PDA

View Full Version : KFO 2008 Forum Gathering

Lama Pai Sifu
12-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Purpose of this thread is to determine if there would be enough people from this forum who would like to have a 'get together'. I would volunteer one of my schools in New York, which is convienently located to trains, buses etc.

We could do Dim Sum in the morning, spend the day getting to know everyone, do some training, sparring, working out, demo's etc.

Not sure if people would be into this, but I thought I'd ask. Could probably do it in the late spring or early summer, OR during a holiday vacation/break like Easter. Feel free to chime in here, PM me or email me directly if you would like to participate.

This would be a gathering of teachers and students of TCMA. I would also seek to contact some high profile Sifu as well to invite them.

B-Rad
12-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Though I'd be about 50/50 on if I could participate (starting physical therapy soon, not sure how that'll work out :p) I think it sounds like a good idea.

IronWeasel
12-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Sounds like fun. I go to Hoboken every summer to visit friends, so I'd be interested.

I'm not sure about the Dim sum, though. Here in Akron, we wouldn't want to try to learn a 650-step Lama form without a belly full of Bob Evans first.

rogue
12-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Toss a date out and see what happens. I'm interested as I may be up in NY depending on my sister in-law's on again off again wedding.

Takuan
12-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Depends upon school for me.

If you had it at Taiji Legacy next year though, I could/would definitely make it. :3

monji112000
12-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Purpose of this thread is to determine if there would be enough people from this forum who would like to have a 'get together'. I would volunteer one of my schools in New York, which is convienently located to trains, buses etc.

We could do Dim Sum in the morning, spend the day getting to know everyone, do some training, sparring, working out, demo's etc.

Not sure if people would be into this, but I thought I'd ask. Could probably do it in the late spring or early summer, OR during a holiday vacation/break like Easter. Feel free to chime in here, PM me or email me directly if you would like to participate.

This would be a gathering of teachers and students of TCMA. I would also seek to contact some high profile Sifu as well to invite them.

I suggested something like this before but nobody really seemed interested. If I'm in town I would come, just no video cameras.

WinterPalm
12-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I suggested something like this before but nobody really seemed interested. If I'm in town I would come, just no video cameras.

Some things haunt us forever, eh?

IronWeasel
12-15-2007, 08:38 PM
If I'm in town I would come, just no video cameras.

Why no cameras? Are you wanted by the authorities for something?

BruceSteveRoy
12-16-2007, 11:00 AM
I would almost definitely be there. my in laws live about 15 minutes outside of NYC so my wife and i could easily get there provided she isnt working. would it be cool to bring a friend or two even if they arent on the forums?

Yao Sing
12-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Sounds like fun but don't you think it a bit unfair to the left coasters?

That's the problem with these things, making it easily accessible for all.

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Do it in Chicago, so travel is about = for all.

SanHeChuan
12-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Chicago is too cold. :mad:

Texas is where it's at. :p

monji112000
12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Do it in Chicago, so travel is about = for all.

I think that allot of people live near NY, how many people live near Chicago?

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-16-2007, 04:48 PM
About 5 million people.

monji112000
12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
About 5 million people.
:)that plan on coming to the "gathering".

TaichiMantis
12-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Chicago could work...3 hr. drive.;)

golden arhat
12-16-2007, 04:56 PM
my aunt wants me to come to NY to visit her some time

is this just for TCMA'ers ? i do mma can i come along ? lol

or would it put you guys off if i tackled you while ur trying to show a technique :p

Subitai
12-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello Michael,

Are you friends with TenTigers?

Last gathering I went to was at his place. It was a good time. I've driven out to NY a couple of times now.

Although, I wish somebody would be willing to come up to Connecticut some time. Tisk tisk, I get treated like a hick I guess.

haha,
"O"

jmd161
12-16-2007, 07:37 PM
I'd be interested just name a time and place.

jeff:)

Shaolinlueb
12-16-2007, 09:23 PM
i'd be down. i can get to nyc in 2 hours.

ill be in texas this year too, that would be cool. there are a TON of places there to do stuff.

doug maverick
12-16-2007, 09:36 PM
i'd be down depending on the date and time

specialed
12-16-2007, 09:54 PM
name the time and place. i'll be there, but please give enough advance notice to make travel arrangements. bring lots of cameras to put video on youtube, and don't show up if you're afraid to touch hands and have it put out there for all to see.

doug maverick
12-16-2007, 11:02 PM
i think this more of a gather ing not a group challenege match

IronWeasel
12-16-2007, 11:29 PM
i think this more of a gather ing not a group challenege match

...but as long as we're all there...

doug maverick
12-16-2007, 11:50 PM
mine as well

sanjuro_ronin
12-17-2007, 06:20 AM
Let me know a date and I will see what I can do...I assume spring or summer?

Judge Pen
12-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Sounds fun, but it would depend on the date.

