PDA

View Full Version : piguazhang?

T.D.O
12-16-2007, 10:46 AM
any body know if there's schools in the uk that teach pi gua zhang?

thanks for any help ;)

T.D.O

B-Rad
12-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Try looking up "wutan" or other baji schools. Often pigua zhang is taught with baji.

T.D.O
12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Cheers Mate.... i'll have a scout about the net;););)

T.D.O
10-20-2008, 11:32 AM
i'll put this to the top in hope that some one knows some where that i can learn this style.....

had a good look about and found one person who now lives in the states :( and none of his students know enough to teach this

Thanks to any one who helps in advance ;) its well apreciated :D

Three Harmonies
10-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Contact Mike Martello in Belgium. Belgium is beautiful, accessible (to you), and not only does Mike know Piqua / Tong Bei, but he is pretty much the best teacher you will find for CMA in Europe. www.wutang.be
Tell him some a$$hole Jake sent you via KFM;):D
Cheers
Jake :)

T.D.O
10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks much my friend ;)

i was trying to stay within the uk, but it looks like i'll have to leave to learn :cool:

Three Harmonies
10-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Short skip over the pond, you will not be disappointed my friend.:D

T.D.O
10-26-2008, 10:18 AM
are you a practitioner of pi gua?

Three Harmonies
10-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I have done a bit over the years, but not currently. Mike includes it in everything he does (more accurately Tongbei, but we are splitting hairs). It certainly has influenced how I move.
Cheers
Jake

T.D.O
10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
i've never found that much info on it other than some you tube vids (basic hands and few other bit's), first seen it in an artical by adam hsu. was just wondering if you could point me to more info on it? (more on the style it's self, not the history)

Thanks for your help, it's well appreciated ;)

Three Harmonies
10-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Well there is not a lot out there. Adam Hsu is probably one of foremost authors on the subject. Nothing in depth, but general info in many of his writings.
Any of the Wutan have info:
Tony Yang www.wutangcenter.com
Su www.pachitanglang.com

I do not have his address handy, but look up James Guo in Toronto ON. I think his site used to be www.bajimen.com but I could be wrong. Anyways he has some nice stuff written on Piqua.

Hope this helps bro.
Jake

T.D.O
10-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks your a true gent ;)

i'll maybe invest in the dvd :cool:

T.D.O
06-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Back on the hunt again.... bump!

mawali
06-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Piquazhang, tongbeiquan and another art (I forgot) are sister arts and share (I believe) a common origin in delivery and effectiveness (jibengong/shenfa).

T.D.O
06-19-2010, 10:10 AM
baji...?

well from what i've read tongbei was only added in 19something, after a meeting of 2 pi gua masters who did a bit of tidying up of the style... whatever that means ")

but i think there all still taught as sperate styles with linking forms, rather than just all thrown in to one style/set of forms... but i don't know for sure if that's the case?

as well as all that there's other styles that use pi gua as a form of training rather than an actull style... mostly "wushu" and there tends to be more running involved (why i don't know)

i found a book on it in an online store from hong kong.... but don't know if it's the pi gua form that's more wushu... but i guess that's the chance you take on these things ")

SPJ
06-19-2010, 04:58 PM
in nanjing guo shu guan, 2 people with separate learnings compiled pi gua together.

and yes, with some help with tong bei stepping methods and 24 linking hands methods.

pi gua improved significantly.

---

SPJ
06-19-2010, 05:05 PM
the 2 people are:

ma yin tu (representing cang zhou yan shan branch)

guo chang sheng (representing nang pi branch).

---

T.D.O
06-24-2010, 09:25 AM
i'll look them up... Thanks ")

I've seen you tube clips of a french guy doing pi gua and tong bei, but they were seperate training clips.... i dont see a diffrence in the forms of pi gua and pi gua/tong bei. is it all just pi gua/tong bei now?

SPJ
06-24-2010, 10:03 AM
tong bei, pi gua and fan zi are similar styles.

however, each has own huge curriculum, open hand and weapon forms.

they are 3 separate schools.

within tong bei, there are many branches, too

such as hong dong, wu xing, white ape, ---

hong dong is similar to chen tai chi long fist

white ape has a lot of shuai jiao, popular in beijing

---

T.D.O
06-24-2010, 10:56 AM
first time i've came across fanzi getting mentioned.... i can see the likeness of pi gua and tong bei there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8x1-RelEgc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z3GKZIHN3c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe-UgqFCrDc

thanks again