PDA

View Full Version : NgoChorKun/WuZuQuan Discussions

boh
12-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I started this thread for those who want to discuss this art in depth. I wanted this to be a more 'permanent' fixture, compared to the one started by Steve out of a casual enquiry (apologies Steve, don't mean to hijack you). All are welcome,

samson818
12-17-2007, 08:25 AM
There's some great info on Ngo Cho going around.

How about describing the training methods of Wuzuquan.
I picked up Jose Pamans book the other day.
I went over some hard body training and forms.

What other kinds of lin gung (strength training) exercises does Ngo Cho use?
What are some of the key forms besides Sam Chien?

Thanks for any info.

boh
12-20-2007, 08:51 AM
hi samson

Been busy so no time to reply, but here it is. What forms/style do you do?
You can get a better idea of Ngo Cho and my lineage in the other Ngo Cho thread in this forum. Its worth a read if you have not done so.

I am not familiar abt the book you mention.. Also the different lineages of Ngo CHo can vary greatly, so is very difficult to generalise. wu-ji gave a very good coverage of the various flavours of Ngo Cho in the other Ngo Cho thread. I can only speak for my lineage, from GM Chee Kim Thong.

Forms are the foundation for all training.
Aside from the forms, there are various exercises for arm-hardness training, 'knocking arms' as we call it.
Then there are various 'push-hands' exercises, to develop technique and strength (in that order) and also develop stability of the stances.

Once one becomes familiar with the forms, then there are 'checking' exercises, ie: one plays the form and the other persons 'checks' him by using movements that exactly counter the person doing the forms. The checking could be done with varying degrees of force(s) and sensitivity.

We have 'iron-shirt' techniques, but personally I never learnt those so can't comment. Personally, I don't favour that, because as a senior said: "Why do want to learn something to let others hit you, you learn Kung Fu to avoid being hit!". Also, personally, I know of techniques to develop 'penetrating' forces, and 'disarm' techniques to reduce the effectiveness of 'iron-shirt'; I'd rather concentrate on those ;-). But the effectiveness of these techniques are dependent on the relative profficiency of attacker vs defender. (Like in tank warfare, build better armour or better guns... )

There are also various techniques for development of Internal Qi, Jing & Yi. Some are done solitary, others require training in pairs. Its too complicated to describe in writing...

As for the forms: these are the 1st 6,

(Hokkien/Fujian/Ming Nan pronounciation, with rough literal translation)

1. Sam Chien 3 Battles
2. Ji Chap Koon 20 punches/fists
3. Teo Chiat Flick and Slice
4. Chor Chien Left Battle
5. Pak Kak Attacking Angles/Corner
6. Siong Sui Double Mace? (hard to translate, thats the closest, I think)

wu-ji
12-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Jose Parman is from a Philippines' lineage, Kun Tao Ok's lineage if I am not mistaken. Hence, it is very Quanzhou oriented.

The book contains kah ngo ki (limb hardening) exercises and some basic technique applications, Quanzhou flavor, meaning a lot of "hard" attack and body momentum.

wu-ji
12-21-2007, 12:56 AM
FYI, there is a new NCK starting at http://ngochokun.proboards52.com/

It is best to start to centralize all NCK info.

PlumDragon
12-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Once one becomes familiar with the forms, then there are 'checking' exercises, ie: one plays the form and the other persons 'checks' him by using movements that exactly counter the person doing the forms. The checking could be done with varying degrees of force(s) and sensitivity.We always used to call these "catchings", which is a more fitting term IMO because youre not actually checking anything, its a constant sticking process.

We have 'iron-shirt' techniques, but personally I never learnt those so can't comment. Personally, I don't favour that, because as a senior said: "Why do want to learn something to let others hit you, you learn Kung Fu to avoid being hit!".The way i was taught, the Iron Shirt form is the Tai Zu version of San Zhan, and was more of a dynamic tension set with a number of audibly "coughs" being performed.

Please note however, that my depth in Ngo Cho was not great. This may not be the norm, or the iron shirt set you are referring to. Just throwing it out there... =)

wu-ji
12-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I replied in the new forum. The new form was requested by couples of senior NCKers to centralize information.