PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting Tibetan Lamas?

origenx
02-28-2001, 08:55 PM
Has anyone seen of the specials on TLC that show footage of Tibetan Lamas supposedly walking through walls? Also various kung fu masters disappearing in thin air? My friend saw Grandmaster Simon of Temple Kung Fu do this in person even (although he doesn't know if it was real or illusion). Anyone know anything about such powers? Possible or all illusions?

Mojo
03-01-2001, 01:45 AM
All that is needed to walk through walls is a little invention called a door.

No, I didn't see that show but I would be interested in hearing a more detailed description of it. What exactly did it show ?

8stepsifu
03-01-2001, 08:04 AM
I heard of Teleporting saints. I guess when you get superspiritual, your perceptions of TIme and space change. I know the Lamas can do it, because every so often one teleports onto my front lawn and asks for directions in Sanskrit. Its been happening so often that I finally got a English-Sanskrit dictionary to tell him to get off my property.

Fish of Fury
03-01-2001, 10:03 AM
i heard about this zen buddhist who walked into a pizza joint and said "make me one with everything..."

Chris McKinley
03-03-2001, 08:47 PM
They're really cute when they're still young and can't teleport very far yet. Every year, my wife and I go to the state fair and watch the kids at the petting zoo chase those little fuzzy little guys around. It's so funny to watch the toddlers' faces when the lamas 'pop' out of and back into existence again a few feet away. Sometimes when they're eating grain out of your hand they just poof away when you run out and teleport to the next full hand. Cute little guys.

The fully grown ones are always spouting Zen koans, for some reason

Scott
03-03-2001, 10:40 PM
LMAO

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

YiLiQuan1
03-04-2001, 03:19 AM
Is this "Grandmaster Simon" of the same Temple Kung Fu up in Washington State and Canada? The same guy that named himself a monk and created his own "Neo-Zen" temple?

Just curious.

When you saw him walk through a wall, was it on video or in person? That will make a lot of difference in determining if it was a trick or not...

Matt Stone

origenx
03-04-2001, 09:06 PM
YiLiQuan - Yes, and he is also supposedly a lama like Steven Segal now too.

Anyways, I didn't see him disappear into a puff of smoke - my friend did. And yes, it was live in front of his eyes. But even he doesn't know if it was real or an illusion.

YiLiQuan1
03-05-2001, 04:13 AM
There are a sufficient number of documented cases where martial arts and artists have made use of redirection, illusion, etc., to wow the audience and gather students. It makes me wonder a number of things when hearing of this display of disappearing ability given by Grand Master Simon to your friend...

First, if such a thing can be done, why is it not done by more people?

Next, such a skill must certainly be of the highest order, indicating quite a degree of personal development. Why the need to demonstrate it for some newbie off the street?

Next, if such skills are commonly taught within this school (as they must certainly be if they are demonstrated to brand new student prospects), why are they not demonstrated in public forums, like tournaments, etc., to show the world the high degree of skill their students have?

Next, if this school is legitimate, and the alleged temple that Grand Master Simon has created is legitimate, why are they not more well known? I only happened across them on a vacation trip in Seattle (saw the school's commercials on TV - yes, I said commercials on TV, as well as drove past the school on accident), and I have only heard of the many "only westerner to ever be such and such" on the internet. Why the lack of notoriety?

I could go on, but I think you get the gist of things. There is a forum on www.e-budo.com (http://www.e-budo.com) for "Bad Budo." That might be a good idea for this site as well, covering examples of bad CMA.

Stay away from this guy. If you live in the SEATAC area, email me at wolfden68@hotmail.com and I can direct you to some guys in that area, as well as Vancouver...

Matt Stone

origenx
03-05-2001, 08:14 PM
yiliquan - first off, agreed, even my friend doesn't know if it was real or illusion. That's why I started this whole topic.

I doubt this skill is common, if it even exists. And maybe it is done by more people - who knows? For many traditional Chinese masters at least, showing off your skills is considered tacky and maybe even morally improper.

