PDA

View Full Version : Qigong and Mealtime

Qiman
02-27-2001, 09:52 PM
What I was taught and what I do is two different things. I was taught to eat one hour before or one hour after Qigong. I find this unrealistic in real life. What about you guys? Dolls too?

Eight Diagram Boxer
02-28-2001, 12:13 AM
Everything I've read or heard says that. The idea is that you shouldn't be practicing generating or circulating chi when you have a full stomach, because your body needs the energy for digestion. Also it is uncomfortable to practice breathing exercises while you have a full stomach. As for after doing chi kung, you're not supposed to eat for an hour to let your chi circulate before you make it digest your food. I'm not as certain on that as I am on the before practice stuff though.

Knowing others is wisdom, Knowing the self is enlightenment- Lao Tzu

origenx
02-28-2001, 01:08 AM
Is this similar to the old wive's tale of not swimming for 30 minutes after you eat? (and why just swimming and not any sport?)

What about s*x? You hear you're not supposed to do qigong like a day before or after s*x? Is this true? Why exactly? I've also heard that you're not supposed to drink alcohol or eat cold things after s*x. Can someone please set the record straight here?

GLW
02-28-2001, 02:53 AM
Not an old wive's tale here...

If you practice when hungry, you will not be able to achieve a state of no thought as easy. It is hard to calm the mind when the stomach is rumbling. It is a distraction.

At advanced stages you can practice through hunger but not as a beginner or intermediate.

As for after a meal, if your stomach is full, it is harder to relax the abdomen and breathe deeply. I have also had doctors recommend resting a bit after a meal - not because of the old swimming thing - but because it helps with digestion. Same here...

Also, you don't want to be too wired or too tired. The real key for Qi Gong practice is to choose a very balanced time and atmosphere...not hungry or full, not tired or wired, not cold or hot, not anxious or lax...and then go about it.

mad taoist
02-28-2001, 06:51 AM
I read in an SAS training book that the whole getting a cramp on a swim on a full stomach is BS....

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

Braden
02-28-2001, 10:33 PM
It's not BS. After you eat, blood is shunted away from all the other parts of your body and directed towards your gastrointestinal system. When you undergo strenuous exercise, your body wants to shunt most of the blood in your body to your muscles. Sending your body conflicting signals is bad.

When you do qigong, you want your body to be balanced. You don't want the blood shunted anywhere in the extreme. Furthermore, you want to be using and paying attention to your abdomen in ways which are hindered if it is full of food.

I do qigong right when I wake up. There's no risk of having just eaten.

The sex thing isn't sex, it's ejaculation. According to qigong theory, ejaculation drains some of the important things you need for what you do during qigong. I think all that should be said here is that it's not good to be ejaculating all the time. That's common sense anyway though.

Cheng oi
10-11-2013, 05:34 AM
I should be doing qigong at all times - even when sleeping