It was highly viewed on youtube, which hopefully will show that it's become more popular than ever. I'm siced that they picked the anime back up. I've been reading the scanslated manga the whole time while they stopped. I thought they were gonna start with the Date' - Martinez rematch, but I guess not.
Can't wait for the next episode.

And for what it's worth, the recent episodes of Shippuuden were good too.
I hope they pick back up the Baki anime too. Yujiro Hanma is one of my faviorite characters ever.

I see. You have already jumped the gun. It's all good. I need to watch the first series (about 24 hours worth of episodes) before I delve into this new one. If it's anything like BAKI, I know I will enjoy it.

Shippuden? I'm still attempting to catch up with the series...so it will be a while before I get to shippuden. As a side note, I find that there seems to be some sort of vocal minority that doesn't like Naruto....for whatever reason. I'm not going to try and understand why because the Internet is full of people with misguided ideals (at least different from my own personal ones). It is an enjoyable series but the only problem I have is finding time to watch them (as they will all eventually be released).

**I still need to break out Avatar before M. Nights version gets released. :p

brothernumber9
01-12-2009, 06:25 AM
I think since Naruto became so popular with little kids, and punk teens, that the "cool" crowd wants to disown it. I still like both the anime and the manga.

Hajime no ippo is my favorite. Once you get sucked in, you will have no choice but to watch all of them. There are a few filler and silly type episodes mixed in, but by and large the series is all build up to fights and the fights themselves. The only way I can draw parallels to Baki is that the main character picks up a new skill so to speak, leading up to each fight. And each opponent has some specialty or quirk that needs to be specifically addressed.
The core characters are what make the anime, it's really funny. Just as a side note, eventhough I do not know any Japanese, I simply cannot watch the english dubbed episodes. The voice-overs do not match the characters at all and drive me crazy. I have to watch it in Japanese with subs.

SimonM
01-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Watching anime videos is never cool.

Let's not fool ourselves people. By just contributing to this thread, positively or negatively, we have marked ourselves as geeks.

Please use the following scale to determine the extent of the geekfection:

1) You came onto this thread to mock and / or deride anime: give yourself 1 point for caring.

2) You came onto this thread to celebrate particularly well drawn martial arts in an anime series you don't generally watch: 1 point.

3) You came onto this thread to talk about an anime you really like that has martial arts in it: 5 points.

4) You think anyone who is cool likes anime: 7 points.

5) You watch DBZ: 5 points.

6a) You intend to watch the DBZ live action movie: 6 points. b) On opening night: 10 points.

7) You think that Keanu Reeves doesn't have the range necessary to play a cartoon character: 10 points.

Rankings:

1-5: Geek.
6-10: Anime Geek.
11-20: Big Anime Geek.
21-30: Otaku (add 3 points if you know what this word means)
31-40: "President of the College Anime Fanclub" level geek.
41-45: Terminal geekdom, contact the CDC lest you become a vector for geekitis.

冠木侍
01-12-2009, 08:25 PM
^The fact that someone took the time to make up that point system shows a certain level of 'Geek' that seems to outshine anyone here on this forum. ;)

Geekitis mucho.

Let's please get back on topic. :)

SimonM
01-13-2009, 09:22 AM
My friend, I am patient 0 for geekitis. ;)

冠木侍
01-14-2009, 10:48 PM
I think since Naruto became so popular with little kids, and punk teens, that the "cool" crowd wants to disown it. I still like both the anime and the manga.

Hajime no ippo is my favorite. Once you get sucked in, you will have no choice but to watch all of them. There are a few filler and silly type episodes mixed in, but by and large the series is all build up to fights and the fights themselves. The only way I can draw parallels to Baki is that the main character picks up a new skill so to speak, leading up to each fight. And each opponent has some specialty or quirk that needs to be specifically addressed.
The core characters are what make the anime, it's really funny. Just as a side note, eventhough I do not know any Japanese, I simply cannot watch the english dubbed episodes. The voice-overs do not match the characters at all and drive me crazy. I have to watch it in Japanese with subs.

