PDA

View Full Version : How Do Macs deal with Spyware?

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 02:56 PM
It does not seem reasonable to think they are not exposed to it as much as a PC.

What does MAC do to deal with spyware?

SifuAbel
01-02-2008, 03:03 PM
The "Mac not being a target" is measurable in comparison to its market share. The more popular the Mac gets the more hackers will attack it. So far it only needs minimal protection.

Spyware is handled pretty much the same way on both systems,they will use filtering software. Sometimes the browsers themselves handle to task.

Lucas
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
They dont have Mac support sites and employees for no reason.

CLFLPstudent
01-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I downloaded and used a trial spyware removal program for a month - MacScan 2 - but I never bought it after the trial ran out.

Now I don't run spyware programs - didn't see any speed improvement while running the spyware program versus not running it.

When I used to use my PC rig a lot ( mainly games), I would run a memory management program, a third-party defragger, Zone Alarm, Adaware, some anti-virus program among other crap that was put in the lower right side of the desktop ( So long now I forget what it's called :p). I was running XP Pro with 2 gig's of DDR ( 800). At the same time, my wife was using an iMac and never had to worry about any of that stuff.

I use Macs at work ( recording studio) and they require LITTLE maintenance even though we run lots of linked programs ( Pro Tools, Reason, Guitar Rig, etc). Once installed, the OS defrags the drive, you reboot and it works. Very very rarely do I crash at the studio, but it is usually cause by Pro Tools or one of the soft synths we run ( Atmosphere, Trilogy, Stylus).

Since the use of Intel chips I think the occurrence of virus' and hacking have increased, but are still extremely low compared to Window boxes. Safari ( Mac's "IE") filters out pop-ups automatically if you want it to ( I guess IE does it too).

Software-wise, what is available only to PC's ( besides games - get an xbox360) that I can't run on a Mac?

-David

Yum Cha
01-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Curently, there are no virii attacking macs, the 2 or 3 out there are well covered by anti-virus utilities that rip them out. They are actually worms, not virii.

There are some minor exploitations of Qucktime autorun functions and there were some internet Explorer vulnerabilities, but that's old hat now. Updates and security patches for the OSX are frequent enough to keep them out.

I don't know of any Mac vulnerabliity to spyware, however there are some websites that are exploiting a security weakness in some macs, but its not really spyware, more malicious code.

I don't know of any botware that works on Mac, it just doesn't execute, and the bot masters just don't see the critical mass needed on the Mac Platform.

In essence, with very few exceptions, and those being well documented, rare and rather benign, the mac platform does not have security issues, require commercial anti-virus software, and does not have exploited vulnerabilities.

This is not to say that tomorrow's hackers can't upset the applecart, but the status quo is quite comfy.

HOWEVER, you will hear a constant prattle from the PC camp that the mac invulnerability to Virii and the like is just a teetering illusion, just like you used to hear the same prattle that Apple is barely viable, and ready to go under any day now....

Currently, Gartner Group amongst others is recommendending to all their clients that they convert to UNIX or Apple operating systems due to the expense, lots productivity and risk involved in the Windows platform based upon its security issues, thus, the windows camp must attack the Mac seeming invulnerability to the baddies.

So, the PR machine is in place, and there are lots of articles on how the Mac MAY be attacked one day in the future because of Blah blah blah.......

Sort of like the same propoganda that was saying how Vista was going to be the Mac Killer OS from MS when it eventually gets completed....

So, love them or hate them, Macs do not have practical security issues, only 'theoretical" issues plain and simple.

If you are really that interested, have a look at this security site for this year's top 20 security issues: http://www.sans.org/top20/

doug maverick
01-02-2008, 04:07 PM
when the **** did this become a computer website i had to check to make sure i'm in the right place.

Yao Sing
01-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Apple always had a good OS but missed the boat in the early days and hasn't been able to recover. OS/2 was a better product too but thatdidn't keep it from being run over by WinNT.

