PDA

View Full Version : Scott's 2008 training log

Scott Meneely
12-13-2007, 05:45 AM
This is my training log for 2008. I decided to call it a training log instead of a judo log because a lot of what I'll be documenting is strength and conditioning and maybe not so much Judo and Jiu Jitsu due to being in Graduate school.

Okay first Biographic info:

Name: Scott

Height 6 foot

Weight Right now around 185-187, made great gains in weight since starting training for strength in August of 2007 (gained a good 15lbs!)

My Old 2007 Judo/training log (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44674)

Places I train:

Panther Grappling Club (http://panthergrappling.blogspot.com/)

I may refer to this as "Pitt Grappling Club"

The South Hills Judo Club (www.southhillsjudo.org)

And I generally lift weights at the Peterson Event Center.

Okay, here are some goals:

Short term goals:

Implement my new workout routine (more details about this)

Manage to bench press 85lb db's

If time and weather permits to get to the running track and run some sprints

To do any sports when the opportunity presents itself. Pick up football, tennis, or anything else that is fun and will aid in conditioning.

To use more of the technical knowledge that I've accumulated when I roll

To be more quick when I roll, whem I'm less sluggish I do a lot better than when I'm just not there

To be more mentally focused when rolling, this also helps me do better

(with regards to above)

To focus throughout practices and forget about socializing with others until after practice

Longer Term Goals

To be putting up respectable #'s, and especially to improve my bench press

To be conditioned in a way that will improve my sport (judo/bjj) performance

To learn and better implement olympic/dynamic lifts into my training routine

To win in a jiu jitsu competition. I feel I do great in practice (sometimes) but I have never won in a competition.

To improve my focus and start a regular meditation/visualization practice

To make it to as many Judo/BJJ/Rolling session as time will permit (without failing out of school)

Scott Meneely
12-13-2007, 05:54 AM
Although I've made some great gains with my old routine I want to implement a routine that is slightly different.

The Old Routine:

Push Day

Pull Day

Squat Day

Making one of these days each week a max effort day (pyramiding from 5 reps downward with the addition of more weight) and the rest of those days doing 5 x 5

The New Routine

Still Probably use a 3 day split, but I will work the whole body each session. I would like my workouts to look like this

Day 1

Push movement (ex: db bench press) (This will be 'push dominant' day and the push movement will be the highest intensity)

Pull movement (ex: weighted pull up)

Do supersets of these, and then:

Lower body movement (ex: Squats/Deads)

Plus: Dynamic movements (cleans, swings, etc)

Plus: Assistance lifts

Day 2
Similar with pulling movement as the highest intensity

Day 3
Similar with lower body intensity, alternating weekly between squat/squat variation and dead/dead variation focus

Also: I would like to do conditioning whenever the opportunity presents itself!

Scott Meneely
12-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Why the new routine?

In sport muscles are rarely worked in isolation

Push and pull motions in the same day lead to better hormone response

To see what kind of gains I make, if I don't make any I'll switch back to my old routine or another routine.

Thing I can do to improve my judo/bjj

Solo drilling when I can't get to class (shadow uchi komi, resistance band kazushi)

Agility work (skipping rope, running sprints, etc.)

Focus throughout the practice (beat up on my short attention span)

Allow myself to get into 'bad situations' when grappling, so that I have to overcome them frequently

__________________________________________________ _________

I will add to all of these goals and try to keep a record of my progress towards them all. I hope this log allows me to see where my training is right and where it could be improved. I also appreciate any training advice, tips, or discussion from anyone who cares to read or comment.

I will start posting regularly in this log when I arrive home from vacation on 12/23 (but due to the holiday probably won't get to workout til after that).

While in Panama I plan on visiting Gracie Barra Panama (http://panamajiujitsu.com/?target=art&id=2) and a judo school. I have emailed several judo schools to see which ones are near to my wife's family's home. I'll try to update on my first international martial arts experience asap!

Scott Meneely
12-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Just got back from Panama City, Panama. My athletic life took a vacation and I didn't do much of anything while in Panama. Not to make excuses but A) it was hot B) my wife's family's house was not all that big, and C) we were really really busy doing things.

I did get to visit the Juan Ivaldi school of Judo. They were very welcoming and the experience was great. Sensei Noriyuki Sasaki of New York happened to be visiting Panama and gave the class, and he gave it in English which was great for me! All of the black belts in the class were great, and they made sure to let me know that they were my judo family away from home and that I could always train there!

