PDA

View Full Version : Blocks...hard or circular?

naja
12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Which do you think is more effective for straight out blocking and which do you think is more effective for blocking + a follow up attack?

Seppukku
12-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Why are you blocking? Why aren't you killing?

David Jamieson
12-30-2007, 09:02 AM
I tend to use only a few simple techniques to keep from eating it.

the pat - similar to a pak sao but just patting at the incoming strike.

the seam feed - you place your upright forearm in fron of the incoming

the chop - usually oblique or downward a cutting strike more than a block and to the incoming arm.

the destruction - a shrimp/tuck and head cover that lets you eat pretty much any hook, roundhouse, flalil hit, haymaker etc.

for legs, golden rooster on one leg with a little pusg away.

basically, the idea is to create a defensive structure that allows you to minimize incoming while advancing your own attack. all these techniques require timing and practice, practice, practice against an opponent who actually is working at striking you.

no arm hanging, no continuous slow mo stuff.

learn the technique, grasp the structure, practice full on. It's the way. :-)

mickey
12-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Greetings,

Don't forget bobbing and weaving.

DJ: "with a little pusg away" ???!!!???

You had me looking at my keyboard and saying, "was he trying to strike the "h" key or the "y" key?"

mickey

David Jamieson
12-30-2007, 12:45 PM
yeah "push"away.

leg up, then turn it out at the hip. the turning out at the hip is the push away. it's from taichi and sil lum, but guys will recognize it as part of muay thai or silat and others.

mickey
12-30-2007, 03:01 PM
:) :) :) :)

Vilmore
12-30-2007, 07:37 PM
the destruction - a shrimp/tuck and head cover that lets you eat pretty much any hook, roundhouse, flalil hit, haymaker etc.

.../...

no arm hanging, no continuous slow mo stuff.

could you descibe the destruction a little different/more please? I probably know what you're talking about but not quite sure from that description. Thanks.

And I agree with the second one, but I brother wont try to hit me if I ask him :P
and also all those hanging arms on youtube and stuff, Its ok when showing or explaining something but not when you're trying to show that your technique is effective like that dupisha guy. (and others)

RD'S Alias - 1A
12-30-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't block, I hit....'Cause I am that good! :D

Becca
12-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Depends on what I'm blocking, my situational awareness, and how/if I want to follow it up. My default is to trap most strikes wether they be kicks or something else. Makes it much easier to close in if you have control of one of thier limbs.

jdhowland
01-06-2008, 11:27 AM
There shouldn't be any "straight out blocking." If you're on the defensive you're in trouble. Gung fu is not designed for non-violent defense. If it looks like a hard block it's not a block; it's a strike to incapacitate a limb or to change your opponent's position. Both hard strikes and soft deflections usually require follow-up strikes or throws.

IronFist
01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
The only blocking I do anymore is Crazy Monkey style as taught by the MMA gym, Straight Blast Gym (similar to Mike Tyson's "peek-a-boo" boxing style).

...unless I forget and do some Wing Chun.

Altho I have had good luck with pak da for when strikes catch me off guard (like when you're just standing there at a party and one of your friends comes out of nowhere and throws a punch at you). Actually I've noticed that about Wing Chun blocks... they seem to work really well when you're just standing there and have to react instantly. But when I'm consciously in a fight, it's Crazy Monkey all the way. I don't have time or space to be doing Wing Chun stuff in a fight. And Crazy Monkey is forgiving as hell, if you mess up you're not left with an arm hanging out in the air, you're still shelled up and protected.

This post makes me miss training at SBGi :(

Oso
01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
attack through the attack while evading in an angular manner is best to not get knockeddyfuggedout while knockeddyfuggingout.

sung to 'You are the Wind Behind my Brain' by Bette 'Mantis' Midler

:D