PDA

View Full Version : nei gong

solPaul
03-27-2001, 03:59 PM
What is nei gong, and how does it differ from qi gong?

We're all Students of Life

Kung Lek
03-27-2001, 09:34 PM
chi kung is breath work, nei kung is internal energy work.

nei gong is closely related to iron body training and is augmentation exercise(s) for the advanced kung fu practitioner.
some physical difficulty in the exercises.

peace

Kung Lek

solPaul
03-28-2001, 03:30 PM
Thanks For the reply. But i thought qi gong was also supposed to stimulate internal energy. are they different levels?

I have some experience with nei gong (I think). It involved slow rotations holding 2-3 lb herb/bean bags in each hand while going through increasingly lower postures at very slow pace, while trying to maintain even breathing. We also used dit da jow before and after. Unfortunately, the place i was practicing was not "authentic" and i finally gave up my practice there.

Does this practice sound like "authentic" nei gong? I know that many of the other styles I was taught at this school were bogus, but I don't have any way to verify their nei gong practice...

We're all Students of Life

Kung Lek
03-28-2001, 06:26 PM
Hi Solpaul.

Nei Gong, like Chi kung has a very large variety of exercises to be used to different ends.

I am not familiar with the exercise you have described, but that doesn't mean anything, what I don't know could fill a warehouse :)

it could be said that chi kung maintains the energy of the body and strengthens the flow of chi throughout the body while Nei Gong practice fortifies the physical body to a higher level and creates defensive chi as well as many other side effects.

Nei Gong can at times be exactly the same as some Chi kung exercises and in many regimens of Nei Gong have chi Kung inclusive within them to enhance what is happening with the other exercises involved. It is, to say the least a fine line that seperates the two.

Chi Kung exercises are generally exclusive to the use of just the self whereas Nei gong can have exercises where external tools are used such as you have mentioned (the weighted bean bags).

Nei Gongs focus is creation and fortification of Chi and body.
Chi Kung is maintenance and rehabilitation of Chi and body.

very fine line.

peace

Kung Lek