The only other remotely athetic thing I did was play futbol (soccer) with my brother in-laws, and a Canadian guy. Woulnd't you know the North Americans were the only guys who scored any goals. Also did some swimming, but in all reality it was a week away from everything. My diet was okay, a lot of fried food in Panama (bananas, yucas, etc), but a lot of fresh seafood, fruit, and other stuff.

It was a great trip, now it's time to get back to working out!

WinterPalm
12-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Good luck with the log!
I've been doing judo for a little while now and I can say that it is good wholesome fun! Very explosive, dynamic, and aggressive. The learning curve is awesome.
Have you thought of kettlebell training? That helps a lot with explosiveness, endurance, grip, and coordination.

Scott Meneely
12-25-2007, 09:53 AM
12/25
Did some pushups and walking lunges, but pretty much took it easy, it's christmas. Plus I can get back into the gym tomorrow and see how weak I really am!

Winterpalm
The gyms I go to do not have kettlebells, however I would love to add them to my training and actually have started implementing some kb movements (swings) into my training.

Scott Meneely
12-26-2007, 04:20 PM
12/26

Didn't get into the gym due to the limited hours over the holidays and some previous plans of mine....

2 min jumprope
30 sec rest
30 sec burpees
30 sec rest
2 min jumprope
30 sec rest
30 sec squats
30 sec rest
2 min jumprope

resistance band kazushi

ab stuff (v-ups, bikes, planks etc.)

stretching

SevenStar
12-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Just got back from Panama City, Panama. My athletic life took a vacation and I didn't do much of anything while in Panama. Not to make excuses but A) it was hot B) my wife's family's house was not all that big, and C) we were really really busy doing things.

I did get to visit the Juan Ivaldi school of Judo. They were very welcoming and the experience was great. Sensei Noriyuki Sasaki of New York happened to be visiting Panama and gave the class, and he gave it in English which was great for me! All of the black belts in the class were great, and they made sure to let me know that they were my judo family away from home and that I could always train there!

The only other remotely athetic thing I did was play futbol (soccer) with my brother in-laws, and a Canadian guy. Woulnd't you know the North Americans were the only guys who scored any goals. Also did some swimming, but in all reality it was a week away from everything. My diet was okay, a lot of fried food in Panama (bananas, yucas, etc), but a lot of fresh seafood, fruit, and other stuff.

It was a great trip, now it's time to get back to working out!

you slacker. :p

Scott Meneely
12-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Nothing worth documenting the past few days, some bodyweight stuff. All of the weightrooms on campus are closed. I also had a little bug.

Seven, if I was a slacker before what does this make me? I may go out to south hills judo next week.

Scott Meneely
12-31-2007, 12:00 PM
12/31

The last 2007 workout (probably)

2 min jumprope

30 sec rest

30 sec squats

30 sec rest

2 min jumprope

30 sec rest

30 sec burpees

30 sec rest

1 min jumprope

30 sec rest

30 sec squats

push/pull between resistance band and pushups

static stretching

pittfrog
01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
How was your trip, slackah!

Glad to hear you're back. I'm trying to get back on the logging wagon. My new log is here: http://pittfrog.blogspot.com. I like the blog format more. I'll also be discussing other crap besides BJJ/Judo and conditioning.

What days do you practice at Pitt? Maybe I can make it down there.

Scott Meneely
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
How was your trip, slackah!

Glad to hear you're back. I'm trying to get back on the logging wagon. My new log is here: http://pittfrog.blogspot.com. I like the blog format more. I'll also be discussing other crap besides BJJ/Judo and conditioning.

What days do you practice at Pitt? Maybe I can make it down there.

Nice new blog! Good to hear from you! I might be able to make it out to south hills judo on Mondays, maybe, we'll see how the semester goes. Pitt hasn't set the schedule yet, but I usually go on fridays (gi night).

Nothing log worthy as of late, bodyweight stuff, and today went out to the soccer field in shenely park and ran some sprints in the snow and ice! That'll get the lungs working!

I have been a slacker, I can't wait for next week to get in the weight gym. I'm smaller and I bet I lost some of the strength gains I made last year in the gym. Oh well, I have to get a gym membership to a gym that doesn't close over semester break.

