PDA

View Full Version : Steve Demasco left USSD?

sk girl
12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I heard Steve Demasco left USSD and started his own chain of shaolin kempo schools, can anybody confirm this?

xcakid
12-15-2007, 11:11 AM
would not be the first time. he left the system back in the early nineties when he first broke off from villari. then came back. rumor was he was sued by mattera and was forced to come back. don't know if there is any truth to that though. but i was still an instructor back then, and this rumor was being circulated "in house".

SenseiShellie
12-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I've heard he's gone. It becomes official in January. More updates to follow as I find out more.

cjurakpt
12-16-2007, 03:03 AM
so now he will no doubt expand his already stunning resume of accolades listed on his website (the ones in bold I find particularly worthy of intense ridicule):

Certified Grandmaster, Shaolin Temple
Ambassador to the United States for China's Shaolin Temples
Tenth Degree Black Belt Shaolin Kempo (30 years)
Grandmaster of the Year Award for American Federation
of Martial Arts Hall of Fame January, 2000
Inducted into the International Black Belt Hall of Fame
Black Belt Magazine Cover: 1999 and 2002 plus many articles.
Inducted into the Eastern Alliance Martial Artist Hall of Fame, 1999
Certified Instructor in Northern Preying Mantis
Master in Black Tiger Kung Fu (Hark-Fu)
Master of Chinese Weapons
United States Professional Karate Association Title Holder: Fastest Knockout with a Kick in Full Contact Karate (22.7 seconds)
Amateur Boxer - Rocky Marciano Gym, 1968-1971
Personal Disciple to Abbot of Shaolin Temple

BTW: 22.7 seconds seems like an awfuly slow kick to me...:D

xcakid
12-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Goodness. 10th degree, when did that happen. Black Tiger? Under what lineage.? Preying Mantis? Under what lineage?

WTF?!?!?!

And how come he did not include the crappy B movies he made.

And that whole Shaolin Temple crap is embelished. Discipleship and ambassador due to a contribution made by USSD. He did not even bother naming the Abbot. :D

SenseiShellie
12-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, 10th dan happened a few years ago. It's amazing what you can do when you can...nevermind, I won't say it. However, I was just on the USSD website, and if you look for the Academy, Steve is off the website. None of his regions have an academy. I guess it's a done deal.

xcakid
12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Great, another McDojo in the running courtesy of Steve Demasco. How many school did he have under him? Mainly east coast, CT/NY/NJ if I recall.

SenseiShellie
12-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Great, another McDojo in the running courtesy of Steve Demasco. How many school did he have under him? Mainly east coast, CT/NY/NJ if I recall.

Actually, it's NY (the two that are left there) NH, PA, and there's a school in North Carolina that's not listed.

cjurakpt
12-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Actually, it's NY (the two that are left there)
yeah, one of them is down the street from my son's old pediatrician: I used to hold him up at the window and tell him that this was where the silly people came to play...

doug maverick
12-17-2007, 06:58 PM
i don;t even think the abbot of shaolin knows any kung fu, so why would he want to claim discipleship.

xcakid
12-17-2007, 07:56 PM
i don;t even think the abbot of shaolin knows any kung fu, so why would he want to claim discipleship.

Shhhhh......no one outside Kung Fu practitioners know that. It a great way to charge hundred of dollars for lesson. Keep it on the DL will ya. Shhhhhhh

sun dragon
12-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I heard Steve Demasco left USSD and started his own chain of shaolin kempo schools, can anybody confirm this?

I hear a rumor about Steve Demasco leaving ussd about once a year.
Not surprised Demasco if he did leave he would make more money on his own then with Charles Mattera's greedy organization IMHO.

sun dragon
12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
would not be the first time. he left the system back in the early nineties when he first broke off from villari. then came back. rumor was he was sued by mattera and was forced to come back. don't know if there is any truth to that though. but i was still an instructor back then, and this rumor was being circulated "in house".

Really! So Mattera sued him to come back? Do you remember how long mattera and him fought over it?

I remember Mattera and them trying to get the east coast ussd schools to convert to the west coast prices and losing almost all of the schools. They went down there and talk to all the schools and most just took the ussd signs down and went independent.

Steve never had a whole lot of schools under him but the move on Mattera's part cost him about 20 schools out of the 30 he had, now ussd has about 7 schools on the east coast.

If this is true then mattera probably has 4-5 schools left on the east coast.

xcakid
12-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Really! So Mattera sued him to come back? Do you remember how long mattera and him fought over it?

If I recall correctly the suit was something about breech of contract. It happened shortly after Master Nick Cerios visit to USSD and the demo he performed at the Bren Event center. We did not here about Demasco until he was back again at one of the black belt test the following year.

Again this info is based on rumors and hearsay. I was never pivy to the entire deal.

4u2nv
12-20-2007, 03:31 PM
some investigators you all turned out to be,
the answers are quite simple.
Who is Stephen B. Demasco,
As for the traditional Chinese martial arts.
Not including his kempo back round or boxing.
He Studied the Wah Lum Pai System for 13 yrs in Boston Chinatown
His certification is signed sealed and stamped by there organizations Grandmaster P. Chan,
The Rank Awarded to him 7th level accompanied by the formal Black and Gold Sash that hangs on his wall in his office.
His Certificate dates sometime in the early 80's probably before most of you, not all of you but Most who are posting bull sh:"t about his credentials even stepped on the floor to study the arts.
In the years of his training with the Wah Lum Pai System not once did he incorporate it into his kempo.
He did not teach it to his students as kempo or commercialize it for capital gain.
I asked him one day why he did not teach what he had learned he said out of respect for his teachers.He simply stated i loved the system and its for me my students are learning kempo karate.
Kempo is for the public he said its a wonderful self defense system.
Wah lum is for myself because i choose to spend the 13 yrs to study it.
i was authorized to teach it as well but choose not to because i was not opening a wah lum pai school.
After P. Chan moved to Florida Steve Demasco decided to find another Kung fu legend.
The one he tried to obtain guidance from was Fu Jow Pai Grand Master Wai Hong. although his opportunity to train directly under him was not possible he was shooed away while pushing the buzzer at the schools main entrance many times.
One day he seen a few instructors leaving from a back entrance he tried to enter through. He then met his next instructor that he spent the next 12 years training privately with
Master Tak Wah Eng although through Master Tak Wah Eng,
Steve Demasco was able to eventually take private lessons with grandmaster Wai Hong at that time they were spaced out most of his training came through Master Tak Wah Eng. Fu Jow Pai Southern Weapons As well as Hung gar Northern shaolin what ever tak had to teach Demasco Learned eventually Tak Awarded him a title of Masters level 12 yrs later.
In the year 2003 Steve again took more lessons in Fu Jow Pai From the Great Grandmaster Wai Hong in his apartment in Chinatown. i drove him there.
lets not forget that his trips with ussd to the temple was after he was already awarded the title of honorable Master of the shaolin Temple this was bestowed upon him i think in 1997 on his trip to china to meet the abbot he preformed the Iron wire form as taught to him by Sifu Tak Wah Eng why Would tak wah eng teach someone a form of that level to someone he did not feel deserved it. Steve's performance was well excepted and then awarded the title of ambassador of the temple to the USA . then came the ussd trip the first trip was Steve by his self no money not all the students i have it on tape.
then later he felt so honored by the gesture that he felt the law of reciprocation was in place here so he told the Abbott about the success of his studios which at that time was only about 30 did not include matteras. they discussed a trip and the rest is history as for the ussd Demasco break up its not a break up on bad terms i just got off the phone with GM Demasco and he told me that it is not a hostile break up he has a great deal of respect for the organization. He stated that he and GM Mattera will always be great friends.
this is not about friendship gone bad.
I hope and i am sure this will ruffle a lot of your feather but these are the facts like them or not . do some research call him at his school or get his number off his web site and give Grandmaster Demasco a call.
by the way he kempo is awesome!
respectful hands
4u2nv
as for his knock out, that was after the bell rang silly that comment made even Demasco crack up for about 10 minutes of the phone this morning

xcakid
12-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Oh boy. I feel this thread is also gonna go on forever. :(

Yet another reason why I never regretted stepping out of USSD and back into traditional Kung Fu.

mkriii
12-21-2007, 09:06 AM
This thread is starting to sound a little bit like the Shaolin Do one......lol.

xcakid
12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
This thread is starting to sound a little bit like the Shaolin Do one......lol.