GeneChing
12-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I hope you guys can get something together. Unfortunately, we won't be able to send anyone in any official capacity since we're in CA and we're super stressed now with deadlines, holidays, etc. But we totally support gatherings like this. Keep me informed on how it goes. If you guys can get a decent size group, make sure you take roll and a pic, and we'll find a place for it in our new section in the mag. Also, it'd be very cool if someone can do a live blog like we did for the Eagle Claw event (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47582).

xcakid rallied for a gathering at Taiji Legacy this year (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47001). Unfortunately it didn't work out for me to make it, but I'm hoping we can do something again this year.

Lama Pai Sifu
12-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Nice response so far.

I was thinking possibly Easter break in March or April? I don't knw when it is this year. I figure that woud give everyone enough time to make arrangements. I can provide transport from the trains to my schools and any restaraunts we decide to go to. I've also got filming capacity and we can even do a live simulcast via my web management software, altough I've never used it, I know its a valid feature. Supposed to be for graduations or offsite events to be broadcast to my students. Be pretty cool I think.

sanjuro_ronin
12-17-2007, 11:07 AM
April would be cool, march is tough, March break...I am going away in March..but if March is the bets time for most, I will see what I can do...

Phil Redmond
12-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I'd like to be there. Keep me posted.

IronWeasel
12-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Nice response so far.

I was thinking possibly Easter break in March or April? I don't knw when it is this year. I figure that woud give everyone enough time to make arrangements. I can provide transport from the trains to my schools and any restaraunts we decide to go to. I've also got filming capacity and we can even do a live simulcast via my web management software, altough I've never used it, I know its a valid feature. Supposed to be for graduations or offsite events to be broadcast to my students. Be pretty cool I think.

Just throwing this thought out there:

It's harder for some folks to get spring break off because it's such a popular vacation time. I definitely can't get time off then, but let the majority rule...

brothernumber9
12-17-2007, 11:35 AM
I'd make the effort to try and attend. If it ends up I am able to make it, I'd be happy to split the cost of a hotel room, as well as carpool.

Lama Pai Sifu
12-17-2007, 11:40 AM
What about late Feb? Would that give everyone enough time? Maybe Sat and/or Sunday since people will be travelling???

Becca
12-17-2007, 12:02 PM
About 5 million people.Chicago is smaller than Denver?!?

specialed
12-17-2007, 12:14 PM
What about late Feb? Would that give everyone enough time? Maybe Sat and/or Sunday since people will be travelling???

can i stay at your place?

xcakid
12-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Sounds like a **** good idea. It would be dependant on me getting a job soon though.

Unless you want to be charitable and pay for my plane fare and hotel. :D

xcakid
12-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Texas is where it's at. :p

Yep, I am down with that.

xcakid rallied for a gathering at Taiji Legacy this year (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47001). Unfortunately it didn't work out for me to make it, but I'm hoping we can do something again this year.

I'm gonna give it another shot for 2008 TJL. See if anyone wants to do dinner again Friday night before the comp.

golden arhat
12-17-2007, 12:53 PM
can i stay at your place?

(read: dont let me in your place i'm the type of guy that will wait till you are asleep and climb in to bed with you to spoon with you, then when you wake up i will smother you to keep you there mine forever)

i hope you make the right choice :cool:

specialed
12-17-2007, 01:22 PM
(read: dont let me in your place i'm the type of guy that will wait till you are asleep and climb in to bed with you to spoon with you, then when you wake up i will smother you to keep you there mine forever)

i hope you make the right choice :cool:

now now goldenarsehole, this is not the right place to share your fantasies.

golden arhat
12-17-2007, 01:50 PM
now now goldenarsehole, this is not the right place to share your fantasies.

tehee your clever you can take my name and make it into a swear word

now i knw why they call you SPESHUL ED

greendragon
12-19-2007, 05:41 PM
I will attend but must make arrangements to hire bodyguards first because of my trolling habit.

monji112000
12-19-2007, 06:31 PM
now i knw why they call you SPESHUL ED

... you sure about that IQ test score?:confused:

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Population of Chicago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago

Population of major US Cities according to rank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

monji112000
12-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Population of Chicago

just accept the fact that NY is the best, and it will be in the state of NY. :mad:

Becca
12-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Population of Chicago

I didn't think Denver was bigger... Our metro area is a bit over 6 million. You first said 5 million for Chicago. It's not fair to confuse the bolnd!:mad::p

Buby
12-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Please keep me posted.

Thanks in advance,

Buby

Mas Judt
12-20-2007, 12:31 PM
If it's around the time of the New York Comic Book Convention, I can make it - I'll be there on my book tour next year.

doug maverick
12-20-2007, 01:52 PM
which comic book convention. big apple or comic con

Mas Judt
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
New York comic con in April

IronWeasel
12-26-2007, 09:18 PM
bumpity...

IronWeasel
01-20-2008, 10:15 AM
extra bump