Scott Meneely
01-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Supersets
standing barbell overhead press 115lbs x 5
High Pulls 115lbs x 5
ohp x 5
hp x 5

ohp @ 115lbs x 5
pull ups x 6

ohp x 5
pull ups x 5

ohp x 5
pull ups x 5

55lb db bench press

db rows, 65lbs

I went really easy on this session. Hopefully later in the week will pick back up on the intensity and will get stronger again. I can probably make it to Pitt grappling on Thursday and Friday this week.

Scott Meneely
01-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Squats
225 x 6
225 x 5
225 x 6
225 x 5
225 x 5

Supersets, bodyweight pull ups to dips
pull ups x 6
dips x 20

pull ups x 5
dips x 15

pull ups x 5
pull ups x 4
pull ups x 3

stretching

Scott Meneely
01-12-2008, 10:07 AM
1/11

Pitt grappling

Worked on some principles since it was the beginning of the semester

Grip fighting (standing)

Posture

Breaking grips

Getting the inside grip

Went over collar chokes from guard

Rolled with one guy, got him in the gift wrap and couldn't finish, finally got him with an armbar

1/12

Weights-------I think I'm going back to the 3 day split of one day puch, one day pull, one day squat, each week picking one max intensity day. I will still try to do some supersets on the push or pull day. I don't really like doing the whole body thing.

db bench press
70lb db's x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5

Deadlift
225lbs x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

db ohp
55lb db's x 5
55 x 5
55 x 5
55 x 5
55 x 5

Supersets
cable push downs to pull ups

pushdowns x 10
pull ups x 4

push downs x 10
pull ups x 3

push downs x 10
pull ups x 2

One lateral raise immediately followed by one front raise
15lb db's x 10
15 x 10
15 x 10

On monday I'll get back on the old routine of three days a week. I really feel I made good progress, and it was a good program for making progress.

Scott Meneely
01-15-2008, 05:11 AM
1/14

Squats
225lbs x 6
245 x 6
295 x 4
315 x 3
315 x 3

Front squats
(115lbs x 6) x 5

Some breakfalls, shrimping, leg raises, and walking lunges.

Stretching.

Scott Meneely
01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
1/16

Push

db bench press

70lb db's x 6
75 x 4
75 x 4
75 x 4
75 x 3

dips to knee raises supersets

20 dips
20 kr's

18 dips
20 kr's

20 dipes
20 kr's

one superset ohp to bent over rows
45lb db's
ohp x 5
row x 5

one front raise then one lateral raise

15lb db's x 5 (each)

x5

Tricep pressdowns, don't know the weight, 3 sets of 10

cable crossovers, 3 sets of 10

Scott Meneely
01-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Morning workout (plan on going to grapple tonight)

Deadlifts

225 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Pull ups, alternating grip one set grip in, one set grip out. Bodyweight + 25lbs

db rows
65lb db's x 5
65 x 5
65 x 5
65 x 5
65 x 5

Curls
(25lb db's x 6) x 4

Hammerstrenght barbell rows
90lbs x 6
90 x 6
90 x 6

Superset - 4 pull ups, 10 dips

Will update for grappling tonight....

Scott Meneely
01-19-2008, 08:22 AM
1/18

Panther Grappling

Went over basics again:

Standing up to base

basic scissors sweep

If uke comes to one knee while doing the scissors sweep, put your foot under the knee to lift him up.

If you can't get it, you can push your foot directly into the knee

Pin escapes

I had to leave early and didn't get to roll.

1/19

Ab stuff and stretching.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I really want to be able to train martial arts more than once a week. I don't know what life will be like this semester, so I don't know what I will be able to do. I want to continue to improve martial arts skills, which I don't feel is happening training one time a week. I'm not as young as I once was, so I should be shifting to being a more technical martial artist. I want to do this in both Judo and BJJ.

Oh, and I feel in the gym I can get back to the intensity it was at before the break. I'm going to add a max effort day this week.

Diet notes: I've been eating a little more poorly lately. Last week this was my focus in the grocery store, and it will continue to be my focus. I want most of the carbs I eat to be low gi carbs (whole wheat, etc), I want to eat more veggies and fruits, and I want to consume less refined sugar. Most of the refined sugar I get is in the coffee I drink, so I'm going to drink more tea (although I love coffee more) and drink lattes and such w/ out sugar.

Scott Meneely
01-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Got out to the South Hills Judo Club (www.southhillsjudo.org) for the first time in a long time, I really missed the club and everyone there!