The thing I find funny about Naruto is that there is a vocal minority of anime fans that seem to shun it. Anyone who likes it is automatically a 'Narutard' or some other made up word. Lame if you ask me.

Same with DBZ. There are people who will go as far as saying that they don't consider it anime. My policy is to each their own but take the bs somewhere else.

I got Hajime and will probably start it soon.
Baki was a wild ride. There was a viable plot in the beginning and then it was just fighting, action and then more fighting with some dialogue thrown in. I had no problems with that. :) I'm sure if someone wanted to critically bash it they could attack it from that angle but it's still an awesome series in my book. Even the movie was great. I wish it could have been longer. It was cool how they tied the movie in with the series and gave the 'chord cutter' a little more background.

The episode with the father and his jungle warefare background would have been a good jumping off point for another series.

Subs are only marketing tools. Even for HK and Chinese movies, it's the original Cantonese or Mandarin. I'm trying hard not to have this debate...:cool:

My friend, I am patient 0 for geekitis. ;)

Of course, of course. No love nor respect lost here brother. For a split second, it seemed like you were taking a jab at the thread starter though. ;)

SimonM
01-15-2009, 07:03 AM
No, just launching a (very geeky) joke off of brothernumber9's assertation that cool anime fans don't like Naruto.

I'd also like to point out that "cool" anime fans frequently laud Evangelion as one of the greatest works of art in any medium despite the fact that it is a disorganized tangle of thematic spaghetti with an ending that meanders so far into surrealism as to be almost without any cohesive meaning.

Considering that I am largely participating in the thread for yucks, like DBZ and intend to watch the DBZ live action movie (but NOT on opening night) I'd garner 12 points by the rating system I devised... which makes me, by my own standard, pretty **** geeky. ;)

Then again, I'm a 30 year old aspiring novelist who watches cartoons, collects swords and does martial arts - that's pretty geeky. ;)

GeneChing
03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
It's Miike, so it's worthy of attention. Anyone else see Zebraman (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=908127&postcount=1)?

Premiere of 'Yatterman' film held in Tokyo (http://www.japantoday.com/category/entertainment/view/premiere-of-yatterman-film-held-in-tokyo)
Saturday 28th February, 05:04 AM JST
TOKYO —

The Japan premiere of a live-action film version of ‘‘Yatterman,’’ a popular Japanese animated television series from the 1970s, was held this week in Tokyo. Actress Kyoko Fukada, 26, and actor and member of pop group Arashi Sho Sakurai, 27, appeared on stage to introduce the film.

Fukada, who plays bad girl Doronjo in a sexy bondage costume, said, “We discussed the costume many times. I was very happy that we finally got the ideal one, though I had to lose weight to fit into it.”

Directed by Takashi Miike, the movie pits Gan-chan, son of a famous toy designer and ‘‘Yatterman No. 1,’’ and his girlfriend Ai-chan, ‘‘Yatterman No. 2,’’ against a trio of villains who are trying to locate a mysterious stone known as the ‘‘Dokuro (Skull) Stone,’’ which is currently split apart. The duo’s large dog-shaped robot, ‘‘Yatter-Wan,’’ battles with robots operated by the villains.

The movie opens in Japan on March 7.

冠木侍
06-16-2009, 12:33 AM
It's been a while since anyone's posted here.

I've finished all of Avatar recently and it just blew me away. It makes trying to finish Naruto a bit difficult...as the scale of Avatar was so grand; the story very entertaining, the characters believable and the whole things was just a great phenomenon.

I did not realize Lokhopkuen provided the martial arts inspiration used for the different bending techniques (yeah, I only realized it when someone addressed him by his real name on this forum...sue me). It's an

Other stuff...I had Shura No Toki that I never got to and finished that as well. It started out great but then I sort of lost interest in what was going on and drudged through to the end.

I came upon a jewel named 5 Centimeters Per Second that I am glad I was able to watch. Not martial arts related per say, but something any fan would enjoy. Watch it with a female friend.

