PDA

View Full Version : Wierd computer problem, need help!

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-01-2008, 11:28 PM
So my computer locked up.

I looked at the C drive to find all 10 gigs totally full. I did a clean up, removed all the spyware, deleted cookies and all the temporary files etc and only got 500 MB of free space.

My computer has 2 Western Digital hard drives. A 10 gig I use only for Windows, and a 40 Gig for all the programs and data.

Since I have a new 250 GIG drive, I decided to get rid of my 10 Gig, use the old 40 GIG for Windows, and the New 250 Gig for programs and data.

I copied ALL my files from the 40 Gig to the 250 Gig drive before converting it from my data drive to my new windows drive. Then formated the 40 Gig.

Now, before I went and formatted the 40 GIG, I double checked the new 250 GIG to make sure all my important files were there (Like 10 years of Tai Tzu research for example). everything transfered over just fine. I even used the computer for a week or so with the 250 GIG as my primary data drive and ultra double checked everything was there...and it was.

So today, my computer locked up again....and again the 10 GIG was totally full. So I took it out and tossed it. Then I removed the 250 Gig from the system, and set my PC up so ONLY the DVD drive, and the 40 Gig were there. I booted from the DVD drive, stripped and formatted the 40 and installed windows XP corporate on it. I have one of those 11 in 1 Windows install disks like computer repair professionals have.

Now, keep in mind my 250 Gig drive was OUT of the PC, and on a table in the other room when I did all this.

After getting it all working, I reinstalled my 250 GIG drive and began to install all my programs. I allways install programs on my second drive so they don't store thier data on the C drive incase of a virus attack (They usually only hit the C drive)

When I was done, I was looking through the 250 Gig drive...and here is the weird thing...all my files EXCEPT "MY Documents" are on my 250 Gig Drive. It was there, with all my research and all that before I took it out, now it's gone.

But get this, even though I cannot find the file on the 250 Gig in windows explorer, if I search for it using the search function, I can find it...it's like it's been hidden or something.

Does anyone have a fix for that?

Why is it hiding that file, and ONLY that file?

SifuAbel
01-02-2008, 12:35 AM
"My Documents" is usually located in the documents and settings folder on C.

exp: C:\Documents and Settings\Rudy\My Documents

Since you reinstalled windows it may be in the old install's subfolder.

Run a search for My documents and see were the various copies are located.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 01:22 AM
I have redundant "My Documents" folders all over the place. Just in windows explorer, I have it on the C drive....that one is empty though, and theres like 6 on the 250 Gig, BUT they are all in other folders, like Backup\My Documents or Webstuff\My Documents, or Naked Chicks\My Documents. On the 250 Gig, there is no My Documents in the root directory...which is where the primary one is supposed to be.

The actuall folder I am looking for is the big one with everything in it. It should be E:\My Documents.

It shows up in a general search, but NOT when I go directly to the 250 Gig drive itself with windows explorer.

I have to ether type it in by hand (E:\My Documents), or go to the search function in the start menu and type it in there.

If I try to open a windows explorer window, and brows for it, it is simply gone. Same if I try to brows for it from a program like MS Word.

It's like it is there, but hidden somehow.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Just for reference;

A is the Floppy

C is Windows

D is the DVD drive

E is my 250 Gig where all my programs are installed, and also where I keep all my data.

My Documents should be on the C drive (it is, but allways empty as I never use that one). The primary one is supposed to be on E in the root directory.

SifuAbel
01-02-2008, 01:50 AM
So you have verified that the one in the general search is in fact he folder you are looking for with all the files?

Right click for properties to see its location and if it has been hidden.

Also go to tools,folder options, click view, files and folders, hidden files and folders, click show hidden files and folders.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Yup, did all the simple common sense stuff already.

It is the correct folder. All the research files are there, and even the last video clips of some rare Tai Tzu forms I down loaded form Sal's Youtube site last week, so it's fully up to date and everything.

According to "Properties", it IS at E:\My Documents...right where it belongs.

Yet I still can't see it any other way but through a search for it.

MasterKiller
01-02-2008, 09:33 AM
I have redundant "My Documents" folders all over the place. Just in windows explorer, I have it on the C drive....that one is empty though, and theres like 6 on the 250 Gig, BUT they are all in other folders, like Backup\My Documents or Webstuff\My Documents, or Naked Chicks\My Documents. On the 250 Gig, there is no My Documents in the root directory...which is where the primary one is supposed to be.

The actuall folder I am looking for is the big one with everything in it. It should be E:\My Documents.

It shows up in a general search, but NOT when I go directly to the 250 Gig drive itself with windows explorer.

I have to ether type it in by hand (E:\My Documents), or go to the search function in the start menu and type it in there.

If I try to open a windows explorer window, and brows for it, it is simply gone. Same if I try to brows for it from a program like MS Word.

It's like it is there, but hidden somehow.
SO just put a shortcut on your desktop.

BruceSteveRoy
01-02-2008, 10:32 AM
you have all of that stuff backed up on disc right? not just on your hardrive?