Warm up

Moving kazushi

moving uchi komi for koshi guruma (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/koshiguruma.htm)

throws for koshi guruma (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/koshiguruma.htm)

Combination: Koshi Guruma (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/koshiguruma.htm), uke steps out and around, so we follow up with Uchi Mata (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/uchimata.htm)

I had a difficult time with the transition to uchi mata. (As always) I need to remember to keep my kazushi on the sleeve hand UP, and I also think my angle was a little weird.

Did a few rounds of kumikata (gripfighting). I think I did alright.

Randori:

vs. Paul, got thrown a couple times, he told me I did really well

vs. Jeff, no throws either way

vs. Rich, got a kouchi gari (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/kouchigari.htm)

I'm thinking I can get to at least 2 practice sessions a week, at least I hope.

edit: I did manage to stay focused on judo throughout the class and didn't get sidetracked by conversation about other things. It is my goal to try to be as focused on martial arts as I can while training, and not get carried away by chatter. I just thought I'd mention this to track the progress.

WinterPalm
01-22-2008, 01:49 PM
edit: I did manage to stay focused on judo throughout the class and didn't get sidetracked by conversation about other things. It is my goal to try to be as focused on martial arts as I can while training, and not get carried away by chatter. I just thought I'd mention this to track the progress.

That's always super important.
I find my judo class is hard to get sidetracked as we are rolling or randori pretty much the whole time. During technique it helps if they people you train with are focused and into it like you.
Of course last night things got disrupted by several guys talking about BJ Penn licking blood off his gloves Saturday night!

Scott Meneely
01-23-2008, 11:39 AM
1/22

Pitt Grappling

Drilled guard vs guardpasser, pin vs escape, and I got beat up on when rolling.

Also worked an open guard pass.

weightroom

50lb db ohp 5 sets of 6

3 sets of 20 dips (two of those set were supersets with 20 knee raises directly after)

3 supersets, tricep pushdown to pull up

Short on time, I'll edit this later, I just don't want to forget...

Scott Meneely
01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Dynamic stretching

Squats
225 x 6
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5

clean to front squat
3 sets of 5 @ 95lbs

overhead squats
3 sets of 5 @ 115lbs

Walking lunges and static stretching

Friday will go to seminar on leglocks from a bjj blackbelt!

Pork Chop
01-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Looking good :)
Bout to start my own new blog monday after a pretty long layoff.
Keep up the hard work!!!

Scott Meneely
01-25-2008, 05:04 AM
Looking good :)
Bout to start my own new blog monday after a pretty long layoff.
Keep up the hard work!!!

Thanks, but honestly I don't feel my workouts have been as good as they were towards the end of last semester. Still trying to work a schedule that will work.

I'm thinking (tentative)

Mon --- weights AND/OR south hills judo

Tue --- weights

wed --- no time for anything

Thur --- Pitt grappling AND weights after

Fri --- Pitt grappling (gi night)

Sat --- weights

Sun --- no time for anything

I'm not sure if this schedule is realistic for when my school work load increases, but for these first few weeks perhaps......

Scott Meneely
02-02-2008, 12:42 PM
2/1

Squats
135lbs x 10
225 x 8
275 x 6
315 x 5
315 x 5
225 x 6

Pitt Grappling

Drilled

Ippon Seoi Nage (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ipponseoi.htm)

Morote Seoi Nage (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/moroteseoinage.htm)

Drilled some escapes and such

Rolled with 2 people, got beat up by one, held my own with the other

2/2

Push day

dynamic stretching

75lb db's bench press x 4 x 5

db ohp 55lb db's

Dips, bodyweight + 25lbs

Tricep pushdown
3 sets of 10

Static stretching

Scott Meneely
02-05-2008, 05:04 AM
2/4

South Hills Judo (www.southhillsjudo.org)

Moving uchi komi for uchi mata (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/uchimata.htm), ouchi gari (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ouchigari.htm), koshi guruma (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/koshiguruma.htm)

combination:

Ouchi gari (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ouchigari.htm) to osoto gari (http://judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/osotogari.htm)
Uke steps out of the ouchi, change direction into the osoto

Worked on the stepping for the ouchi, taking the first step low, and then bringing the back foot up forcefully.

Important points for ouchigari: Kazushi uke down, not away. Get low. Head on the inside. Reapingt motion, not hooking (I have the hook habit because I've gotten it to work). Step in enough to have room to drive.