Went through the first season of Afro Samurai and that was a cool ride. I had to get past that it was only in English but Mr. Jackson's coolness made the experience very much tolerable.

Anyone watch anything of interest or not recently? It would be nice to hear thoughts.

Shaolinlueb
06-16-2009, 12:06 PM
naruto is going to lag along with the current sasuke story arc. when it switches back to naruto vs pein it should be awesome again.

doug maverick
06-16-2009, 01:09 PM
pein is dead remember....

Lucas
06-16-2009, 02:27 PM
ever watch M. D. Geist?

not really martial arts, in the traditional sense, but definately some martial action with this Anime. Its another one that falls into the oldy but goody section.

something about a genetically engineered super human with the perfect reaction to nearly every combat situation imaginable that makes ya go, mmmmmm

冠木侍
06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
ever watch M. D. Geist?

not really martial arts, in the traditional sense, but definately some martial action with this Anime. Its another one that falls into the oldy but goody section.

something about a genetically engineered super human with the perfect reaction to nearly every combat situation imaginable that makes ya go, mmmmmm

One of the classics M.D. Geist is. It gets a bad rap for the quality of animation and being dated. The sequel I remember watching...but the first one did leave an impact.

Cashan, Robot Hunter was one that I had watched long time ago.

The 8 Man After oVa was good except that the only one available now is a dubbed one.

Tensei85
06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Zebraman was pretty cool...

I also agree with the 1st thread:
史上最強の弟子ケンイチ History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi was awesome!

Aside from those:

The obvious-

Bleach & Naruto are my favorites and the old school Dragon Ball Z but you can't really say those are purely martial arts anime's.

Ranma 1/2 is pretty cool.

Fist of the North Star

X

Samurai Deeper Kyo

Shura no toki

Grappler Baki

Saiyuki

Karas

The Chinese are bringing out some pretty cool anime's as well:

Storm Riders is definitely one of the best!

Just some of my fav's sorry if I posted a lot of the same series as others. (didn't check)

AdrianK
06-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Hajime No Ippo is an incredible anime about boxing, which is of course a martial art. They go pretty in depth into techniques, strategies and training methods too. Great anime with a lot of heart.

Shaolinlueb
06-19-2009, 12:39 PM
pein is dead remember....

not in the anime ;)

Zenshiite
06-20-2009, 09:35 PM
naruto is going to lag along with the current sasuke story arc. when it switches back to naruto vs pein it should be awesome again.

I decided to stop watching the anime and switched entirely to the manga. Great stuff.

doug maverick
06-21-2009, 02:05 AM
same here the naruto manga is ten times better then the anime for some reason. it moves at a better pace.

gunglihchuan
06-21-2009, 10:17 AM
The Japanese animated series Shurato is about two best friends that study kung fu with the same sifu from a young age. I would say that they were about 6 when they started. They are about 17 when the story starts.

During a kung fu tournament both main characters Shurato and Guy are abducted by the Hindu gods to fight for them.

Shurato is headstrong and outgoing while Guy is self disciplined and wise. Shurato’s favorite weapon is the staff while Guy is seen demonstrating the double straight swords.

Guy’s personality is erased and he is under the direct control of the Indura the god that in this story is trying to become head of his pantheon. He is using Guy to fight Shurato and the well intentioned Gods.

The animation is quite good but the Chinese martial arts and CMA weapons are mostly used only in flashback scenes. In present time they use mystical armor and weapons that are not directly related to CMA.

Lucas
06-22-2009, 09:35 AM
same here the naruto manga is ten times better then the anime for some reason. it moves at a better pace.

the same thing happened to me with the Kenshin series. the manga was WAAAYYY better

brothernumber9
06-22-2009, 11:51 AM
All I can say is Hajime no Ippo New Challenger is off the hook right now. I just watched ep 24 and I am motivated to go train and fight right now. In ten min or so it willl likely pass. But for a cartoon to get me this amped, all I can say is you guys owe it to yourself to watch it. It's the most motivating anime I've ever watched.