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 12:06 PM
I have a 17 Gig hardrive with it all the really important stuff backed up, and another 2 10 Gigs with the rest.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 12:06 PM
How do you put a shortcut6 to a file you can't find?

MasterKiller
01-02-2008, 12:15 PM
How do you put a shortcut6 to a file you can't find?

In XP...

Right click on the desktop > New > Shortcut

Then paste the location of the folder into the wizard that pops up (E:\My documents).

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Cool, Thanxs!! It shows up in the Windows explorer now!!

I actually changed the properties of the "My Documents" in the Start menu though.

Why would that unhide the file?

Lucas
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
cuz computers work similar to magic.

its when the gnomes inside get confused, sometimes they misplace things. like my left sox

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. Wouldn't be the first time a computer did some wacky unexplainable thing! :D

For Example, the KFM computer will not allow me to sign in to the Kung Fu forum under my username. It lets me use it for all the other forums though, just not this one...I have to trick it by using an alias....no one can fix the problem either....:(

CLFLPstudent
01-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Feh - Get a Mac! :cool:

Have had my latest Mac for 2 years not, not a single crash. You can run just about anything you could want in OS 10, and if you really need windows, the new Intel machines let you dual boot.

You want games, get an xbox360.

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Why wold I get a Mac when my entire system was built for free, including all my OS and Software?

It's not the PC's fault I only alloted 10 gigs for the operating system...I did that.

Besides, I know someone with a Mac that got hit with a Virus and lost all thier Data, so Macs are not invincible either.

CLFLPstudent
01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Besides, I know someone with a Mac that got hit with a Virus and lost all thier Data, so Macs are not invincible either.

One Mac user got a virus? How many of your PC friends have gotten them? How much trouble do you have to go through to make sure you don't get a virus on a PC? I don't run any anti-virus software at all, no firewall ( other than router-based restrictions), and like I said I haven't crashed since I got it for Christmas in 2006.

Viruses aside, the amount of maintenance a PC needs is inexcusable. Like I said, I haven't had a single crash in 2 years on my latest machine. Clean out your cache, defrag, re-install windows ( lol at this one). You have a monitor and a USB keyboard/mouse, then for $800 you can get a box that is slightly bigger than 5 CD cases stacked together with a DVD +/-/RW Dual layer/CD-RW burner , built in wireless 802.11g and bluetooth.

I understand that your box was put together for free, but how much of a hassle has it given you? To a person, everyone I know who run Windows complains about their machines. They are all so afraid to switch over, dunno why.

-David

btw - that Tesla Motors in your sig is pretty cool! Too bad they are so expensive!

IronWeasel
01-02-2008, 02:27 PM
So my computer locked up.

Now, keep in mind my 250 Gig drive was OUT of the PC, and on a table in the other room when I did all this.

Doll Lady.
:eek:

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 02:36 PM
The Tesla is no more expensive than any other super car in it's class.

I can't wait till they do an SUV that is more inline with the needs of the everyday person.

As for maintenance, my PC does all that stuff automatically behind the scenes. I use and aftermarket Defrag that automatically Defrags when the screen saver is on, or at pre programed times late at nite. My guess is the Mac has that built in. I have some spyware and anti virus running in the background at all times too, so it's really no effort to me at all. Again, the Mac must also do this or it would be filled with spyware too.

The only real issue I seem to have is that I didn't alot enough hard drive room for the operating system....a common problem with PC users. The OS really needs room to grow. I suspect Mac's just give it the room out of the box.

Windows grows about 10 gigs every year or so because it collects old files due to internet surfing. Many go into the Temp files and eventually get deleted, but many are just stored in Windows as randomly numbered files. There is no way to know which are needed, and which are not. This is the real reason Windows gets removed and replaced every so often. It is a problem that Microsoft really needs to Address, and the primary reason Macs are considered more stable.

Everything else is just Software options that run behind the scenes, and a PC can be set up that way too.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 02:37 PM
I wonder what ever happened to the Doll Chick. She was really hot!! I should have tapped that at least once I think...But I ran away scared!!

Yao Sing
01-02-2008, 04:15 PM
For the record, the reason Macs don't get hit with viruses and spyware as much as PCs do is because hackers etc. don't bother attacking them since they aren't popular enough, not because of some inherent immunity as most Mac users assume.

If Macs were as widespread they would get hit just as hard and as often.

RD, you can move your swap file from the C: drive to your 250GB E: drive to save space and speed things up a bit. Also delete the uninstall files from all the updates.

CLFLPstudent
01-02-2008, 05:24 PM
For the record, the reason Macs don't get hit with viruses and spyware as much as PCs do is because hackers etc. don't bother attacking them since they aren't popular enough, not because of some inherent immunity as most Mac users assume.

If Macs were as widespread they would get hit just as hard and as often.

OK, don't get a Mac then.

We don't want the hackers! Forget what I said!:o

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 06:35 PM
What is a "Swap" file?

CLFLPstudent
01-02-2008, 08:48 PM
What is a "Swap" file?

Something else you don't have to worry about with a Mac :cool:

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Don't you mean something else you can't configure your own way on a MAC?