There's currently a lot of resistance to Vista, more the the usual Win upgrade resistance. Unfortunately I don't think OS X will be able to take advantage of the situation, even with the Intel version.

Linux will eventually win out and run the office. It already runs the bulk of the Internet and businesses are slowly coming around.

The best product doesn't always win out in the marketplace. It's all in the marketing.

David Jamieson
01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
They don't.

Mac's use proprietary code. No exe's for instance.

you can get em with java or with other web based scripts, but to dl a program into a mac, it would have to be written for a mac.

mac's are sealed tight for the most part.

conversely, they are virtually useless for much of anything that most computer fanatics love. Like gaming or downloading stuff that only works in pc format.

On a mac, teh web is very different and kind of limited in a lot of ways, gaming completely sucks donkey balls on a mac and although they like to say things like "it just works" they neglect to mention that it only works with mac software which is like 1% of what is available for a pc and when it stops working, everything stops working.

And that's why Mac has a 3% market share.

I've worked with macs, they are good for multimedia development, sound recording, photoshop, email and surfing, other than that, they are dog balls and they cost too much, about 2 to 3 times as much as an equally if not more powerful and flexible PC.

macs also allow you to remain stupid computer wise because you never have to problem solve, they either work or they don't and that's all.

signed
Mac sucks

:p

SifuAbel
01-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Man, you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind the times. Mac has some of the best protected memory in the business.

You don't get freeze screen anymore, and for a long time now.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Sort of like the same propoganda that was saying how Vista was going to be the Mac Killer OS from MS when it eventually gets completed....

Reply]
I have a friend who runs a small computer company. they put Vista in all thier systems form clients who had upgrade requests, and had nothing but problems. In the end they went back to XP and won't do Vista upgrades even on request now.

I have to say, I know Macs all seem to really want to push the reliability issue, but other than my own oversite on low Hard drive space for my OS, I have not really had many problems now that I got some corporate version ant Virus/Spyware installed.

It all works behind the scenes, so I don't know it is there. I get no pop ups, no crashes, and my system is pretty darn fast.

I actually installed all that stuff into my laptop too because it works so well (the laptop kept loading up with crap otherwise), so the problems with PCs have some pretty simple fixes. I don't think the Mac has anything on a PC, other than all that stuff comes with it out of the box.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Man, you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind the times. Mac has some of the best protected memory in the business.

You don't get freeze screen anymore, and for a long time now.

Reply]
Freeze screen is, and has allways been due to lack of working memory and virtual memory space. Run a couple 2 Gig sticks in your PC, and have at least 25 Gigs free for the OS, and a PC runs super smooth too.

I suspect that is pretty much all the Macs did for thier fix as well.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
macs also allow you to remain stupid computer wise because you never have to problem solve, they either work or they don't and that's all.

Reply]
I have allways thought this was part of the whole thing myself. MAC come fully loaded with all the most popular things. PCs are all loaded different )or barly loaded at all), are configured different and require a much larger knowledge base because they have endless variations allowing them to be adapted to endless specific needs.

I think most of the swearing at them is more operators underestimating thier needs, or issues with configuring them to thier own custom specs.

If you go to a PC user and ask "Whatchya Runnin?" you might get 20 minutes of Techno babble and PC component jargon. Ask the same question to a Mac user and they will look at you and go errrr....Uh Mac? Because thye have no clue how thier machine is actually equipped beyond the most basic things.

For example, ask me the question and you will hear 2 WD 40 and 250 Gig HD's with 6 stikcs of 512 DDR ram governed by an Atholon double duty 2800 processor on a Soyo mother board, a crappy video card, but great sound blaster, a Johnson high watt powersupply with dual cooling fans running Windows XP corperate, Fire Fox, Lime wire/Itunes my charting software, a Cracked MS office pack Adobe Photo shop, Turbo Draw (an EXCELLENT little program originally for Windows 95 btw), Dyno pro plus (Virtual dyno software for high performance car builders)....tec to infinity all compiled in a used case I found in the closet at my friends house in 1998. I have run the system with as much as FIFTY windows open all at the smae time, didn't shut it off for 8 months once and it runs stable.

