PDA

View Full Version : Boxing and Wing Chun

Ali. R
12-24-2007, 11:05 AM
http://www.louisvillegoldengloves.com/

Wing Chun will still be available here, and other arts as well...

In case you didn’t know…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2sDgYvv0F0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dfgb-Uw7fM

Ali Rahim.

Graychuan
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Cant wait to see the Fury run it right up da middle like Maywether.
Hatton didnt have a **** thing! lol

~Cg~

Ali. R
12-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Cant wait to see the Fury run it right up da middle like Maywether.
Hatton didnt have a **** thing! lol

~Cg~

Just as Roger Mayweather said, “everybody wants to believes in bull sh*t and the right man will win, this is not a Rocky movie”… :D

Ali Rahim.

Wu Wei Wu
12-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm not going to comment on the clips.

However, I think this is worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSblALBeJrw

Mr Punch
12-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Good enough for what it is.

Hope you have them doing drills for

keeping their hands up
moving their feet
putting their bodyweight into their punches

though too...

Happy Christmas (know you're not a Christian: nor am I, but in the spirit, eh? :) )

Ali. R
12-25-2007, 06:54 AM
He’s all right; he’s kinda one dimensional like Ricky Hatton, but hey as you can see that’s how he’s taught to fight… Hey, fighting like that, your bond to get out classed, but I hope he wins a lot before that happens or get a new trainer…

I guess it’s a Detroit, Michigan thing, consistently fighting mostly in threes and fours and sometime five strikes per entry, consistently slipping punches and catching with the shoulders, like these Michigan born fighter, James “Lights Out Toney, Bernard “Super Bad” Mays, Thomas “Hit Man” Hearns and of course Mayweather Jr. and Oba Carr... Oh yeah, and yours truly, are all defensive fighters...

Being a defensive fighter in the ring, will give the audience their moneys worth, no doubt on that… The names of this game is to catch and make them miss, don't get hit...

Ali Rahim.

Mr Punch
12-25-2007, 06:59 AM
He’s all right; he’s kinda one dimensional like Ricky Hatton...Amir Khan is 'kinda one-dimensional'? Hark at the boxing expert! Who qualified you to pass that kind of judgment? I mean I know boxing has more than its fair share of sofa commentators but please, after the clips you've just put up...! :D Is this a seasonal competition with Victor to see who can say the most clueless classless nonsense about fighters who get out there? :D

Have you ever boxed in the ring? What were your results?

Matrix
12-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Wing Chun will still be available here, and other arts as well...

In case you didn’t know…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2sDgYvv0F0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dfgb-Uw7fM
We can debate a lot of things in the martial arts. In fact, I think it's our nature to search for something to argue over. However, I think you're doing great work here by giving young men something positive to direct their energies to. This training will serve them in many ways well into the future. At least that's how I see it.

Peace,
Bill

Graychuan
12-25-2007, 10:27 AM
We can debate a lot of things in the martial arts. In fact, I think it's our nature to search for something to argue over. However, I think you're doing great work here by giving young men something positive to direct their energies to. This training will serve them in many ways well into the future. At least that's how I see it.

Peace,
Bill

You're absolutely right,Matrix. I happen to know for a fact that the training made this kid do a complete turn around. Grades skyrocketed, he set more mature and thoughtful priorities for himself, and he is a lot less withdrawn than when I first met him 3-4 years ago. He still goes through the regular teenage stuff like everybody. But he is commited and well aware of his goals.

~Cg~

Matrix
12-25-2007, 10:37 AM
I happen to know for a fact that the training made this kid do a complete turn around. Grades skyrocketed, he set more mature and thoughtful priorities for himself, and he is a lot less withdrawn than when I first met him 3-4 years ago. He still goes through the regular teenage stuff like everybody. But he is commited and well aware of his goals.Yes, these are just the type of things I was referring to. What's interesting is that none of these attributes have anything to do with martial arts, per se, and yet they are produced by that training. :cool:
These boys will look back on this training as one of the key times in their lives. I'm pretty sure of that. Keep up the great work!

Bill

Mr Punch
12-25-2007, 04:25 PM
It won’t make a difference on how much qualification I give you… My skills as a trainer/boxer speaks for it self, and praised by many in the professional industry, so it’s no need for me to boast or brag on my pass, I’m a professional… I wasn't asking you to brag or boast, I asked you a simple question: what was your pro record and where is it? There's nobody of your name at boxrec - was it under your pre-Moslem name? Don't worry if you were beaten a lot - everyone gets beaten! You can PM me if you don't want it public.

BTW, I'm not challenging you about this: I'm just interested.

And if you think that kid can take on Hatton, then you really don’t have a clue… Hatton is one of the greatest fighters ever and will be for a long time… Khan is not a defensive fighter do you know the difference? Er, Khan's a lightweight. Hatton isn't. I never said Khan could take on Hatton.

And anyway, back to my question (you know, the other one of the two that you didn't answer! :D ): have you ever seen a Khan fight?

Like I said, it’s not about me… What are your qualifications to make such a rebuttal?It IS about you Ali! I've already given you props for your training those kids: it's good work and there's nothing that'll detract from that. You then made a preposterous statement about Khan, which you've then refused to back up because you refuse to admit you were talking about something you dont know about, and then you dug yourself into a whole by saying you were a pro-boxer, which frankly, I think is a lie. You could've said all kinds of things to say you were qualified to teach/coach boxing and I'd have said, oh OK fine, but you didn't. You said you had been a pro-boxer, so now I'm interested: what was your record and where is it recorded!?

And what qualifications do I need to ask you about your record?! You're a funny man.

And Graychuan, I'm not sure what your point was here:
Amir is like 20-21 yrs old? Fury is 16. I wonder if Amir Khan was doing these type of drills at 16...Khan was the silver medallist in the Olympics at 17.

We can debate a lot of things in the martial arts. In fact, I think it's our nature to search for something to argue over. However, I think you're doing great work here by giving young men something positive to direct their energies to. This training will serve them in many ways well into the future. At least that's how I see it.This is a good post. This is the way I'd like to leave it. But I'm afraid Ali, I'm waiting for your answers!

Liddel
12-25-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm not going to comment on the clips.

However, I think this is worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSblALBeJrw

49 secs Guarn Sao..:eek:

I use very similar VT actions like we see here, in boxing.

Liddel
12-25-2007, 05:41 PM
This is for the haters…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2T_usI1WPY

Ali Rahim.

In the first 22 secs, your wooden dummy is amazing Ali - it looks so life like even though its just standing there. LOL

DREW

Mr Punch
12-25-2007, 05:51 PM
And is it you, which continue to doge this question, “what are your qualification to make such a rebuttal on this thread”, and the answer, is?

You must have qualifications you ask for mine, and to say that I'm wrong and don't have clue...I don't understand your question! :D

My answer: I don't know what qualifications I need to ask you

1) What is your pro-boxing record?
2) Have you ever seen a fight of Amir Khan's?

Please, tell me what qualifications I need? :rolleyes:

Again, let me reiterate: I'm not challenging your qualifications to coach boxing. A lot of boxing coaches have no experience in the ring themselves, or no pro experience. Of course there are criticisms (well, more like constructive gentle suggestions) I could make of your clips, but they're just clips which don't show the whole story so I wouldn't be so cheeky. And if by my qualifications, you're asking me my boxing experience, it's this:

NO amateur fights
NO pro fights
Two years boxing classes with a good boxer as part of an MMA class...

So, no qualifications in boxing at all.

But like I said, what qualifications do I need to ask you those two questions? My qualifications are my knowledge: if there is some hole in what I've asked/posted, please let me know. I'm only generally here to learn.

I disagree with your assessment of Khan. That's fair enough, right? People disagree. Then I admit I said something rather stupid, which was that you need to be qualified in some way to comment on Khan's ability. I don't think you do - anyone can comment on a boxer's ability and most people just do so by having watched a lot of fights. But then you came out as an 'x-pro' and set yourself up as some kind of expert. So then I asked you (quite reasonably I thought) to back up what you said.

And then I'm asking you whether you've seen him fight, because I think you're just assessing him from his training clip, which, as I said, I wouldn't presume to do with your boys, or about your skills.

How can I be trolling? I've asked you two questions explicitly about your claims: there's no ulterior motive! Now stop stalling while you try and find a Khan fight on youtube and answer the questions! LOL.

Talk about defensive... I know you say you're a defensive fighter and all, but it doesn't half show when somebody asks you some reasonable questions and you start hiding in accusations and smoke! Im not questioning your whole existance, man, just asking you a couple of questions!

Mr Punch
12-25-2007, 05:56 PM
49 secs Guarn Sao..:eek:

I use very similar VT actions like we see here, in boxing.Yeah, not only that but that cover position with the high left and low right is very much like a kwan sao (high tan, low bong) - different dynamics of course: the boxing ones are based on being punched full-speed and full-contact, the chun ones are mostly based on drills... :eek: :D

It's nice though, nice cover especially for the ducking around: Mayweather uses it a helluva lot, and has a beautifully smooth fast switch from side-to-side... and it seems Ali's got his boys doing it nicely here too.

Ali. R
12-25-2007, 05:58 PM
In the first 22 secs, your wooden dummy is amazing Ali - it looks so life like even though its just standing there. LOL

DREW

He was told to reacted but just couldn’t do it, he tried his best and the only thing that he could do was move his hand, before I shut him down… I’m sure Chris can testify to that, cuz he gets the same thing, when sparring or whatever… You stand in front of me, you better have you’re A game on…

And I’m sure the one that’s on the clip will testify also…

Ali. Rahim.

Mr Punch
12-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Here ya go…Ah, OK, sorry for the confusion: that wsn't a criticism of your clips and certainly not the dodging exercise. It was merely pointing out to you that you shouldn't criticise Khan from that short training clip that was posted (you still haven't told me which of his fights you've seen if any), because it would be pointless for people to do the same to your clips.

Plus I was meaning that if people were going to compare the clips, the one of Khan shows more depth and variation in his training programme and his personal skills than your clips do of your fighters. And that's not even a criticism of you, your clips, your coaching or your fighters: just a statement that people shouldn't judge from clips of that nature.

So, back the programme...

You gonna answer my questions sir, or what? :D

Mr Punch
12-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I find it odd that you keep saying that you like the clips, nothing but trolling...Sorry, you just added this bit: I do like them, and I'm still not trolling.

Please read my previous post. I haven't criticised your clips at all, and wouldn't presume to (as I'll repeat till I'm blue in the face if it gets an answer to my legitimate questions from you! :D ) from such short clips without knowing any more about your training programme... so for now, I'm STILL all positive about what you're doing. :)

But... I still want to know the answers to my questions.

Ali. R
12-25-2007, 08:28 PM
You gonna answer my questions sir, or what? :D

H*ll no, you're simply not worth it, you don't need anything from me, Troll...
Why would I give something to someone who don't give a d*mn about me my people or anything I do...

There is nothing sincere about you, and if you would have came to me another way other then the way you did, I would have been a fountain of information, but you really don’t give a fu*k, so don’t ask again… :cool: :eek:

I have photos, clips and newspaper cut out and my fighters seen them and look at them anytime they want to, that’s because I have mad love for them and everything you need to know will be on the website coming soon just keep watching…

Ali Rahim.

Liddel
12-25-2007, 10:05 PM
You don’t have to understand,

Well true dat, but when one titles a clip "for the haters" one might expect something to show your not a chump with a keyboard. (not saying you are, theres already enough hating with you and Punch)

I attack him and he couldn’t do a d*mn thing, what you see is what you get…

He could have, he just didnt... lets be honest you dont even attack him ! you attack his hands then go for the body...its in the clip plain to see.
If you threw a punch at his head you could have KO'd him cause he doesnt defend. Even non trained people flinch when someone enters like that...not him ??? Looks more like a demo bro....just my opinion :o

How do you think I got the skills that I have, and that’s from fighting better practitioners then myself, all my life I fought people with great skills… Been there done that…
Ali Rahim.

Ill give anyone the benifit of the doubt, cause its not like im all that special...but when you say things like "I fought people with great skills" then show a clip like that, with a title like that.....well it aint doing you any favours...

OK im begining to feel like Terrence now so...im out. :p

DREW

Graychuan
12-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Does anyone else on this thread have any videos showing boxing and/or wing chun training? Or knife training?

~Cg~

T.D.O
12-26-2007, 10:17 AM
lol you's are cool:D

Graychuan
12-26-2007, 10:41 AM
I rememeber in the other thread 'has anyone used wc in competetion' there was some discussion on boxing and using boxing gloves while doing wing chun. I think Phil was gonna make a clip but the thread has kinda died out.

~Cg~

Knifefighter
12-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Smart thing just like the first guy you have none, I've seen you fight what a mess, and I'm sure all would agree, if not, make your post now... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

Maybe he’s right those kids could very well have woke up the next day with skills and understanding all on their own…

That is Kali that is being taught, you have to start some were don't you? And I make sure I find the best teacher that I can find and the knifes are made of blunt wood.... My Guru started wooden knife play when he was six with his grandfather. When do you think one should start to play with blunt wooden knifes? When they get much older and get frustrated and then throw half of the knowledge away when they cant understand it...

You should hate me for being who I am (it’s the right thing for you to do) cuz all you ever did was attack me from day one, and by being very, very successful in what I do, I truly understand your motive… I never done anything to you so why continue the attacks? (I guess being who I am and successful…)

You are so low that you will even attack a 13 year old kid that's trying to come up in the world... Again you have to start somewhere don't you? you are completely tasteless...