It would really be awesome if those 2 organizations would just merge and get it over with.

mkriii
12-21-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't know much about the USSD org but I think the Shaolin Do organization would be to greedy to want to merge. Although the two seem to be semiliar. I mean GM Sin The' is recognized by the Abbot at the Shaolin temple just as Demasco is. I really can't say much about Demasco because I don't know much about him or his organization. I'm just going by hear say. But yeah that would be cool if the two joined forces together.......lol

4u2nv
12-21-2007, 10:17 AM
It would really be awesome if those 2 organizations would just merge and get it over with.

so who is your teacher and where do you train?
master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.
those are a lot of styles you claim to have mastered your self.

xcakid
12-21-2007, 01:19 PM

:D
I Ching Bu Ti = Itching Buttie (having done it every day for 39yrs. I would say I am a master by now)
I Hung Wei Lo = I'm Hung Way Low (some women have agreed, some have desired more)

CMon now anyone that's been in CMA for any period of time will know there is no such style.

I started in MA studying Sil Lum 5 animal. I really don't recall the full name, we addressed him as Sifu Lee, or lineage of my instructor as I was only 13 then and stayed with him for only a year. I also studied Arnis with a family friend who's style of Arnis came from Ilocos Norte.
I've trained at Ralph Castro Kempo while in H.S. As well continuing my study of Arnis.
Then went in the Military and studied Tae Kwon Do under Seung Ryul Yang (World TKD Fed) It was the only MA I could find that was convenient. Even though I hated it, I managed to get a 1st Degree Black Belt.
Then I got invovled with Villari Kempo, which then became USSD. I also continued to study Arnis, however, my original instructor died and so his son took over teaching me.
After leaving USSD I studied under Sifu Pat DiBattista, GM Leung Shums lineage, in Ying Jow Pai (Northern Eagle Claw) For 2yrs. I also continued studying Arnis.
I took a break from MA for nearly 10yrs. I concentrated on my career and the shooting sports.
Having returned to MA, I currently study Northern Shaolin Long Fist. Where I am currently an asst. instructor. Here's our schools lineage chart (http://www.swyi.com/lineage.htm)

As far as the GUN go pow, I have trained at:

TFTT (http://www.TFTT.com/)
TigerValley (http://www.tigervalley.com/)
Thunder ranch (http://www.thunderranchinc.com/)

I have taken various tactical handgun and carbine courses from the above mentioned training facilities. I also use to compete in IDPA and IPSC competitions 2-3times a month, until about 3yrs ago when my financial commitments changed. NRA and GOA member. Concealed Handgun Licensee.

I know more than others and far less than some people.

4u2nv
12-21-2007, 02:31 PM
I Ching Bu Ti = Itching Buttie
I Hung Wei Lo = I'm Hung Way Low

CMon now anyone that's been in CMA for any period of time will know there is no such style.

I started in MA studying Sil Lum 5 animal. I really don't recall the full name, we addressed him as Sifu Lee, or lineage of my instructor as I was only 13 then and stayed with him for only a year. I also studied Arnis with a family friend who's style of Arnis came from Ilocos Norte.
I've trained at Ralph Castro Kempo while in H.S. As well continuing my study of Arnis.
Then went in the Military and studied Tae Kwon Do under Seung Ryul Yang (World TKD Fed) It was the only MA I could find that was convenient. Even though I hated it, I managed to get a 1st Degree Black Belt.
Then I got invovled with Villari Kempo, which then became USSD. I also continued to study Arnis, however, my original instructor died and so his son took over teaching me.
After leaving USSD I studied under Sifu Pat DiBattista, GM Leung Shums lineage, in Ying Jow Pai (Northern Eagle Claw) For 2yrs. I also continued studying Arnis.
I took a break from MA for nearly 10yrs. I concentrated on my career and the shooting sports.
Having returned to MA, I currently study Northern Shaolin Long Fist. Where I am currently an asst. instructor. Here's our schools lineage chart (http://www.swyi.com/lineage.htm)

As far as the GUN go pow, I have trained at:

TFTT (http://www.TFTT.com/)
TigerValley (http://www.tigervalley.com/)
Thunder ranch (http://www.thunderranchinc.com/)

I have taken various tactical handgun and carbine courses from the above mentioned training facilities. I also use to compete in IDPA and IPSC competitions 2-3times a month, until about 3yrs ago when my financial commitments changed. NRA and GOA member. Concealed Handgun Licensee.

At the end of the day you should judge yourself as much as you care to judge others. Be a leader, Demasco is very talented. He did not jump around from teacher to teacher he was 2nd generation among the Wah lum, yao li Bob rosen those where 1st generation, now he will be flying his own banner good for him.
As for his kempo Demasco has been doing it along time. If you have ever seen him deliver any type of tech, it's worthy of any grandmaster that is out there.
I understand these forums are for both the good the bad the ugly but have respect, practice what you asst. to teach i would not allow an asst. of mine to be on the internet discredited others the way you are.
Keep real to your self because in the end that is all you have.
what we leave behind when were are gone is what matters. The lives of whom you touch today will be the one's who tell your story for years to come.

xcakid
12-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Jumped around cause I moved a lot.

First due to college
Then military
Then my job

With regards to discrediting, I have no problem discrediting anyone associated with USSD with a few exceptions. I have been there and have seen firsthand their business practices. I have been across the courtroom from Mattera. They are the ones living in glass houses and throwing stones. As I have posted before, I will do my best to deter from anyone ever being associated with that organization. Cause as you said "The lives of whom you touch today will be the one's who tell your story for years to come". I would hope those will thank me later on. Kempo is a great art, and there are far better organizations out there to be affiliated with.

I don't doubt Demasco is good at what he does. And with him splitting away from USSD I wish him the best. And hope that he does not take the path USSD took and made it all about business instead of about the arts itself.

sk girl
12-28-2007, 03:36 PM

First due to college
Then military
Then my job

With regards to discrediting, I have no problem discrediting anyone associated with USSD with a few exceptions. I have been there and have seen firsthand their business practices. I have been across the courtroom from Mattera. They are the ones living in glass houses and throwing stones. As I have posted before, I will do my best to deter from anyone ever being associated with that organization. Cause as you said "The lives of whom you touch today will be the one's who tell your story for years to come". I would hope those will thank me later on. Kempo is a great art, and there are far better organizations out there to be affiliated with.

I don't doubt Demasco is good at what he does. And with him splitting away from USSD I wish him the best. And hope that he does not take the path USSD took and made it all about business instead of about the arts itself.

Same here, I don't think anyone should associate with USSD. Their ethics suck!
I hear All of there so called masters have fooled around with their students.

xcakid,Did you sue Mattera and ussd ?

sk girl
12-28-2007, 03:41 PM

Hey 4u2nv,

Welcome to kungfu magazine forum!

Is Grandmaster Demasco going to all the ussd schools and ask them to go with him?

There are so many independent martial arts schools out there on the east coast I figured he would take most of them with him?

Whats Grandmaster Demascos web site now?

xcakid
12-29-2007, 03:15 PM
xcakid,Did you sue Mattera and ussd ?

Nope it was a friend of mine and another former instructor of USSD. He opened up a school and stuff happened. First he sued USSD as a company and won. Then he sued Mattera and Taylor, that one was not for money though. He wanted a written document guaranteeing him that they would not mess with his business whatsoever. He won that one too. I was witness to a couple of the incidents along with some of his students and parents of students. There were a few of us that signed affidavits. I decided to walk into court with him though.

However, he still had to shut down. After that whole thing USSD opened 4 schools within one mile of him and agressively marketed in the area. This was back in the early 90's, he has since started a successfull pool business handling commercial accounts and I went on to a career in financial services.

4u2nv
12-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Hey 4u2nv,

Welcome to kungfu magazine forum!

Is Grandmaster Demasco going to all the ussd schools and ask them to go with him?

There are so many independent martial arts schools out there on the east coast I figured he would take most of them with him?

Whats Grandmaster Demascos web site now?
he will have a web site up any day now. i am sure on there will be more information. As for now i know that he and black belt magizine has teamed up to do a trip to the temple in china. as for him taken on other independent schools, i dont know, Demasco does not give rank away to anyone you have to earn it from him. He has to respect you enough to think you are worthy of the level.
i am sure there will be lots of people intersted in his new organization or what ever it is he does.
now since he is not with ussd i am sure there will be some schools out there that would like be affiliated. i am sure he will be puttting something together.

sun dragon
01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
4u2nv

Did master Joe Moscatelli leave with GM Demasco?

sun dragon
01-03-2008, 04:01 PM

First due to college
Then military
Then my job

It's a good thing we are on here talking about the way ussd runs their shaddy business practices.