Same question to a Mac user yields this response;
Mac user...Um....a Mac....it wirks?

It's like trying to talk car with a girl. She knows the Key makes it go, and gass goes in the little door in the back compared to a Gearhead who built his car....

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
when the **** did this become a computer website i had to check to make sure i'm in the right place

Reply]
When all of us Oldtimers that have been here for the last 10 years or more realised we have discussed every possible martial arts topic imaginable 100 times over and got board of it all...so we expanded our horizons and now discuss other topics as well.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Spyware is handled pretty much the same way on both systems,they will use filtering software. Sometimes the browsers themselves handle to task.

Reply]
This is what I thought. It's the same thing with the PC...they use some sort of software to manage it all behind the scenes.

Also, I know some Mac users who have gotten Viruses and lost everything because of them. A PC user gets one and our systems just slow down till Norton cleans them out. Viruses for us are just Colds for PC users. For Mac users they are terminal illneses due to not having any sort of immune system.

David Jamieson
01-02-2008, 07:08 PM
nsfw, but really funny.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Yao Sing
01-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I picked up a couple of used Dell Precision P4 (2.8 & 3GHz), 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, LCD monitor (17" & 18") off of Ebay from a local surplus store (saved on shipping). Win XP Pro COA included.

Mac - I have no clue. Got an old G3 about 450MHz with OS9 but haven't upgraded or messed with it but I should learn something about them. I've got OS x for Intel but haven't installed it anywhere.

Haven't even had time to mess with my Dell Poweredge 2500 duel 1GHz P3 server. I installed Redhat Enterprise then packed it away and went out of town.

I have a list of computers ranging from Vic20, C 64 and TS100 to the Poweredge server and everything in between. Even an old Mac LC.

Then there's the Hero Jr. robot and Omnibot and Omnibot 200 plus Armatron and a host of other robots. It's like a game room around here.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
I have a TRS-80 Model 1 in with the 16K memory upgrade and the Expansion interface.

CLFLPstudent
01-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Here's a good question for you PC guy's :

Why do you NEED to upgrade so much? My computer runs just fine with 512MB ram. Running OS 10.4.11 for 2 years ( 10.4.x plus upgrades over the time period), not a single crash. I run a 1.5gHz G4 ( single processor, non-intel), I web surf, email, I can run ProTools at home ( limited RTAS effects because I didn't upgrade my RAM), Photoshop, MS Word-Excel-PowerPoint if I want ( installed but I don't really need them).

What is it about Windows machines that need to be constantly upgraded over time? Why does the OS grow to fill a 10GB partition? Why do you need to get new graphics cards? I don't know anything about the Xbox360, but I don't think you need to upgrade it's graphics card for new games and they look pretty d@mn good.

My friend put it well - do you buy a car, bring it home and take out and put back the engine every 6 months? Do you change the seats, transmission every couple of months? Do you have to tune it up yourself all of the time?

Just doesn't seem right to have to do that.

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 09:32 PM
My friend put it well - do you buy a car, bring it home and take out and put back the engine every 6 months? Do you change the seats, transmission every couple of months? Do you have to tune it up yourself all of the time?

Reply]
Why do we upgrade? Becasue unlike Macs, PC's are always improving.

It's like Hotroding a car. Every few months you are pulling the motor and adding more high performance parts, Camshafts, Pistons Heads intakes etc... PC's are totally hotrodable to the extreme....MACs you are pretty much stuck running stock.

So while you are suffering with one 512, I have 3, 2 Gig sticks on order.....

CLFLPstudent
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Why do we upgrade? Becasue unlike Macs, PC's are always improving.

It's like Hotroding a car. Every few months you are pulling the motor and adding more high performance parts, Camshafts, Pistons Heads intakes etc... PC's are totally hotrodable to the extreme....MACs you are pretty much stuck running stock.

So while you are suffering with one 512, I have 3, 2 Gig sticks on order.....

