PDA

View Full Version : Just had to share...

-N-
12-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Been trying hard not to post the link, but I can't help it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4IYi-EwNE

EarthDragon
12-31-2007, 03:08 PM
ahhh yes the elusive monkey mantis breakdance form.

The reason you might not recognize this particular form is becuse it is only taught to the most well respected and highest ranked students from the ever feared crackerjack box prize winners from the carmel mountain monestary.

mantid1
12-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks for posting that N. I think I will be able to pick it up off of youtube and add it to my curriculum.

I found another one from the same style. I REALLY like the music they put with the second form on this clip. I am going to redo all of my vid like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnpaW5hXWDg&feature=related

I think all styles should set their forms to this bands music. This vid set the bar very high for the rest of us.

yu shan
12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Happy New Year!

OMG! This is totally ridiculous, I was ill for the guy. But then there was an actual ovation. I dont want to bash SD, I know a really nice guy who trains it. But jeez louise...

Jim

mantis108
12-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Com'on guys, I have a hard time keeping my lunch down. :(

I think the clip should be labelled gross indecency crapola. :eek::p

Mantis108

-N-
12-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Happy New Year guys :)

Yah, I didn't want to bash either. The clip speaks for itself. Maybe I shouldn't have posted the link.

Mantid1, you win. I admit defeat.

N.

Three Harmonies
12-31-2007, 03:41 PM
The next time someone asks why CMA are in the toilet swirling, look no further than this:(

Yao Sing
12-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Hey, don't you know it only looks different because that's the "combat" form of Mantis. :D:p:confused:

Actually, I used to type like that on the computer. Back when I trained the "combat" version of COBOL.

Oso
01-01-2008, 01:35 PM
christ's bleeding eyes....

EarthDragon
01-01-2008, 02:53 PM
mantid1,
I finally, for no actual reason other than bordem and entertainment watched that whole video of that guys set and low and behold they played Abba dancing queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WTF?

No wonder kung fu was kept secret to americans for so long look what we have done with it. its so funny i brought my girl to watch it.. Ha ha

naja
01-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Doesn't surprise me. SD has 4 mantis forms in their curriculum, from green sash to 3rd black. Not exactly a focal point, sad to say.

-N-
01-01-2008, 07:57 PM
christ's bleeding eyes....
I was careful not to watch the whole thing.

N.

naja
01-02-2008, 10:19 AM
:mad: well looks like the vid is set to private now. And I was wanting to show it around, get some laughs!!!

Oso
01-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I was careful not to watch the whole thing.

N.

luckily I have great regenerative powers and my eyes are back to normal now.:p

you know, sadly...it's just sad. It's not like they can't look around and see for themselves what's what and what isn't what.

however, I just made this point to naja in a PM

if they label whatever they do as 'Shaolin-Do__________' than we can't really argue or debate it. Sin The' is Shaolin-Do so whatever he says is Shaolin-Do do is that very thing.

It's just not a lot of other things.

Three Harmonies
01-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Unfortunately these cats exert a lot of control, and to a certain extent IMO, brainwashing in their schools. I have a handful of buddies back in NM that train with SD, and they were never allowed to come to any seminar I put on, or hosted. Not allowed to attend tournaments that were not sanctioned by the hairy monk of Shaolin...etc. etc. etc. So a lot of these people DON'T actually get to see what else is out there. I suppose with the net it has changed, but still....
I don't know, maybe people are genuinley pleased with what they get there. I don't know why they would keep going back otherwise. I don't understand it, but then again I don't understand how people can still have faith in the Catholic Church, but that is a rant for another time.
Jake :cool:

MasterKiller
01-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Been trying hard not to post the link, but I can't help it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS4IYi-EwNE

LOL, they took the video down.

