PDA

View Full Version : Jon Funk Videos?

naja
12-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Anybody have some input on them? I don't have a mantis school in my area, so I'm looking at instructional vids. Any other training vids anyone would recommend?

Radplaiddude
12-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Look for yushan on the forum here. He runs a good school in TN. Mantis is hard to learn from a video. Lots of hidden suttleties.

yu shan
12-24-2007, 01:21 PM
naja

You must be in the most eastern part of the state if it takes 4 hours to get to Nashville. Come over some weekend and give it a go. We can get a lot of training in, spend the night, train some more and then you can go home and practice. How close are you to Asheville NC? I have a comrade who teaches Mantis Boxing there, name is Matt Melton (Oso). Asheville Martial Arts. I have to take airplanes to see my teacher, but it is well worth the effort. A four hour drive isnt too much, you would take home some nice treasures.

Thanks Radplaiddude for the props, SemperFi!

naja
12-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info yu shan. Asheville is only about 90 mins away from me, so it's a better possibility. Perhaps once I get some more exp under my belt I can come down to Nashville and visit. The drive wouldn't be too bad every once in a while, but I'd like to be able to meet up and train about once a month at this point. I've only been into kung fu for about 4 months now and would like to try mantis, so I'll try and get in touch with Oso once the holiday hectics die down.

Thanks again!

Oso
12-26-2007, 08:08 AM
go to www.plumflowermantisboxing.com if you are interested in Pong Lai...buy Shifu Kevin Braziers Babu Lian Hua DVD and you will get a look at the beginnings of our program. It is a good DVD, one of the best out there.

ninjaboy
12-27-2007, 10:18 AM
i think that, if your budget allows, you should also get a jon funk video or two for comparison's sake. : )

neil

Tainan Mantis
12-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Since Oso brought it up...

Here is a link showing the contents of the video

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNYtIYi3Zs&feature=user

Kevin

Satori Science
12-27-2007, 02:43 PM
i think that, if your budget allows, you should also get a jon funk video or two for comparison's sake. : )

neil

ninjaboy, are you by any chance Josh Schafer's Sihing? if not then I apologize for the mistake

spiralstair
12-28-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi naja,
This is contact info for a very good Wah Lum teacher not so far from you.

LEROY KAUTZ
108 Carr St
Knoxville, TN 37919
(865) 558-8555

Good Luck

Jeffoo
12-29-2007, 03:34 PM
John Funk's videos aren't bad, but I'd also recommend getting a hold of some of Wong Hun Fun's books too.