Lol - but you guy's are the ones always complaining how your boxes are broken!

MY 512 has me running faster and smoother than your machine, I can tell you that. You buy a Mac, it's hotrodded already, you don't need that other stuff. You guys complain about the cost of a Mac, but you add a new Vid Card for $400 every 6-8 months because you can't run the newest game at 100FPS with all of the detail turned to the highest settings. Then you have to get a 7.1 Audio card for another $300 so the sound is 'right'. Uh-oh, then you gotta get another 3x 2 gig sticks because your ping is slow. And d@mn, that box runs hot - time for a new water-cooled system!

Oh no - why is my machine running so slow? I just re-installed Windows for the third time this week!

Please - if that's what gets you off, more power to ya!

Just trying to help :rolleyes:

-David

doug maverick
01-02-2008, 09:51 PM
when the **** did this become a computer website i had to check to make sure i'm in the right place

Reply]
When all of us Oldtimers that have been here for the last 10 years or more realised we have discussed every possible martial arts topic imaginable 100 times over and got board of it all...so we expanded our horizons and now discuss other topics as well.

i been here just as long as most of you. so again i ask when the **** did this become of a computer website.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 09:58 PM
MY 512 has me running faster and smoother than your machine, I can tell you that. You buy a Mac, it's hotrodded already, you don't need that other stuff.

Reply]
In your dreams!!!

No way 1.5 MZ with one 512 is going to out run a 2800 Double duty Athlon with a whole rack of 512s......

Look at it this way, I am clocked at 1.6 mz with a Double duty processor...which means it's processing twice, when a regular one is processing only once. So when I am clocked at 1.6, I am really doing 3.2mz...or more than twice as fast as you. I can clock it as high as 2.8 BTW, so I am technically capable of running at double that (5.6 MZ for the mathematically disabled) if I had the ability to keep it cool at that speed. I don't at the moment, so I clocked it down to be only slightly more than twice the speed your machine can do.....

So, when I complain I am running slow, it's because I might be only running around 2.4-2.8...which is still loads faster than you....or your MAC could ever in a million years begin to dream of.

Out of the BOX we are faster than you, with plenty of room to go, and nothing holding us back.

Apparently, everything we need to do to stay virus and spyware free is all the same things YOU need to do too...we just have a bigger choice of options than you do.

This is why MACs only have a 3% market share.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh, and one more thing, when I am complaining I'm running slow, it usually because I have 20 frik'n windows open all at once, with 3/4 of them being live Java charts of the futures markets, Music both downloading, and in another window playing, and some sort of video all running at once....AND defrag, anti virus and spyware scans all going on at the same time. A MAC would choke to death under half those conditions and crash. I'm just slowed down a little bit.....which is STILL moving 50% faster than your 1.5 mz MAC without much of a load....and I should buy one of those over priced limited machines...why?

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh, and one more one more thing; my 2800 Athlon Duel core processor is 4 years old...they have the new QUAD cores out now.....

In 2008 they are relesing a 3mz Quad core.

3X4=1.2 *GIGS* of processing speed...or just a hair short of TEN TIMES the speed of your MAC.....

Again, I would want one of those slow assed outdated Apples..why?

Mr Punch
01-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Curently, there are no virii attacking macsThere are no virii. It's an impossible plural of virius (that too would be wrong as it would be a Group 2 verb IIRC so the plural would be virium). There are viri ('men' - plural of vir). Virus to the Romans meant toxicity so it had no plural. The plural of virus was formed when it was first attributed its modern meaning as a disease or agent of disease in 1728 (off the top of my head), and therefore is viruses. It has been noted that although virii and other pointless back-formations have come into use by some l33t computer users to denote a superiority of knowledge, it was coined as joke by l33t speakers and is still not recognised in ANY dictionary, and is frowned upon by most l33ters too. :p

You have been warned! :mad:

To a computer geek,
signed
a linguistics geek! :cool:

On a mac, teh web is very different and kind of limited in a lot of ways, gaming completely sucks donkey balls on a mac and although they like to say things like "it just works" they neglect to mention that it only works with mac software which is like 1% of what is available for a pc and when it stops working, everything stops working.I don't do gaming: I grewed up (I lie! I play Halo 3, Gears of War and Assassins' Creed on Xbox360 when I go to my friend's house :D )! If I want to indulge in fantasy pursuits I do kung fu and pretend I can fight! :rolleyes:

Until six months or so ago I was a loyal PC user - there is no difference to how I can use the web now, except that I didn't have to install any anti-virus software and my Mac never freezes (my PC always did - and was frequently infected, and no, not always from dodgy sites!). I was advised by my systems engineer friend who has always worked with PCs (and hated Macs) to get a Mac over Vista, as Vista is still riddled with bugs.

Even the guy in the PC shop apologised for not having any machines without Vista and said that the bugs should mostly be smoothed out within a year...! LOL I wanted a machine I could use from the box...! :P

And that's why Mac has a 3% market share.Nah, it's because most people only listen to what they what they want to hear, and tho they've never used one for any amount of time they'll listen to some other guy who's never used one moaning about it (Yes, I know you've used one).

... they cost too much, about 2 to 3 times as much as an equally if not more powerful and flexible PC.This is BS. My Macbook cost about ¥40-50 000 less than the equivalent PC laptop ($400-500). Maybe that's just Japan? :rolleyes:

macs also allow you to remain stupid computer wise because you never have to problem solve, they either work or they don't and that's all.With a cheap five-year all inclusive insurance policy (I mean, I drop the thing and it gets replaced) who cares!? I don't need/want to invest time learning how a ****ing computer works, any more than I do a pen, typewriter, calculator, video or DVD player/camera - I just want to use it! :p

You don't get freeze screen anymore, and for a long time now.Never had one. On my PC had them all the time, with good virus software installed too.

I have a friend who runs a small computer company. they put Vista in all thier systems form clients who had upgrade requests, and had nothing but problems. In the end they went back to XP and won't do Vista upgrades even on request now.LOL, our point exactly! Don't remember any probs with Tiger or Leopard! The Mac people like to test an OS before they sell it to the mug punters, not use them to test it! :D

Reply]
I have allways thought this was part of the whole thing myself. MAC come fully loaded with all the most popular things. ...
Same question to a Mac user yields this response;
Mac user...Um....a Mac....it wirks?

It's like trying to talk car with a girl. She knows the Key makes it go, and gass goes in the little door in the back compared to a Gearhead who built his car....Coming fully loaded with all the most popular things? Now there's a problem... :confused: ... :rolleyes:

And that answer sounds fine to me! I know what I need to know: how much and what I can install and run. Anybody who says they need to know more is either in the business or a major geek. I can understand needing to learn how to tune and look after your car: in case of the American/Christian/Islamic/Mexican Zombie Ninja Pirate Holocaust, but Mac/PC? Hell my PC was heavy enough to do some damage, but it would have fallen apart after one use: I reckon the Mac's more durable and a third of the weight!

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Coming fully loaded with all the most popular things? Now there's a problem... ...

Reply]
PC's generally come with the basics so you are not paying for things you don't really need, or want. maybe you DON'T want MS Word, maybe you want Word Perfect. Why pay for MS Word if you are not going to even use it and it's going to just wast hard drive space?

With Macs, you don't have an option. They only have one program for a particular use. PC's have lots of options, so they only come with the basics. This allows the user to option them out themselves as they see fit. This is especially good for business systems that might need to be heavy on network software and need to run industry specific programs, but not need MS word or some other type of word processor. Why pay for it if you don't need it?