Randori

Jeff, threw me twice with great throws, I threw him once, kind of, with an ouchi gari

Julian, got me with a couple nice throws, I got him with one, I think he let me get it. I reversed one of his throws also

Phil, threw me all over the place

Scott Meneely
02-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Pull day

Deadlifts
(225lbs x 5) x 5

Weighted pull ups, body weight + 25lbs, alternating palms in then palms out

db rows
65lb db's x 5
65 x 5
65 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 3

curls
25lb db's x 8
(for these next sets, I sat in the incline chair with the db's behind me)
20lbs x 6
20lbs x 6

bodyweight push ups to pull ups
20 push ups, 5 pull ups
20, 5
20, 5

Static stretching

Edit: I'm excited, south hills judo added an instructor profile section to the website!

Here it is! (http://southhillsjudo.org/instructors.html)

Scott Meneely
02-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Dynamic stretching

ab stuff

resistance band kazushi

static stretching

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
i thought this said scott mendelson's training log :(

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-08-2008, 12:06 AM
you got some really decent squatting in there man. your push exercises arent bad either. how come pulls so low in comparison?

Scott Meneely
02-08-2008, 05:06 AM
you got some really decent squatting in there man. your push exercises arent bad either. how come pulls so low in comparison?

Really? I always think of push as my weakest, especially the bench press, maybe that's cause the gym is filled with bench jocks that bench everyday, so they lift a hell of a lot more than me.

When you say pulling, I'm assuming you're talking about rows. Usually I do them after deads and weighted pull ups, I'll try to go max effort and see if I can pick up the numbers next week. I love weighted pull ups (or any pull ups for that matter), so I usually do them first.

You also reminded me that this coming week will be max effort deadlift!!! I'll try an go for 315!

Ha, Scott Mendelson, that's a dude that has nice push numbers!!!

When you coming to Pittsburgh man? I'm waiting!

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-08-2008, 01:21 PM
actually i was talking about deads ... i should have just said that to avoid confusion. aside from those who lift equiped, most people have a dead that is a bit higher than their squat. your max squat should be right around 375ish .... so im shocked you arent pulling at least 4 plates. if you get that deadlift up, your squat is gonna go through the friggen roof man.

and you're pushing strength isn't weak at all. 75lb db presses and 55lb ovdb presses aint bad at all for the reps your doing it at. you're rep strength kills mine.

unfortunately i wont be up to pittsburgh for anything but sushi or comedy clubs any time soon. i haven't been able to train martial arts since going back to school. im in school by 8am and i dont get done with work until 9pm monday through friday, plus i work every saturday until 6pm. i squeeze in lifting at 930 3 nights a week, but thats all i can do for now. there aren't any classes run at times i can make it, and even if there were there's no way id be able to fit it in. not with the family, the house, etc. i miss it ... but unless suzi lands another job that lets me go down to part time i just gotta do what i gotta do.

Scott Meneely
02-09-2008, 02:54 PM
2/8

Weightroom

Squats
(225 x 6) x 5

goodmornings
(95lbs x 8) x 3

lunges with 95lbs on back

Panther grappling club (gi night)

Drilled throws

Drilled open guard with feet on biceps, drilled 2 sweeps and triangles

Rolling:

Newbie I owned
Wrestler owned me
newbie I owned
Ryan owned me

2/9

South Hills Judo

Jiu jitsu

Scissors sweep

Elevator sweep

Stand up, Marcus from Pittsburgh Muay Thai (www.pittsburghmuaythai.com)taught

Shadow boxing

Marcus told me too much weight was on my back foot (which I was doing to spring forward to jab)

Worked on details of Thai kicks, when step front hand goes down, switch hands for momentum, come up on the planted foot.

Worked with a lot of the guys on remodeling the club!!!!

South Hill Judo will now have a boxing ring!!!! Also got rid of bleachers and will extend the mats to that wall!

Scott Meneely
02-12-2008, 04:54 AM
2/11

Went out to South Hills Judo but didn't get to practice. We had to stretch the mat covering and finish fixing the place up. The boxing ring looks great, and the new mat design is also great.

In the gym today (2/12) I plan on doing max effort deads. I hope to go beyond 300lbs. I think I'm strong enough, but my grip gives out (I don't wear gloves or anything).

We'll see.

Scott Meneely
02-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Did some skippin rope, push ups, and other stuff. Too much snow to go to the gym.

Scott Meneely
02-23-2008, 10:30 AM
For the past week I did some push ups, bodyweight stuff, didn't go to the gym, was depressed and lazy!