Ali Rahim.

LOL @ a mess... that would be you trying to teach things about which you don't know what you are doing.

Here are a few clues for you:
-On the butterfly sweep from the guard, you are trapping the wrong arm and trying to sweep towards the wrong angle.
-With the step over arm bar from the mount you have the body positioned wrong and the legs positioning all messed up.
-On the referee's position back door escape, you have to free the inside arm and you'll never finish someone by pulling the head back the way you are showing.
-With the "knife defense", good luck trying to isolate the blade the way you are showing... and leaving the blade loose and unsecured in the upper body area the way you are teaching will get him sliced in the neck and stabbed in the chest.

Knifefighter
12-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Like I said fundamentally sound, you didn't see me do anything. but only a child, and you draw conclusions on my abilities form that...

A qualified teacher should teach fundamentally sound technique...

Knifefighter
12-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Those techniques were fundamentally wrong on so many levels, it's funny.

I'm a BJJ black belt and have been training and fighting in FMA's for 30 years. What is your background in grappling and FMA?

anerlich
12-26-2007, 03:44 PM
And trying to make this child look bad, and he reads this forum

God help the poor child ... :rolleyes:

YungChun
12-26-2007, 03:46 PM
God help the poor child ... :rolleyes:
Indeed....:eek:

Knifefighter
12-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Here's a present for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp8l4SVgbuc

Pay attention to how a good instructor who knows what he is doing teaches the flower sweep.

Maybe you can teach your protégé a real technique for once.

Sihing73
12-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Hello,

With how far the forum has fallen, I have my part in this as well :o, I hesitate to reply.

Ali,

I do not think that KF is "picking" on a child. What he has done is to criticize the methods which you put up on the web. I do not get the impression that it has anything to do with these methods being demonstrated by a child but rather with the concepts and fundamentals being shown.

While I may not always agree with KF, I think you are off base on this matter. I also think that by trying to keep focus on the "child" rather than responding to the crticism of the technique you are missing an opportunity to engage in valuable discussion. Rather than build support for your point of view you seem to be unable to articulate a viable response and thus need to misdirect the topic and make it seem like KF is attacking a "child" which I do not believe is the case.

I would invite both you and KF to offer reasons for why you feel the techniques would work or would not and to leave the "poor child" out of it.

YungChun
12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Like I said and as you have seen, it’s a kid doing the techniques; his only punishment on this forum is that he knows me, that’s all… I’m sure it will be hard for other to look at some of the people on this thread in the same matter or way… How sick it is… There is nothing funny or cute about those statements…

I for one don't know what you're on about.. (or even what you said in your next to last post)

You put stuff out there and seem to expect everyone to jump on board..

Nope, ain't gonna happen..

If you can't handle the criticism then best not to ask for it.

Dale is well known for his expertise in this area.

Knifefighter
12-26-2007, 04:38 PM
Like I said and as you have seen, it’s a kid doing the techniques; his only punishment on this forum is that he knows me, that’s all… I’m sure it will be hard for other to look at some of the people on this thread in the same matter or way… How sick it is… There is nothing funny or cute about those statements….

LOL @ your transparent attempts to deflect criticism of your technical abilities onto the back of a 13-year-old kid. The kid has nothing to do with this, other than as someone you are using to shield yourself from the responsibility of sub-par teaching.

The more I read your posts, the more I am convinced that you are more than likely a liar and a fake. The people who should be reading this thread are the kid's parents.

Speaking of fakes, it is obvious you don't have much of a background in either grappling or FMA. What about your WC? What exactly is your background in WC? Is it the same as the first two... some video and maybe a lesson or two and then you decide to teach it?

Mr Punch
12-26-2007, 05:40 PM
The two year man at it again… Two years of boxing, alternating with MMA classes taught by the ex world and Pacific rim middleweight shooto champion, a personal friend of mine. I've seen all the clips you put up of your chun, and all your half-arsed mathematical theory that's supposed to back it up in some way, despite being nothing to do with its Chinese roots, or to do with actually feeling punching/kicking somebody full contact, and I'm quietly confident that I could take any of your two-year students (maybe even four-, five-, six- who knows when it would stop?). And that's without using my seventeen years in other martial arts... so keep going with the two-year jibe: news for you - I sincerely don't give a ****. :)

It’s hate coming from you and everyone can see it… Why do you think you’re all alone on this? There's no hate coming from me. TBH, I don't usually hate anyone - it's a wasted emotion, unless it can be converted into anger and energy from that. And here's some more news for you: I'm not alone on this - I suspect that most people on this board think your full of it, but are too polite to say so.

Talking of haters here pal, don't forget you've been banned (twice is it?) already for spewing intolerance and bile, and a slanderous campaign or two against other teachers.

And yet you call anyone who doesn't agree with your narrow world view a hater.

There’s no ego with me, and people can see that also…

I pray 5 times a day on my face (one of them is that Victor, Redmond and myself will get along one day, it is strong and I know they feel something I'm sure of that) don’t have time for a ego, with an ego you can’t began to have good in anything in life, because self will get in the way…You're so full of **** I don't know whether to laugh or plant roses! :D I think I'll laugh...

You are one of the most egotistical people to ever post on this board. Every time you put up a video you expect people to kowtow and run away crying and making mystical evasive comments if anybody calls you (or even politely asks you) about anything. Whenever someone else posts something about the real achievements of their school or whatever, you posts snide comments and your own (sometimes unrelated) theory or vids. Whenever someone doesn't agree with you you use ad hominem attacks, by calling them haters or worse. You even put up all of your youtube vids with macho challenges implicit ('This kid can kick your grown ass', 'This kid is the futuer (sic) of wing chun') and then cry when someone says, er, wait a minute, YOU are full of **** (not even mentioning the kids).

Your prayer has nothing to do with not having ego. Don't get me started on that one!

You attacked me first because I made a statement that you didn’t like about someone else, which I believe and others that I trained under is a true statement and you took it way out of bounce because you didn’t understand the statement. I fully, one hundred percent accept that i was rash and out of order on that point. It's up to the individual which boxers they think are good and it was no reason to go so overboard. Everyone has an opinion. I apologize.

Fortunately however, you've outdone me in low-grade bull**** ever since that post, so I do feel a little less guilty.

There is no way that you can find every fighter that ever fought pro on the Internet because the promotion that handle me folded along time ago well over 22 years (crooks), and way before the internet got started good… Back then no one was thinking about the Internet, and I was not famous, maybe that’s why you can’t find me…

My father took care of all that, and gave me all of the footage that he took and news clippings of myself boxing before he passed away… Fair enough. That's all you ever had to say. I apologize unreservedly for accusing you of lying about it... though since you doubt my sincerity, you're obviously not going to know how to accept an apology anyway.

...maybe you could to those who like to attack children trying to become good martial artist…As has been pointed out, nobody's attacking your kids man! Get over yourself! It's YOU we're attacking! :D

The stuff you're teaching is gonna get your kids killed. Full stop. I hope not, and I think everyone else hopes not too, which is one reason why I can't just let your **** go any further!

That knife stuff is ****. It doesn't look like kali, it looks like the flowery dancy kempo bollocks that your student Graychuan is showing on another youtube vid. Which will get you gutted. My knife experience? NONE! Well, none useful, other than to tell us how not to do it! Ten years intensive aikido training, a hardcore aikido system that we trained with wooden knives and got bruised up and couldn't pull off any classical techs: dedicated aikidoka, prison officers, probation officers, policemen, riot police trainers, social workers, bouncers, all sorts, all working regularly towards the same purpose and we couldn't pull off a traditional tech! But it opened my eyes, and those techs looked like UFC compared to that watered-down kempo you're teaching!

As KF has pointed out, leaving their upper arm that free while you prance about like My Little Pony will get you stabbed/cut. He didn't point out that

a) Nobody attacks with one lead-hand lunge with a visible knife

b) Nobody stands there with their arm outstretched and waits for you to tie them up

c) In one instance on that vid your kid actually brings the blade side of the knife across the tendons in his own arm

This is not attacking your kid: this is trying to save him.

I'm going to reserve further judgement on your wing chun. I think it's pretty bad from what I've seen but I appreciate you can't tell from videos.

Your grappling is terrible. Again, I have only two years grappling, but with my coach ****ing us up if we didn't keep in nice and tight, I was probably as bad and confused about direction as you seem to be only for the first couple of weeks. I've seen your defence against 'the shoot' vids before and they were laughable too: obviously none of you have ever been taught how to shoot.

Your kali (at 1:47 on the vid earlier) is speeded up (who taught you kali? The Keystone Cops? :D ) for no apparent reason, so it's difficult to see what's happening.

Your boxing clips have good sound dodging drills, but if they're the extent of it, as I said in my original post, they're lacking footwork, defensive handwork, connections from root to punch (through sitting on their punches), and a coach who is fit enough to give them padwork for longer than three second bursts. If that's the extent of it, they need more sustained dodging drills, including punching more as soon as they've dodged so they've got their strikes coming in from all angles, and including using their feet. A solely upper-body dodge is a useful exercise but they need to put it together with the mobility too, or it can lead to getting unbalanced under pressure and punches. They also need to train with people their own size so they don't get a false impression of the kind of dangers they'll face. If those clips are teh extent of it, at this rate, they'll get their asses kicked when they meet any real competition, and hopefully then they'll find another trainer.

There's enough negativity on this thread already, so I'm going to stop posting... but I might be forced to bust a cap in your chun later too, just because you're such an arrogant know-nothing SoB.

BTW, I'm still not a 'hater', I'm a laugher! See: :D ...!

Mr Punch
12-26-2007, 05:45 PM
I see you you like to beat up on kids, How tasteless...One last BTW... nobody here likes to beat up on kids, but I did notice in the notes to your vid that you said something about him going to an adult class (which he shouldn't at 13 anyway) and that if he cries he can take a walk... sounds like your the one who's messed up about this.

Kid, if you're reading this: try a couple of other schools! If you like grappling go for BJJ or the wrestling program at your school.

anerlich
12-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Here's a present for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp8l4SVgbuc

Pay attention to how a good instructor who knows what he is doing teaches the flower sweep.

That's my favorite and highest percentage sweep from closed guard, and I've seldom seen it explained better than in that clip.

No one's attacking the kid, and the moronic attempts to say that they are, are pathetic.

He'd be better off not reading this forum for all sorts of reasons.

Knifefighter:

I wondered if you'd come across Ray Floro, knife guy, in your travels? Just wondered if you had an opinion. Honest question, no agenda. Thanks.

Knifefighter
12-27-2007, 09:58 AM
BTW, you never answered my question. What exactly is your WC background? With whom did you train and for how long?

sanjuro_ronin
12-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Its nice to see the youngins doing their thing....
I have never been a fan of "slap pad work", no matter who does it, but that'sjust me.
You should actually aim for the kids head when you are working on their ducking and try to have them put a little bit more on their combos and not just tap the mitts.

I think that, unless you have a solid core in grappling:
BB in Judo, Purple in BJJ or goo experience in freestyle and G-R wrestling, that you and yours would be better served to bring someone in for teaching grappling.

sanjuro_ronin
12-27-2007, 11:28 AM
The kid wants to be a pro and I do aim for his head, sorry I refuse to deviate from the Mayweather’s point of view and as I was taught… Just can’t do it, but thanks thought…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbh1yCx7rfE

Ali Rahim.

Like I said, just my two cents, I wasn't coached that way in boxing, but then again I wasn't much for 'dancing" in the ring so...
Personal preference and all that.
Good luck and I hope the kid goes far, but in regards to the grappling, its sound advice.

sanjuro_ronin
12-27-2007, 11:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_ay3LOs1Q

Another kind of pad work, and this was filmed in your "backyard".

Ultimatewingchun
12-27-2007, 11:35 AM
He's got something from one of the lineages - but how much is the real question. Although you don't have to be a rocket scientist, after reading many of his posts over the last 3 years or so - and after watching some of the vids he put up on the "dont fight with matched leads" thread (or whatever it was called)...

that his wing chun knowledge and skill is very limited. And who can forget that ridiculous thread he did trying to equate some fancy mathematical formula to wing chun principles and strategy?

That was a real winner...:rolleyes:

...and 20 something years of Gekko-Roman wrestling...:p

sanjuro_ronin
12-27-2007, 11:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6zlaIl0yh0&feature=related

Another fine example.

sanjuro_ronin
12-27-2007, 11:40 AM
LOL,,, LOL...

Here my boy Roger, with Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wFfDvU63lY

The pad work in that clip...what exactly are they suppose to be working on?
Besides putting on a show.

lkfmdc
12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
20 something years of Gekko-Roman wrestling...:p

Victor! Brilliant! If my sig line wasn't already packed I'd add that :D

Is Ali claming he learned to hold pads from Mayweather?

Wu Wei Wu
12-27-2007, 11:44 AM
After a while, once the tales have been spun, the fog and haze lifts. The smoke and mirrors are removed and we are left with nothing. A person can make a vain attempt to be more than he is. However, when soiled with insincerity a reputation becomes tarnished and in this particular case, laughable. The more clips that are posted, the deeper the hole being dug.

So, along with Mr. Punch I say raise a glass and say farewell to the egotistical ramblings of an unskilled mad man.

p.s. Mr. Punch, the comments re: the ripples/four asses was classic.