I honestly get tired of MAC users coming into conversations about PC with the solution "Just Get A Mac"

In my case, I had a file hide. Finding it was really simple. All I had to do is ask someone how. The "Just Get a "Mac" solution would have entailed going out, buying a machine for hundreds of dollars that will NEVER be anywhere near as fast as mine, deal with software incompatibilities, finding some way to get my data and PC programs for my business to run on a mac when they don't, learn a whole new system and set up, go through all my back up files (50+GiGs) and try and convert them all to work on the Mac, when it's such an oddball platform and generally create weeks of headaches and agony for me, when all I needed to do is point the file shortcut to E:\My Documents.

Seriously, getting a MAC would just be the stupidest thing I could do. I have a FAST (and I mean really F'n FAST) system that can multi task at levels that would crash two macs at once. Why would I want to step down? Because you feel the need to answer a PC related question with any irritating annoying Mac sales pitch about your deluded perspective that a MAc is even remote comparable to my PC? It's a laughable joke. Especially when I am running under clocked and STILL twice as fast as a Mac with a source of FREE parts allowing me to upgrade every year to the lastest advances in technology?

It's a dumb as these people whos answers to gas prices are "Get a Bike" expecting me to get all over Chicagoland, traveling 100 + miles a day, in less than 8 hours, making 5 to 6 stops a day, carrying my mobile office with me through rain, sleet and snow on a frik'n bicycle.

The "Get a MAC sales pitch to everyone discussing PC issues is got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. It goes to show how totally clueless mac users really are more than anything.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Another rant about stupid Mac supporters...I had a friend over some months ago...he is a mac user. While he was here, I was printing something for my business. I got distracted and sent it to the wrong printer and it printed to a file instead of paper. When he saw me get frustrated with my mistake his answer was "Just Get a Mac!! it doesn't have any PC problems, it "Just prints"!" to which my response was to almost deck him.

I don't need a system for mindlessly simple people who are just barely smart enough to find the on/off button, I need a system that will let me print to 3 different printers that are driven by two different PC's simultaneously, including one that prints to a PDF file inside my own computer....in other words I need a platform with OPTIONS, and FLEXIBILITY, not a single minded devotion to some stupid product that does not fill my needs.

monji112000
01-03-2008, 08:02 AM
It does not seem reasonable to think they are not exposed to it as much as a PC.

What does MAC do to deal with spyware?
Mac OS is based on the BSD kernel. (Unix)
They are much lower on the totem pole because of that amount of users compared to Windows users (desktop). So you will never find that same amount of viruses and spyware ect.. (spyware is a windows thing not a Unix/linux problem).

Mac Os is 100% better than vista. You could try Suse or Fedora they are Gnu Linux variants. I would recommend Suse I run a few desktops that use it.
Just as a point nothing is void of software issues, some companies continue bad practices that further their problems(Microsoft).
OK everyone knows that I'm a geek. Yes I use "linux".:rolleyes:

just as a point Open Source software has replaced most software. If you are worrying about MS office... I replaced it in my company many years ago with Open Office. We get way more functionality. It supports more documents than MS office does (well did at the time I'm not sure how the software is working today).

Mac hardware used to be much better than "PC"s but its really not that much better anymore. Mac OS is WAY better than XP and vista .. but hey thats my opinion. It would help they have a list of wants to compare the two OS's with.

I wouldn't dog Mac users for being dumb. Mac OS is designed to work, without user interaction. Windows software would like to think they work like that, but in reality they are more complicated than Unix and Gnu Linux combined. The fact is most people don't need to know how to replace their engine in their car. I don't know anything about any of my car's functions.. and I would never buy a car that didn't just work. (well nothing works 100% of the time.. but you know what I mean).
Mac users are spoiled, most of them know as much about stuff as Windows users.. they just don't worry about the mountain of configuration windows.
Windows has absolutely 0 flexibility and maybe 3 options. :D Mac OS has just as many if not more. Do you know anything about computers? NO I don't have a Mac but I support them (at work).

CLFLPstudent
01-03-2008, 08:02 AM
It's a laughable joke. Especially when I am running under clocked and STILL twice as fast as a Mac with a source of FREE parts allowing me to upgrade every year to the lastest advances in technology?

Ahh, here we go. This could be the root of the issue! I wonder if your 'source' for free PC parts had Macintosh parts instead, would we be having this discussion?

