KFF

KPM
12-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Hi guys!

Here is a clip of hei ban wing chun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaTYPVtrxhs

A very interesting branch of mainland wing chun

KFF

Interesting! Thanks for the clip! Reminds me of what little I have seen of Pan Nam's WCK.

T.D.O
12-26-2007, 09:38 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AwaC7gJJLF4 pan nam siu nim tao

found this..... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JiBMTLGfC3E&feature=related

never heard of this style

LoneTiger108
12-27-2007, 04:28 AM
Quite similar to something I've seen in London, although I'm sure the Sifu has passed away now. Very 'Iron Wire' linked, possibly Mantis influenced?

Obviously, The Red Boat era was very important in the development of Wing Chun...

Wu Wei Wu
12-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Taken from wingchunpedia.org

Hei Ban System

Wing Chun Kuen Curriculum:

* Siu Lien Tao (Romanized Siu Nim/Lim Tao) (Little Idea)
* Chum Kiu (Sinking Bridge)
* Biu Jee (Darting fingers)
* Muk Yan Jong (Wooden Man Post)
* Mui Fah Wu Dip Dao (Plum Flower Butterfly Swords)
* Mahng Loong Goh Gong (“Fierce Dragon Crosses the River” Pole)

Other Kung Fu Forms Curriculum:

* Chut Lun (Seven Wheels)
* Cheung Lung Tan Yue (Long Dragon Explores the Moon)
* Bak Hok Tan Sui (White Crane Explores water)

Hei Ban Wing Chun Kuen (Xi Ban Yongchunquan) translates as ‘Opera Wing Chun Kuen.’ It is the name of the Wing Chun Kuen system that Leung Kwok-Keung (Liang Guo-Qiang), brought to the United Kingdom in 1993, from the Guangdong Province Opera troupe. Leung was born in 1926 and became a member on board the travelling opera boats at an early age. According to Leung, Hei Ban Wing Chun was a splinter branch, mostly practised by people within the travelling Opera boats.

Leung Kwok-Keung Sifu, traveled and worked with the opera house until 1983, following which he retired. He continued to teach people in a training hall at Cao Chang Road in Chao Ching City, west of Canton, often teaching young street urchins and vagabonds for free.

Leung Sifu moved to London, England to be close to his family. Although aged 69 he continued teaching Hei Ban Wing Chun privately in London for the remainder of his life. He taught a small but dedicated group of Wing Chun people, many of whom had studied under other Wing Chun teachers before coming across Leung Sifu’s system.

The forms in Hei Ban Wing Chun Kuen are lengthy, with 10 sections per form. Like Fook Yeung’s system, this system also contains some elements from Chow Gar (mantis) and makes heavy use of the Phoenix eye striking method. Siu Lien Tau form contains a stepping and kicking section, which underlies the importance of footwork in this branch of Wing Chun. Whilst additional sets were tacked on to Leung Sifu’s Wing Chun system curriculum, to provide longer range options for attack, it was acknowledged by Lwung that the main forms were those that are commonly accepted Wing Chun forms.

Leung Sifu passed away in December 2004, aged 78 and efforts are being made by his student’s such as Suki Gosal to preserve the teaching of this unique branch of Wing Chun

LoneTiger108
01-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Leung Sifu passed away in December 2004, aged 78 and efforts are being made by his student’s such as Suki Gosal to preserve the teaching of this unique branch of Wing Chun

Thanks for the info, as I hadn't seen it on the archive.

Is Suki Leung Sifus only active representative? I once met Sifu Leung at an event we held for Lee Shing (they knew eachother I believe) and saw an amazing student called 'Bruce' perform a long form.

Is there nobody in London who is still promoting? Very rare stuff indeed...

Wu Wei Wu
01-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi Spencer,

Unfortunately not many people had the patience to stay with Sifu to complete the system.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leung, Kwok-Keung knew Lee Shing.

Both Bruce and I relocated so there are no reps of Hei Ban Wing Chun in London (as far as i know). I moved to Canada.

Suki

couch
01-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Spencer,

Unfortunately not many people had the patience to stay with Sifu to complete the system.

Both Bruce and I relocated so there are no reps of Hei Ban Wing Chun in London (as far as i know). I moved to Canada.

Suki

You in BC? I'm in NS.

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

Wu Wei Wu
01-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah I am bro.

NS sounds far.

any plans to visit these sides?

LoneTiger108
01-11-2008, 09:40 AM

Wow! What is it with Canada?? :rolleyes:

I'm currently researching Lee Shings 'connections' to a relatively small Canton Opera Troupe that existed in London in the early sixties, so my guess is that is probably how they got to know eachother. The few people who founded this group are still around today.

Did you know that Lee Shings family are in Canada too?

Wu Wei Wu
01-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi Spencer,

I didn't know that about Lee Shing's family. Assuming they are in BC, I don't think I have come across any Wing Chun schools linked to him. Let me know if your research ever brings you out to these parts.

Canada has some benefits; no chavs.

p.s. I think I trained with Barry Lewis briefly in the early 90's. He was teaching Wing Chun in Hounslow if I remember correctly. Was he ever connected with Wai Po?

LoneTiger108
01-12-2008, 08:48 AM
p.s. I think I trained with Barry Lewis briefly in the early 90's. He was teaching Wing Chun in Hounslow if I remember correctly. Was he ever connected with Wai Po?

Hey Wu Wei Wu! I think you may have caught Barry prior to him training at Jun Mo. Yes, he was at that time with Sifu Wai Po Tang. Actually I've never met someone so well rounded as he is. Not to give him a big head or anything lol! But he's one decent fella and a great brother to have and work with.

I know that one day my research will take me to Canada, so keep in touch!

LoneTiger108
01-12-2008, 08:56 AM
For an excellent reference to Chinese Cultural Music and one of the most respected musicians in the UK, I'd recommend you read this article on Ray Man:

http://www.camdenguide.co.uk/news/ray.htm

Out of interest, it was Ray Man who introduced his younger brother Joseph to Lee Shing in 1965.