All the students of ussd should know that they don't practice what they preach IMHO.
Stealing schools from Grandmaster Fred Villari in 1990,
Talking bad about your former Grandmaster after you steal from him.
Harassing schools that leave your shady organization.
Mattera and his masters sleeping with students cause they can't get a date from anyone else IMHO
(Charles Mattera's kids are from a villari student)

Paying there instructors as 1099's no taxes taken out and working them 50 plus hours a week with set hours(highly illegal).

Where's the honor in there martial art if they don't have any themselfs?:confused:

This not directed towards GD Demasco.

4u2nv
01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
4u2nv

Did master Joe Moscatelli leave with GM Demasco?
As far as i know master Joe Moscatell is still with ussd.
GM Demasco will have his new web site up soon.
i would have to say with in the next week or so.
i am looking forward to it myself.
i have seen the new logo, i have to admit its neat.
i will see if i can post the logo on here, Could someone tell me how to do it. i am not to familiar with how to post pics.

MadamKicksAlot
01-04-2008, 01:24 PM

Yes he is.

sk girl
01-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Yes he is.

How many schools does Master Moscatell have now?

SenseiShellie
01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
I believe he has 5 schools in CT.

sk girl
01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I believe he has 5 schools in CT.

Do you think he will stay with Mattera?

I did not see the Pennsylvania school on the Ussd web site, did they go With Demasco?

sk girl
01-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Yes he is.

How many Masters does Demasco have under him?

SenseiShellie
01-04-2008, 03:55 PM
He will more than likely stay with Mattera. He was sent to CT from CA...so, I would assume he would stay.

As far as Penn. goes, I think they went with DeMasco. I could be wrong, but I think that's what happened...

sk girl
01-04-2008, 04:01 PM
He will more than likely stay with Mattera. He was sent to CT from CA...so, I would assume he would stay.

As far as Penn. goes, I think they went with DeMasco. I could be wrong, but I think that's what happened...

Why would he stay with Mattera?

I think Demasco would let you buy a school 100% opposed to mattera who wont.

USSD schools are surrounded by Villari Masters and Villari breakoffs, why not alline yourself with a tenth degree who's close by you?

SenseiShellie
01-04-2008, 04:15 PM
As far as I know, USSD in CT is as separate as you can get without being separate.

sk girl
01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
As far as I know, USSD in CT is as separate as you can get without being separate.

Do they charge less then rest of USSD?

Are they run different?

SenseiShellie
01-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Nope. Same rates. They are just different.

MadamKicksAlot
01-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Why would he stay with Mattera?

I think Demasco would let you buy a school 100% opposed to mattera who wont.

USSD schools are surrounded by Villari Masters and Villari breakoffs, why not alline yourself with a tenth degree who's close by you?

He would stay because that's where he came from in the first place, and that's who he's loyal to.

If PA goes it's because Pennsylvania was opened by Grandmaster DeMasco's people in the first place.

CT isn't separate. It's just far away from everyone else. There isn't much contact with anyone beyond CT.

MadamKicksAlot
01-04-2008, 08:57 PM
I am very happy for Grandmaster DeMasco. He deserves this and has greatly earned it for himself. He is an unbelievable martial artist and a very humble human being who I have great respect for. There definitely isn't any bad blood between the Professor and Grandmaster DeMasco. It's just something that Grandmaster DeMasco needs to do for himself. Why shouldn't he go ahead with this new venture? I mean think about it...he's a 10th degree blackbelt who has a lot to offer to the world of Martial Arts. Clearly he is underacknowledged, and for no good reason. He could do so much more and so much better on his own. I give him a lot of credit for sticking with USSD for as long as he did. I look forward to seeing where this leads him and wish him all of the success in the world, despite what anyone may think of him or of USSD.

NJM
01-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I am very happy for Grandmaster DeMasco. He deserves this and has greatly earned it for himself. He is an unbelievable martial artist and a very humble human being who I have great respect for. There definitely isn't any bad blood between the Professor and Grandmaster DeMasco. It's just something that Grandmaster DeMasco needs to do for himself. Why shouldn't he go ahead with this new venture? I mean think about it...he's a 10th degree blackbelt who has a lot to offer to the world of Martial Arts. Clearly he is underacknowledged, and for no good reason. He could do so much more and so much better on his own. I give him a lot of credit for sticking with USSD for as long as he did. I look forward to seeing where this leads him and wish him all of the success in the world, despite what anyone may think of him or of USSD.

No.

MadamKicksAlot
01-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Why "no"? i'm just being positive. Isn't that part of what Martial Arts is supposed to bring into your life? It's apparent many people have lost track of what's important regarding Martial Arts, whether they be with USSD or with any other school for that matter. Everything I read is either badmouthing someone or something, and completely negative comments floating all over the place. Anyone that says they actually enjoy training with certain people gets treated terribly and brought down. It isn't right. I'm not saying that there ISN'T negative attributes to certain organizations. I'm just saying - why put so much focus and energy into the promoting gossip and rumors when you could be putting that focus and energy into the thing you claim you love - your martial arts, your schools and your students. If an organization or instructor is so bad to you - then instead of spending all of your time telling everyone how bad they are, strive to work hard and be better than them. Lead by example. I don't see how the arguing and bickering could possibly encourage anyone to want to get involved with the martial arts.

sun dragon
01-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Why "no"? i'm just being positive. Isn't that part of what Martial Arts is supposed to bring into your life? It's apparent many people have lost track of what's important regarding Martial Arts, whether they be with USSD or with any other school for that matter. Everything I read is either badmouthing someone or something, and completely negative comments floating all over the place. Anyone that says they actually enjoy training with certain people gets treated terribly and brought down. It isn't right. I'm not saying that there ISN'T negative attributes to certain organizations. I'm just saying - why put so much focus and energy into the promoting gossip and rumors when you could be putting that focus and energy into the thing you claim you love - your martial arts, your schools and your students. If an organization or instructor is so bad to you - then instead of spending all of your time telling everyone how bad they are, strive to work hard and be better than them. Lead by example. I don't see how the arguing and bickering could possibly encourage anyone to want to get involved with the martial arts.

MadamKicksAlot,

Ask your instructor why ussd attacks Dojos that break away from them?

Do you not think we should not tell ussd students what they do behind the scenes?

Do you think that is the kind of behavior that MASTERS SHOULD CONDUCT THEMSELFS especially when children look up to them???

If you think being a bully is the right thing to do, then your in the right place with ussd pal!

sun dragon
01-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Do they charge less then rest of USSD?

Are they run different?

If they are smart they'll break away from them and join Grandmaster Demasco or Shihan Ingargiola in New York http://www.shaolinkempo.com/

I'm sure they will let them own there dojo's 100%

MadamKicksAlot
01-05-2008, 05:50 PM
MadamKicksAlot,

Ask your instructor why ussd attacks Dojos that break away from them?

Do you not think we should not tell ussd students what they do behind the scenes?

Do you think that is the kind of behavior that MASTERS SHOULD CONDUCT THEMSELFS especially when children look up to them???

If you think being a bully is the right thing to do, then your in the right place with ussd pal!

First and foremost, that was a perfect example of what I was just posting about. Complete lack of respect. You're calling me "pal" as if you know me, and assuming i'm a student and not an instructor, which I find funny. You were also assuming that I was defending USSD, which I wasn't. I was defending Grandmaster DeMasco's decision to break away and merely expressing my opinion on how people spend way too much time being negative nancy's.

Steeeve
01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Just for Clarification here

Kenpo is a japenese arts with some influenced of chinese and the Filipino....

Shaolin Kenpo ...or shaolin kempo and all the off shoot have nothing to do with the CMA or the Filipino art .....the only one are Kajukenbo and the Ed Parker Kenpo who give birth to all the others style in America...... Nick Cerios ,George Presare,and so on came from Parker or Emperado Kajukenbo......even the Shaolin Kempo of Villari came from Cerio......Damascos came from Villari.......

