PDA

View Full Version : Hu Go acupuncture point same as the Laogong?

o
02-22-2001, 10:28 PM
Is the Hu Go acupuncture point the same as the Laogong acupuncture point? Are there more than one type of spelling for the different points? How many different points are there on the hand and what are their names and functions? The Hu Go point is supposed to be on your palm: if you start on the edge between the index finger and thumb and go inwards about the length of your thumb's knuckle, you are supposed to arrrive at the Hu Go point. In an earlier post (in this channel), GLW said that this point can be massaged to aleviate a headache. When I massaged it for 10 minutes, it did work--the headache mostly disappeared. I'm wondering if this Hu Go point is the same as the Laogong point which is supposed to be at the center of your palm, sort of at the lowest spot on the surface. This point is used for emitting qi. Also, if you place these Laogong points from both of your hands together about 1-12 inches apart, you can create a qi ball between your hands if you concentrate. The Laogong is supposed to be a main point and it falls on the pericardium channel and is second to last in the line.

So, I'm wondering are these two points the same? If there truly are two separate points, I hope I was massaging the Hu Go point and not the Laogong point (for the headache) because it seems like they would be so close together. Thanks for any help

woliveri
02-22-2001, 11:19 PM
o,
LaoGong is in the center of your palm and is on
the pericardium channel. HeGe or HeGo (I don't
have my book in front of me) is between the index
finger and thumb on the back side of the hand
(opposite the palm) and resides on the lung
channel.

Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East
By Baird T. Spalding

o
02-23-2001, 01:39 AM
That's strange then, woliveri. For the headache, I did massage the palm side but it still worked. Maybe it was because when I massaged it (with my index finger of the opposing hand), I had the thumb on the back side of the hand in the correct spot...

GLW
02-23-2001, 04:47 AM
You can massage that point from the top or bottom. Area between the thumb and forefinger is not that big, the hand is not that thick, and so hitting it from either sied is possible...however it does tend to work better if you hold the hand plam down, then put the opposite thumb into the area on top of the hand and press in unti you find the point. It is not so far back as the bones ...I sometimes use the thumb on the top and the index finger on the bottom to massage the point.

By being on the lung channel, it connects to...I always screw up on this...I believe the Large intestine channel and the large intesting, Small intestine and San Jiao channels go from the hand up to the head....

woliveri
02-23-2001, 06:14 AM
GLW, you are correct. I just got home and looked
at my Acupunture Reference book.

HeGu is LI-4 (Large Intestine) HeGu meaning "Union
Valley"

Functions: Frees the channels and quickens the connecting vessels; courses wind and resolves the exterior; clears and discharges lung heat; frees gastrointestinal downbearing; relieves pain and quiets the spirit.

Indications: Headache; painful swelling and reddening of the eyes; nosebleed; swelling of the face; sore, swollen throat; hypertonicity of the fingers; pain in the arm; wryness of the eyes and mouth; sweating or absence of it in heat diseases; menstrual block; prolonged labor; dysentery.

Contraindications: This point is contraindicated for pregnant women.

By Baird T. Spalding

o
02-23-2001, 07:25 AM
What is the title of your acupuncture reference guide? I'm just curious. I want to find one. I only have "Qigong Empowerment".

woliveri
02-23-2001, 10:27 PM
It's called Fundamentals of Chinese Acupunture by Ellis-Wiseman-Boss

I got mine at Redwing books.

By Baird T. Spalding