(Sponsored by the Mighty Boosh Wing Chun Club)

Ali. R
12-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Victor! Brilliant! If my sig line wasn't already packed I'd add that :D

Is Ali claming he learned to hold pads from Mayweather?

No, not the whole pad set a lot of that stuff is my own, I just stuck with some of his concepts...

Ali Rahim.

sanjuro_ronin
12-27-2007, 11:50 AM
No, not the whole pad set a lot of that stuff is my own, I just stuck with some of his concepts...

Ali Rahim.

Like I asked before, what are they suppose to be drilling in that clip ??

Graychuan
12-27-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_ay3LOs1Q

Another kind of pad work, and this was filmed in your "backyard".

You are exactly right, even on the second Tyson one you put up. But we never mentioned anything about the 'Tyson' style of boxing. We were just giving evidence of the training methods that Sifu Ali uses. They are sound. AND they are being used buy someone who has been knocking people out professionally. This knowledge came from somewhere and its real.

AND Im still waiting to see other Chunners and Boxers and discuss them. Especially since there is another thread that most of you here posted on the same subject anyway. I recall plenty of 'I have a professional boxer that trains here in WC' and 'I have 2 years in boxing' and all this.....BUT

...there are only our clips in this thread.

~Cg~ :confused:

sanjuro_ronin
12-27-2007, 11:54 AM
You are exactly right, even on the second Tyson one you put up. But we never mentioned anything about the 'Tyson' style of boxing. We were just giving evidence of the training methods that Sifu Ali uses. They are sound. AND they are being used but someone who has been knocking people out professionally. This knowledge came from somewhere and its real.

AND Im still waiting to see other Chunners and Boxers and discuss them. Especially since there is another thread that most of you here posted on the same subject anyway. I recall plenty of 'I have a professional boxer that trains here in WC' and 'I have 2 years in boxing' and all this.....BUT

...there are only our clips in this thread.

~Cg~ :confused:

Its not "tyson style" pad work, but I get what you are saying.
I don't think its a good idea to use "advanced" pad work like Floyd does for show, when training someone in the basics.
But, to each their own.

I would like it explained as to WHY you are doing pad work that way.

Graychuan
12-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Its not "tyson style" pad work, but I get what you are saying.
I don't think its a good idea to use "advanced" pad work like Floyd does for show, when training someone in the basics.
But, to each their own.

I would like it explained as to WHY you are doing pad work that way.

Its to develope a multi-demensional boxer.

Priorities are..
1. Not get hit and be able to return hits.
2. Get hit but return at least 3 for every one.
3. Create openings (when you make a guy miss it gives opportunity for return shots. Multiple return shots to body and/or head.)and be able to take advantage of body shots as well as head shots. When counting punches landed vs punches thrown, the body shots count as well.

Its one helluva workout too. :D

Ali. R
12-27-2007, 01:26 PM

Priorities are..
3. Create openings (when you make a guy miss it gives opportunity for return shots. Multiple return shots to body and/or head.)and be able to take advantage of body shots as well as head shots. When counting punches landed vs punches thrown, the body shots count as well.

Big Gray is also a boxing trainer, he helps me with a lot...

Thanks main.

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
12-27-2007, 03:03 PM
I just had over 2500 hit on my website within this afternoon, thanks guys for your interest… :):cool::)

Ali Rahim.

Mr Punch
12-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Bwuhahaha, thanks Vic, I'd forgotten about the Gecko-Roman. :D

And does Mayweather have a website or somewhere we can get his manager and ask him to confirm his business relationship with this chump? Cos Ali here keeps calling Floyd 'my boy' which is frankly kind of delusional, not to mention probably against some trading laws if he is actually claiming some patronage.

Tell you what Ali, why don't you get a vid of you and 'your boy' - then maybe we'll believe you?! Like I mean physically together, not just in the same post! :D And while you're at it, maybe a vid of Roger Mayweather endorsing your ****-poor boxing program? (Yeah, I know I've changed my tune... but after the vids you've shown, I think that slap happy pad drill is all you got to give those boys, so like I said, when they get their poor little heads knocked off maybe somebody'll recognise the talent you've been spoiling and offer them some real coaching...!)

Why are your chun people bouncing up and down (talk about telegraphing... watch those shoulders kids!) and your boxing kids are totally flatfooted? Why do your 'boxers' have a narrow, half-front-facing stance, almost like, say a (crap) chun stance? And why are they not sitting on their punches?

And whassatchasay? Your boy Graychuan's a boxing coach too? Well everyone's gotta have a talent, so I hope it's not this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx8gfmc4uKo)... funny how that way of movement looks like your knife techs too.

Man, you're too funny. You're so funny we don't need to take the **** outta you, you just give it away.

Now, everybody, somebody save this thread.

I'm still laughing :D

sanjuro_ronin
12-28-2007, 05:14 AM

Priorities are..

I don't see any of that being developed by that type of pad work, you get that from sparring, not having someone tap your shoulder and gloves.
But to each their own, good luck.

YungChun
12-28-2007, 05:21 AM
I don't see any of that being developed by that type of pad work, you get that from sparring, not having someone tap your shoulder and gloves.
But to each their own, good luck.
Maybe not in that type.. But I think pad work can be a fantastic way to develop/hone good boxing attributes/mechanics/tactics.. Great coaches seem to agree and have the skill to bring that out using the pads...

sanjuro_ronin
12-28-2007, 05:31 AM
Maybe not in that type.. But I think pad work can be a fantastic way to develop/hone good boxing attributes/mechanics/tactics.. Great coaches seem to agree and have the skill to bring that out using the pads...

Very much so, as you can see for the clips I put up of Tyson, id done correctly, pad work is one of the best tools for developing speed, footwork, evasive action and "broken" rythm.

YungChun
12-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Contrast and compare..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgMVOTZ2bpk

Graychuan
12-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Its already been saved once because your 'pals' on here were looking out for you. Or did you not get to see my answer to your little spineless challenge before they deleted it, Mr Punch? I find it interesting that ANSWSERS to immature challenges get deleted but the actual insults and challenges get to stay.:rolleyes:
I guess thats what happens when you have the 'complexion for protection' of which I dont. And neither does SIFU Ali.
And, Sifu Ali, maybe we should take their word for it...we have been teaching them way too much on this forum and thats probably why they havent banned us yet... still too much to learn from us. Maybe we could send them a Rocky or Tarzan Movie to them for a New Years present so they can live out that fantasy somewhere else instead of destroying what should be a courteous and informative forum. I keep asking for proof of their boxing or WC skills :confused: but I forgot, they have a brand new video of ours to study up on first.

But for what it is worth, I am through with this thread, through with fake a** wannabe martial artists making empty challenges that will never come to fruit, through with listening to all of you morons(yes all of you) *******ize what is otherwise a noble and effective art by trying to add a bunch of bull from other arts just because after 10,20, 30 years of practice you (all of you) still have no real skills. How can you understand why you are adding if you don't even understand what you are adding it too?
Oh, Victor, Dale...instead of looking for typos in my post you could spend that time better by burrying those McWing Chun skills that noone has seen back into the 'Cracker' Jack Box where you got them from. :p
My advice to you all...keep studying those Tube videos. I see you are all well on your way as the video had 200 hits in less than a day. Bet you guys are learning a lot arent you? :)Your welcome.:)

P.S. Lets see If this post lasts longer than the 15 minutes my other one did before it was deleted.

~Cg~ :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYAH23XWYGI

YungChun
12-28-2007, 06:35 AM
I guess thats what happens when you have the 'complexion for protection' of which I dont. And neither does SIFU Ali.
Ah yes it must be a racial issue... ?!?!?! LOL

Everyone is just jealous of those incredible skills--you gotta forgive us.. :rolleyes::eek::o:)

Jeff Bussey
12-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Hey Guys,

Contrast and compare..

If you liked that clip and his explanation, then here's some more:

http://www.rivalboxing.com/e/trainingtips-e.html

J

Ali. R
12-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Hey Guys,

If you liked that clip and his explanation, then here's some more:

http://www.rivalboxing.com/e/trainingtips-e.html

J

That's a nice site J keep em coming... :)

Ali Rahim.

Jeff Bussey
12-28-2007, 06:53 AM
oh hey,
I just looked at the site I just put up and check out the defense against the jab video. On another thread I had mentioned boxing having something like a pak and that was what I was talking about.

Anyways, That's it

J

YungChun
12-28-2007, 07:02 AM
oh hey,
I just looked at the site I just put up and check out the defense against the jab video. On another thread I had mentioned boxing having something like a pak and that was what I was talking about.

Which one? The block, the parry or the catch?

I think there are inherent similarities, but if you get very specific, and I think you have to then IMO there are some significant differences, in timing, position and body movement/mechanics..

Jeff Bussey
12-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Hey Yung Chun

Which one? The block, the parry or the catch?

I think there are inherent similarities, but if you get very specific, and I think you have to then IMO there are some significant differences, in timing, position and body movement/mechanics..

I was talking about the catch. They're not identical, but they are close enough to compare to ving tsun. And to be honest, I think people who haven't seen it before, it may open there eyes a little on another way how to use your pak

J

YungChun
12-28-2007, 07:11 AM
I think people who haven't seen it before, it may open there eyes a little on another way how to use your pak
Interesting..

In terms of range, timing, energy or other?

Jeff Bussey
12-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Hey Yung Chun

Interesting..

In terms of range, timing, energy or other?

Yes. :D
A lot of people when they pak, I find that they put too much energy into it, which slows them down. If you look at how he does the catch (from a ving tsun point of view) he doesn't have to put all kinds of hip into his pak, he's definitely judging his distance properly, he's staying on the outside of the punch and he's maintained his center.
Now, this type of 'pak' would be great to use to pick and choose your shot.

The example that I gave on the other thread, is that after I did the pak/catch I punched over the punching arm before he had time to bring it back.

J

YungChun
12-28-2007, 07:29 AM
A lot of people when they pak, I find that they put too much energy into it, which slows them down. If you look at how he does the catch (from a ving tsun point of view) he doesn't have to put all kinds of hip into his pak, he's definitely judging his distance properly, he's staying on the outside of the punch and he's maintained his center.
Now, this type of 'pak' would be great to use to pick and choose your shot.

The example that I gave on the other thread, is that after I did the pak/catch I punched over the punching arm before he had time to bring it back.

Well, I mean there are all kinds of variations.. What you describe is something I do but normally I consider it a fault on my part. I would prefer to enter with it and use body connection in order to gain connection and initiate disruption.

The problem IMO for both boxers using this and WCK folks is when dealing with a fast jab (much easier on a lazy jab).. It can be very hard to time using visual cues.. And is why IMO you just don't see the timing we look for too often when the opponent has a snappy fast and powerful jab. Of course then you have other options for pak-da used as a second action.. :)

Jeff Bussey
12-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Hey Yung Chun

The problem IMO for both boxers using this and WCK folks is when dealing with a fast jab (much easier on a lazy jab).. It can be very hard to time using visual cues.. And is why IMO you just don't see the timing we look for too often when the opponent has a snappy fast and powerful jab. Of couse then you have other options for pak-da used as a second action.. :)

I'm not sure if I've been clear, but I didn't say that you should replace your ving tsun pak sao with this. I'm just offering another way to look at it. It's a situational thing, and fun to play with. If someone has a fast and powerful jab, they're going to be a handful and I'd want to be on the outside of that, come in when I see something, do what I can and get back out again.

See the problem with coming out too far to catch the punch is that your hand is away from protecting you for too long, so for us to do a pak like in ving tsun in a boxing match, we'd probably get hit. I was just trying to bridge our pak with their catch.
It's not a perfect comparison by any means

J

sanjuro_ronin
12-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Like you said in one of your post, that the pad work that I do is more advanced, and that I should slow it down a bit and go basic, which is true but he already had fight experience before he meet me…

And it is much, much harder to do especially if one just started… But I still find it odd that you’re still analyzing, especially when your not fan or care for it at all… Well I guess we have to start somewhere don’t we…

That’s cool, but I thought you didn’t care for pad work or was not even a fan, and now your analyzing…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

That type is pad work is not more advanced, it used by some boxers that are more advanced (not the same thing).
Just because Floyd uses it, doesn't make it "right".
You seem to be focusing on what YOU think I don't like, ie: pad work and I have said it before, I love pad work, I don't care for THAT TYPE of pad work.

When the holder meets the punch by slapping it he is creating a false "distance" and an incorrect sense of depth in the strikes, he is doing a disservice to a beginner by doing this, and even with a experienced boxer its not the best way to go, but many do this to "save" their shoulder and elbows from the imapct of holding the pads.
As for hitting the trainee with the pads, that is a given, though tapping them is not MY cup of tea, some trainers swear by it, just as other top level ones swear against it.

Even boxing has its controversies in terms of training.

YungChun
12-28-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure if I've been clear, but I didn't say that you should replace your ving tsun pak sao with this.

Totally got that.

I'm just offering another way to look at it. It's a situational thing, and fun to play with. If someone has a fast and powerful jab, they're going to be a handful and I'd want to be on the outside of that, come in when I see something, do what I can and get back out again.

I would want to get in asap and finish, which could mean conversion to "clinch" ..

I was just trying to bridge our pak with their catch.

Got that.. I find it happens naturally, if can't maintain contact use economical movements and press with attack--for me anyhow..

