PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Gary Lam Docu clips

sihing
12-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Found some new clips of Sifu Lam on Utube. Enjoy:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMwVThfGH6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdC2LkFbYqY

James

Ultimatewingchun
12-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Once again after watching Gary in action it's clear that he has some very high level VT (wing chun) skills...

but please take a careful look at what his opponents/partners are doing in these two vids - and ask yourself whether or not their "attacks" (and defenses) are serious or even realistic?

Not taking away from Gary's skills - but what exactly is he up against in these two vids?

IME watching the "other guy" is always the way to judge a vid/demo/sparring match/fight. If his attacks and defenses are solid, fast, powerful, and realistic - then what the featured protagonist does in that particular vid gets high marks.

If not - then you've got to take the overall relevance of what you see with a grain of salt - regardless of certain obvious skill sets that the protagonist might demonstrate.

chisauking
12-24-2007, 03:41 AM
In my experience with sifu Lam, he lets you use as much force as possible during his 'demos' with you......but one must not forget that your intensity of attack is met with a proportional responce in defence. For example, when I was used as the 'live' dummy, I have really tried to hit him, and when he knows you are trying to hit him, the response has always been extra painful compared to when you attack him in 'demo' mode (more power, more pain). After a while, I'm relectant to attack him at all! Another point, Gary doesn't normally let his opponent start his engine, so once he's intercepted your first attack, you can no longer continue with any power since not only has he intercepted your attack, he's also taken your 'line'.

It's a bit silly to expect realism in a 'controlled' enviroment because particpants would end up in hospital....Maybe others on this forum can go one better by showing their students trying to really kill them, using full power stomp kicks to the knees and full power punches to the face.......

In any case, I have heard Gary say in his seminars that if anyone wants to 'test' him, let him know so that he doesn't need to hold back. However, in the event of that happening, I would think the particpants would expect their money back since they would only see maybe 1 or 2 moves before its all finished.

jesper
12-24-2007, 03:44 AM
I always enjoys his videos.
He looks like he is having some fun while still displaying good skills

YungChun
12-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Once again after watching Gary in action it's clear that he has some very high level VT (wing chun) skills...

Agreed.

but please take a careful look at what his opponents/partners are doing in these two vids - and ask yourself whether or not their "attacks" (and defenses) are serious or even realistic?

Right again and this is the point: Great WCK vs Crapolla, and the end of the day leaves the 'modern martial artist' with more questions than answers..

The chisao demo was okay.. But we need to start seeing some live stuff.. For those sifu out there who want to actually show something, it means going and grabbing one of your guy's who have some actual MT or Western Boxing skills.. Have him gear up good and tell him to work some random attacks with realistic timing and intent---then do your thing--better yet--have one of your best students do your thing, or his WCK thing if one of the students is up to it..

Gary has great skills but it would be greater to see him show some of his stuff when dealing with someone who fights like 99.9% of the rest of the world I think this kind of 'demo' would be much more interesting and marketable..

YungChun
12-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Gary must have been hanging out with some Aikido people.. I never used to see him doing so much Aikido, er, Wingkido stuff before.. I always thought that WCK made a good mix with Aiki, seems like it does here.