So dont try to put Chinese Martial Arts in Ur style ......You dont have any connection with any Chinese MA....Im a Kajukenbo Players BTW and I know

Steeve

4u2nv
01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
If they are smart they'll break away from them and join Grandmaster Demasco or Shihan Ingargiola in New York http://www.shaolinkempo.com/

Just spoke with Grandmaster Demasco,
he is not selling rank.
Never has never will.
He has nothing against the way ussd runs there business, that works for them so be it.
After all these years of training he would like to do what he feels is best for him.
He will be offering a affiliate program or two types.
1. a shaolin chuan fa program ( and no he is not creating a new style all of his years of teaching he has always called what he does shaolin chuan fa.
2 . he will be offering a shaolin training program based on what he has learned in the chinese arts for the past 25 to 30 yrs of training in them.
Under his guidance people who feel like they want to be apart of what he has to offer will own 100% of there own schools.
black belt mag will be covering a story on all the questions many people will have over the next few months. He told me he enjoyed the time spent with ussd said they will always do well with what they offer. Regardless of what many think.
Many think that GM Mattera tried to sue GM demasco many years ago to stay, from what i know this is not true but i will ask about it when i speak to him tomorrow.
GM demasco will be doing a seminar in california some time soon. This seminar will be on Shaolin Chuan Fa self defense. The seminar will be held at a old student of Demasco's that he has never lost touch with Demasco through every thing and anything that has happened with him.
No it is not a ussd school that will be hosting the seminar.
I will keep all posted if you are interested. I am not sure yet if it will be a closed door seminar.
Demasco has been asked to travel all over the world to lecture, do seminars he has always felt that what he offers is for his students that are with him so he always respectfully refused to do them. I am not sure if this will change or not but i know that many things about him has. I think everyone will see a Stephen Demasco they have never seen before.
How many of you have actually seen him perform preying mantis or black tiger, fu hok or shaolin.
If you have not seen him apply self defense then you need to before judging him.
i will be spending thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday with him. Also like i stated in previous post call him he is a pleasure to speak to. He knows his stuff come on if you studied wah lum pai for 13 years your going to learn something, if you studied under master Tak Wah Eng for 12 years your goining to learn something thing . Demasco never boosts about his Mantis or even advertises it he gives the black tiger a bit of exposure because he learned the iron wire from master Tak Wah and feels that form is what opened the door to shaolin for him.This was before he brought students there. In 1997 when he went there by himself no big ussd group. At that time he talked with the abbott for sometime about his up brining not really the arts. They then moved to the court yard where the abbott had two of his guys waiting for them perform. One of them performed a tiger form of some sort and the other a mantis. Then the Abbott asked Demasco to take the floor so he did.
Demasco performed the Iron wire and then demonstrated self defense.
The rest is history.
Demasco's feels bringing students to the temple is a way of giving back to the temple.
bringing students to the temple was and still is many students of the arts dream.
By the way he wanted to thank all of you who wished him good luck on his venture, he hopes to cross paths with all of you some time in the near future.
respectfulhands,
4u2nv

14 Kempo
01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
i have seen the new logo, i have to admit its neat.
i will see if i can post the logo on here, Could someone tell me how to do it. i am not to familiar with how to post pics.

Looks like to add a pic ...
1. Click on the 'paper clip' symbol, a new screen will open.
2. Click on the 'Browse' button, find your pic.
3. Click on the 'Upload' button on the far right.

Hopefully that will do it, unless they have rules that deny the ability if not a paid member.

4u2nv
01-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Looks like to add a pic ...
1. Click on the 'paper clip' symbol, a new screen will open.
2. Click on the 'Browse' button, find your pic.
3. Click on the 'Upload' button on the far right.

Hopefully that will do it, unless they have rules that deny the ability if not a paid member.

san diego kempo where do you train
i tryed to load it the file is too big it says

KFNOOB
01-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Is Ingargiola's place good? Im looking for a school. Thanks.

SenseiShellie
01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Ingargiola teaches Shaolin Kempo. I thought you wanted a traditional KF style?

SenseiShellie
01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
san diego kempo where do you train
i tryed to load it the file is too big it says

Maybe you should load the file to a photobucket page and then post a link...

KFNOOB
01-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Ingargiola teaches Shaolin Kempo. I thought you wanted a traditional KF style?

Yea, but now I read this. If Ingargiola is good maybe I'll try it. I was told to stay clear of Shaolin Kempo.

SenseiShellie
01-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Which goes back to my original question...where are you located?

KFNOOB
01-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Long Island, not far from Ingargiola.

SenseiShellie
01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
http://www.martialartsny.com/longisland/kungfu.html

check out the schools here. if you really want to go to a kempo school, i would suggest the following schools

http://tryuskarate.com/index2.htm or this one http://www.realkempokarate.com/

4u2nv
01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
http://www.martialartsny.com/longisland/kungfu.html

check out the schools here. if you really want to go to a kempo school, i would suggest the following schools

http://tryuskarate.com/index2.htm or this one http://www.realkempokarate.com/

here is GM Demasco's New Logo
Enjoy folks

4u2nv
01-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Long Island, not far from Ingargiola.

GM Demasco has a school in floral park i was told.
Mastrer Larry Bortiz is in commack Long Island his Ph: 631 4992467
he teaches Kempo And trains directly under master with Master Tak Wah Eng.
Master Tom teaches Kempo and is very good he trains under Prof. Kimo out of Hawaii he was a student of Walter Godins.
MAster Larry offers two program seperate from each other.
Shaolin Kung fu from Tak , Kempo or Chuan fa from Demasco.
try us karate
Rich Spatola
Enzo Aliotta
They were with Demasco broke away yrs ago went on to train mixed martial arts.
Also kung fu with Tak Wah.
both are ranked through Master TAk.
Sifu Enzo teaches kung fu but on a private bases only.The way Sifu Enzo had learned it him self. they mainly teach Kempo, mixed martial arts.
Sifu Enzo is one of the best Kempo guys on the Island no BULL. Fast, strong, great sense of timing and excellent at dropping people regardless of what belt they claim to wear around there waist. Not the type of guy to play games with very humble striaght forward, to the point. He has won many Yees traditional kung fu tournements for fighting an forms many other competeions as well.

bummer is that although he is so talented in bought teaching and fighting. It stinks that he does not teach kung fu that often to the general public anymore. He does incorporate it in his kempo. but that principals consepts to help deliver the kempo the way a shaolin fighter would .
He did have a great kung fu following then after the students made it to black belt which was about 25 of them his cancelled the class and has been teaching them privately since.
i Have watched him fight for the yrs. when he was a youngster up until his mid twentys.
any way i hope that helps who ever is looking for instruction on the island . by the way he is out east more.

xcakid
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Is Ingargiola's place good? Im looking for a school. Thanks.

Well since no one has asked this question, and its the most important question when starting out in the martial arts, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF YOUR TRAINING?

By answering this question, you can better answer the question of "good school" for you.

If you only want to learn to fight, going to a GOOD Wushu school will not be your cup of tea. If you want to learn traditional way, going to a GOOD San Da school will not be good for you. If you are just doing it to stay in shape, a GOOD traditional school will not be good for you.

Kinda like taking up cycling. If you want to learn to compete professionally you would not go to a class that teaches recreational cycling. See what I mean here.

What do you want out of your martial arts training. Fight, Forms, Fitness, etc.

4u2nv
01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Well since no one has asked this question, and its the most important question when starting out in the martial arts, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF YOUR TRAINING?

By answering this question, you can better answer the question of "good school" for you.

If you only want to learn to fight, going to a GOOD Wushu school will not be your cup of tea. If you want to learn traditional way, going to a GOOD San Da school will not be good for you. If you are just doing it to stay in shape, a GOOD traditional school will not be good for you.

Kinda like taking up cycling. If you want to learn to compete professionally you would not go to a class that teaches recreational cycling. See what I mean here.

What do you want out of your martial arts training. Fight, Forms, Fitness, etc.
i Agree with him you have to know what your destination is or like My Grandmaster Wai Hong States you are like a blind man, on a blind horse in the dark,
You do know where you are going, how to get there and where to start...

KFNOOB
01-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Not looking to compete. Looking to learn, enjot myself. A means of exercizing, fitness, increase flexibility. While Im at it learn some self defense...something Im always interested in.

I am training in another art that I believe offers this but am looking at TCMA to be an art to learn, accomplish goals etc.

xcakid
01-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Not looking to compete. Looking to learn, enjot myself. A means of exercizing, fitness, increase flexibility. While Im at it learn some self defense...something Im always interested in.

I am training in another art that I believe offers this but am looking at TCMA to be an art to learn, accomplish goals etc.