Knifefighter
12-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Well that's all good,

Like you said in one of your post, that the pad work that I do is more advanced, .

LOL @ advanced. That is not advanced. That is the flashy, showy stuff done at press conferences and for promotional clips. Of course someone with no knowledge of real pad work and who learns all their stuff from clips wouldn't necessarily know that.

If you have 100 students, I guess P.T. Barnum was right. Bwhahahahaha!

Ali. R
12-28-2007, 11:26 AM
You get power from hitting the bags not the pads… The focus pads are just what they are for focus and balance not power… Power should be harnessed when working on the focus pads, if not where’s the 100% focus that one should be working on, you should insert true power within the ring and not while hitting the bags or the pads…

Sometimes when one hit the pads or bags it looks like their hitting them hard especially from the sound. Hitting them hard is for show…. Focus pads should be there to structure the fighters intentions technically before going the into ring (game plan)…

The name of the game with the pads is accuracy, landing more clean punches… power comes from the heavy bag, you can hit it hard sometimes, but it’s not recommended by most, because you could hurt yourself seriously in the process…

When you use a lot of power while training, that’s all one will be thinking about while in the ring and with lost of focus you will also miss a lot, and that’s not my 2 cents, that’s a hundred dollar bill.

For all the things that you have said above, I hope someone would tell Roger that, so his people can stop knocking others out, especially this lady champion (4 time women champion) from my boxing community in Detroit…

Just check out her accuracy…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Fy3KyetD4

Don’t think she lost any power while fighting in this fight… and look how close she is, she could go long range I’m sure if she wanted to…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exdSgpZHI00

I'm sorry maybe I was wrong...

But, to each their own...

I’m pretty sure her pad work was not for show and Mayweather’s also…

If you throw a lot of punches on the pads you will throw a lot in the ring…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

sanjuro_ronin
12-28-2007, 01:10 PM
You get power from hitting the bags not the pads… The focus pads are just what they are for focus and balance not power… Power should be harnessed when working on the focus pads, if not where’s the 100% focus that one should be working on, you should insert true power within the ring and not while hitting the bags or the pads…

Sometimes when one hit the pads or bags it looks like their hitting them hard especially from the sound. Hitting them hard is for show…. Focus pads should be there to structure the fighter intention technically before going the into ring (game plan)…

The name of the game with the pads is accuracy, landing more clean punches… power comes for the heavy bag, you can hit it hard sometimes, but it’s not recommended by most, because you could hurt yourself seriously in the process…

When you use a lot of power while training, that’s all one will be thinking about while in the ring and with lost of focus you will also miss a lot, and that’s not my 2 cents, that’s a hundred dollar bill.

For all the things that you have said above, I hope someone would tell Roger that, so his people can stop knocking others out, especially this lady champion (4 time women champion) from my boxing community in Detroit…

Just check out her accuracy…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Fy3KyetD4

Don’t think she lost any power while fighting in this fight… and look how close she is, she could go long range I’m sure if she wanted to…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exdSgpZHI00

I'm sorry maybe I was wrong...

I’m pretty sure her pad work was not for show and Mayweather’s also…

If you throw a lot of punches on the pads you will throw a lot in the ring…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

You fight how you train, if you are working the pads you have to work them like you are gonna fight, that means putting something behind them like Tyson was doing in the clips, not showboating like Floyd.
You say they are for foucs and balance, correct, amongst other things, catch is, th eonly focus and balance you get by working them like you are doing is NOT applicable to when you are actually hitting hard with speed and weight behind the strikes.
As for the defence and evasion you are working, it won't transfer over because the holder of the pads is NOT striking like a boxing opponent would strike.

You say the name of the game is accuracy, well, what accuracy is your boxer working on when YOU bring the pads to HIM ?

As for the clips you just posted, you need to take a better look at what she does in the ring compared to the pads.

YungChun
12-28-2007, 01:21 PM
You fight how you train, if you are working the pads you have to work them like you are gonna fight...

Exactly how this was drilled..
Night and day...

What accuracy is your boxer working on when YOU bring the pads to HIM ?

Clearly, no need for targeting no eye contact, long repeated slap sequences instead of live feedback, variation/ranging and changing from the feeder..

Ali. R
12-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Good posting gentlemen

You guys maybe right, maybe Mayweather Jr. don't have any power, not... Maybe these champion got it all wrong, but they keep winning, and I'll go with the winners... We are talking different styles, Tyson is not a defensive fighter do anyone knows the difference between the two. if you did then you would clearly understand...

Take care,

By the way Mayweather is the most accurate boxer in the game, And that’s because of his uncle pushing him of the pads, maybe you guys are right this fighting style is useless, not...
He never lost and always out landed his opponents, now that's focus...

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
12-28-2007, 02:08 PM
To the Moderator, thank for cleaning it up... :):D:)

Ali Rahim.

sanjuro_ronin
12-28-2007, 02:17 PM
You guys maybe right, maybe Mayweather Jr. don't any power, not... Maybe these champion got it all wrong, but they keep winning, and I'll go with the winners... We are talking different styles, Tyson is not a defensive fighter do anyone knows the difference between the two. if you did then you would clearly understand...

I explained it as best as I could, sorry you didn't get it.
Tyson, in his prime, had excellent defense and head movment, not sure what you mean by "defensive fighter".
Counter puncher perhaps?
Anyways, you go ahead and train the way you wanna, free country and all that.

IRONMONK
12-28-2007, 02:20 PM
I remember Hatton was mocking the way Floyd does his padwork.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Untouchable_kid/Hatton21-1.gif

He got knocked out by Mayweather in his fight so the Mayweather's must be doing something right.

Ali. R
12-28-2007, 02:22 PM
You got that right. :):cool::)

And Hatton is no joke, I have so much respect for him and I’m sure Mayweathers does also…

Ali Rahim.

Mr Punch
12-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Its already been saved once because your 'pals' on here were looking out for you.I've no idea what you're talking about.
Or did you not get to see my answer to your little spineless challenge before they deleted it, Mr Punch?What challenge did I make? PM me to keep this thread clean.
I guess thats what happens when you have the 'complexion for protection' of which I dont. And neither does SIFU Ali.LOL, now wtf are you talking about? And what complexion do I have, Sherlock?

And, Sifu Ali, maybe we should take their word for it...we have been teaching them way too much on this forum and thats probably why they havent banned us yet... still too much to learn from us.You're right - it's a good instructional on what not to do.

Bet you guys are learning a lot arent you?Make that laughing, and you're close. :D

Thanks to JB and YC for some nice posts and getting back to some real points. :)

That type is pad work is not more advanced, it used by some boxers that are more advanced (not the same thing)...And thanks to Sanjuro for this post keepin it real.

You get power from hitting the bags not the pads… ...
When you use a lot of power while training, that’s all one will be thinking about while in the ring and with lost of focus you will also miss a lotThis was an excellent post too, Ali. But again, if that's ALL you're doing on the pads it's no good. Mixing it up's the name of the game.

...from my boxing community in Detroit…Shame you had to slip back into this. Don't you just mean 'from Detroit'? :rolleyes:

Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath are my boys from my town - wanna hear me play guitar? :eek:

If you throw a lot of punches on the pads you will throw a lot in the ring…True, and not contradicting what Sanjuro has said or put up either. Let's go over this again: there are two ways to work the pads (well, there are many ways, but two good ways). Like everything they have their pros and cons. My coach liked to mix it up, but he much preferred the Tyson way, and no, it's not for power, it's for the same reasons that Graychuan put up for working the pads the way Ali shows. However, my coach was always crisp in his movements, something which I don't see in Ali's flailing around, but I do see in the Mayweather clip. (And yeah yeah, keep going with the two-year ****, it's still failing to mean anything - I'm no expert, and my coach is from shooto not boxing, but he is guy who has trained extensively with Kid Yamamoto and his trainer and no slouch) Just because Mayweather is using the same style of practice doesn't mean you're doing the same practice, no matter how many times you drop his name.

Look carefully at this... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Fy3KyetD4). While Mayweather obviously favours the 'Mayweather style', he's mixing it up: the first 18 secs are the more solid, less frenetic 'Tyson style'... he goes back to it briefly later too, too work her up to a higher work-rate.

Earlier Graychuan and Ali asked us to compare vids of their guys to Mayweather's. I did. They're different. On the surface the look similar, but everything from the movement of the pad-holders down to the stance of the fighters and the interaction between the fighter and pad (the feedback) is different. They (Mayweather et al) are sitting on their punches , they have a typical wide boxing stance and excellent footwork to match. (Another important distinction: even though not practicing for power you can see the power coming naturally - it's practicing power without focusing on it - which kind of nixes Ali's point about people focusing too much on it. Although Ali's point holds true for many boxers, he's forgetting that Mayweather is a world class act who's been through ALL the training techs, whereas Ali's own boys ARE NOT - wouldn't teach a chun beginner Biu Jee would you?) Ali's boys (working hard and improving themselves tho they obviously are - kudos to that as I said) don't have the above three points.

I stand by the stuff I said about Ali's chun, his 'knifework', and his grappling: the latter two are going to get someone's ass kicked, and I don't agree with some of his chun stuff either but each to their own. And however many times you put up the same vid, doesn't mean it's getting any better.

Thanks to Sihing for cleaning up the thread - my bad as the instigator of a lot of it. OK, this time I really will try and stay out of here (Ali and Graychuan haven't answered or haven't got any answers for my legitimate points anyway, and I have been very rude in amongst the genuinely constructive criticism). Graychuan, by all means, if you think I was challenging you, PM me. I wasn't challenging you, I was dissing you! There's a difference! :D

Take care.You too, sirs. Out.

Ali. R
12-30-2007, 09:57 PM
When working the pads, far as with different trainers or what not… If your trainer is not fueled far as combination fighting, partially with three to four punches while catching with the shoulders, slipping, pulling away from the right and the left hand, rolling back off the left hooks and constantly countering with three to five shots at a time, then the trainee will not do the same…

Most of the time boxing trainer only does what they know, and what they don’t know they’ll find someone else who knows to train they fighter… Fighters will become a carbon copy of their original trainer… Whatever the trainer can’t do the fighter will not be able to do, because the trainer will only stick to his game play…

If the fighter doesn’t learn how to work three to five punches off a slip or catch when working the pads, then he or she will only throw one to two punches at a time when under pure pressure, rather then two to four punches, because they are taught to throw one or two punches hard with and for power standing in one spot and straight up when throwing combinations, most of the time with just only three punches per combo and by training like that, anything over three punches will be wild as h*ll (one dimensional)

When the trainer have taught the fighter all the basic on the pads, then the trainer should push all kinds of punches on his fighter from all kinds of angles, then he should be catching with the shoulders, slipping, pulling away from the right and the left hand, rolling back off the left hooks and constantly countering with three to five shots at a time, then he or she will throw two to four shot when under pressure, the more punches you throw on the pads the more you will throw in the ring, simple is that….

Ali Rahim.

Graychuan
12-31-2007, 06:44 AM
When working the pads, far as with different trainers or what not… If your trainer is not fueled far as combination fighting, partially with three to four punches while catching with the shoulders, slipping, pulling away from the right and the left hand, rolling back off the left hooks and constantly countering with three to five shots at a time, then the trainee will not do the same…

Most of the time boxing trainer only does what they know, and what they don’t know they’ll find someone else who knows to train they fighter… Fighters will become a carbon copy of their original trainer… Whatever the trainer can’t do the fighter will not be able to do, because the trainer will only stick to his game play…

If the fighter doesn’t learn how to work three to five punches off a slip or catch when working the pads, then he or she will only throw one to two punches at a time when under pure pressure, rather then two to four punches, because they are taught to throw one or two punches hard with and for power standing in one spot and straight up when throwing combinations, most of the time with just only three punches per combo and by training like that, anything over three punches will be wild as h*ll (one dimensional)

When the trainer have taught the fighter all the basic on the pads, then the trainer should push all kinds of punches on his fighter from all kinds of angles, then he should be catching with the shoulders, slipping, pulling away from the right and the left hand, rolling back off the left hooks and constantly countering with three to five shots at a time, then he or she will throw two to four shot when under pressure, the more punches you throw on the pads the more you will throw in the ring, simple is that….

Ali Rahim.

The same could be said of WC with regards to Luk-Sao and Phoon-Sao practice. Your hand speed is phenomenal. Could it be that your WC handspeed has benefited from this type of padwork from your boxing background? Hmmmmm:D

Ali. R
12-31-2007, 09:49 AM
The same could be said of WC with regards to Luk-Sao and Phoon-Sao practice. Your hand speed is phenomenal. Could it be that your WC handspeed has benefited from this type of padwork from your boxing background? Hmmmmm:D

That’s correct Chris, it’s something I’ve been doing all my life hitting and working the pads… I started boxing at the age of seven (first organized fight was at the of 8) and at the age of 12, I started with the advanced pad play with consistent catching and return flow, with three to five punches on the return and after learning how to slip and catch three to four sometimes five shots at a time… At the age of 16 I was sparring with most of the veteran fighters that where in my boxing community or other pro fighters that visited these gyms…

Kronk Boxing

Oakdale Boxing

8th Street Boxing

And yes the pads did contribute to my hand speed and accuracy (you should know Chris, I don’t miss), hitting them and working them both for many, many years…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Liddel
12-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Your hand speed is phenomenal.