And the manga is great.

Lucas
06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
you're not the first MAist to recommend that one to me.

ill have to get a hold of it

GeneChing
07-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Is there a Chinese word for anime?

New film release: 'McDull Wudang' (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/showbiz/2009-07/09/content_8400267.htm)
(CRI) Updated: 2009-07-09 08:58

Po, the unlikely "Kung Fu Panda" is not the only kung-fu student from the animal world. In the limelight this summer is the unsophisticated, yet upbeat piggy McDull. Being an underdog just like Po, how does McDull cope with his challenges?

Find the answer in the animated film "McDull Wudang", due out in Chinese mainland theaters on July 24.

The film is the fourth installment of the McDull movie series, which debuted in 2001 with the light-hearted film "My Life as McDull".

Unlike in previous films, McDull leaves his home in Hong Kong this summer for the Wudang Mountains on the mainland, where his mother wants him to learn Tai Chi. However McDull apparently finds more fun hanging out with his new friends. That is until he discovers a big secret which becomes his learning motive.

McDull was first created as a comic book character by Hong Kong cartoonist Alice Mak and her writer husband Brian Tse. Books depicting the life of the unwise yet honest piglet have made McDull a local phenomenon and spawned film, TV and music spin-offs.

"McDull Wudang" (麦兜响当当)
Director: Brian Tse
Written by: Brian Tse, Alice Mak
Genre: Animation/Comedy
Release Date (Chinese mainland): July 24, 2009

aktionmancer
07-22-2009, 12:37 PM
It's been a while since anyone's posted here.

I've finished all of Avatar recently and it just blew me away. It makes trying to finish Naruto a bit difficult...as the scale of Avatar was so grand; the story very entertaining, the characters believable and the whole things was just a great phenomenon.

has anyone else here watched Avatar??

i think every TCMA who enjoys anime NEEDS to watch this series.

in the show, there are people who have the ability to "bend" that is manipulate the elements (earth, water, wind, fire).

each of the elemental benders use a corresponding TCMA style to bend!
its frigging amazing!

earth uses Hung Gar- deep roots, hard stances
water uses Tai Chi - obviously
wind- Ba Gua- comes from everywhere, very evasive
fire- northern shaolin - large movements, lots of jumping, fluidity

plus, theres a blind chick who uses her feet to "see" and earth bend using Chu Gar Preying Mantis.

too good, too good.

they are making a movie of it too, but im not holding my breath on that one.

GeneChing
08-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Has anyone seen any of this at all?

McDull back with kungfu in new Hong Kong film (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-08/08/content_11848692.htm)
www.chinaview.cn 2009-08-08 20:55:38

HONG KONG, Aug. 8 (Xinhua) -- McDull, the popular Hong Kong cartoon character that enjoys worldwide popularity, came back to Hong Kong a kungfu student on Saturday with the home premiere of a new film, McDull Kungfu Ding Ding Dong.

The latest episode of the McDull series tells of the experience of McDull training and playing truant as a kungfu student at a school on the Chinese mainland. It was produced by Hong Kong and mainland film workers and artists, with partial funding support from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government.

About 3.6 million HK dollars (464,432 U.S. dollars) of the film's production budget was the Film Development Fund, a financing scheme established under the Film Development Council.

The film, first released on the mainland on July 24, has recorded a total box office receipts of more than 63 million yuan (9.22 million U.S. dollars), said Duncan Pescod, Permanent Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development of the HKSAR government.

The case showed that the scheme, which had been launched in October 2007, with 13 film production financing applications approved so far, played a positive role in the continued development of the local film industry, Pescod said.

GeneChing
03-23-2010, 09:54 AM
tai chi card skills. :rolleyes:

4Kids To Debut Tai Chi Chasers at MIPTV 2010 (http://www.awn.com/news/television/4kids-debut-tai-chi-chasers-miptv-2010)
By Rick DeMott | Monday, March 22, 2010 at 11:12 am | AWN News

NEW YORK (March 22, 2010) – 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE), a global provider of children's entertainment, has set MIP-TV 2010 to offer for license up to 39 all-new half-hour episodes of “Tai Chi Chasers,” a popular fantasy adventure series, it was announced today by Brian Lacey, Executive Vice President, International.