Ahhh...I see. In that case a traditional kwoon may really be where you need to be. Don't know much about this school and how close it is to you. However, I have heard decent things about it on the few discussion boards I read. Its a good style as well, hung gar.

http://www.lingnamsiulum.com/

Traditional training tend to have a slower progression. Great emphasis on learning proper technique and structure before progressing, rather than just learning the movements. Some gets frustrated cause they feel they are not learing anything. However, they do not realize that they are in the building stage in the beginning. This means stance training, body conditioning, and learning proper structure to perfom more advanced level techniques later.

Lots of good teacher in the LI/NY area. Take your time to look around. Took my 5yrs to find a good sifu after I moved to the Dallas area. Also if you sniff out a Kung Fu competition in the area. Go to it. Watch the competitors. If you find one or a group from a school that impresses you, ask them where they study. If its not nearby, see if maybe they know of a place nearby. Lots of schools know each other through seminars or by reputation.

Good luck in your search. Hopefully I was able to give you some pointers. Too bad your not in Dallas area, I could've invited you to our school. :)

KFNOOB
01-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks. I have heard good things about that place. I like his philosopht (according to his website). Only question is schedule. He doesnt have a lot of class times. Looking also at this place www.nymatc.com which is more in the Jeet Kune Do class, heavy on conditioing though so may be too simlar to what Im doing now.

Do you know of Sifu Charles Chi at www.nymatc.com?

xcakid
01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks. I have heard good things about that place. I like his philosopht (according to his website). Only question is schedule. He doesnt have a lot of class times. Looking also at this place www.nymatc.com which is more in the Jeet Kune Do class, heavy on conditioing though so may be too simlar to what Im doing now.

Do you know of Sifu Charles Chi at www.nymatc.com?

No. Only people I know of in the NYC areas are the Ying Jow Pai (Eagle Claw) guys since I took that system many years back. Its been years so I am also a bit out of the loop there.

Go and observe a few classes. See if it suits you.

TenTigers
01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
KFNOOB-feel free to call the Mo-Kwoon @(631)351-1556
perhaps we are what you are looking for. I no longer post on this forum, so any further communication must be made by phone or e-mail.
Sifu Rik Kellerman
Ten Tigers Kung-Fu Academy
Long Island, NY
Siu Lum Hung-Kuen (Hung-Ga Kung-Fu)

sk girl
01-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Just spoke with Grandmaster Demasco,
he is not selling rank.
Never has never will.
He has nothing against the way ussd runs there business, that works for them so be it.
After all these years of training he would like to do what he feels is best for him.
He will be offering a affiliate program or two types.
1. a shaolin chuan fa program ( and no he is not creating a new style all of his years of teaching he has always called what he does shaolin chuan fa.
2 . he will be offering a shaolin training program based on what he has learned in the chinese arts for the past 25 to 30 yrs of training in them.
Under his guidance people who feel like they want to be apart of what he has to offer will own 100% of there own schools.
black belt mag will be covering a story on all the questions many people will have over the next few months. He told me he enjoyed the time spent with ussd said they will always do well with what they offer. Regardless of what many think.
Many think that GM Mattera tried to sue GM demasco many years ago to stay, from what i know this is not true but i will ask about it when i speak to him tomorrow.
GM demasco will be doing a seminar in california some time soon. This seminar will be on Shaolin Chuan Fa self defense. The seminar will be held at a old student of Demasco's that he has never lost touch with Demasco through every thing and anything that has happened with him.
No it is not a ussd school that will be hosting the seminar.
I will keep all posted if you are interested. I am not sure yet if it will be a closed door seminar.
Demasco has been asked to travel all over the world to lecture, do seminars he has always felt that what he offers is for his students that are with him so he always respectfully refused to do them. I am not sure if this will change or not but i know that many things about him has. I think everyone will see a Stephen Demasco they have never seen before.
How many of you have actually seen him perform preying mantis or black tiger, fu hok or shaolin.
If you have not seen him apply self defense then you need to before judging him.
i will be spending thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday with him. Also like i stated in previous post call him he is a pleasure to speak to. He knows his stuff come on if you studied wah lum pai for 13 years your going to learn something, if you studied under master Tak Wah Eng for 12 years your goining to learn something thing . Demasco never boosts about his Mantis or even advertises it he gives the black tiger a bit of exposure because he learned the iron wire from master Tak Wah and feels that form is what opened the door to shaolin for him.This was before he brought students there. In 1997 when he went there by himself no big ussd group. At that time he talked with the abbott for sometime about his up brining not really the arts. They then moved to the court yard where the abbott had two of his guys waiting for them perform. One of them performed a tiger form of some sort and the other a mantis. Then the Abbott asked Demasco to take the floor so he did.
Demasco performed the Iron wire and then demonstrated self defense.
The rest is history.
Demasco's feels bringing students to the temple is a way of giving back to the temple.
bringing students to the temple was and still is many students of the arts dream.
By the way he wanted to thank all of you who wished him good luck on his venture, he hopes to cross paths with all of you some time in the near future.
respectfulhands,
4u2nv

So he approves of ussd's mafiso tactics? If so I would not associate with him if thats the path he is going down.

MadamKicksAlot
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
So he approves of ussd's mafiso tactics? If so I would not associate with him if thats the path he is going down.

Definitely not. He's merely saying what USSD does works for them and he respects that. Sounds like a respectful, non confrontational response to me, which is the way it should be. Why would someone leave a company only to create a new company that is exactly like the one they left? For prestige? No, trust me. This isn't about prestige. Give it time and don't count your chickens before they've hatched. Too much speculating and not enough "let's wait and see".

sk girl
01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Definitely not. He's merely saying what USSD does works for them and he respects that. Sounds like a respectful, non confrontational response to me, which is the way it should be. Why would someone leave a company only to create a new company that is exactly like the one they left? For prestige? No, trust me. This isn't about prestige. Give it time and don't count your chickens before they've hatched. Too much speculating and not enough "let's wait and see".

When you said , He has nothing against the way ussd runs there business.

Thats where I have a problem with him.:mad:

Ussd has a good marketing strategy and thats it.

The way they run their business sucks imho.

No sales tax license. They have to know thats illegal they own Bushido martial arts supplies. They could goto jail for a long time for that.

Paying their instructors 1009's with set hours. Thats really illegal!

Harassing breakoff schools because they don't want to do work with ussd no more. Thats why Richard Black is a convicted felon for beating up another karate school guy and HIS WIFE WHO WAS HOLDING A BABY!!!

NOW TELL ME HONESTLY DO YOU THINK USSD SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO RUN KARATE SCHOOLS?

I 'm so waiting for your reply.

MadamKicksAlot
01-11-2008, 09:25 PM
When you said , He has nothing against the way ussd runs there business.

Thats where I have a problem with him.:mad:

Ussd has a good marketing strategy and thats it.

The way they run their business sucks imho.

No sales tax license. They have to know thats illegal they own Bushido martial arts supplies. They could goto jail for a long time for that.

Paying their instructors 1009's with set hours. Thats really illegal!

Harassing breakoff schools because they don't want to do work with ussd no more. Thats why Richard Black is a convicted felon for beating up another karate school guy and HIS WIFE WHO WAS HOLDING A BABY!!!

NOW TELL ME HONESTLY DO YOU THINK USSD SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO RUN KARATE SCHOOLS?

I 'm so waiting for your reply.

Interesting how you're snapping at me for something someone ELSE is quoted as saying. I have never once stated that I dont' have a problem with the way they run their operations. I think i have pretty good idea of what it's like to be on the short end of the stick. That's a story for another day. But anyhow...it isn't my job to be negative. I firmly believe those who are bad WILL successfully run themselves into the ground, in the long run, and do not need my assistance. I sincerely believe that what goes around, comes around. So i need not worry :)

As for Grandmaster DeMasco...i'm almost certain his comments regarding USSD are meant to be polite and non confrontational. He's off on his own venture and doesn't need to be starting a company by bad mouthing another. He's doing the respectful, ethical thing and you can't blame him for that.

sk girl
01-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Interesting how you're snapping at me for something someone ELSE is quoted as saying. I have never once stated that I dont' have a problem with the way they run their operations. I think i have pretty good idea of what it's like to be on the short end of the stick. That's a story for another day. But anyhow...it isn't my job to be negative. I firmly believe those who are bad WILL successfully run themselves into the ground, in the long run, and do not need my assistance. I sincerely believe that what goes around, comes around. So i need not worry :)

As for Grandmaster DeMasco...i'm almost certain his comments regarding USSD are meant to be polite and non confrontational. He's off on his own venture and doesn't need to be starting a company by bad mouthing another. He's doing the respectful, ethical thing and you can't blame him for that.