Too Bad we dont see that in the myriad of vids you guys put out.....

Must be the frame rate slowing things down huh ?

:cool:
Drew

Ali. R
12-31-2007, 06:09 PM
This is my kali instructor, ‘Ron Devu’ from the Philippines, here are both of us working out together, he lives here in Louisville and we see each other a lot… Guru Ron has been training since a very young age… He’s my age now, and he’s very good in what he does…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN_pP4OjQ8Y

Hey cant show everything all the time...

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Liddel
12-31-2007, 09:54 PM
I like Baat Jum Do for weapons better :D
I prefer British CQB tactics for knife defence :D

...at least you put yourself out there Ali, i dont, nuf said.

Happy New Year.

DREW

Graychuan
01-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Too Bad we dont see that in the myriad of vids you guys put out.....

:cool:
Drew

So! You have been studying hard. Great job, mane!:D

Ali. R
01-04-2008, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3jpb32WOg

This is a new clip in our gallery...

Ali Rahim.

Mr Punch
01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Different video, exactly the same stuff. You're still not getting it are you?

YungChun
01-05-2008, 04:51 AM
Different video, exactly the same stuff. You're still not getting it are you?
Don't waste your breath bro..

Can't teach a rock new tricks....

They think they have cornered the market on quality.. :eek:

Ali. R
01-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Hum, hum good, now that’s fresh hater aid…

We only have one clip that is the same; all of the other clips that are in this video are new and different techniques that we are approaching… LOL, LOL...

Let's flick the switch once again...

Ali Rahim.

Graychuan
01-05-2008, 10:27 AM
[/B]
Don't waste your breath bro..

Can't teach a rock new tricks....

They think they have cornered the market on quality.. :eek:

We have never said any such thing. As for our skills in Boxing/Wing Chun. We dont think we have skills...we know we have skills! :D

Ali. R
01-05-2008, 11:41 AM
As long if one don’t “trip”, the haters would have to put words in the mouths of others, or even take on drastic measures to prove to others that one is truly knowledgeable in something that shows others their lack of understanding, “of the true game"…

Ali Rahim.

Mr Punch
01-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Hum, hum good, now that’s fresh hater aid…

We only have one clip that is the same; all of the other clips that are in this video are new and different techniques that we are approaching… LOL, LOL...

Let's flick the switch once again...

Ali Rahim.Now, see, I thought we'd cleared the air with those couple of PMs, and there you go with the name-calling and saying that just because people disagree with you they're hater. Ad hominem all the way.

In case you hadn't noticed there are still some things you didn't comment on (about some constructive criticism I offered). And the vid is different but the contents are the same: the same padwork - no bagwork, no sitting on punches, chain punch-style punches (no body movement, semi-front-facing), rarely any jab work, precious few combinations (I guess you''re not teaching them to him on the pads because all you're doing is that fast freestyle padwork), no demonstration of a knowledge of basic footwork (there is: there are TWO turns - count them... but the rest of his footwork is stationary pretty much, and flatfooted - no bounce), no combination padwork (what's been called here 'Tyson' stuff but which has been pointed out to also be used by Roger Mayweather in his training vid that YOU put up)... etc etc etc...

Shall I write them in a numbered list with references to the time these things happen specifically in Mayweather's vid next time?

The other way is you could go through the vid and tell us what you see as being different in some way to the previous vids.

These are not personal attacks, Ali. However much you call me a snake, it's not about YOU. But yeah, whatever, if you just want to insist you've got the goods and stick you fingers in you ears going lalalalala that's one way of going about life.

MapoTofu
01-07-2008, 03:57 AM
Hi Chris,

You seem like a nice person. Have you played Chi Sau with Wing Chun practitioners outside your school?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtAEDbe72ts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtAEDbe72ts)

Graychuan
01-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Hi Chris,

You seem like a nice person. Have you played Chi Sau with Wing Chun practitioners outside your school?

Thanks for the flattering compliment:D.
As for Chi Sao outside of the school, so far 4 people for sure. Two were from another Louisville school and one was visiting from California, an asian guy said he was from William Cheungs schools but he was only present for one evening. Then there is a new guy who has family here but travels a lot. Name is Trystan but forgot what line he originally studied. He is due to be back in town this Feb/March so we will be seeing him again. He trained with us for about 2 1/2 weeks before taking off again.
All the rest has been using Chi Sao in our group class sparring against a lot of Kempo people anywhere form 1-3 times a week.

Ali. R
01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
When one throws a lot of combinations when fighting or working on the pads, he has to remain flat-footed because the young fighter should be learning how to get power from the floor, just as in wing chun…

When throwing a lot of punches and learning how to develop power from a stance point of view, those combos that are seen while working on the pads may look like there is no power in them, but as long if one is developing power from staying connected to the floor anyone of those combinations could easily be turned into power shots (true focus), from a stance point of view or being connected to the floor…

One should only start to fight on his toes when you are hurt or just really out class the fighter that’s in the ring at the moment, doing that (on your toes) in the streets can get one killed, unless the one you are fighting is not in harmony with the idea of attack… In the street where I’m from (Detroit) you wait, you may or could die…

You have to develop power from somewhere… If you’re not connected to the floor, then you sure wont find it on your toes…

Ali Rahim.

Jeff Bussey
01-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey Ali,

One should only start to fight on his toes when you are hurt or just really out class the fighter that’s in the ring at the moment, doing that (on your toes) in the streets can get one killed, unless the one you are fighting is not in harmony with the idea of attack… In the street where I’m from (Detroit) you wait, you may or could die…

You have to develop power from somewhere… If you’re not connected to the floor, then you sure wont find it on your toes…

Ali Rahim.

Actually the basic boxing stance is shown with the back heel off the floor from day 1. At least that's how I was taught.

What about everyone else?

J

Mr Punch
01-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for your answers Ali, Jeff.
When one throws a lot of combinations when fighting or working on the pads, he has to remain flat-footed because the young fighter should be learning how to get power from the floor, just as in wing chun…Like Jeff, that's the opposite of what I was taught... I was taught in boxing we get power from the floor but with mobility, not 'from the toes' but from a good balls of the feet stance and sitting on your punches.

Like Jeff this was drilled into us from day one. My coach had 'completed' the wing chun system's empty hand stuff under Yip Chun, and was constantly dogging me about my flat-footed stance (well I say constantly, but after he knocked me around a bit in sparring to illustrate why it wasn't going to work, it didn't take me long to adapt :eek: ;) )

When throwing a lot of punches and learning how to develop power from a stance point of view, those combos that are seen while working on the pads may look like there is no power in them, but as long if one is developing power from staying connected to the floor anyone of those combinations could easily be turned into power shots (true focus), from a stance point of view or being connected to the floor…When you watch the Mayweather training clip you put up you can see the power generation in every move that young lady makes. That's not to say she's focusing too much on power (although she does look like she's trying to hard sometimes and her shoulders are coming up so she's telegraphing and maybe hitting a bit too hard from what I was taught for padwork but she's way better than me anyway) or that she's necessarily hitting too hard, but that you can see her footwork, her body movement and her sitting on her punches.

Your young man Ali, as well as not moving his feet doesn't seem to be moving his body much either. When he ducks (and his upper body evasive moves are very nice) he doesn't seem to be connecting to his lower body to be able to fire off a punch from any angle as he comes back up, as she does.

I dunno. Maybe I missed something, but even given stylistic differences their movement seems very different to me.

Steeeve
01-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Ali keep the good work :)

Does someone know the Filipino Boxing Here ...Panantukan

Steeve

Mr Punch
01-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Look, Ali sir, this has gone beyond a normal discussion about training methods, and I don't want to keep coming back here and ragging on you...

I just noticed you've been training these kids the same way for what, 8 mths now? So whatever, you've got your way of doing things and you're not going to change, so all I've got left to say is I really wish him the best of luck. Just make sure he knows: confidence is all well and good but in every fight there's a loser too. That way he's more likely not to just give up at his first defeat (if of course, he's defeated).

Jeff Bussey
02-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Hey Ali,
I just came across this site

http://www.boxingdaily.co.uk/

I don't know anything about using the same backgrounds on pages but just wanted to let you know about in case there are legal issues. There may not be, I really don't know anything about that kind of thing.

J

Ali. R
02-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Hey Ali,
I just came across this site

http://www.boxingdaily.co.uk/

I don't know anything about using the same backgrounds on pages but just wanted to let you know about in case there are legal issues. There may not be, I really don't know anything about that kind of thing.

J

It’s looks similar to mine’s but that’s ok, if you look at the copyright dates (at the bottom of each page) you can see for yourself that I was first … I hope it works for them, to tell you the truth, I’m flatter…

He has just over a hundred readers I have well over five hundred…

Man, I have more hit’s from the UK than anywhere else, (fans) so to me, I guess they have the right…

Ali Rahim.

Jeff Bussey
02-24-2008, 08:34 AM
That's cool.
I just wanted to point it out, cause like I said, I don't know anything about that kind of stuff.

J

Graychuan
02-24-2008, 01:34 PM
That's cool.
I just wanted to point it out, cause like I said, I don't know anything about that kind of stuff.

J

Same here. I know very little about it but I DO know that you can buy web templates just like software packages. You can even buy a package for a forum already made and done and it just needs to be installed. Just wordz for thought. :)

Ali. R
03-17-2008, 09:15 AM
The fury’s first fight (done a lot of sparring) will be in June, he’ll just turn 17 years old, against a 35-year old veteran club fighter here in Louisville, Kentucky; this will be his true test, he’s been training for a year in a half, four to five days a week…

He will be going national when he graduates from high school next year, (a lot of club fighting for now, his own people) he will fight in the nationals for three to four years, and if things go well, then he will be picked up by ‘Bernard Hopkins’ of “Golden Boy Promotions” at least, he was the first to contact us…

No matter the outcome the fight will be posted here…

Ali Rahim.

Jeff Bussey
03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Had to post this. :D

Warning: there is some swearing in this clip in case you're in an office or somewhere that it wouldn't be appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QevWKNM9JWY

J

Ali. R
03-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Had to post this. :D

Warning: there is some swearing in this clip in case you're in an office or somewhere that it wouldn't be appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QevWKNM9JWY

J

Hey Jeff, I really like that clip, thanks a lot for posting it...:D:)

Ali. R
03-19-2008, 01:29 AM
A lot of people just can’t see the subtleness in that kind of pad training… I’ve matched this fight up well; some really thinks he’s going to get killed (and that’s what I want), but I know better… If one is not in shape to go three/three minutes rounds with this “kid”, then you’re not even half way there, especially if they find him hard too hit…

There is an article with this artwork I’ve released it a little earlier but it will hit louisvillegoldengloves.com soon, as you can see they take their boxing serious here in Louisville… http://detroitwingchun.com/sponsorshippromotion.htm

Ali Rahim.

Graychuan
03-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Sifu Ali, Im still impressed at how you handled making the deal for the fight. A grown man from another local boxing club will be a good first fight but from what Ive seen there will be no worrys. I really think the Fury will be hard to hit if at all.

If anyone hasnt seen this here is his myspace page....this kid gets mails from Bernard Hopkins for cryin' out loud!

http://www.myspace.com/so_you_think_you_can_box

Ali. R
03-19-2008, 10:54 PM
You know he just kept asking me for a fight outside of his own people, about 8 different times he asked me, so I’m throwing him to the lions, and just about every other guy he fought with were already in their 30’s and 40’s anyway…

So far he hasn’t been caught solid yet, and you seen him run off real clean three punch combinations and roll off with another combo as well, just something special to see and be around…

He won’t get knocked out, that’s for sure; he said he really wants to be a champion, so I’ll give him to the loins… I’ve done it before and this is just one loin he hasn’t caged yet…

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
03-19-2008, 11:19 PM
He has 15 fights in this division, and the average age is 25 years and up, I’ve seen most of them fight and really think I’m blessed, cuz he have a real good chance on winning them all…

And there's no telling how many he would have to fight twice, this could be a cakewalk with some real good battles, about a fight every two weeks for a little less then one year, before going Golden Glove...

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
03-21-2008, 07:11 AM
For those who couldn’t see the site the first time (Fury’s)…

Ali Rahim,

Liddel
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Seen as we're on the boxing buz i thought you might like a feel good clip thats floating round youtube at the mo....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y65VcABUzr8

It kinda motivated me into training harder and its worth a look just for the cute factor....:)

Five years old Bro !

DREW

Graychuan
03-21-2008, 06:56 PM
I see what you are saying about the little girl. She is good but I bet a lot of it was the training and the fact that a kid will do exactly as you tell them as long as they are having fun. Not to go against what you said but she obviously has a good coach too.

Liddel
03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I see what you are saying about the little girl. She is good but I bet a lot of it was the training and the fact that a kid will do exactly as you tell them as long as they are having fun. Not to go against what you said but she obviously has a good coach too.

Huh ? I just posted the link. Made no comment about anything else :confused:

Although i am starting to see why she's learning boxing...
Its a little boy bro. Men have pony tails too. LOL

:D
DREW

Ali. R
03-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Want be long before he pay bills, cuz the little fellow got skills…

The coach is the bomb and that’s for sure, and that’s were it all starts from… If he stops listening it’s all down hill from there, it seems that the trainer spends a lot of time with him, so I’m sure he will guide him through his fights as well as he’s career…

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y65VcABUzr8

Ali Rahim.