My friend wasn't a street newbie. He was a student and this was a closed demo.

Why would you demo such hi-level skills publicly? Mainly for ego or money? Fact is, by doing so, you'd likely only attract the wrong elements with the wrong motives instead of sincere patient students with the right ones. I think you can get plenty of students doing regular demos anyway.

Why isn't the school more famous then? How would I know - bad advertising and high fees? That is in fact why my friend quit - they just kept milking him for more and more money. Like a lot of money. Or maybe they are just phonies.

I'm not defending this school I've never even been close to, just playing Devil's advocate here.

old jong
03-14-2001, 05:25 AM
There was a catholic priest living in Italy not so long ago....Maybe during WWII.His name was Padre Pio! He was seen many times at two places at the same time! but maybe it was bilocation,not teleportation!...It is a true story.

C'est la vie!

DragonStudios
03-14-2001, 07:10 PM
There are lots of people who seemingly teleport and disappear all the time. They're called stage magicians. I've never gotten into illusion, but now that I think about it, it could be a valuable skill. It is, after all, all about the hand moving quicker than the eye. A friend of mine can do a trick where you write your name on a 10 dollar bill. He tears it up and then the bill mysteriously appears whole in a zip-up key case in his pocket. Great trick! I still don't know how he does it, but I do know he's somehow able to distract my attention away from his intent long enough to slip the bill in there. Think of that applied martially. If I can distract you from my intent, when you're focused on defending from my attack, and suddenly I have my hand on a dim mak point...

Teleporting and disappearing are advanced techniques for stage magicians, but are usually the high-points of their acts. They learn them the same way we develope our Kung Fu skills... lots of practice.

So I'm in a fight, in an area I know well. I've practiced this technique of disappearing, and I see my opportunity. I take it, successfully "disappear" and "re-appear" behind my opponent. WOW! What a great skill. But like I said, you would have to know the area fairly well.

I think this guy in Seattle is most likely doing just that. The Lamas may be another story, but I'm not that advanced in my meditation or QiGong to know for sure...

BTW, 8stepsifu and Chris, the image of the Lama on your lawn just about knocked me out of my chair, I was laughing so hard. AND THEN, before I could recover I read about petting zoo lamas... Oh man, I needed a good laugh today! Thanks!

Without going outside, you may know the whole world.
Without looking through the window, you may see the ways of heaven.
The ****her you go, the less you know.
--Lao Tsu

Kung Lek
03-15-2001, 06:51 PM
hahahahahaha - ridiculous!

we are physical beings first and foremost.
everything else is a "pipe dream" if ya get my inference. :)

no one on the planet has ever ever ever levitated or teleported..ever.
There is not one scrap of verifiable evidence to support this claim and as far as the tibetans are concerned they will be the first to tell you that the whole event takes place in the mind and not in the physical realm.

As for Olaf Simon, well, yeesh, I don't have a single good thing to say about O.Simon, so I will say nothing.

peace

Kung Lek

joedoe
03-16-2001, 02:11 AM
Stupid answer: I've heard camels and alpacas have also attempted teleportation but have never truly succeeded.

Serious answer: Sounds like crap to me. I have heard of people being seen in two places at once, but that has been attributed to astral projection.

8step & Chris, love your work :)

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

chufeng
03-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Simon???

He won't allow public viewing of his training, or his classes.
You have to pay first (which means you buy into his claims on faith and have a contract for a minimum of three months)...so even if you are smart and see that you're being scammed, you are contractually liable for three months at whatever rate he is currently charging...

My fee for education in the martial arts is $0.00/month

My students pay a rental fee for the space we sublease (as do I) of $30/month. In other words, I pay $30/month to teach...go figure.
But the training hall is spacious and dry (I used to teach outside all year around) and we have the option of turning on a heater if we want (but we usually just punch faster and more often to create heat).

Even though I teach for free, I have just a handful of students...I attribute that to the fact that we actually hit each other (this is martial arts, after all) and I don't promote people on a schedule...you get promoted when you are ready for the next level, period. Oh, and I am very picky about technique...lots and lots of repetitions of the boring stuff...and I'll still find mistakes in your basics.