Today 2/23

Deads
225 x 5
225 x 5
245 x 4
255 x 5
255 x 4

Bodyweight pull ups
5 x 5

Rows
60lb db's x 6

Went to the mat room, did some heavy bag hitting and kicking and messed around with acrobatic stuff, cause I felt like it.

Did cartwheels looking in the mirror, and they didn't look to horrible. I did some handstands against the wall (going to try to be able to do them without a wall).

Static stretching.

Monday I want to go to south hills judo or the weightroom.

Scott Meneely
02-26-2008, 04:56 AM
2/25

South Hills Judo

I only attended the first hour.

Ne Waza

Drilled guard vs. guardpasser

Worked on Kimura

If you can't get kimura straighten uke's leg to roll him over (leg on same side as the kimura)

Worked on a guard pass (stacking)

Guard pass to paper cutter choke (thumb in deep!)

South Hills Judo recently lost their BJJ teacher, which is a shame. They are looking to find someone to replace him, but for now it's just judo (and muay thai!)

Scott Meneely
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
2/26

Push

standing db ohp

50lbs x 8
55 x 6
60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 4

Dips, bw

Incline Bench

115lbs x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 4
115 x 4

Some knee raises

Scott Meneely
03-25-2008, 09:07 AM
It's been a while since I did anything substancial. I've had a bad case of the winter blues, grad school and my busy schedule are in the way, and a lot of things just really hit me at once. I have done some home exercise, push ups and what not, not to any intensity, but just to not turn into a complete fat useless.....ummm

Went back to the weightroom last week, did some atg squats and pull ups.

Yesterday (3/24)

Supersets, db bench to db rows
55lb db's x 10 (bench)
x 5 (row)

x 10 (bench)
x 5 (row)

65lb db's x 5 (bench)
x 3 (row)

x 5 (bench)
x3 (row)

x 5 (bench)
x 3 (row)

2 x 2 min round of jump rope, 30 sec in between.

Went to Pitt wrestling club, they showed me some wrestling basics.

Will go to the gym tonight!

Recently my diet has been very bad. I've had unusual sweet cravings, and I'm not doing anything about it (except giving in:D ). I hope to get my athletic life back on track.

SevenStar
03-25-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm glad you didn't fall completely off the wagon, but you could've at least done a step express class or something.:p

Scott Meneely
03-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm glad you didn't fall completely off the wagon, but you could've at least done a step express class or something.:p

Dude, please don't take this as an insult, but you've turned into a gym rat!:D

That's a good thing though. What's been going on with the bjj/muay thai?

3/25

Squats
135lbs x 8
225 x 4
225 x 4
224 x 4
135 x 6

did some dumbbell snatches with 40lb db's

did some hyperextensions w/ 25lb plate.

mkriii
03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
[Okay, here are some goals:

Short term goals:

Implement my new workout routine (more details about this)

Manage to bench press 85lb db'sIf time and weather permits to get to the running track and run some sprints

Is there a reason that you can't bench press 85 pounds when you weight 180+ pounds? I weigh 190 pounds and work out with 160 pounds. When I max out I can bench around 220 pounds. 85 pounds sounds aweful weak to me.

Scott Meneely
03-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Is there a reason that you can't bench press 85 pounds when you weight 180+ pounds? I weigh 190 pounds and work out with 160 pounds. When I max out I can bench around 220 pounds. 85 pounds sounds aweful weak to me.

I said 85 lb db's, that would be 170lbs, which yes is pretty weak (although dumb bell exercises do tend to be a bit more difficult).

sanjuro_ronin
03-28-2008, 06:21 AM
I said 85 lb db's, that would be 170lbs, which yes is pretty weak (although dumb bell exercises do tend to be a bit more difficult).

For DB's that's pretty resonable for someone that does ST as a compliment to his MA.
I would probably suggest low incline DB's instead of flats.
Why?
Because I say so !!
:p

I don't do "benching" myself anymore, prefer dips and presses.

Scott Meneely
03-28-2008, 06:53 AM
For DB's that's pretty resonable for someone that does ST as a compliment to his MA.
I would probably suggest low incline DB's instead of flats.
Why?
Because I say so !!
:p

I don't do "benching" myself anymore, prefer dips and presses.

I like some of the other stuff to: OHP is a great push exercise, dips, a lot of stuff to mix up.

Probably won't get to the gym today, going to work out at hom.