IRONMONK
03-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Looks like Amir Khan(olympic silver medallist) has adopted Mayweather's padwork

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzF9UBst1IQ

Graychuan
03-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Huh ? I just posted the link. Made no comment about anything else :confused:

Although i am starting to see why she's learning boxing...
Its a little boy bro. Men have pony tails too. LOL

DREW

My fault, mane! I watched this at work...didnt have any audio either. (carefully removes foot from mouth).:D

Graychuan
03-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Looks like Amir Khan(olympic silver medallist) has adopted Mayweather's padwork

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzF9UBst1IQ

I think this kind of padwork will be seen more from others in the near future.

Ali. R
03-22-2008, 07:58 PM
I think this kind of padwork will be seen more from others in the near future.

It always has been a “Detroit Thang” mane, nothing but sweetness will come out of it, the "Fury" will prove that...

Ali Rahim.

Graychuan
03-23-2008, 07:40 AM
It always has been a “Detroit Thang” mane, nothing but sweetness will come out of it, the "Fury" will prove that...

Ali Rahim.

I think Maywether, has set the new water-mark for training methods. The one-dimensional boxers will slowly but surely be weeded out. June will be here before we know it.

Ali. R
03-23-2008, 08:43 AM
I think Maywether, has set the new water-mark for training methods. The one-dimensional boxers will slowly but surely be weeded out. June will be here before we know it.

You got that right, in fact; that style of pad work has been around in Detroit long before young ‘Mayweather’ was born…

Forget gold, my boy is platinum!! ;)

Ali Rahim.

Mr Punch
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Good luck to your fighter Ali; I wish you and him all the best.

Ali. R
03-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Good luck to your fighter Ali; I wish you and him all the best.

Thanks.

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
The “Fury" just got two new sparring partners that he will work with, you won't believe this, tell me all; what do you think? Terri Blair the current NABC 135lbs World Champion, IBA 147lbs World Champion… and Caitlin Dance... :D

http://corelouisville.com/coreevents.html

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
06-20-2008, 08:13 AM
The fight will be very soon, and I was asked by the future management not too show more video clips, it’s within the kids best interests…

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
06-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Bernard Hopkins just loves this kid!

"The Fury" new updated site…

Ali Rahim.

Pork Chop
06-20-2008, 01:16 PM
This thread's an interesting read.
When I first found that Roger Mayweather training tape in like 03~04; it was definitely a gold mine for building solid defense into pad work.
Suntzu and I spent a lot of time modifying it for use with Thai pads & kickboxing techniques.
We came up in Baltimore, with a lot of interaction with DC and Philly boxers; so the Michigan style was a bit of a breath of fresh air.

Since I moved back to Texas, I've been trying to pick up the Texas Slide - made famous by Jack Johnson, somewhat imitated by early Foreman.
It's emphasis is on parrying, which I think works a lot better for kickboxing (sanshou, muay thai, etc) than a style more reliant on head movement, like say a Tyson peekaboo or Dempsey roll.

Hard to find trainers who know the old Texas parrying style though, so have had to rely heavily on fight footage and outside sources like chinese arts, old-school bare knuckle resources, and muay thai (which was influenced early on by an older style of boxing than is currently taught in gyms today).
EDIT:Compound that with the fact that I'm a southpaw and it's either a daunting task or a HUGE bag of tricks to pull from to keep opponents from getting too comfortable. :)

Mr Punch
07-15-2008, 09:14 PM
The fury’s first fight (done a lot of sparring) will be in June, he’ll just turn 17 years old, against a 35-year old veteran club fighter here in Louisville, Kentucky; this will be his true test, he’s been training for a year in a half, four to five days a week…

He will be going national when he graduates from high school next year, (a lot of club fighting for now, his own people) he will fight in the nationals for three to four years, and if things go well, then he will be picked up by ‘Bernard Hopkins’ of “Golden Boy Promotions” at least, he was the first to contact us…

No matter the outcome the fight will be posted here…

Ali Rahim.Hi Ali.

Just wondered if you had any results on that fight yet?

:)

Ali. R
09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Here is ‘The Fury’ doing the “roll out” (mandatory beat down) to one of his fellow club members, you must get rolled out on the floor for six months before one could even see the ring…

They both started around the same time and Skylar out weighs him by 35lb. and is 1in taller then the ‘Fury’, and two years older soon to be 19…

The ‘Fury’ can make you miss a lot, and have well above average defensive skills for someone his age (he just turned 17, and I started with him @ age 14) and is very good with the shoulder catch, footwork and his balance and he’s highly accurate with his punches too…

I’m very pound of this kid I’ve tried to make him quit over and over again, but he just stayed in the pocket and fought back, My Man!!!…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFvX8PmMBRM

Enjoy!

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
09-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Sorry about the typos, just moving way to fast…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFvX8PmMBRM

Ali Rahim.

Wu Wei Wu
09-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Mighty Boosh Boxing Club sponsored link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15wZeEJWKxc&NR=1

Ali. R
09-21-2008, 06:23 AM
I’m truly a fan of the bbc comedy and always have been, some of the worlds best comedian are from that area.

It’s always a big deal when he does this to another tough kid, and most of the kids that he fights with are trouble youth and ex-bullies in and out of jail as you can see by simply looking and the other kids left ankle…

Boy, all of the smaller kids love him, he proved himself against people twice his age and size many times, he may be small put have the heart of a 250lb man…

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
12-27-2008, 07:54 AM
I told you guys he would get out classed early in his career, and it was by a journeyman...

This is what I said, on the sixth post of this thread...

“He’s all right; he’s kinda one dimensional like Ricky Hatton, but hey as you can see that’s how he’s taught to fight… Hey, fighting like that, your bond to get out classed, but I hope he wins a lot before that happens or get a new trainer"…

Gold Medal or not, he needs a new trainer… ‘Hatton’ got one, and his name is
Floyd Mayweather Sr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t04kXaoNvYk

Ali Rahim.

Wu Wei Wu
12-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Yes mate.

And I suppose steROID Jones Jnr. also got a new trainer, called Calzaghe.

Suki

Ali. R
12-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Roy Jones Jr. should has stop boxing years ago and I was never a fan of his, I could care less about him.

As you can clearly see on the clip he was out punched (he threw just a jab at a time), as I’ve said before one-dimensional…

I want fight over non-sense...

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
12-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Notice how he stayed on his back foot with the heel raised off the floor, when he got hit, he couldn’t get his balance back…

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
12-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Khan did just as he did on the clip in the ring, throwing 1,2’s and maybe a 1,2,3 when hitting the pads (really hard), but when under pressure all he could do is throw one punch at a time…

Just as I said when hitting the pads you have to come up with many scenarios dealing with catching countering, and a minimal of three to five punches when working the pads to get a jump on your opponent when countering…

The more punches you throw when hitting the pads, the more you will throw when in the ring (fighting)… Khan won those earlier fights with natural ability and good management, and any good trainer knows that the fundamentals in a pro setting only will take you so far…

And that’s why I said what I said, because khan has never shown me anything promising, just off balance counter punching and seems to land with those punches most of the time in which got him in trouble in this fight…

But he has good fundamentals and that will never be enough when dealing with lighter weight fighters, because most of them can throw three to four punches at a time…

His trainer is not good enough for a pro setting if he couldn’t pick that up… His manager and trainer should have never gave him that fight anyway, what a mess…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wfL3OHmtmQ

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
12-28-2008, 07:50 PM
In other words, the management was so good that the trainer and fighter got confused…

Ali Rahim.

Matrix
12-28-2008, 08:12 PM
In other words, the management was so good that the trainer and fighter got confused…

Ali Rahim.It looks like he just got beaten by a superior fighter. That's life.

Ali. R
12-28-2008, 08:32 PM
It looks just like his training clip, that’s what it looks like… He came up in the game with that same stuff he had that got him a medal, which is cool…

He simply don’t throw enough punches to deal with a power punchers, if one read this thread and watch that clip, he’s repeating on tape on which I’ve been saying all alone…

You can’t take that fact away, I said it cause I knew it was going to happen and no one here seen it coming… But yet I was ridiculed for that opinion…

And it happen tit for tat, just as I said it would, early in his career and he would get out punched, and I still can’t get that …:rolleyes:

Ali Rahim.

Matrix
12-28-2008, 08:37 PM
It looks just like his training clip, that’s what it looks like… He came up in the game with that same stuff he had that got him a medal, which is cool…
It's human nature for people to continue to do what has worked for them up to the point where it becomes painly obvious that it no longer works - even then they may not change. Time will tell I guess.

Ali. R
12-28-2008, 08:45 PM
All I’m saying, just like I said in the sixth post of this thread, “his trainer should have seen that coming a lot earlier especially in that weight class…

With no offense intended, I have enough understanding of the game, that I can tie that clip (the fight) into every word that I’ve been saying (mark for post)…

Ali Rahim.

Wu Wei Wu
12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
If you are going to write about a topic. It pays to know something about that topic.

Khan lost in September 2008. He has since been training with Freddie Roach. Khan fought again on 8 December 2008. But, I suppose you would know that... wouldn't you?

Suki

Ali. R
12-29-2008, 10:41 AM
He said he made a mistake, this is very true outside of being off balance with his heel off the floor (could not move around with his feet) but he threw punches while only using his waist because of that fact…

But the biggest mistake of all in that fight was; he lead off with an uppercut to early in the fight in which left him wide open defensively (That's the trainers fault, and a beginners mistake) all he could think about is power shots, because of the way he trained…

Ali Rahim.

Graychuan
12-29-2008, 07:02 PM
He’s all right; he’s kinda one dimensional like Ricky Hatton, but hey as you can see that’s how he’s taught to fight… Hey, fighting like that, your bond to get out classed, but I hope he wins a lot before that happens or get a new trainer…

I guess it’s a Detroit, Michigan thing, consistently fighting mostly in threes and fours and sometime five strikes per entry, consistently slipping punches and catching with the shoulders, like these Michigan born fighter, James “Lights Out Toney, Bernard “Super Bad” Mays, Thomas “Hit Man” Hearns and of course Mayweather Jr. and Oba Carr... Oh yeah, and yours truly, are all defensive fighters...

Being a defensive fighter in the ring, will give the audience their moneys worth, no doubt on that… The names of this game is to catch and make them miss, don't get hit...

Ali Rahim.

I also rememeber a page or two where Jeff Bussey talked about the comparison of the Pak-Sao (WC)and the Catch (pugilistic boxing). Its cool to see pugilists who can counter 3-4 shots off of the defensive manuvers (like the catch,bat,parry, salute and check) in the ring.
In my opinion tho, this Prescott guy is still a little wild. Winds up his strikes waaaaay too much (see slow- mo). That fight would have been over the first knockdown had Pres landed the wild right but he reached too far back to start.
I will not go so far as to say he is not good. This was only a 30 second fight. There is no way to tell how he would have loosened up after 4-5 rounds.

Dont have 2 cents...but I can make change. :D

Shadow_warrior8
01-02-2009, 07:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omVtgujlQR0

1-6-2008 詠春網聚 (Ving Tsun Meet)- 自由搏擊 (Free Fight) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_H2EEyI3yo

1-6-2008 詠春網聚 (Ving Tsun Meet)- 自由搏擊 (Free Fight) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1zPXhk16N8

Ali. R
01-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Nice skills, and it looks like you guys are having a lot of fun…

Thanks for the clips…

Ali Rahim.

Hardwork108
01-07-2009, 06:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omVtgujlQR0

1-6-2008 詠春網聚 (Ving Tsun Meet)- 自由搏擊 (Free Fight) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_H2EEyI3yo

1-6-2008 詠春網聚 (Ving Tsun Meet)- 自由搏擊 (Free Fight) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1zPXhk16N8

Interesting videos, thank you. Shadow_warrior, are you a member of that school? Anyway, the school site is interesting as well and I will be reading the material there when I have a little bit more time on my hands.

Thanks again.:)

HW8

Ali. R
01-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey Hardwork,

I like this vid as well, If you haven’t seen the movie (Yip Man ), you can enjoy it right now in its entirety…:):D:)

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=P48XMLGX

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

stonecrusher69
01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
You can only watch so much of the movie then you have to wait an hour to watch the rest of it...what a tease..

Hardwork108
01-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey Hardwork,

I like this vid as well, If you haven’t seen the movie (Yip Man ), you can enjoy it right now in its entirety…:):D:)

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=P48XMLGX

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Hello Ali,

I missed this post as I had forgotten to subscribe to this thread when I posted here. Thanks for the link. I was hoping to find a copy of this movie on dvd here in Colombia but I have lost hope (for now), so your link was a pleasant surprise.

I will watch the movie as soon as I find some quality time.

Thank you once again.

HW108

Hardwork108
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Hello Ali,

At last I managed to find time and saw the movie (in two parts). It was great and will be in my dvd collection once I find one to buy.

Ali. R
01-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Hello Ali,

At last I managed to find time and saw the movie (in two parts). It was great and will be in my dvd collection once I find one to buy.

You’re welcome anytime…

Here’s one of my youngest students at age 14. He’d trained close to three years (mostly private); he’s now a Sifu/Assistant. This kid has very good timing for someone his age…

And he's chewing gum at the same time...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVtHg1jPX8Y

Ali Rahim.