Then you should not have answered it.

The question were for 4u2

You still did not answer my questions.

MadamKicksAlot
01-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Wow, Have an attitude problem much?

sk girl
01-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Wow, Have an attitude problem much?

I'm sorry if I offended you MadamKicksAlot. I have been burned bad by ussd and only wish for them to close down.

Every ussd instructor on here refuses to answer my questions including you.

I only wish people to know what slime balls Mattera,Taylor and his cronies really are. They destroy peoples lives and only care about the all mighty $$$$$$$

If you leave ussd you would find out that these smiling faces turn to anger pretty quick.

They attack other dojos not just ones that leave them other ones in the town their in that make too much money.

I wanted you to ask your Master my questions so he could look you in the face and ether lie to you and say these claims are bogus or say he doesn't approve of Mattera's mafios tactics

I am sorry I snapped at you.

cjurakpt
01-29-2008, 04:45 PM
boy, Eng Tak Wah has really found a second life as an icon of the Kem/npo world...

MadamKicksAlot
01-30-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm sorry if I offended you MadamKicksAlot. I have been burned bad by ussd and only wish for them to close down.

Every ussd instructor on here refuses to answer my questions including you.

I only wish people to know what slime balls Mattera,Taylor and his cronies really are. They destroy peoples lives and only care about the all mighty $$$$$$$

If you leave ussd you would find out that these smiling faces turn to anger pretty quick.

They attack other dojos not just ones that leave them other ones in the town their in that make too much money.

I wanted you to ask your Master my questions so he could look you in the face and ether lie to you and say these claims are bogus or say he doesn't approve of Mattera's mafios tactics

I am sorry I snapped at you.

Apology accepted. However, had i noticed you asking me a question directly I would have responded promptly. Ask whatever you like. As for whether or not i'm an instructor for ussd...well, i don't believe I ever said i was, did I? That's an assumption you decided to make.
You are not telling me anything I don't already know about USSD. I understand your hostility. You don't know my story at all - but I don't make it my duty in life to go around being negative. It isn't healthy, and i am not going to put effort in to distracting myself from what's important. You have little faith in karma. Company's with bad business ethics eventually self implode. Whether it's next year or 15 years from now...it will happen.

sk girl
01-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Apology accepted. However, had i noticed you asking me a question directly I would have responded promptly. Ask whatever you like. As for whether or not i'm an instructor for ussd...well, i don't believe I ever said i was, did I? That's an assumption you decided to make.
You are not telling me anything I don't already know about USSD. I understand your hostility. You don't know my story at all - but I don't make it my duty in life to go around being negative. It isn't healthy, and i am not going to put effort in to distracting myself from what's important. You have little faith in karma. Company's with bad business ethics eventually self implode. Whether it's next year or 15 years from now...it will happen.

No worries.:) I'm just giving karma a little push LOL!

If MLK never spoke out where would we be right now?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

-Edmund Burke

SenseiShellie
01-30-2008, 01:12 PM
boy, Eng Tak Wah has really found a second life as an icon of the Kem/npo world...

where are you getting your information from?

sk girl
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM
where are you getting your information from?

I think he might mean Grandmaster Tak Wah Eng is getting all the kempo instructors that ussd has burned?:confused:

SenseiShellie
01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Tak Wah Eng doesn't teach anymore though....so, once again, where are you getting your source?

sk girl
01-31-2008, 09:14 AM
i just saw Demasco's china trip in Black Belt magazine.
$4,500 bucks and you get three days of training at the temple.

MadamKicksAlot
01-31-2008, 09:20 AM
That also includes flights, 13 days stay, meals, and transportation/flights within China. It's a bargain, especially considering when you try to do put together a trip by yourself you'll end up spending a heck of a lot more for a lot less stuff.

sk girl
01-31-2008, 09:31 AM
That also includes flights, 13 days stay, meals, and transportation/flights within China. It's a bargain, especially considering when you try to do put together a trip by yourself you'll end up spending a heck of a lot more for a lot less stuff.

Not a bad deal at all. At Ussd you only learned one form and spent the rest of the time sight seeing. I had students complain about the trip to China. Testing in the hotel parking lot. Had to buy your belt back home after you spent $400 for a black belt test that was supposed to be at the Shaolin Temple.

Will Granmaster Demasco be doing tests at the temple?

MadamKicksAlot
01-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Any information like that I would jus tcontact him and ask him about directly :) This trip will be fantastic.

sk girl
01-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Any information like that I would jus tcontact him and ask him about directly :) This trip will be fantastic.

Thanks Just curious if he would test you at the Shaolin Temple.
Are you going?

I heard Ussd is going in 2009.

MadamKicksAlot
01-31-2008, 09:37 AM
I would love to go, but i think i'm gonna catch the next one. I have too much to take care of on the home front :) I'm still pumped about it, though! haha.

sk girl
01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
I would love to go, but i think i'm gonna catch the next one. I have too much to take care of on the home front :) I'm still pumped about it, though! haha.

It would be funny if you guys went the same time as ussd.

cjurakpt
01-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Tak Wah Eng doesn't teach anymore though....so, once again, where are you getting your source?

seriously?

well, for example, one link posted earlier on this thread, the instructors re Ken/mpo and also trained with him:
http://tryuskarate.com/index2.htm

also, if I am not mistaken, DeMasco trained with him as well, so that counts I imagine;

and finally, from Tak Wah's own website that lists affiliated schools in his federation, they are all Ken/mpo:
http://www.takwahfederation.com/homepagelinks/members.html

so what am I missing here?

SenseiShellie
01-31-2008, 04:09 PM
ok...first off, look when the second website was last revised. It was in 2004...that's 4 years ago! Things change in the course of 4 years.

Secondly, Tak Wah Eng doesn't teach Steve DeMasco anymore...that's a closed case on that one.

Third of all, what's wrong with Kempo people just wanting to learn Kung Fu? You can take Kung Fu classes and not have it interfere with your Kempo training. However, I know for a fact that a lot of the schools on that list just belong to the Federation for the name.

It's so much fun when people just talk about things they know nothing about.

cjurakpt
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
ok...first off, look when the second website was last revised. It was in 2004...that's 4 years ago! Things change in the course of 4 years.
that's irrelevant; the point is that since the last time I saw Eng Tak Wah, which was in the early 90's, he was teaching a relatively small number of students in a tiny studio on Bowery; meaning that, for a time, his fortunes as an MA teacher were not too bright, and he was a relatively minor personality in the world of TCMA (largely eclipsed by the shadow of his uncle); TBH, his general rep in that community was less than stellar; then, at some later point in time, he obviously had a bit of a personal renaissance as a teacher by breaking into the ken/mpo world, where he is evidently well regarded and revered as a "Grandmaster"; which was my original point, that he had a personal resurgence in that community; and that was about it, nothing beyond that; why is this difficult for you to understand?

Secondly, Tak Wah Eng doesn't teach Steve DeMasco anymore...that's a closed case on that one.
fine, but he did teach him at one point; and Demasco evidently thought very highly of him at one point

Third of all, what's wrong with Kempo people just wanting to learn Kung Fu?
um, nothing; please indicate where I stated or implied that there is something wrong with that?

You can take Kung Fu classes and not have it interfere with your Kempo training.
okay, whatever, no argument there...again, what does this have to do with anything I posted?

However, I know for a fact that a lot of the schools on that list just belong to the Federation for the name.
ok, but the fact is, they are on that list, which basically reinforces my original point, which was that Eng Tak Wah has (or at one point had) become a respected personality within the ken/mpo world; in fact, he must be held in wide esteem in that community if it serves schools to be affiliated in name only

It's so much fun when people just talk about things they know nothing about.
I see...:rolleyes:

SenseiShellie
02-01-2008, 04:56 PM
that's irrelevant; the point is that since the last time I saw Eng Tak Wah, which was in the early 90's, he was teaching a relatively small number of students in a tiny studio on Bowery; meaning that, for a time, his fortunes as an MA teacher were not too bright, and he was a relatively minor personality in the world of TCMA (largely eclipsed by the shadow of his uncle); TBH, his general rep in that community was less than stellar; then, at some later point in time, he obviously had a bit of a personal renaissance as a teacher by breaking into the ken/mpo world, where he is evidently well regarded and revered as a "Grandmaster"; which was my original point, that he had a personal resurgence in that community; and that was about it, nothing beyond that; why is this difficult for you to understand?

