PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if you are making progress in your meditation?

ninja turtle
02-28-2001, 05:28 AM
Has anyone ever had a blatant "sign" that they have reached a new "level"? Is it always just more subtle? Is there a slow transition, full of many changes, potentially ending up at enlightenment? Or, is it a lot of time spent on practicing and then BAM- you are enlightened?

Please only experienced answers, or non-inference type replies. Thanks.

Braden
02-28-2001, 10:35 PM
You will know you've reached the first level of meditation skill when you no longer worry about reaching levels of meditation skill.

Qiman
03-01-2001, 01:58 AM
The most blatant sign: After meditating for two months, stop for a week and see what happens.

prana
03-01-2001, 02:46 AM
Braden, so true so true.

When you open your eyes, the green is greener and the blue clearer. Everything is two shades more beautiful from when you first sat down, and you feel so much in peace with just emptiness and nature.

Breathe till there is no breath...

ninja turtle
03-01-2001, 04:54 AM
Braden- I didn't know there was levels to meditation. It was a general question using general terms.
Qiman- Two months straight!!??? Is my name Buddha? Just kidding- I'll give that a try.
Prana- If you are being serious, thank you for your straightforward answer.

I have no teacher in this area of my..... "studies"(?), so I don't know what, if anything to be looking for. The only thing I have noticed is that I do feel very calm, very at peace- practically content. I have always felt that way about nature. Now I realize people are just people, so I don't worry about them any more. A few months ago I was very restless. I wasn't sure if the meditation is to blame. I guess it is.
The reason I asked this question originally was because while I was meditating/sleeping, I heard chanting- at about three a.m., in my room, while my girlfriend was sleeping next to me. If no one believes me, I can understand. I almost don't believe it myself, but I felt the most perfect serenity that morning- until my girlfriend kicked me. If anybody wants more details of my experience- I'll tell you. If anyone has had something similar happen to them, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thank you.

HuangKaiVun
03-01-2001, 03:50 PM
Don't worry about it, ninja turtle.

Just do it - and LISTEN.

YiLiQuan1
03-04-2001, 09:12 AM
Be careful in your travels down this particular path.

While meditation is safe, qigong is not always so. If you are pursuing qigong meditation, then you MUST do so under the observation and guidance of someone that has gone down the path before you. If you don't, you run the risk of possible injury.

How?

There are stories of people who, having deliberately gone against the warnings of their instructors and accelerated their training in order to see pretty lights and talk to folks who aren't there, ended up in the looney bin (official psychiatric term). I know of two people this has happened to. Irreversable and permanently damaging.

As far as other things, NT, if you care to you can email me at wolfden68@hotmail.com to discuss other aspects of this...

Good luck

Matt Stone

prana
03-05-2001, 01:19 AM
1. Ninja Turtle, hehe I am serious. Peace is filled throughout when you wake up from a state of deep meditation.
2. The point about learning QiGong by yourself is dangerous, I reinforce that with YiLiQuan.

ninja turtle
03-06-2001, 10:11 PM
Thank you for your concern. I am curious about Qigong- but know nothing of it's meditative principles or postures. What good is a game if you don't have someone there to show you exactly how to play? I have read of people harming themselves- though I don't know how- so why try to find out by myself?
All I do is focus on my breathing until(sometimes)that focus slips away and I'm not "concentrating" on anything. I'm just there- without my mind constantly flipping channels.
I am adventurous and curious, but not stupid. Thank you all for your replies- if there are any other words of wisdom or anything else anyone would like to share- go for it

woliveri
03-06-2001, 10:46 PM
Actually it depends on what your trying to do when you have problems in Qi Gong. There is a lot behind the practice of Qi Gong and many techniques in which to practice. I was told this many times from a Kung Fu Master (Qi Gong will make you crazy) and his students but I'm not there yet (well, maybe some friends of mine disagree). The problem I'm taught is trying to circulate the Qi with your Yi and possibly going in the wrong direction. I would say in beginning it's ok to practice Qi Gong by yourself as long as you are practicing collecting rather than cirulating with your Yi. For that I would suggest a teacher. Actually, I learned from my teacher to just collect to the Tan Tien and when it gets full it will overflow and circulate by itself. Just collect and collect keeping you Yi on your Tan Tien. You should then have no problems.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

ninja turtle
03-07-2001, 04:39 AM
Thank you, but I don't practice Qigong. At some point in time I will. This is purely a meditation question.

monkey mind
03-10-2001, 10:07 PM
Ninja Turtle,

The issue of "progress" in meditation is a tricky one. I'd begin by asking you to consider what your motivation is for getting into meditation in the first place? The technique you describe is an effective one, and common to many traditions. But how to interpret or react to the experiences you have using this kind of meditation is the subject of disagreement. As you, Prana, and others have mentioned, it is possible to enter powerful states of deep peace through breath meditation. In some traditions, the profound tranquility experienced here is likened to deep sleep (both you and Prana hint at this), and this is seen as the "goal" of meditation. Other traditions, e.g. many strands of Buddhism, argue that one can become attached to such a state, and in doing so forfeit any chance at a real, lasting sense of peace. In these traditions, the imagery is less that of sleep and more of awakening; not awakening from meditation but through meditation.

In any case, I'd recommend getting a teacher. I've practiced both ways - on my own and with a teacher - and I think for the vast majority of people, it's best to have a guide. Why reinvent the wheel? (if I remember right, you said something to the same effect yourself) Of course, it is essential to take care in choosing a teacher - this can be a lifelong quest, but the process itself is rewarding.

Hope this is helpful. I'd be happy to go on some more, but (contrary to appearances) I don't like to post really long replies. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood or misrepresented anybody. Shanti to all.

ninja turtle
03-13-2001, 06:10 AM
I appreciate your comments. I know what you're getting at as far as being attached to a certain frame of mind. I don't want that.
I don't try doing anything, I just end up where I end up. It feels almost perfect, but how would I know if I'm on the right path? Both paths are beautiful, but maybe I took a right when I should have taken a left- perhaps the path I'm on now just leads back to the trailhead. That's why, eventually, I should find a teacher to guide me, as you all have said.

origenx
03-13-2001, 08:21 PM
There is no pot of gold and a rainbow is actually circular.

ninja turtle
03-19-2001, 04:36 AM
It is what it is when it's not what it is.