Scott Meneely
03-29-2008, 12:54 PM
3/29

4 x 2 min rounds of jump rope w/ 30 sec between

some resistance band kazushi

I'm going to try to do an aerobic base phase, just because I don't have motivation for weights, and I need to get into shape. I'm going to try and do 4 or 5 rounds of jump rope, 4 or 5 days a week, and add other stuff too. Nice weather is coming, and the idea of getting out on the running track for some sprints sounds great, and playing tennis with friends also. I'm going to add some shadow boxing/kazushi, we'll see where things go.

Scott Meneely
03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
4 x 2 min 30 sec jumprope

not much else...

some shadow jabbing, etc....

Scott Meneely
04-01-2008, 04:26 PM
4/1

Did some shadowboxing, focus on jab cross, keeping a good guard and relaxed.

Did 2 x 2 min jumprope

Some stretching.

Scott Meneely
05-10-2008, 10:14 AM
The whole of last semester was pretty tough on my athletic life. I believe this summer I'll have more time for training.

I have been skipping rope the past few weeks and this past week got back into the weightroom. I lifted three days, with really puny numbers (God I'm so weak).

I wrestled with Matt today, and he absolutely kicked my ass. He hasn't trained in as long as I haven't but still managed to beat on me. I talked to some guys from pitt and we may start an open mat on tuesday and thursday evening.

I'm back at it.....

Scott Meneely
05-12-2008, 11:08 AM
squats

225 x 4
225 x 4
225 x 4
225 x 5
155 x 6

( I used to be able to rocket out 5 or 6 at 225, darn lay off...)

hit the punching bag....

breakfalls and shrimping....

end

Scott Meneely
05-14-2008, 02:09 PM
5/13

Went to the open mat at pitt, only Matt and I showed up. Wrestled, after that I hit the bags and did some push exercises.

Scott Meneely
05-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Hit the punching bags to warm up

Deadlift
225 x 5 x 5

3 rounds 2 min jumprope

Rolled with ROTC guy, he armbarred me.

Scott Meneely
07-07-2008, 03:55 PM
okay, it's been a bit of a hectic year, as this log shows. Grad school, jobs, and all of my sorry excuses have prevented me from training like I'd like to (take a look at my old log from 2007 to see how I'd like to train). I've exercised lately, bu not with any program or documentation. I got back into the gym today, and want to start a regular program, at least for the summer. I want my program to consist of:

Three days a week lift, whole body lifting days.

Grappling at Pitt when the opportunity presents itself (there isn't any formal structure over the summer), and when noone is there, working the heavy bags.

Plus any athletic outdoors stuff that the summer and time permits.

Today (7/7)

Squats

135lbs x 8
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5

Pull ups (palms out grip), bodyweight

Dips, bodyweight
3 sets of 15

some shadowboxing.

Goals: Be strong, reduce stress, be healthy, be able to jump back into martial arts if the oppurtunity presents itself, reduce aging;)

Well, this thread will be on the first page for the rest of the summer (and hopefully after that).

Scott Meneely
07-10-2008, 04:51 AM
Deadlift
(205 lbs x5) x 5

Overhead Press
45 lbs x 8
(50 lbs x 6) x 4

Rows
(55lbs x 6) x 5

Some ab work and stretching

7/10

Played Futbol (soccer) with the wife...

Scott Meneely
07-13-2008, 12:41 PM
July 11

Bench presses (db's)
60 x 10
65 x 6
65 x 5
65 x 5
65 x 5

Supersets Pull ups (bw) then tricep press downs
4 then 10
4 then 10
4 then 10
4 then 10
4 then 10

Front Squats
205 x 6
205 x 6
205 x 6
205 x 6
205 x 6

Scott Meneely
07-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Rows
(65 lb db's x 6) x 5

db over head press
50 x 10
55 x 6
55 x 4
55 x 4
50 x 8

Squats
135 x 10
205 x 6
205 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 5

Bodyweight Pull Ups

The past couple weeks I've been doing all of this with very little rest between sets, just to change things up on my body. I've always recovered fully before starting the next set, but not now. Plus now I get in and out of the gym faster!

Scott Meneely
07-16-2008, 08:38 AM
7/15

Stretching, planks, and stuff like that

7/16

Deadlifts
135lbs x 10
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5

Hammerstrength incline bench
90lbs x 10
160 x 5
160 x 4
160 x 4
160 x 3

Supersets, bw pull ups to tricep pressdowns
5 pulls 15 presses
4 pulls 10 presses
4 pulls 10 presses

dips (w/ 40lb db's)

Once again, very little rest between sets, I did not catch my breath at all before starting the next set, I didn't time it but I'd say between 20-30 seconds.