“Tai Chi Chasers” represents the newest original Japanese animé kids’ series, which 4Kids Entertainment will adapt and launch worldwide (excluding Asia) since the 2008 debut of its successful “Dinosaur King” series, now broadcast in over 90 countries.

A distinctive combination of traditional cel and CGI animation, “Tai Chi Chasers” focuses on Rai, a young orphan, shocked to discover he’s a secret descendent of the Tigeroids: an ancient race of peaceful beings locked in struggle with the ruthless and cunning Dragonoids. In a parallel universe called Suhn, the Tigeroids and Dragonoids are locked in an age-old race to recover 500 lost tai chi symbols. Whoever recovers these precious and potent symbols will possess the ultimate power to rule their realm…and destroy their enemies. Rai must now hone his innate tai chi card skills to fight the Dragonoids, find the lost symbols and battle to become one of the champion Tai Chi Chasers.

“Tai Chi Chasers” will be available for airing in the fourth quarter of 2011 in all markets excluding Asia.

“In this competitive global TV market, we understand the broadcasters’ need to offer compelling kids’ programming that sets them apart,” said Lacey. “From ‘Pokémon’ to ‘Yu-Gi-Oh!” and “Dinosaur King”’ 4Kids has established a solid track record of filling that need over the past decade, and we’re confident that ‘Tai Chi Chasers’ will continue in this successful tradition.”

At MIP-TV, 4Kids Entertainment will be located at booth # R32.24.

About 4Kids Entertainment, Inc.
With U.S. headquarters in New York City, regional offices for its trading card business in San Diego, California and international offices in London, 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE) is a global organization devoted to the creation, development, production, broadcasting, distribution, licensing and manufacturing of children’s entertainment products.

Through its subsidiaries, 4Kids produces animated television series and films, distributes 4Kids’ produced or licensed animated television series for the domestic and international television and home video markets, licenses merchandising rights worldwide to 4Kids’ owned or represented properties, operates Web sites to support 4Kids’ owned or represented properties, and produces and markets collectible trading card games. Additionally, the Company programs and sells the national advertising time in “TheCW4Kids,” a five-hour Saturday morning block on The CW Television Network.

Additional information is available on the www.4KidsEntertainment.com corporate web site and at the www.4Kids.tv game station site.

ManilaCrane
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
My personal favorite is History's Strongest Disciple, Kenichi. Anime is only 50 episodes, but the manga expands the storyline. Lol even my sifu got addicted to the manga.

ittokaos
03-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Agreed. watch it for free :http://www.animefreak.tv

SevenStar
06-25-2010, 06:36 PM
hajime no ippo

yu yu hakusho

rurouni kenshin

grappler baki

cowboy bebop

naruto

bleach

avatar - yeah, it's amerime, but still...

dbz

samurai champloo

ranma 1/2

If you haven't seen tenjo tenge...check it out.

GeneChing
09-14-2010, 09:31 AM
UK net picks up Kung-Fu toon (http://www.c21media.net/news/detail.asp?area=79&article=57296)

Kung Fu Dino Posse (40x30'), the animated coproduction that unites studios in Korea, Singapore, Germany and Canada, will make its UK debut on CiTV this fall.

"Kung Fu Dino Posse, being a humorous action/adventure series, is a great addition to our library of boy-skewing animation," said Jamila Metran, programme manager at CiTV.

The series follows the adventures of four dinosaurs who had been frozen since the Ice Age and find themselves thawed out in a modern day city. Their prehistoric battle against the forces of evil picks up where it left off millennia ago. The show was created by writer/producer Peter M Lenkov, whose credits include CSI: New York, Hawaii Five-O and 24.