Hardwork108
01-25-2009, 02:32 PM
You’re welcome anytime…

Here’s one of my youngest students at age 14. He’d trained close to three years (mostly private); he’s now a Sifu/Assistant. This kid has very good timing for someone his age…

And he's chewing gum at the same time...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVtHg1jPX8Y

Ali Rahim.

Thanks Ali. The kid seemed relaxed and flowing. No doubt if he continues with his WC studies he will have a great kung fu future :).

Ali. R
02-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Hey thanks,

He started at the age of five, far as his martial art studies and he has a 2nd degree black belt in Kempo…

Chris gave him that belt; which made him easy to teach and the size factor a minute detail of reality in his mind…

His second year, I really punked him and jumped him hard just to see if he would cry, he was terrified but kept structure and became a little nervous when ever I called his name out in class …

This went on a for few months; after that; he started to adapt and deal with pressure of twice his size (grace under pressure)...

I think he’ll do just fine when he’s in his early/mid twenties, that’s when things should really open up for him (far as his wing chun understanding and knowledge)…

Again thanks,

Ali Rahim.

Hardwork108
02-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey thanks,

He started at the age of five, far as his martial art studies and he has a 2nd degree black belt in Kempo…

Chris gave him that belt; which made him easy to teach and the size factor a minute detail of reality in his mind…

His second year, I really punked him and jumped him hard just to see if he would cry, he was terrified but kept structure and became a little nervous when ever I called his name out in class …

This went on a for few months; after that; he started to adapt and deal with pressure of twice his size (grace under pressure)...

I think he’ll do just fine when he’s in his early/mid twenties, that’s when things should really open up for him (far as his wing chun understanding and knowledge)…

Again thanks,

Ali Rahim.

Thanks for the info. Nothing beats a genuine sifu´s touch and attention in bringing out the best in his students.

As I said before it seems that he is going to have a great kung fu future and it seems that you will be there to see that he does!:)

Kansuke
02-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info. Nothing beats a genuine sifu´s touch

Well, now we know what he was 'training' in London! :eek:

Ali. R
02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Here’s a young man from Cuba, which has been with me for a while now, he just turned 16 and his debut fight will be this summer at a local fight club venue/dance hall… This kid is 6’1 175lb and can fight defensively too

He’s a big kid, but can move very well and has good balance… He also has a very good right hand; he’s truly packing dynamite… He’d actually drop a few guys older and bigger the himself…

Here he is doing the roll out/roll dog (Ring is set up all-day Sunday about 5hrs, a must for new fighters, once a week only…) to a heavyweight member (55lb heavier and 3in taller then himself)…

He was told only to use defensive movement and don’t hit back until you see him sucking for air (just a jab)… I didn’t want to put it all up on youtube, to help everyone save face…

I’m blessed to have a camp of very young fighters…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0_C4257Klg

Ali Rahim.

punchdrunk
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
I enjoy the clips, bet your kids can fight! I have a question (not a Criticism) when you work the focus pads on the kids you downward slap their gloves a lot in their guard, just wondering what your workin on them and why? I've seen slaps done by trainers to make the boxer keep a good guard but I'd love to hear your input. Thanx for sharing.

Ali. R
02-20-2009, 06:35 AM
The boxer himself stays very relaxed as possible when I forcefully drop the pads downward on his guard or punches, this develops a form of isometrics while at the same heightens one’s reflexes and helps the young fighter to feel solid pressure offensively as well as defensively…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

t_niehoff
02-20-2009, 07:25 AM
What I look for (and you can even hear it) when I see boxing training vids is the quality of body mechanics in action. Here are some good examples:

11 year-old training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxsMtRmgAes

9 year-old training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJtdUwzaN2A

5 year-old training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1KfvOYVi0

a 15 year-old Mike Tyson in action (training and then fighting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRs5budNvxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIi5YOfXh14

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2009, 07:28 AM
What I look for (and you can even hear it) when I see boxing training vids is the quality of body mechanics in action. Here are some good examples:

11 year-old training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxsMtRmgAes

9 year-old training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJtdUwzaN2A

5 year-old training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_1KfvOYVi0

a 15 year-old Mike Tyson in action (training and then fighting)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRs5budNvxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIi5YOfXh14

Excellent clips Terrence.
That 11 year old was truly awesome.

t_niehoff
02-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Excellent clips Terrence.
That 11 year old was truly awesome.

Can't you just imagine what will happen to someone trying to simultaneous block (parry) and hit that kid? ;)

Phil Redmond
02-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Can't you just imagine what will happen to someone trying to simultaneous block (parry) and hit that kid? ;)
Simultaneous blocking and striking can't be done all the time but it can be done. ;)

t_niehoff
02-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Simultaneous blocking and striking can't be done all the time but it can be done. ;)

Yes, Phil, it can be done. Boxers do it too. There is a time and place for them. But it is a low percentage move and it often leaves you exposed for #2.

Phil Redmond
02-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Yes, Phil, it can be done. Boxers do it too. There is a time and place for them. But it is a low percentage move and it often leaves you exposed for #2.
I can't argue that one.

Ultimatewingchun
02-20-2009, 08:10 AM
What's a low percentage move?

Simultaneous block and strike in general? Hell no.

Certain simultaneous blocking and striking moves that are attempted at the wrong timing, and at the wrong distances, and with the wrong body positioning?

Yeah.

But from close quarters when the above conditions have been met, it can be used - and used frequently.

Ali. R
02-20-2009, 08:12 AM
It’s all-good, but where’s the defense? SEE, this what I’ve been saying all alone anyone can throw a good punch, but can one stop a punch when it counts…

I’m not here to say that the kids on the clips are not good, in which they are. But it’s their trainer’s fault that they train with their hands in the middle of their chest, while showing everyone on how many hard and fast punches that their kids can throw…

But in Tyson’s clip you can clearly see the difference when he’s shadow boxing (all defense) and that’s because he had a world-class trainer at the age of 15, in which I feel it’s very hard to compare other children to a young ‘Tyson’s abilities, because all of Tyson’s young life, all he did was street fight…

Anyone can throw a punch but can you stop one when it counts, remember that power should be harnessed when hitting the pads or one would have the lost of defensive capabilities… One should focus when hitting the focus pads, defensive as well offensively…

I look for good defense first; power will come if one continues to train properly

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

sanjuro_ronin
02-20-2009, 08:14 AM
It’s all-good, but where’s the defense? SEE, this what I’ve been saying all alone anyone can throw a good punch, but can one stop a punch when it counts…

I’m not here to say that the kids on the clips are not good, in which they are. But it’s their trainer’s fault that they train with their hands in the middle of their chest, while showing everyone on how many hard and fast punches that their kids can throw…

But in Tyson’s clip you can clearly see the difference when he’s shadow boxing (all defense) and that’s because he had a world-class trainer at the age of 15, in which I feel it’s very hard to compare other children to a young ‘Tyson’s abilities, because all of Tyson’s young life, all he did was street fight…

Anyone can throw a punch but can you stop one when it counts, remember that power should be harnessed when hitting the pads or one would have the lost of defensive capabilities… One should focus when hitting the focus pads, defensive as well offensively…

I look for good defense first; power will come if one continues to train properly

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

While the second kid is king of just there, how can you say the first one has no defense ??

Ali. R
02-20-2009, 08:19 AM
When he throws his punches watch his hands, they only come up after he’s done punching, as in Tyson clip they never drop… I like to thank you guys for the good posting…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

t_niehoff
02-20-2009, 08:28 AM
What's a low percentage move?

To answer your question: When you take something and try to use it against competant fighters over some period of time, you will begin to see that some things work much, much more often than other things. You can't from theory determine what is or is not high/low percentage -- you can only determine that from EXPERIENCE.

Simultaneous block and strike in general? Hell no.

Certain simultaneous blocking and striking moves that are attempted at the wrong timing, and at the wrong distances, and with the wrong body positioning?

Yeah.

But from close quarters when the above conditions have been met, it can be used - and used frequently.

People can say this or that works -- showing it working is something else. IME simultaneous block and striking can work at distance (in free-movement range) when your opponent throws wide, slow punches (bad swings, for example -- you know, the thing you showed on your youtumbe demo that you called a hook). On the inside ("close quarters"), you won't be able to pull them off at all as your opponent will be moving too fast (even if you are watching his elbows and knees;) ).

punchdrunk
02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey Ali, thanx for taking the time to share and explain things.

Ali. R
02-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Thanks, that was the best question that I had on this thread so far…

Ali Rahim.

punchdrunk
02-22-2009, 12:45 PM
If i don`t know something i ask about it, that`s what got me into wing chun in the first place. The openness and go try it for yourself attitude that leads to evolution and innovation. I bet you and your students have broken all kinds of new ground compared to many other schools that still don`t really spar or use modern training methods.
Actually that leads me to another question... have you kept your wing chun and your boxing very seperate or have you let them influence eachother at all.

Ali. R
02-23-2009, 08:04 AM
But with the ideal of mixing the arts and b@stardizing two great systems together (boxing and wing), or by distorting a basic or intermediate comprehension of these ideals…

I would be left alone searching for answers from both systems that doesn’t complement each other… But only exploring my own interpretations within a massive deviation for self gratification…

Different base or stance…
Different principle and concepts...
Different structure biomechanics, ect…

I’m not in tune with b@stardizing any art form, for that’s well above my pay grade…

Ali Rahim.

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2009, 08:13 AM
But with the ideal of mixing the arts and b@stardizing two great systems together (boxing and wing), or by distorting a basic or intermediate comprehension of these ideals…

I would be left alone searching for answers from both systems the doesn’t complement each other… But only exploring my own interpretations within a massive deviation for self gratification…

Different base or stance…
Different principle and concepts...
Different structure biomechanics, ect…

I’m not in tune with b@stardizing any art form, for that’s well above my pay grade…

Ali Rahim.
I tend to agree with Ali in this regard ( WC and Boxing), while some concepts may work together, as a whole they would a counter-productive.
Not saying they can't borrow stuff from each other, just that, at their core hey are too different.

Vajramusti
02-23-2009, 09:02 AM
1.Boxing and wing chun are different enough at their core.

2. The kid in the video is meaninglessly fast: open when their hands come back.
Hopefully their trainer will teach them how not to be as open.

joy chaudhuri

t_niehoff
02-23-2009, 09:37 AM
1.Boxing and wing chun are different enough at their core.

The "core" of any martial art is in its "tools". The tools of WCK are not the tools of boxing.

2. The kid in the video is meaninglessly fast: open when their hands come back.
Hopefully their trainer will teach them how not to be as open.

joy chaudhuri

He's not "meaningleslly fast". His speed (and/orpower) is the result of his body mechanics -- and those mechanics are meaningful. And that's why I posted all those clips -- including Tyson's -- to illustrate good boxing body mechanics (as opposed to some of the other stuff).

As far as the your and the other comments about hands being "open" or being held low-- the 5 and 7 year-old are 5 and 7 years old. The 11 year-old has IMO excellent form/technique. You can find plenty of pros that hold their hands below the chin when hitting the mitts (very easy to find on youtube).

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2009, 09:41 AM
His hands aren't low, his chin is too high.

t_niehoff
02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
His hands aren't low, his chin is too high.

I know you're being facetious, but he (the 11 year-old) has good technique including keeping his chin tucked.

Let me share a personal anecdote: when I was a kid, I played tennis (and went on to play on my college team). When my parents took me (around 11 or 12) to my first pro/coach, he focused on nothing but getting me to hit the ball as hard as I could, as fast as I could, with everything I had. He wanted every shot to be like a rocket blast. He didn't care if the ball went out, into the net, whatever -- just kept focusing on hitting the ball as hard as I could. My parents watched this go on for a while and then approached him inquiring about his method. He told them that if you focused on things like ball control, various technical details, etc. that you will never develop power (which come from the body mechanics) because those things prevent you from moving freely (and you need to move freely to find your power). First, you develop the power, the mechanics, then you take those mechanics and begin fine-tuning them (building off the movement). And over the years, I saw he was right. The kids that first developed power eventually would learn the technical side whereas the kids that first learned the technical side never really had the power.

I think it works the same for any sport or athletic activity because that's how our body learns. These kids IMO are on the right path.

sanjuro_ronin
02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
I know you're being facetious, but he (the 11 year-old) has good technique including keeping his chin tucked.

Let me share a personal anecdote: when I was a kid, I played tennis (and went on to play on my college team). When my parents took me (around 11 or 12) to my first pro/coach, he focused on nothing but getting me to hit the ball as hard as I could, as fast as I could, with everything I had. He wanted every shot to be like a rocket blast. He didn't care if the ball went out, into the net, whatever -- just kept focusing on hitting the ball as hard as I could. My parents watched this go on for a while and then approached him inquiring about his method. He told them that if you focused on things like ball control, various technical details, etc. that you will never develop power (which come from the body mechanics) because those things prevent you from moving freely (and you need to move freely to find your power). First, you develop the power, the mechanics, then you take those mechanics and begin fine-tuning them (building off the movement). And over the years, I saw he was right. The kids that first developed power eventually would learn the technical side whereas the kids that first learned the technical side never really had the power.

I think it works the same for any sport or athletic activity because that's how our body learns. These kids IMO are on the right path.

