Phil Redmond
12-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Museum of the Moving Image
35 Avenue at 36 Street
Astoria, NY 11106

http://www.movingimage.us/site/calendar/index.html

Urban Dragons: Non-Asian Masters of Chinese Martial Arts
With Kamau Hunter and Jose Figueroa in person
Sunday, December 16, 2:00 p.m. 2007, 70 mins. Video. World Premiere. Directed by Kamau Hunter. Produced by Jose Figueroa and Kamau Hunter. This new documentary surveys the history and changing face of Chinese martial arts in urban America. Following the screening, martial arts masters featured in the film and filmmakers Kamau Hunter and Jose Figueroa will be present for a discussion moderated by series curator Warrington Hudlin.

Program Information
The martial arts film is the world's most popular cinematic genre. There were once at least a half-dozen cinemas in New York City where martial-arts films were shown on the big screen. Alas, the Music Palace, the Sun Sing, the Pagoda, the Rosemary, the Canal Cinema, and the Bijou have all closed their doors. Moving Image is pleased to provide New Yorkers the opportunity to once again see these films on the big screen, showcasing works from China, Japan, Korea, and elsewhere.—

Warrington Hudlin http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0399738/, Guest Curator

Phil Redmond
12-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I'll be one of the Sifus featured in the screening.

35 Avenue at 36 Street
Astoria, NY 11106

Urban Dragons: Black and Latino Masters of Chinese Martial Arts
Sunday, December 16, 2:00 p.m.

2007, 70 mins. Video. World Premiere. Directed by Kamau Hunter. Produced by Jose Figueroa and Kamau Hunter. This new documentary surveys the history and changing face of Chinese martial arts in urban America. Following the screening, African American and Latino martial arts masters featured in the film and filmmakers Kamau Hunter and Jose Figueroa will be present for a discussion moderated by series curator Warrington Hudlin.

Program Information
The martial arts film is the world's most popular cinematic genre. There were once at least a half-dozen cinemas in New York City where martial-arts films were shown on the big screen. Alas, the Music Palace, the Sun Sing, the Pagoda, the Rosemary, the Canal Cinema, and the Bijou have all closed their doors. Moving Image is pleased to provide New Yorkers the opportunity to once again see these films on the big screen, showcasing works from China, Japan, Korea, and elsewhere.

aaron baum
12-13-2007, 03:16 AM
best wishes on the night...wish i was around when the good old days of kung fu cinema nights were in their heyday...ive heard some great stories....

enjoy the red carpet treatment!

aaron

Phil Redmond
12-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Thanks Aaron, it's going to feel funny going to a movie premier and I'm in it . . lol. I had no control over the title but I just wished it could have been any non-Asian martial arts Sifu instead of only black and Latino Sifus. There are many non Asian Sifus that could have been featured. Also, there is supposed to be snow storm Sunday so I'll have to leave NJ earlier than I planned.
btw, I just bragged about your fight when someone sent me an email saying that WC people can't fight. I sent him the clip of you. The guy hasn't said anything else so far ;)
Phil

Phil Redmond
12-13-2007, 06:29 AM
...wish i was around when the good old days of kung fu cinema nights were in their heyday...ive heard some great stories....aaron

One of the scenes in "The Last Dragon" where they are in a Times Square movie theatre is close to how those theatres really were back in the day. They used to show three movies and were open all day. You could come in any time during the movies and watch them over and over until the theatre closed. There were always people in the audience making funny comments aloud during the movie. It was like a community event. It was sad when movie theatres started letting people in only at showing times.

couch
12-13-2007, 06:54 AM
...but I just wished it could have been any non-Asian martial arts Sifu instead of only black and Latino Sifus...
Phil

However, it's still nice to have those population groups featured. It's sad, Phil, that still in this age there is a lot of hatred and racism.

I don't want to get into a big philosophical discussion about it (maybe I already did!), but I think it's a good idea. I also see where you're coming from.

Having moved to NS where there is a large African-Canadian population, I started to learn about the slave-trade more and how many Blacks fleed to Canada for protection. It's always good to learn about the past to not repeat it in the future.

All the best in your premiere! Any chance of it making it to DVD?

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

AmanuJRY
12-13-2007, 07:09 AM
Congrats, Phil....that's cool...:cool:

KPM
12-13-2007, 07:09 AM
That sounds great Phil! Congrats! :)

chusauli
12-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Phil,

That's awesome! You get the recognition you deserve.

For those of you who don't know, Phil is a real oldtimer in WCK. Back when Alan Lamb was teaching in NYC, pretty much fresh from HK, Phil was there. Also when Duncan Leung was in NYC, Phil was there. Phil was also there with Henry Leung, Moy Yat and William Cheung. I bumped into Phil when I was just growing up in the art in NYC, and always admired his dedication to the art!

Awesome achievement! Take your bows, oldtimer!

Askari Hodari
12-13-2007, 07:48 AM
This should be interesting. Congratulations Phil.

I think that this is an important film. There are many African American masters in the Asian martial arts who are unsung heroes. Many of these masters have been instrumental in demonstrating the practicality of these arts.

Kamau Hunter's 52 Hand Blocks documentary is quite interesting as well. Do you know if this one features Tayari Casel?

AH

Ultimatewingchun
12-13-2007, 09:54 AM
And I bumped into Phil back in my Moy Yat days - and then again (of course) with William Cheung.