The series is a coproduction between Sunwoo Korea, Sunwoo Singapore, Optix Entertainment and Cookie Jar Entertainment. "Kung Fu Dino Posse is the perfect balance of comedy and action," said Cookie Jar president and chief operating officer, Toper Taylor.
More prehistoric kung fu. Anyone read The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future by Dav Pilkey? It's been on the best seller list for kids books.

Lokhopkuen
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Samurai Champloos one of my all time favorites:D

Lokhopkuen
09-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Wow that sounds really cool I think I'll check it out:D

has anyone else here watched Avatar??

i think every TCMA who enjoys anime NEEDS to watch this series.

in the show, there are people who have the ability to "bend" that is manipulate the elements (earth, water, wind, fire).

each of the elemental benders use a corresponding TCMA style to bend!
its frigging amazing!

earth uses Hung Gar- deep roots, hard stances
water uses Tai Chi - obviously
wind- Ba Gua- comes from everywhere, very evasive
fire- northern shaolin - large movements, lots of jumping, fluidity

plus, theres a blind chick who uses her feet to "see" and earth bend using Chu Gar Preying Mantis.

too good, too good.

they are making a movie of it too, but im not holding my breath on that one.

Kansuke
09-17-2010, 01:01 AM
What about Dame Oyaji? Brutal stuff...

Zenshiite
09-18-2010, 08:14 AM
More prehistoric kung fu. Anyone read The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future by Dav Pilkey? It's been on the best seller list for kids books.

I've been wanting to get this one for my son. He loves Captain Underpants and Super Diaper Baby by Pilkey, so I'm sure he'll love Ook and Gluk.

GeneChing
09-01-2011, 09:46 AM
See post 154 above (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1001286#post1001286).

Tai Chi Chasers' 1st 2 Episodes Posted Before U.S. TV Debut (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-31/tai-chi-chasers-1st-2-episodes-posted-before-u.s-tv-debut)
posted on 2011-08-31 13:35 EDT
4Kids' 1st new Japanese-animated kids' license in 4 years to air on September 9

http://cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/fit400x400/cms/news/33432/taichi_img.jpg

4Kids Entertainment's 4KidsTV.com website began streaming the first two episodes from the Japanese/Korean animated series Tai Chi Chasers (Tai Chi Senjimon) in the United States, just over a week before the show's American broadcast premiere on September 9. 4Kids describes the story of the 39-episode series as follows:

After a strange and devastating attack on his home, a young boy named Rai is shocked to discover he's a secret descendent of the Tigeroids: an ancient race of peaceful beings locked in a struggle with the ruthless and cunning Dragonoids. In a parallel universe called Suhn, the Tigeroids and Dragonoids are battling furiously to recover 500 lost tai chi characters. Whoever retrieves these precious and potent symbols will possess the ultimate power to rule their realm…and destroy their enemies. As Rai hones his innate tai chi skills to fight the Dragonoids, he must find the lost tai chi and battle to become one of the champion Tai Chi Chasers!

The veteran Japanese studio Toei Animation and the Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) co-produced the series with traditional cel animation and computer graphics. It premiered on Korean television in 2007. Tai Chi Chasers is the first Japanese-animated children's series that 4Kids is adapting since it licensed Dinosaur King in 2008.

Image © KBS/Toei Anim./Dongseo Univ./Iconix/JM Anim.

Update: 4Kids will preview an episode of the series on television on Friday, September 9, before the series officially debuts in The CWKids' Saturday lineup on September 17.

STREAMING HERE

Tai Chi Chasers (http://www.4kidstv.com/taichi)

After a strange and devastating attack on his home, a young boy named Rai is shocked to discover he’s a secret descendent of the Tigeroids: an ancient race of peaceful beings locked in a struggle with the ruthless and cunning Dragonoids. In a parallel universe called Suhn, the Tigeroids and Dragonoids are battling furiously to recover 500 lost tai chi characters. Whoever retrieves these precious and potent symbols will possess the ultimate power to rule their realm…and destroy their enemies. As Rai hones his innate tai chi skills to fight the Dragonoids, he must find the lost tai chi and battle to become one of the champion Tai Chi Chasers!

