PDA

View Full Version : International Wu Shu Competition Routines

freestyler
10-25-2001, 02:26 PM
About three years ago I purchase this manual of forms.
So far after on and off learning I'm memorised the southern fist and sword forms I'm wondering if you guys can enlighten me with some questions:

- At one stage I memorised the northern form but found it abit too dancy and not sure if it is practical for confrontations. Maybe I'm abit biased because I originally learned choy li fut so know how to apply southern techniques in combat. Is it worth practising?
- Are the international forms continuously under review so what I'm practising is now old and 'obsolete'?
- That spear form is so **** long does anyone know if it is possible to know all broadsword, sword, cudgel, spear, north and southern forms while still having a life? It took me a couple of years just to get the hang of the straight sword.

Brad
10-25-2001, 02:50 PM
The international routines were developed specifically for competition and not self defence. There's several forms that are supposed to come before that which are a lot closer to traditional wushu. I think the international forms were created with the idea that you would allready know the entire curiculum. It's less for learning and more for being able to judge everyone on equal ground. Some traditionalists seem to love the old spear form though.

GLW
10-25-2001, 02:54 PM
"- At one stage I memorised the northern form but found it abit too dancy and not sure if it is practical for confrontations. Maybe I'm abit biased because I originally learned choy li fut so know how to apply southern techniques in combat. Is it worth practising?"

The Changquan routine is heavily based upon the Zha Quan (Cha Kuen) system with parts of Zha, Pao, Hong, and Hua fist as well as some other things. The routine is not that different in construction from the traditional routines it came from. However, the way most modern people do it CAN BE. If you come to that routine from a traditional northern of traditional Zha Quan basics, it all looks familiar, you know where to put power and focus, you 'understand' that there are certain moves that have martial application, certain ones that simply train balance, train jumping, stepping, etc....

But, if all you have ever done is modern wushu and your coach/teacher has not studied the traditional, then it WILL become a dance. (unfortunately, this is 80% or better of those who do it) The fault is NOT the routine but the coaches and people doing it not understanding and training the routine correctly.

"- Are the international forms continuously under review so what I'm practising is now old and 'obsolete'?"

Yes and no. There are NEW Changquan, Daoshu (Broadsword), Jianshu Striaghtsword), Chiangshu (Spear), Gunshu (Staff) routines. The material on those routines is limited and often contradicts itself. I have NOT seen the new routines, but from what pieces I have seen and the descriptions I have heard, the new routines have probably strayed pretty far from the traditional roots and are much more like a dance. They also have added moves that make them the stuff for the young only. There are techniques that will end in torn ligaments and ruined joints....NOT at all what Wushu (traditional) is about.

There are also newer routines that are older but not in the book you mention. These include 42 Taijijian (not a bad routine), Nandao (southern broadsword), and Nangun (southern staff). The two new southern routines leave me disinterested.

Right now, there is NOT a single book that contains all of the compulsory routines.

The more I see of them, the more I like the traditional I do. (The first group had input from teachers who were the old generation who KNEW traditional).

"- That spear form is so **** long does anyone know if it is possible to know all broadsword, sword, cudgel, spear, north and southern forms while still having a life? It took me a couple of years just to get the hang of the straight sword. "

Actually - YES. The original requirements for being a certified judge in China was that you had to KNOW, perform for the judging committee, and be able to expound on ALL of the Compulsory routines... I believe you also had to have an optional barehand, long and short weapon as well. Unfortunately, China has, to my understanding, relaxed this requirement somewhat. The newer generation of judges and coaches are NOT of the smae caliber. They can jump higher and such...but their depth of knowledge and connections to their roots is not there in many cases.

AND ...you don't even want to get started on their committment or lack thereof to fair and impartial judging.

On a positive note, at least in China competitions, they are requiring competitors to move away from the flimsy tinfoil weapons to traditional weighted ones ....if only the international community would do the same....