7 min on the eliptical machine

stretching

pittfrog
07-18-2008, 09:26 AM
What's up Scott? Long time, no see.

There's open mat at kim's from 2-4 on Sundays, if you want.

Hope all is well with you.

Jeff

Scott Meneely
07-19-2008, 07:18 AM
Hey Pittfrog, great to hear from you. I work on Sundays so no good for me. I really want to get out to south hills judo, but getting all the way out there is tough with time constraints.

7/18

db over head press
50lbs x 10
55 x 4
55 x 3
50 x 3
50 x 3

I barely rested at all, and the final set of three was a struggle.

db rows
55lbs x 6

Squats

135lbs x 10
205 x 6
205 x 6
205 x 6
205 x 6

Supersets, dips then knee raises
20 dips, 25 knee raises
15 dips, 15 knee raises
10 dips

some stretching

Scott Meneely
07-21-2008, 08:37 AM
on Saturday I did some stretching and shadowboxing

7/21
Front Squats
(135lbs x 6) x 5 with 30 seconds of rest in between.

High pulls
(95lbs x5) x 5 with 30 seconds rest in between

db bench press, 60lb db's, did not time rest

db wrist curls w/ 17.5lb db's
2 sets of twents

10 minutes on eliptical

Scott Meneely
07-23-2008, 06:41 AM
7/23

Deadlifts
(185lbs x 6) x 5 w/ 30 sec rest between sets

b.w. pull ups
x 3 all w/ 30 sec rest

bench press
60lb db's
x 6 didn't time the rest periods

Curls, peel down (immediately go to the lower weight with no rest between)
25lbs x 6, 20lbs x 6
25lbs x 4, 20lbs x 4
1 set of 6 w/ 20lbs

supersets
4 pull ups, 8 tricep press downs
3 pull ups, 7 tricep press downs

Stretching

I didn't do any cardio because I am supposed to play tennis with my wife later, whether that actually happens.....

and it did happen, we played tennis for a couple hours, and, well let me put it this way, I do a lot more running around than my wife does.... It was fun though.

Scott Meneely
07-26-2008, 06:29 PM
7/25

db ohp
50lbs x 10
50 x 10
55lbs x 5
55 x 4
55 x 4

Squats
135 x 10
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5

T bar rows
90lbs x 6
90 x 6
90 x 6
90 x 6
90 x 6

Didn't time rest between sets.

Scott Meneely
07-28-2008, 08:59 AM
7/28

Front Squats
135lbs x 6

All with 25 seconds of rest between

hammerstrength incline bench
140 x10
all w/ 25 seconds rest

bodyweight pull ups

db curls, sitting on the incline bench with elbows behind me
20lbs x 4
20 x 4
17.5 lbs x 5
17.5 x 5

eliptical, 10 minutes

ab stuff and stretching

Scott Meneely
07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Deadlifts

(185lbs x 6) x 5

Bench press
65lbs db's x 8

db rows
(65lb db's x 5) x 5

tricep pressdowns

eliptical x 14 minutes

stretching

Scott Meneely
08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
8/1
Overhead squats
95lbs x 6
95 x 6

Front squats
95lbs x 10

Good Mornings
95 x 6
95 x 6

db ohp
55lb db's x 5
55 x 4
50 x 4
50 x 3
50 x 3

bw pull ups

Scott Meneely
08-04-2008, 10:35 AM
8/4

Front Squats
(135lbs x 5) x 5 w/ 20 secs rest

Hammer strength incline bench
90lbs x 11
90 x 10
90 x 6

Supersets
4 pull ups, 6 tripcep pressdowns
4 pull ups, 6 pressdowns
3 pull ups, 6 pressdowns

16 minutes on the eliptical

Scott Meneely
08-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Deadlifts
(205 x 5) x 5

Supersets, db ohp then t-bar rows (ohp 50lb db's, rows 90lbs)
8 ohp's, 8 rows
7 ohp's, 7 rows
6 ohp's, 6 rows

16 minutes on eliptical

Scott Meneely
08-09-2008, 07:38 PM
8/8

Bench Press
65lb db's x 5 sets of 6

supersets, 15lb db curls then pull ups
15 curls, 4 pull ups
10 curls, 3 pull ups