Low hands?
A dude, you can look at champions doing their stuff, like you mentioned, or even in the ring and you will see low hands.
As for the kid, I have seen what MANY here have to offer and the, in terms of pad work and technique, is years a head of them, so...

punchdrunk
02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
I understand the mechanics and intent of Wing chun and boxing are very different, I just thought they might have influenced eachother a bit for you. Your keeping them very seperate and with your experience you must have some good reasons. Again thanx for taking the time to explain it is appreciated!

Vajramusti
02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I wish the kid well.

joy chaudhuri

Hardwork108
02-24-2009, 10:14 AM

I would be left alone searching for answers from both systems that doesn’t complement each other… But only exploring my own interpretations within a massive deviation for self gratification…

Great comments Ali.

Ali Rahim.

This post should be required reading for MMA-ists who mix a little bit of kung fu (which they have not understood) with up to a dozen other MA's that they probably have not fully understood either, while (some) even daring to label what they do as "improved", "functional", etc. kung fu.

Ali. R
02-26-2009, 05:10 AM
He’s something that I call a hella mix, name, style and women... I'm at work right now, gotta to go…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkVhOy0jGZ4

Ali Rahim.

LSWCTN1
02-26-2009, 06:23 AM

i always seem to disagree with you! its not intentional!

the way i am taught is different to this

my instructor will remove all the speed and power that you have initially, and get your positioning and placement right. once this is correct he will then add the power and speed back in.

i do understand your way, but respectfully disagree in regards to wck.

however, i'm sure you enjoy what you do - and i certainly enjoy what i do

all the best

David

sanjuro_ronin
02-26-2009, 06:48 AM
i always seem to disagree with you! its not intentional!

the way i am taught is different to this

my instructor will remove all the speed and power that you have initially, and get your positioning and placement right. once this is correct he will then add the power and speed back in.

i do understand your way, but respectfully disagree in regards to wck.

however, i'm sure you enjoy what you do - and i certainly enjoy what i do

all the best

David

Its a not a either / or situation.
Use BOTH methods.
Fact is, no matter how great and perfect your form is in any given physical movement done at a moderate pace, when it is done at a full speed pace VS resistence, it tends to fall apart simple because it has never been trained in that way.
Look at sprinters, they come to the track with great natural speed and then they perfect and work on their form, starting at a moderate pace, then working at stages and finally doing it a full speed, but they already come with great speed to the track, if they don't, that becomes the first priority in training.
Again, its not a case of either / or but of using both.

Ali. R
02-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Fact is, no matter how great and perfect your form is in any given physical movement done at a moderate pace, when it is done at a full speed pace VS resistence, it tends to fall apart simple because it has never been trained in that way.

Because of that fact, that’s why one has to spar dealing with the ideal of muscle memory or physical movements when fighting; hitting the pads there is no reason why your hands should drop because one is in training or in the class room, and it will be the teacher's fault if one continue to make that same mistake over and over again when in training, eventually the fighter will carry that right into the ring…

One should always train with good form (I know you didn’t say anything different); it will be the trainer’s fault if the fighter drops his/her hands when they fight or train… Usually that is an indication that the fighter is out of shape or tired (trainer’s fault), because no one wants to get in the ring and start off fighting with their hands down…

And if a fighter drops his/her hands because of the pressure, speed, pace and resistance then the fighter is incompetent (him/her has to go back to work)… A good fighter shouldn’t drop his or her hands until the later rounds and it shouldn’t be intentionally done, unless one has a whole lot of natural talent…

Dropping ones hands because one is moving fast and dealing with pace and resistance is an amateur mistake; both on the trainer and fighters part…

Take care,

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
02-28-2009, 07:50 AM
This is why one should stay really relaxed while in training or in the ring, so one wouldn’t wind up on the punches for power, and then start dropping their hands from doing so…;)

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
06-23-2009, 08:34 AM
I know most here feels that all of the kids that I train suck, but for some this is news…

I have good news for one of my middleweight boxers; he will be fighting for the “Louisville Intercity Middleweight Championship” this summer and it may be real soon…

He has no one looking at him yet, so we don’t have any restriction on his fight footage and he has not been beaten in any of his sparing matches, and this will be a real challenge for him because he has never box in his life until he met me (one year ago)…

Usually for all of my young fighters they give away a lot far as experience and as well age, but they seem too win…

I have no doubt that this 17 year old will win this championship (his first fight)…

He’s smooth as silk under pressure and can counterpunch too, and I’m blessed to have kids that can win championships their first time out…

I’ll be making clips of him preparing for the fight as well as interviews with him and his family, all from Cuba…

Jose “ The Cuban Tropical Storm” Velcarcel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0_C4257Klg

Ali Rahim.

Mr Punch
06-23-2009, 08:50 AM
The footage on that Mavis Staples link is still shocking. And only one generation ago...

Apart from that, good luck to your fighter.

Ali. R
06-23-2009, 09:31 AM
It’s indeed shocking, but sadly many different nationalities still face major problems here in the U.S. because of their skin and who they are…

And yes, one generation ago just as my grandparents used to say, “ Lest we forget”…

That pain is what shaped me and many others like myself…

And thanks for hoping good thing for my fighters…

Ali Rahim.

Ali. R
06-25-2009, 12:27 PM
This kid tries coming to my house almost everyday… He wants to live like me, drive like me, and most of all fight like me (I’m his biggest fan)…

His father drops him off every time with a big smile on his face… I don’t live in the city; I stay about 45min outside of Louisville in a horse farm community, and just behind my house are hills, cliffs, creeks, deer and big cats…

He’s training hard, real hard, but he has an incentive too win that championship and that’s because I have promised to let him drive one of my cars and a one thousand dollar bonus –or- gift used strictly for his education…

And if you listen closely, that heavy sound of wind that comes across the camera’s microphone is I, as my heart just flutters from just thinking about letting him drive it to his senior prom…

So what it’s a $75.000 car, it’s just a car… Well, this kid means a lot to me away…

He don’t show off and he don’t talk much and that’s just the way I like them…

Well, if you guys don’t run me off from this thread you just might see a real good fight, no ‘Wildman Crap’ like some have post here on this forum, junk all of that crap because this is the real deal…

I’ll never show his power on clip, because I have a hard enough time finding sparing partners @ $25 a round…

Everyone that spars him one time (4 rounds) never agree to do it again, only one person and that’s our very own forum member ‘Chris Gray’ or “Graychaun”….

For middleweights on this forum, if you ever want a vacation (or just have something to prove) room paid for and everything just call me. I’ll only ask for 3 sparing matches with this kid (4 rounds each)…

This kid and his family want the big time, ‘HBO’ and everything; hey what can I say this kid is super bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVKhJUAXu-8

Enjoy or not but stay happy,

Ali Rahim.

Pacman
06-26-2009, 08:05 PM
On the inside ("close quarters"), you won't be able to pull them off at all as your opponent will be moving too fast (even if you are watching his elbows and knees;) ).

if you block and then strike, you will always be one step behind. your opponent will be controlling the situation.

you either keep blocking and running away until he stops attacking or you say "F" it and throw some punches of your own and it becomes a mini-brawl until someone gets caught or you both back away.

the alternative is to block while striking. he either has to block himself, move out of the way or at the very least it puts pressure on him to disrupt his attack.

THIS HOLDS TRUE EVER MORE IN A CLOSE RANGE VS LONG RANGE.

like you said, when your in close range your opponents moves will be too fast...if you keep blocking each attack it will only be a matter of time before you get hit.

stonecrusher69
06-27-2009, 01:21 PM

That makes sence..What good is it to be able to hit someone and not be able to do damage..

Ali. R
06-28-2009, 09:16 AM
like you said, when your in close range your opponents moves will be too fast...if you keep blocking each attack it will only be a matter of time before you get hit.

This is true, but in training you would want your fighter to fully understand the significant value of defensive maneuvers from many different points of views
(About eight rounds a week of just defensive maneuvers.)…

If a fighter has very weak defense he would get hit a lot, more then one who does…

Boxing in general is based on how you can stop someone from hitting you while being able to land your own punches in the process…

Let’s face it; the more you get hit the sooner the fight will be over…

Anyone can throw a good punch, but can you really stop one or move out the way when it counts, because you’re not the only one throwing punches when in a fight...

Ali Rahim.

m1k3
07-11-2009, 05:33 PM
This is true, but in training you would want your fighter to fully understand the significant value of defensive maneuvers from many different points of views
(About eight rounds a week of just defensive maneuvers.)…

If a fighter has very weak defense he would get hit a lot, more then one who does…

Boxing in general is based on how you can stop someone from hitting you while being able to land your own punches in the process…

Let’s face it; the more you get hit the sooner the fight will be over…

Anyone can throw a good punch, but can you really stop one or move out the way when it counts, because you’re not the only one throwing punches when in a fight...

Ali Rahim.

Ali, I agree with you on the need for defense but I disagree with your "anyone can throw a good punch" comment. I think that pretty much anyone can throw a punch but there are not that many who can throw a good punch. It takes a long time and a lot of work to be able to punch well.

AdrianK
07-11-2009, 06:08 PM
I think that pretty much anyone can throw a punch but there are not that many who can throw a good punch.

Thats completely contridictory :D
I think though, that you mean pretty much anyone can be trained to throw a good punch, but the amount of people who actually can in general, is few?

m1k3
07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Thats completely contridictory :D
I think though, that you mean pretty much anyone can be trained to throw a good punch, but the amount of people who actually can in general, is few?

In general almost no one can throw a good punch. Of those who have trained the percentage goes up but there is still a large number who do not punch well. There are plenty of MAs who have trained for a long time and do not punch well at all. Bad structure, arm punching, dropping the hand after throwing a punch, punches with no snap the inability to throw a combination.

Graychuan
11-30-2009, 11:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQzRp4Z4Eqg

Fa Xing
11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
When we Trap-spar, it's MMA gloves, headgear, and elbow pads. It's actually pretty fun, and I have always wanted something like that for Taiji as well.

Knifefighter
11-30-2009, 03:50 PM

That wasn't sparring. That was non-contact chi sao with gear on.

Wayfaring
11-30-2009, 05:23 PM

With drills that are in place, no foot movement, no full contact to any part of the opponent, what exactly is the protective gear for?

AdrianK
11-30-2009, 09:26 PM
With drills that are in place, no foot movement, no full contact to any part of the opponent, what exactly is the protective gear for?

Cause it looks totally rad.
And if just one of those vertical punches connected and the person was unshielded, it'd blow their head clean off.

Serious. I seen it.

(And dude, selling gear is big business, it can make you like, a thousand dollars)

Wu Wei Wu
12-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Hand chasing while dressed as baseball samurai.

Fly swatting with stick.

Suki

Yoshiyahu
12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Hand chasing while dressed as baseball samurai.

Fly swatting with stick.

Suki

What does Hand chasing mean?

Wu Wei Wu
12-01-2009, 03:45 PM
chase, v., chased, chas·ing, chas·es.

v.tr.

1. To follow rapidly in order to catch or overtake; pursue: chased the thief.

v.intr.

1. To go or follow in pursuit.
2. Informal. To go hurriedly; rush: chased all over looking for us.

I'm assuming you know what a hand is.

Outfits aside, the implication is that they are not attempting to hit the person, but more rather, do a (co=operative) drill which teaches a person to remain committed to following the limbs of the opponent.

Suki

bennyvt
12-02-2009, 11:47 PM
did anyone watch the danny green vs roy jones jnr. Smashed him. Only the third guy to do it. Still a great champion but 'go the aussie'

Vajramusti
12-03-2009, 02:36 PM
did anyone watch the danny green vs roy jones jnr. Smashed him. Only the third guy to do it. Still a great champion but 'go the aussie'
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boxing is a young man's game for the most part. In his prime with excellent reflexes Jones could afford to have his left hand low..now it takes him a little longer to get it up there. Green caught him with a right on his left temple.. and it was the beginning of the tko sequence. Jones is basically done and
should retire.

joy chaudhuri

Ali. R
12-15-2009, 05:46 AM
When we train in our first level of sparring we don’t deviate from structure, If one of those punches get through without some gear on, someone could get hurt…

I don’t teach or condone my student to be wild men or women; they must keep a clear head and have a strong understanding of structure before hitting each other, if you’re full of deviation, then I will ask you to go home; because one has no business being there if doing so, if they want a quick fix they should join another school. There are no slops in my sparring classes…

There are four levels of sparring in our system and what you’re looking at is part one… And yes they do hit each other when they can and if they can. I've had guys go home with fat lips and some small bloody injuries…

If I don’t have them put on some protective gear, then I wouldn’t be insured; therefore the classes would have to stop… I don’t sell any pads of any kind just sportswear; all of my student order their stuff online…

Some of my students have good timing and wouldn’t get hit as often then those who don’t, as seen here and as well as the first one (clip)… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0viH25ZWWc
We all have to start somewhere…

I don’t like explaining my knowledge of sparring to none student, because if they hadn’t trained with me for at least a year or two they would simply not get it, unless they’re experience with up close fighting… I would never make such a clip (sparring), this one just got away from me and I didn’t catch it…

I’m not defending it, just explaining it; something I think and feel the poster of the clip should have done…

Ali Rahim.

Graychuan
12-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Point taken, Sifu...

Steeeve
12-18-2009, 07:53 PM
wing chun have no bobbing ,weaving ,and no faking ...thats could give a plus for boxing
whats about the method of training....:confused:whats could replace the heavy bag and the speed ball...the wooden dummy:confused:does the shadow boxing is the same of the forms:confused:how we could comparated a ring sport to a martial art:confused: