PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Teachers: Role Models, Mentors, Friends or Just Instructors

djcaldwell
12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Eric's post on the other thread led me to revisit something that I wrote last month on the other forum:

There are many titles for what we call our Instructors in the martial arts community. Sensei, Sabunim and of course Sifu. Each of these has a traditional meaning associated with the role they played but in today’s world of social decline and dispersion of etiquette what does it mean to be any one of the above. For purposes of this article as I am a Chinese Martial Artist I will use the term Sifu as it is what is familiar to me.

Let’s take a trip back in time to the 80’s when I began my training. I recall walking into my school and meeting the man they told me to call Sifu. I was sitting in his office this heavyset guy and he asked me what I wanted to do, what I expected to get out of the training. Of course I went with the obvious safe answer of “I want to learn how to defend myself and lose some weight while I’m at it.” He spoke about the training and what we did there. I have to admit it was intimidating when I heard about 2 ½ hour classes 3/4 times a week and watching all the things the guys in there were doing that I thought I would never be able to do. But he helped me set some goals, change my habits and offered me some direction. He also set some “rules” for his students. No smoking. No Fighting (unless necessary) and No drinking (I was underage the older students this was not a rule for). If he found out (and he always did) that we were starting fights or basically representing ourselves poorly he would not train us.

We all respected him and wanted to learn so everyone for as best as I can remember followed the rules. He also had another rule which eventually I had to break. He told us that outside of the school we were not to call him Sifu. Inside the school he was always to be addressed as such but if we saw him at the mall he wanted us to call him by his name. Over the years I had developed such a respect for him that it would have been like calling my parents by their first name. I trained with him for 6 or 7 years before I moved away but to this day recall how much he helped me. He offered us guidance and gave us direction when we needed it. He provided counsel for to me and many others in our school on a very personal level. In my 20’s he offered counsel to me and my family when going through a rough time. To this day it saddens me that I lost touch with him and still wish that I could locate him. After him I trained with two other Sifu’s one who came close to being the friend that Sifu #1 was he taught me a great deal and opened up some interesting aspects of the Martial Arts for me. Unfortunately he moved away and although we kept in touch for many years eventually we lost touch as he moved out of the country.

Then there was Sifu #3 someone who has a great knowledge of Martial Arts and also taught me a great deal about martial arts and introduced some new ways of thinking. He was no where near nor was he interested in being mentor material to any of his students. At the stage that I began studying with him I was not seeking a mentor but a teacher and perhaps the closeness in age made the relationship different. After several years training in what was a new setting to me (more commercial) I learned a great deal about him which disappointed me a great deal. He had a great front on for the outside paying customer world to see, another for those he would call friends (like me) which he used to get things he needed and when he had no use for them any longer he simply walks away. Fortunately, I learned a lot of great things from him – unfortunately, I also learned some harsh realities that not everyone “Instructor” is a “teacher”.
To me the word Sifu or Teacher, whether you ask for it or not comes with some inherent responsibilities. You are a role model for your students (especially younger ones). You set an example and paint a picture of what they want to be. As their Sifu you are in a position of authority, influence and have the ability to alter your students lives for better or worse. For the first 15 years of my training this is what I was taught. My teachers lead by example and it’s not a matter of them being the “perfect” role model as they certainly were not perfect. But they understood they had a responsibility and lived up to it and didn’t hide behind the “I’m just an instructor.” Statement. They were “teachers” they had discussions with their students, taught them right from wrong, showed them respect and did not take advantage of their trust and respect.

In today’s Martial Arts world of commercial schools and MMA mentality (nothing against MMA I love it), it seems that real “teachers” are a dying breed. Students don’t respect their teachers anymore, in part because their teachers don’t respect them and also because there are no consequences for poor behavior. As long as tuition is paid they can learn. The quality of instruction is often sacrificed so that there can be more students. Basic instruction is let go and requirements for advancement are dropped in lieu of good attendance.

I know it is possible to offer quality instruction and still make a good living. I know several people who have and as such as become well respected businessmen and “mentors” in their communities. They are real Sifu’s, real teachers and never lost sight of their responsibilities as such. This is something which in my small opinion has been lost in a vast majority of today’s schools. The ones that do adhere to this are mocked and/or told that they are living in the martial arts dream or stuck in a movie storyline in which the teachers actually mentor and feel responsible for their students.

It’s not a question of tradition or what’s right or wrong. Not every teacher in history has been a shining example of moral integrity. Some of the best have not been – the question is one of personal reflection and how one wants to be viewed. Does one want to be remembered fondly as a great martial artist, teacher and/or mentor or a great martial artist that no one really cares to remember.

ngokfei
12-30-2007, 04:17 PM
yes a mighty problematic dilema.

Sifu means many things. Teacher, Coach, Trainer and if you use the alternate character Father.

the "Father" character is almost never used today in the public schools as its kind of foolish to believe that the Sifu takes responsiblity for all 100+ students actions.

Its also strange that in china they are using the term Lao Shir "old Teacher" for someone who is 20 years old. Again a mis-use of the term and doesn't play well, especially here in the west.

From spending alot of time at the school there does develope a relationship with the Sifu. Some have stronger ties then other students do to the teachers preference.

The only warning I give to fellow practitioners is not to get sooo involved in your Sifu's personal business. It will come to bite you in the future in soooo many ways.

lkfmdc
12-30-2007, 04:39 PM
For every bad teacher, there are 100 bad students

Everyone wants to "baai si", how many understand what that really means? Confucianism is NOT a "two way street". You agree to take complete care of your teacher, take all his crap, never question him, etc. He MIGHT then share the "secrets with you", it MIGHT mean something, or it could just mean he has a man servant for life

Are you ready to pay your teacher's gambling debts? Move him out of his house when he has a fight with his wife? Move him back in what he wants to go home? Paint his house? Clean up after his puppy poops on teh floor? How about sleep all night on his front step so you can be sure he doesn't sneak out at night and will go to the hospitol in the morning for his scheduled surgery?

Been there, done that, ALL OF IT

In return, I've had students who tried to open their own schools down the block. I've had students that slept with other students and created drama in the school. I've had students who STOLE from me.

Honestly, why would I baai si anyone today? No one would understand what it meant, and NO ONE would follow the rules.

I have some students I am very close to. They are a select few. But I've had a heck of a lot more who I tried to help, opened even my house to (figuratively and LITERALLY) only to have them disappoint me or flat out betray me. That's the reality. So I dont' take it personally, I just don't expect much. That's the advantage of the often maligned "business relationship". You pay me for classes, I teach you. If you don't want to do classes anymore, fine. Nothing more, nothing less

cjurakpt
12-30-2007, 11:57 PM
There is an old saying, "when the student is ready, the teacher appears." In my case, it took 10 years of searching before this happened, and numerous individuals who I have considered my direct teachers (not including all the people I have had the opportunity to train / exchange with), 23 or so at last count: some of them it was for only a very short time, weeks to months, but because I have been significantly influenced by certain things that I picked up with them, I still feel that I "studied" with them. As far as my development as an individual in context of my training, there were 3 who I consider to be of most importance: my "foundation" teacher, my "journeyman" teacher and my "heart" teacher. My "foundation" teacher was Sabumnim Tom Festa - what I learned from him equipped me at the beginning of my journey, to be able to go out into the world and explore / benefit from a variety of different styles, and for the most part feel that I was able to at least hold my own in any "discussion" with other martial artists, be it verbal or otherwise...his effect on my development was so significant that for many years after I had stopped actively training with him, I still considered him a teacher; it was not until about 3 years ago that I finally "completed" my training with him, where I came to the point where I there was no longer a need to consider him as such.
My "journeyman" teacher was Chan Tai Shan. In brief, I learned three unique things from him. First, the ability to critically evaluate TCMA, regardless of style. Second, to be able to absorb a large amount of information in a very short period of time. Third, to be able to fight with a staff. My time with him came to an end when I realized I needed to move in directions that it was not my karma to move with him.Do I still consider him a teacher? Well, they say "Sifu for a day, father for a lifetime." To be honest, I spent several years actively trying to distance myself from his legacy - time which I needed to come into my own, I suppose. In fact, it wasn't until a few years ago that I stopped trying to push his teachings away and came to accept that they are and always will effect what I do.
My "heart" teacher, Master Sat Hon, I met 12 years ago. By analogy, if Sabumnim Festa dug the basement and built the foundation of the house, and if Sifu Chan built the walls, roof and furnished the place, then Sat lovingly wired every nook and crannie with TNT, and compassionately blew it up...I always thank Sat every time I see him now, because he gave me my life by taking everything that I ever had away. No joking. I also told him that I don't believe a single thing that he's ever told me, and that I don't care if he never shows me a single new thing ever again, but I will be his student for as long as I live. He "officiated" at my wedding. I am the only person he has ever asked or let treat his wife and daughters. I am the only student who has ever seriously surprised him with something on 3 different occasions. He is the only person who has ever truly seen and accepted me for who I truly am. The best is that he has always been very clear that he doesn't care if I walked out his door and never came back - and the truth of that rings out like a monastery bell struck in the early morning dawn...(on the flip side, there are people who can't stand to be in the same room as him; so don't think I am romanticizing anything here...).
Teacher / student - it's not a one way street: there are plenty of teachers that I have not only been distant with, some I have have had an almost adversarial relationship with; the key is to know oneself, to understand the nature of the relationship, and to stop projecting one's own biased perspective onto that relationship; I've seen plenty of people come in and publicly show total loyalty from day one, but in private spit venom at their teacher; I've seen all the stuff that Dave mentioned: betrayal, deception and thievery, sometimes where one would least expect it.
The thing to remember is that every time a teacher takes on a student, he takes on not only a responsibility, but a risk as well: true teaching can be hazardous to one's own health. It's like the story of the old Ch'an (Zen) master who grants an audience to a famous, yet brutish and coarse general. Without even exchanging pleasantries, the general challenged the master: "Where lie the paths to Heaven and to Hel!?" The master, without even looking up at the general, answered, "Why would I waste my time teaching an ignorant brute such as you?" Incensed, the general roared, "Why you old coot, how dare you insult me so?!", and drew his sword, brandishing it above his head, about ready to strike the master down. "There lies the path to Hel!" rejoined the master in a voice that rang out like a clearly struck bell, his eyes glaring at the general's like fire, his finger pointing like a sword through his heart. Momentarily stunned, the general paused for just an instant to consider the teacher's words. And at the very moment, in a voice that was soft as falling cherry blossom petals, the master continued, "And there lies the path to Heaven." Profoundly moved, the general sheathed his sword, humbly bowed down on the floor to the teacher in thanks, and without another word left.
Why was this true teaching? Because the teacher responded in the moment to what he directly saw as what the man standing utterly exposed in front of him needed - he did not see the rank, he did not see the danger, he only saw the truth, and he responded accordingly, without concern for convention, or even attachment to his own life! For had he misread the general, if the general had not had the capacity to reflect for that brief moment, the master would have been cut down in an instant. This is the essence of teaching and learning: both student and teacher are tested, each potentially taking the other's place at any moment - the difference is that it is the teacher's skill that ascertains when the fruit of that moment is ripe, and shakes the tree just so to cause it to fall...

ngokfei
12-31-2007, 08:55 AM
chris

nicely put

So which teacher was the looonngg winded one;)

eric

David Jamieson
12-31-2007, 09:05 AM
In my opinion, it's a two sided coin and dependent on where you are at and where the teacher is at in your/their life.

When you are very young, it is likely you need guidance in a wide variety of things that are unrelated to martial arts development tactically speaking. When you are older you are looking for a different set of tangibles and when you are older still you are looking more for physical assistance and remediation of the self as opposed to a philosophy teacher.

it's true that when you are ready to proceed, you will find the person who can help you with that.

My only advice is to be careful not to project your own emotions, wants and needs on that person because that could cause some drawbacks to your own understanding of things.

set goals, stick to them, learn the teachings by practicing them.

RFM
12-31-2007, 09:05 AM
I like this question and this thread.

Teachers/Instructors are role models, definitely mentors, and instructors. Friends? Comes with the territory where you, the instructor, are going to bond with a select few, unless, you are like I was, only a few students to start with.