If you go and look at those people's websites, he's not their Grandmaster for Kempo. Their Grandmaster is Professor Kimo. He teaches his own style when you can actually catch him. He really doesn't teach anymore though. The last time I saw him, which was definitely more recent than you have, he wasn't teaching.

fine, but he did teach him at one point; and Demasco evidently thought very highly of him at one point

The fact of the matter is he doesn't now. Plus, Steve DeMasco isn't really teaching Kempo anymore...it's his own thing now.

um, nothing; please indicate where I stated or implied that there is something wrong with that?

I never said that. I was posing a question to you. However, most Shaolin Kempo people look to fill the Kung Fu void in their training by supplementing it with other styles of Kung Fu. However, after a while, they offer it as a SEPARATE program

ok, but the fact is, they are on that list, which basically reinforces my original point, which was that Eng Tak Wah has (or at one point had) become a respected personality within the ken/mpo world; in fact, he must be held in wide esteem in that community if it serves schools to be affiliated in name only

He was respected for his Kung Fu style. This way they can teach Kung Fu as a separate program in their schools. It has nothing to do with Kempo. If you go to the West Coast Martial Arts Academy he also has Wai Hong on there.

cjurakpt
02-01-2008, 05:53 PM
of course the ken/mpo and FJP are two different things and ETW is not a ken/mpo GM - obviously that's true; if you go back and read my original post, you will see that I said that within "the ken/mpo world" he is (or was) popular; in other words, he didn't go into the TKD or BJJ community and gain acceptance; he stepped out of the TCMA community where he really wasn't all that big of a deal and found an eager audience in the ken/mpo sphere, which probably saw him in a different light - regardless of what he taught or how that material was absorbed / integrated by those students, they were ken/mpo to begin with;

and so if he's not teaching anymore, ok, whatever; but at least for a while he had been in that arena and was apparently well regarded by at least a number of schools / individuals; the fact is, in the TCMA community, FJP isn't regarded as any more special than any number of similar southern styles - however, if, as you say, one is a ken/mpo student looking to fill a "kung fu void", then it actually fits that bill rather nicely

it's interesting that he's not teaching anymore though - why do you think that is the case?

SenseiShellie
02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
of course the ken/mpo and FJP are two different things and ETW is not a ken/mpo GM - obviously that's true; if you go back and read my original post, you will see that I said that within "the ken/mpo world" he is (or was) popular; in other words, he didn't go into the TKD or BJJ community and gain acceptance; he stepped out of the TCMA community where he really wasn't all that big of a deal and found an eager audience in the ken/mpo sphere, which probably saw him in a different light - regardless of what he taught or how that material was absorbed / integrated by those students, they were ken/mpo to begin with;

and so if he's not teaching anymore, ok, whatever; but at least for a while he had been in that arena and was apparently well regarded by at least a number of schools / individuals; the fact is, in the TCMA community, FJP isn't regarded as any more special than any number of similar southern styles - however, if, as you say, one is a ken/mpo student looking to fill a "kung fu void", then it actually fits that bill rather nicely

it's interesting that he's not teaching anymore though - why do you think that is the case?

I just re-read your original post. Sorry...I should learn to read when I don't have a migraine.

Usually the kung fu void is what kempo students are trying to fill.

I have no idea why he doesn't teach anymore. From what I understand, it's only a select few that he'll teach, very speratically, and it's private lesson only. Classes at the school are run by other instructors.

sk girl
02-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Heres a school thats affiliated with Grandmaster Tak http://www.georgetownmartialartscenter.com/

They have a 9th degree there Brain Hanson. Is he an ex Fred Villari guy?

MadamKicksAlot
02-04-2008, 04:53 PM
No, he's ex ussd. They all are.

14 Kempo
02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
No, he's ex ussd. They all are.

Brian Hanson is also listed on the Villari tree (http://www.kenponet.com/flame/tree/v/fred_villari.html) ... I would venture to say that if he holds rank above 5th, he would have needed to have come from another organization into USSD, looks like in this case it was from the FV organization. Although certain high ranking persons within the USSD organization claim to have opened the first school in 1968, most of us know that the particular school in question was opened by Nick Cerio and Fred Villari, not the current USSD entity, which came to be in 1988. With that date in mind, any person purely of the current USSD background would have only 20 years under their belt and would probably not hold a 9th dan. In fact, I believe Paul Taylor to be the highest rank underneath GM, that being 8th dan.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong ...

MadamKicksAlot
02-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Brian Hanson is also listed on the Villari tree (http://www.kenponet.com/flame/tree/v/fred_villari.html) ... I would venture to say that if he holds rank above 5th, he would have needed to have come from another organization into USSD, looks like in this case it was from the FV organization. Although certain high ranking persons within the USSD organization claim to have opened the first school in 1968, most of us know that the particular school in question was opened by Nick Cerio and Fred Villari, not the current USSD entity, which came to be in 1988. With that date in mind, any person purely of the current USSD background would have only 20 years under their belt and would probably not hold a 9th dan. In fact, I believe Paul Taylor to be the highest rank underneath GM, that being 8th dan.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong ...

Yes, but what I meant was that he was with USSD, and not strictly from Villari's. My explaination was wrong.

What is the "school in question"?.

14 Kempo
02-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Yes, but what I meant was that he was with USSD, and not strictly from Villari's. My explaination was wrong.

What is the "school in question"?.

There was a statement made by GM M at, I believe it was, the Dec 2006 tournament in Irvine, that he opened his first USSD in 1968. I'm not sure where that school was located, but the comment was made. It's a real stretch to make that statement. Yes, the first school named United Studios of Self Defense was opened in 1968, and yes, GM M may have been there, but it wasn't 'his' perse, he may have been a black belt at that time, it was Nick Cerio and Fred Villari's ... maybe I'm wrong, I wasn't there, I don't have all the facts ... I doubt it.

sun dragon
02-05-2008, 10:30 AM
There was a statement made by GM M at, I believe it was, the Dec 2006 tournament in Irvine, that he opened his first USSD in 1968. I'm not sure where that school was located, but the comment was made. It's a real stretch to make that statement. Yes, the first school named United Studios of Self Defense was opened in 1968, and yes, GM M may have been there, but it wasn't 'his' perse, he may have been a black belt at that time, it was Nick Cerio and Fred Villari's ... maybe I'm wrong, I wasn't there, I don't have all the facts ... I doubt it.

Hey 14 kempo,

Charles Mattera came into the kempo martial arts in 1971. He said in the state of the arts news letter (20 years ago) that he started under master Larry Mangone.
Who was a brown belt at the time. Master Mangone left Pro. Nick Cerio in 71 as a green belt with GM Fred Villari.

So to answer your question GM charles mattera did not have a school in 1968 he was a white belt in 1971.

14 Kempo
02-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey 14 kempo,

Charles Mattera came into the kempo martial arts in 1971. He said in the state of the arts news letter (20 years ago) that he started under master Larry Mangone.
Who was a brown belt at the time. Master Mangone left Pro. Nick Cerio in 71 as a green belt with GM Fred Villari.

So to answer your question GM charles mattera did not have a school in 1968 he was a white belt in 1971.

Thanks, I didn't have those dates in my head, so it is informative. I wasn't questioning the fact, it was one thing I heard that I knew was not correct and gave me a really bad taste. My understanding was that when M left Cerio with FV, he was an orange belt. I believe it is a story that I heard he tells as to how he was double promoted to blue belt (hearsay on my part). Anyway, I didn't have to facts, so I say the statement was questionable, but believe me, I wasn't questining it, I knew it was a definate stretch if not an outright lie. I say stretch because a "United Studios of Self Defense" was opened in 1968, just not by C.

Thanks again for your input.

sun dragon
02-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks, I didn't have those dates in my head, so it is informative. I wasn't questioning the fact, it was one thing I heard that I knew was not correct and gave me a really bad taste. My understanding was that when M left Cerio with FV, he was an orange belt. I believe it is a story that I heard he tells as to how he was double promoted to blue belt (hearsay on my part). Anyway, I didn't have to facts, so I say the statement was questionable, but believe me, I wasn't questining it, I knew it was a definate stretch if not an outright lie. I say stretch because a "United Studios of Self Defense" was opened in 1968, just not by C.

Thanks again for your input.