Judge Pen
01-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately these cats exert a lot of control, and to a certain extent IMO, brainwashing in their schools. I have a handful of buddies back in NM that train with SD, and they were never allowed to come to any seminar I put on, or hosted. Not allowed to attend tournaments that were not sanctioned by the hairy monk of Shaolin...etc. etc. etc. So a lot of these people DON'T actually get to see what else is out there. I suppose with the net it has changed, but still....
I don't know, maybe people are genuinley pleased with what they get there. I don't know why they would keep going back otherwise. I don't understand it, but then again I don't understand how people can still have faith in the Catholic Church, but that is a rant for another time.
Jake :cool:

Jake, that is a western (Soard) thing. My teachers had no problem with me attending your seminar in Nashville. I enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. And I have competed in tournaments from time to time. The sad thing about SD is that it is so large that people can have wildly different experiences in the same system depending on the teacer. You can say that it goes back to Sin The (and it does to a degree) but Sin The allows each of his most senior students a huge amount of leeway in how they teach the material and conduct their students. It's not like he is some huge puppet master out there. If that is going on, its on the local level.

I didn't get to see the video in question, but I could guess that it was horrible. Don't know much of the SD mantis myself so its been hard for me to compare. The ABBA thing was posted by a guy making fun of SD (hence the music). It is of two cats that just learned that particular form and were taping themselves for reference (or so I've been told).

It won't be long till this thread is merged with the mega-SD thread in the shaolin forum....

Judge Pen
01-03-2008, 11:25 AM
however, I just made this point to naja in a PM

if they label whatever they do as 'Shaolin-Do__________' than we can't really argue or debate it. Sin The' is Shaolin-Do so whatever he says is Shaolin-Do do is that very thing.

It's just not a lot of other things.

You're right and we've talked about this before. But I stand by my belief that SD is kung fu that has evolved into something different, for a variety of reasons, then the arts it claims lineage to. I'm not arguing that its "the original combat version" because it isn't, but I will say that the teachers emphasize power at that has changed the flavor of the forms to varying degrees.

Its not that I'm a good example of what SD should be. Yu shan and Oso have seen me and I've crossed hands with Oso so they know what I'm about. I am what I am and SD is what SD is.

Oso
01-03-2008, 11:34 AM
yea, JP, it was bad...basically it might have been a mime trying to look like a mantis and a monkey...except for the bottom sweeps and the near ubiquitous jump spinning crescent that seems to be in a lot of SD forms no matter the 'style'.

fwiw, I think there are very few 'kung fu' styles out there that are still the 'original combat version' [shrug]

i will have to say that evolution is not necessarily a good thing...lot's of dead ends, literally...and SD is certainly not the only martial style that is possibly heading to one of those dead ends.

I think that any style that doesn't try to be valid in a sport environment is heading to an evolutionary dead end :eek::D:eek:

Judge Pen
01-03-2008, 01:55 PM
The thing about evolution is that it all plays out in the end. If the bad die out and the good survive then it is good. I think there will always be a market for TMA schools that teaches material that is more accessible even if its merely a stepping stone for one's interest in a more sporting style.

As far as the form, it sounds like the ubiquitous "Tang Lang Chien" (generic name I know). I've seen it but don't know much about the history or why it is considered a mantis form.

yu shan
01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I had the fortune to "judge" a few of Judge Pen`s fights at a tournament in NC. I guess we can say what we say about SD forms, but JP can throw down. The gold came up between JP and my guy Frank, very intense fight. Oso, you have the post fight pic of JP?

Judge Pen
01-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I had the fortune to "judge" a few of Judge Pen`s fights at a tournament in NC. I guess we can say what we say about SD forms, but JP can throw down. The gold came up between JP and my guy Frank, very intense fight. Oso, you have the post fight pic of JP?

Actually, I got third and your guy Frank got 1st. I beat Frank the first go match and he beat me the second and made it to the championship round. But I prefer your account better! :p

As far as forms, its a mixed bag of quality out there. I did two SD forms at that tournament and I think my Kwan Dao was well received.

Oso
01-03-2008, 03:39 PM
yea, the only good thing about that tournament was some decent fighting in the men's advanced category.... :)

but, anyway, back to topic

SD Mantis Suxors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p:D;):)

Qixing Tanglang
01-07-2008, 08:44 AM
More mantis BS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9xcly0coJw

N

EarthDragon
01-10-2008, 05:00 PM
was that guy wearing a japanese gi tied with a red obi and sporting a chinese patch on it pointing a mantis finger attack at me??????????????