Anyways...I cannot walk through walls without leaving a lot of drywall dust and debris on the ground...and then there are the repair costs...

chufeng

tug
04-04-2006, 06:43 AM
This noder has seen with his very own eyes on his very own television a man by the name of David Copperfield who has walked through a wall. I don't know if this man is a chinese monk but he had a mullet haircut.

He passed cleanly through the wall, obviously it was done behind sheets so as to not scare young children or encourage them into attempting a similar feat.

If walking through walls also means you get to date german supermodels then I'm a re-aligning my particles baby.

-from the interwebs :D

qiphlow
04-05-2006, 10:23 AM
the buddha said that people who culitvate will develop all kinds of supernatural abilities. these develop according to the individual's level of practice and the individual's karma. so these kinds of abilities are not impossible for humans to perform;
HOWEVER, probably 99.9% of us HAVE NOT reached a level of cultivation that would allow us to manifest these abilities.
so: not impossible, just improbable.

David Jamieson
04-11-2006, 05:37 AM
Budha said a lot of things. lol

On the side, Alice Cooper use to pass through a wall and materialize on stage in front of his audience as a regulart part of his roadshow back in the 80's. Pretty cool illusion.

I blame ChuFeng for ressurecting this old thread and sentence him to teleportation to the 5th level of hell for 3 days. No water!

Scott R. Brown
04-12-2006, 02:08 AM
the buddha said that people who culitvate will develop all kinds of supernatural abilities. these develop according to the individual's level of practice and the individual's karma. so these kinds of abilities are not impossible for humans to perform;
HOWEVER, probably 99.9% of us HAVE NOT reached a level of cultivation that would allow us to manifest these abilities.
so: not impossible, just improbable.

Hi qiphlow,

Buddha also taught not to be come preoccupied with “powers and abilities” as they lead to attachment. They may be recognized, but we are not to become enamored with them nor become preoccupied with developing them. As with everything else, they are not to be clung too!

It is an error to assume these “abilities” are indications of advanced spiritual maturity. An “ability/power” is not equivalent to maturity of insight! Michael Jordan, in his day, was the most talented in Basketball (an ability), but would you allow him to be your spiritual teacher? I think not! His skill is basketball, not insight! Herein lies one of the errors many fall into regarding these “apparent abilities”. The poorly educated and naive fall prey to the manipulations of these types of people because they are enamored by the wonders the are shown! When we become enamored by “abilities” we confuse a talent or skill with spiritual insight and this leads us to focus on transient “abilities” rather than permanent insight. While “abilities” may occur in conjunction with insight, one is not requisite to the other! If this was so then ALL with superior skill would also possess superior spiritual insight, but alas most often they have superior human flaws!

BruceSteveRoy
04-21-2006, 07:25 AM
All that is needed to walk through walls is a little invention called a door.

?

That was a very clever response. Haha.

qiphlow
04-21-2006, 10:03 AM
hi scott--
i didn't mean to say that these supernatural phenomena are indicative of an advanced spiritual state, just that these phenomena can and have manifested in individuals at various levels of cultivation. i agree totally that attachment to these phenomena, should they manifest, will only serve to hinder one's progress. the point of my original commment was to say that stories of teleporting tibetan lamas are not necessarily untrue just because they are about lamas who can teleport. as i said before: not impossible, just improbable.
and, just so you know, this post should not be read as being sarcastic, or snippety, or anything like that-- i just want to clarify.
--jeff

Scott R. Brown
04-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi Qiphlow,

Thank you for the clarification and you do make a good point. Lack of proof does not demonstrate lack of possibility! Many things once thought to be impossible have later proven to be true or to exist.

I too was not intending to be rude. I realize I can be a bit terse at times. This is not intentional, but merely one of my personality quirks that sometimes causes misunderstandings. Please don't construe my post as intending to be rude or as forceful as it may have sounded.