I've heard this before that he was an orange belt when GM Villari convince mattera to go with him. I did not know if it's true I just based it off the state of the arts news letter I have were mattera say's he started with Larry Mangone who was a brown belt. On Ken Warner web site http://www.evolutionkarate.com/KempoHistory.html
He states Larry was a green belt when he left cerio. So that means when mattera says in the state of the arts news letter that he started with with larry who was a brown belt mattera should have been a white and mattera may have never trained with cerio before 1990.

he could have made the orange beslt story to make him seem like he was one of the first guys.

mkriii
02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Whats the big deal with this USSD crap. Who cares who studied with who and when. As long as you are happy with your training thats all that should matter. This is what brings down martial arts as a whole, all this bickering and politics that are envolved. :rolleyes:

14 Kempo
02-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Whats the big deal with this USSD crap. Who cares who studied with who and when. As long as you are happy with your training thats all that should matter. This is what brings down martial arts as a whole, all this bickering and politics that are envolved. :rolleyes:

Well, I wasn't seeing it as a 'bickering' session, maybe others are ... who knows. You always have the right to not read the posts if you are offended.

mkriii
02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm not offended. Hell, I don't even do Kempo. I'm only saying it makes your art as well as martial arts in general look bad. But whatever. :)

14 Kempo
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm not offended. Hell, I don't even do Kempo. I'm only saying it makes your art as well as martial arts in general look bad. But whatever. :)

OK, I'll refrain from asking questions or answering any so as not to belittle the martial arts ... enjoy your board ... LOL

SenseiShellie
02-05-2008, 05:20 PM

The school in question was opened in 1968 in Waltham, MA on Moody street. It's one of the things I had to know for testing with FV.

On a side note, if you look at the F's on that tree, you'll find me on there too!

SenseiShellie
02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Heres a school thats affiliated with Grandmaster Tak http://www.georgetownmartialartscenter.com/

They have a 9th degree there Brain Hanson. Is he an ex Fred Villari guy?

He was EX FV and then became Ex USSD...however, I find it very hard to believe that he's a 9th already...considering that he was a 7th when he left USSD

Almost A Ghost
02-08-2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.sdsskungfu.com/public/department37.cfm

So, one can start learning this shaolin system over the internet and start teaching in their school without being a certified instructor but with the full blessing of the organization and being listed as an affiliate . We all know what that leads to.

sun dragon
02-08-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.sdsskungfu.com/public/department37.cfm

So, one can start learning this shaolin system over the internet and start teaching in their school without being a certified instructor but with the full blessing of the organization and being listed as an affiliate . We all know what that leads to.

I hope Grandmaster Demasco requires you to see him once a month or so?

sun dragon
02-08-2008, 02:38 PM
How many schools does Grandmaster Demasco have now?

sk girl
02-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I hope Grandmaster Demasco requires you to see him once a month or so?

I am sure you have to show up there every once and awhile.

sk girl
02-09-2008, 10:42 AM
How many schools does Grandmaster Demasco have now?

I counted 6 on his web site.

Almost A Ghost
02-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I am sure you have to show up there every once and awhile.

From his webiste

"The only requirement to be affiliated is that you are actively studying with us to become certified, via the internet, or personally with Grandmaster Steve DeMasco."

So yeah, I would to be to sure that you'd have to show up there at all.

MadamKicksAlot
02-10-2008, 06:18 PM
From his webiste

"The only requirement to be affiliated is that you are actively studying with us to become certified, via the internet, or personally with Grandmaster Steve DeMasco."

So yeah, I would to be to sure that you'd have to show up there at all.

If you want clarification, why not contact him yourself? I'm sure he'd be happy to explain it to you.

Almost A Ghost
02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
If you want clarification, why not contact him yourself? I'm sure he'd be happy to explain it to you.

No clarification needed. It's clearly printed.

MadamKicksAlot
02-11-2008, 07:55 AM
No clarification needed. It's clearly printed.

I admire your confidence. I still think you should call for clarification.

xcakid
02-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh boy..........

sk girl
02-21-2008, 12:08 PM
MadamKicksAlot, how many people signed up for the china trip?

MadamKicksAlot
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
You're asking the wrong person.

sk girl
02-22-2008, 12:01 PM
You're asking the wrong person.

Thanks !

Have you guys taken any California schools yet?

MadamKicksAlot
02-22-2008, 06:56 PM
We aren't out to "take" anything. Why does everything have to revolve around being spiteful?

nickmacd89
10-31-2008, 04:06 PM

steve demasco is my uncle and he had recently left united studios of self defense to start his own legacy and martial arts studios called shoalin studios. if u have any other questions feal free to ask or just email him hes a regular fun guy like the rest of us.

ktkungfu
11-01-2008, 11:16 AM
steve demasco is my uncle and he had recently left united studios of self defense to start his own legacy and martial arts studios called shoalin studios. if u have any other questions feal free to ask or just email him hes a regular fun guy like the rest of us.

Hey Nick welcome to the forum!
I took 2 clinics with Grandmaster Demasco and I really enjoyed them! I always thought he taught and moved better then mattera.

I'm glad he left ussd they are very shady karate organization! Is Grandmaster DeMasco teaching real shaolin at his schools?

ktkungfu
11-02-2008, 12:02 PM
some investigators you all turned out to be,
the answers are quite simple.
Who is Stephen B. Demasco,
As for the traditional Chinese martial arts.
Not including his kempo back round or boxing.
He Studied the Wah Lum Pai System for 13 yrs in Boston Chinatown
His certification is signed sealed and stamped by there organizations Grandmaster P. Chan,
The Rank Awarded to him 7th level accompanied by the formal Black and Gold Sash that hangs on his wall in his office.
His Certificate dates sometime in the early 80's probably before most of you, not all of you but Most who are posting bull sh:"t about his credentials even stepped on the floor to study the arts.
In the years of his training with the Wah Lum Pai System not once did he incorporate it into his kempo.
He did not teach it to his students as kempo or commercialize it for capital gain.
I asked him one day why he did not teach what he had learned he said out of respect for his teachers.He simply stated i loved the system and its for me my students are learning kempo karate.
Kempo is for the public he said its a wonderful self defense system.
Wah lum is for myself because i choose to spend the 13 yrs to study it.
i was authorized to teach it as well but choose not to because i was not opening a wah lum pai school.
After P. Chan moved to Florida Steve Demasco decided to find another Kung fu legend.
The one he tried to obtain guidance from was Fu Jow Pai Grand Master Wai Hong. although his opportunity to train directly under him was not possible he was shooed away while pushing the buzzer at the schools main entrance many times.
One day he seen a few instructors leaving from a back entrance he tried to enter through. He then met his next instructor that he spent the next 12 years training privately with
Master Tak Wah Eng although through Master Tak Wah Eng,
Steve Demasco was able to eventually take private lessons with grandmaster Wai Hong at that time they were spaced out most of his training came through Master Tak Wah Eng. Fu Jow Pai Southern Weapons As well as Hung gar Northern shaolin what ever tak had to teach Demasco Learned eventually Tak Awarded him a title of Masters level 12 yrs later.
In the year 2003 Steve again took more lessons in Fu Jow Pai From the Great Grandmaster Wai Hong in his apartment in Chinatown. i drove him there.
lets not forget that his trips with ussd to the temple was after he was already awarded the title of honorable Master of the shaolin Temple this was bestowed upon him i think in 1997 on his trip to china to meet the abbot he preformed the Iron wire form as taught to him by Sifu Tak Wah Eng why Would tak wah eng teach someone a form of that level to someone he did not feel deserved it. Steve's performance was well excepted and then awarded the title of ambassador of the temple to the USA . then came the ussd trip the first trip was Steve by his self no money not all the students i have it on tape.
then later he felt so honored by the gesture that he felt the law of reciprocation was in place here so he told the Abbott about the success of his studios which at that time was only about 30 did not include matteras. they discussed a trip and the rest is history as for the ussd Demasco break up its not a break up on bad terms i just got off the phone with GM Demasco and he told me that it is not a hostile break up he has a great deal of respect for the organization. He stated that he and GM Mattera will always be great friends.
this is not about friendship gone bad.
I hope and i am sure this will ruffle a lot of your feather but these are the facts like them or not . do some research call him at his school or get his number off his web site and give Grandmaster Demasco a call.
by the way he kempo is awesome!
respectful hands
4u2nv
as for his knock out, that was after the bell rang silly that comment made even Demasco crack up for about 10 minutes of the phone this morning

One of the many reason Gm DeMasco is more qualified teacher then mattera.