GeneChing
09-21-2016, 08:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZjGe-a0vDQ

sanjuro_ronin
09-21-2016, 09:10 AM
When will this DVD be available?

GeneChing
09-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Looks like it might be hard to get though - about $40+USD and no U.S. distribution yet.

Teaser for "Baki-Dou" OAD Shows Baki's Imaginary Fights (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/09/20-1/teaser-for-baki-dou-oad-shows-bakis-imaginary-fights)
Directed/character designed by Teiichi Takiguchi (Uninhabited Planet Survive!)

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire3/55a37ad91888b83eac9ade1f3db9dea21474422630_large.j pg

Mikikazu Komatsu
September 20, 2016 9:50pm PDT (12 hours ago)

The official website for the 25th anniversary project of Keisuke Itagaki's martial arts-themed manga series Baki today posted a 70-second teaser for the newly-produced OAD (original anime disc) episode based on the ongoing fourth installment Baki-Dou, featuring the protagonist Baki Hanma's training and imaginary fights against the series' main characters (he had an imaginary fight against a giant mantis in the third installment Hanma Baki).

The OAD will be bundled with the 4,190-yen limited edition of the 14th tankobon volume of Baki-Dou to be released on December 6, 2016, and pre-orders will be accepted till October 6. Teiichi Takiguchi (Uninhabited Planet Survive!, The Garden of Sinners 4th chapter) serves as the director and character designer for Telecom Animation Film (Lupin the Third, orange).

Following the first installment Grappler Baki (1991-1999), the second Baki (1995-2005) and the third Hanma Baki (2006-2012), Baki-Dou started its serialization in Akita Shoten's Weekly Shonen Champion in 2014. The story focuses on battles against a clone of Musashi Miyamoto, one of the most famous and strongest
samurai/swordsman in the 16th to 17th century of Japan.

GeneChing
12-05-2017, 07:44 AM
26 installments deep but I'm not familiar with Crayon Shin-chan. :o

Anyone know this one?

Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting in New "Crayon Shin-chan" Film (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/12/04/everybody-was-kung-fu-fighting-in-new-crayon-shin-chan-film)
26th entry in theatrical film series based on Yo****o Usui's gag manga hits theaters in Japan in April of 2018

Paul Chapman
December 04, 2017 10:04am PST (20 hours ago)

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/808faaa2cde134691613ac01887aaf5e1512400440_full.jp g

A new teaser trailer is now available online for Crayon Shin-chan: Burst Serving! Kung Fu Boys ~Ramen Rebellion~, the 26th theatrical film based on Yo****o Usui's gag manga about a vulgar little boy and his friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=525d3JYbLDI

In Crayon Shin-chan: Burst Serving! Kung Fu Boys ~Ramen Rebellion~, Shinnosuke and the gang join their friend Masao in learning the legendary "Puni Puni Fist" martial art, and their rigorous training comes in handy when a bad batch of ramen makes the neighborhood violent.

Crayon Shin-chan: Burst Serving! Kung Fu Boys ~Ramen Rebellion~ is directed by Wataru Takahashi and features animation by Shin-Ei Animation. The film hits theaters in Japan on April 13, 2018.

Source: Anime! Anime!

Jimbo
12-05-2017, 08:42 AM
For me, The Boy and the Beast stands above most MA-related anime films I've seen...mostly for the storyline and the characters (and the high production quality).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifJLWoWv8c&sns=em

GeneChing
12-05-2017, 11:03 AM
For me, The Boy and the Beast stands above most MA-related anime films I've seen...mostly for the storyline and the characters (and the high production quality).

You've recommended that before. Do you know what platform/streaming service carries this?

Jimbo
12-05-2017, 06:38 PM
You've recommended that before. Do you know what platform/streaming service carries this?

Sorry, Gene, I don't know about streaming services or if it's carried by any. I bought the DVD from Amazon.