My Sifu was also a good friend. When I studied with him, there were few of us and we were all on that first name basis. We respected him, but also the environment was a bit more casual - we were there to learn and train, and that we did.

When I began teaching, I continued that same tradition. I did not demand to be called Sifu, I was simply Bob. I had a set of rules that each student needed to follow, especially if they wanted to continue to learn from me. We became good friends (again, I had but a few students). This relationship paid off in many ways.

When I was deployed to Bosnia in '98, I was called back home on emergency leave when my infant son had to be admitted into ICU and was in a guarded condition. During my deployment, my family had moved. When I arrived at home - all my stuff was still stored away! I didn't have a car (my wife had it). My son/family were all at Lackland AFB (San Antonio, TX) and I lived on Ft Sam and needed to get to the hospital ASAP. As it would turn out, I didn't have one phone number for any of my co-workers, all I had was a roster of my students! I called the first one, told him what going on and he was at my door in 30 minutes and took me to see my family. The next day, as word got around to my students that I was home, another student came by my house - and perfect timing, as I was about to leave for the hospital again, I noticed I had a flat tire and so was the spare! My other student arrived as I had just made my second discovery, and he too drove me around to get things fixed.

My point is this. Instructors: do not be afraid to invest yourself personally into the lives of your student, but also, do just go running head first, use some sound judgement. Instructors should take time to lay out a code of ethics with their students, remember, they represent you. If a student's conduct is less than desireable, cut them lose. Students: if you question the ethics of your instructor, find another.

Boundries need to be respected, but let's not be afraid to get a little more personal. A true teacher is a role-model and mentor, and many times that can lead to sincere friendship.

Sorry for my ramble.

Bob

SPJ
12-31-2007, 09:15 AM
just called him a teacher or mister or xian sheng.

so and so teacher or mister.

:)

djcaldwell
12-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Chris that was an awesome and insightful post - thanks for sharing.

ngokfei
12-31-2007, 09:22 AM
RFM

That is a great story of the positive benefits of having a personal relationship with your students. You taught them well.

But with every positive story there are Negative ones to go in the other direction.

Ie: , personality changes, business problems, Money (lending it, salaries, etc.) will all affect/effect the student teacher relationship in the other direction.

Situation #1. Very similar to yours a family atmosphere of the Sifu/Teacher Father. Student who is a disicple supports the teacher, bails them out of trouble, etc. then believes their own hype. Becomes Money hungry and drives out all his disicples except for the few that buy into his new personality as well as pay him alot of $$$$.

Situation #2. Student finds that his teacher is doing poorly in the business end. Lends the teacher money that never gets paid back. This sours the relationship with the student confronting the sifu who twists the event now saying the student has stolen money from the school. Before it was a great relationship but now its blown to hell.

Situation 3: Student is hired to teach at the school. The Sifu runs it like a well tuned business but has to sacrifice the Sifu Teacher/Father concept. Its all about the money now and the student who has been with their teache for a long time is disenchanted with the new direction his teacher is going and quits the school.

I wish more situations were like RFM's.

RFM
01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I should add, that I taught for free.

My students were loyal because I gave freely to them what I knew. My intent was to develop my teaching skills - and I love to teach. I put out flyers trying to generate some business, but in the end, I went the way of free lessons to develop a base, possibly some future assistant instructors, and little by little get my name and style out there.

However, I moved away. So much for that legacy though I hope I did have a more positive influence on that merry band of Fu'ers.

Peace,
Bob

Becca
01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
To add to ngokfei's list:

#4 - The student no longer feels they are getting what they need. This could be for any number of reasons.

#5 - the teacher wants the student to follow a path that the student doesn't feel is right for him/her

and my favorite, #6 - the teacher is of the family type, helping students as much as possible and makes the student very uncomfortable.

sanjuro_ronin
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I am a coach to anyone that wants to learn how to fight.
I am a teacher to anyone who wants to be a Martial artist.
As it stands now, I coach a "few" and I teach none.
Probably will stay that way for a while.
Probably will only be a teacher to family.