A place where Phil and I still hang out. :D

Congratulations.

doug maverick
12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
35 Avenue at 36 Street
Astoria, NY 11106

Urban Dragons: Non-Asian Masters of Chinese Martial Arts
Sunday, December 16, 2:00 p.m. 2007, 70 mins. Video. World Premiere. Directed by Kamau Hunter. Produced by Jose Figueroa and Kamau Hunter. This new documentary surveys the history and changing face of Chinese martial arts in urban America. Following the screening, martial arts masters featured in the film and filmmakers Kamau Hunter and Jose Figueroa will be present for a discussion moderated by series curator Warrington Hudlin.

Program Information
The martial arts film is the world's most popular cinematic genre. There were once at least a half-dozen cinemas in New York City where martial-arts films were shown on the big screen. Alas, the Music Palace, the Sun Sing, the Pagoda, the Rosemary, the Canal Cinema, and the Bijou have all closed their doors. Moving Image is pleased to provide New Yorkers the opportunity to once again see these films on the big screen, showcasing works from China, Japan, Korea, and elsewhere.—

just got the email from fred ho about this gonna check it out. haven;t seen jose in a minute

GeneChing
12-13-2007, 10:48 AM
...It's my compulsive side showing here in the forum. :o I left permanent redirects.

Jose has been telling me of the project. He said he'd forward me more - hopefully a screener - soon. It sounds very intriguing.

doug maverick
12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
yeah it does. didn't know he was working on this, haven;t spoken to him since he moved to cold ass minisota.

Phil Redmond
12-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Urban Dragons:
Black & Latino Masters Of Chinese Martial Arts
(A Martial Arts Documentary)

Event: Premiere “Urban Dragons” A Martial Arts Documentary
Date: Sunday December 16th 2007
Time: 2:00pm – 4:00pm
ADMISSION
Adults: $10.00
Senior Citizens, College Students with I.D.: $7.50
Children (5-18): $5.00
Members, Children under 5: Free

Event Itinerary

2:00pm – 2:05pm Greetings and Salutations / Curator Warrington Hudlin

2:05pm – 2:10pm Special Presentation Honoring “Martial Arts Pioneer” Fred Ho

2:10pm – 3:20pm Film Begins

3:20pm – 3:25pm Honoring Special Guest Martial Artist Presentation
3:25pm – 3:55pm Q and A Period - With Director & Producer

3:55pm – 4:00pm Closing Remarks / Curator Warrington Hudlin

Urban Dragons:
Black & Latino
Masters of
Chinese Martial Arts

(A Martial Arts Documentary)

This documentary ,explores the lives of urban African-American and Latino martial artists. It is not just an exploration of Black and Brown men within the world of Asian martial arts but is also an affirmation of the healing and transformational power of these ancient practices for men who exist on the periphery of their society. The characters of this film are legends in their mastery of martial arts and role models in escaping cycles of economic and moral poverty that plague marginalized groups. Through martial arts, these warriors gained the discipline and the nurturing, the determination and the faith to overcome their obstacles and demons. The film is just as much about the brotherhood between Black, Brown men as it is about the fraternity of martial artists in general. In learning to master martial arts to engage in battle, they also became victors in the fight of their lives!!! With Special appearances and interviews of a plethora martial arts masters and historians.
Production Credits
Executive producer Dr. Keith Hunter
Producers Kamau Hunter , Jose M. Figueroa
Director / Editor Kamau Hunter
Editor J. P Parkman
Directors of Photography Kamau Hunter , Jose M. Figueroa
Original music score by Kamau Hunter
Graphic designer / multimedia Duane Davis
Cover & Logo design Derek Brigham
Additional cover art Kamau Hunter
Project Advisors Stephan Berwick & Warrington Hudlin
Martial Arts Masters Ensemble:
o Oso Tayari Casel Kupigana ng gumbi
o Da Shi Dennis Brown Tien Shan Pai
o Shijiao - George Crayton Jr. Huan Shou Jia
o Sifu Raul Ortiz Praying Mantis
o Sifu Vingrove Thomas Wing Chun
o Sifu Raymond Nelson Praying Mantis
o Sifu Phillip Redmond Wing Chun
o Sifu Pedro Cepero Yee Hung Gar
o Sifu Malcolm Wadley Bagua Zhang
o Sifu Ron Wheeler Jow Gar
o Sifu Novell Bell Bagua Zhang
o Mike Woods Hong Kong Action Film Star
o Shih fu Stephan Berwick Hong Kong Action Film Star / Chen Style Tai Chi
o Shih fu Jose Manuel Figueroa Chen Tai Chi / Martial Arts Choreographer
Other featured artist:
Mike West - Praying Mantis
Clarence Gibbons – Wing Chun
Ailan Armstrong – Wing Chun
Sentwali Woodard – Chen Tai Chi
Vanessa Boualouang – Chen Tai Chi
Kashka Fizer – Chen Tai Chi

Phil Redmond
12-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks to you all. There is going to be a part two. I called Sifu Ralph Mitchell to let him know about Sunday. I also introduced him to Jose by email so that he can be in part two. After watching Ralph Mitchell fight I asked him to train me. He helped me win my first full contact match against Jonas Nunez in a Fu Jow tournament that allowed elbows, knees, and takedowns. Ralph was one of the first Chinese stylists in NYC to get respect from other stylists. He was also in Hung Mun like me which was something back in those days. Ralph will be there Sunday as well.

Phil Redmond
12-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I've attached a pic of some of the Sifus featured in the documentary "Urban Dragons"

Phil Redmond
01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
There is a little bit of the event here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayCzv6qb5EY