Listen, I took IT courses, and passed a bunch of MCSE tests. I know PC's and I know Macs. There is by far more PC software out there, games and whatnot. I know PC's are a pain in the arse to keep 'clean' and running smoothly. I am the one my friends and family come to when their PC is crapped up with garbage and they need it to run faster. I do it for them and politely say - 'get a mac, you don't need to worry about this stuff'. If you want gaming, get a dedicated gaming box. Why do you need to keep upgrading a PC to run new games when an Xbox360 out of the box can run sweet looking games for years to come?

As far as Mac's not being versatile, well you just don't know what your talking about. Any Mac user can print to multiple printers, or to a file, or as a PDF.

Oh, by the way (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/31/us_army_mac_attack/) and here (http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Mac_Attack_US_Army_guarding_its_Windows_with_ OSX_12198.html). I guess our armed forces switched over to a POS machine?

But whatever. I really don't care - stay with your Windows machine. I look forward to all of the PC question posts over the next bunch of years :p

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 08:23 AM
He does have Mac parts, he repairs those too...and *Gasp* they have problems as well!!

The over all point here is that an inquiry about a PC related problem will NOT be answered with a MAC sales pitch...all it's going to do is motivate me to highlite the stupidity of "Get a Mac, it just works". Especially when the solution to my problem was faster than writing this post.

monji112000
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Ahh, here we go. This could be the root of the issue! I wonder if your 'source' for free PC parts had Macintosh parts instead, would we be having this discussion?

Listen, I took IT courses, and passed a bunch of MCSE tests. I know PC's and I know Macs. There is by far more PC software out there, games and whatnot.
MCSE tests? I hope you didn't pay for them. If you start counting, you will find that Just about all the software for Windows will run perfectly fine on other OS's. I have a friend who runs all the "new" PC games on his none windows machine. I would say if anything more software exists that doesn't run on Windows. That isn't to say they are all games :D

monji112000
01-03-2008, 08:33 AM
He does have Mac parts, he repairs those too...and *Gasp* they have problems as well!!

The over all point here is that an inquiry about a PC related problem will NOT be answered with a MAC sales pitch...all it's going to do is motivate me to highlite the stupidity of "Get a Mac, it just works". Especially when the solution to my problem was faster than writing this post.
solution to 90% of windows problems = reinstall. That alone should tell you the quality of the software. How many viruses were created for MAC os last year? or "spy ware" for Mac os? thats the real answer to your question.

Mr Punch
01-03-2008, 08:49 AM
With Macs, you don't have an option. They only have one program for a particular use. That's simply wrong too. There are a few word processing packages I can choose from.

I honestly get tired of MAC users coming into conversations about PC with the solution "Just Get A Mac"To be fair, I wasn't saying that, I was reacting to your inaccurate Mac-bashing post. I don't actually care either way what anybody uses. I didn't buy a Mac as a ****ing lifestyle choice, I bought it because it was recommended to me by people I trust and I wanted a machine that was guaranteed not to crash on me and **** up my work. A PC with Vista couldn't give me that guarantee, I was sick of reconditioned PCs, didn't want to mess about deleting and reinstalling an OS and I couldn't find one with 2000 or XP.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 09:03 AM
I heard Vista was crap from a number of sources...which is fine, I have the 11-1 Xp disk and just use XP corporate in both my systems. I don't see a need to go to Vista. XP works perfectly for me. I see no reason to fix what is not broke.

The only area I want to see improvement is in my laptop. I have an averetec, and it's just not performing like I thought it would. It's a cheap industry field laptop used by companies with fleets of workers out in the field. Its kind of poorly equipped. I am used to the speed and reliability of my desktop, and going to the laptop in the field kind of sux. I have to see what can be done to speed it up. I know faster emeory, harddrives and multi core processors are available for it, so i may upgrade when the parts come to me cheap.

Takuan
01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20060513.jpg

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
LOL!! that made my day!! :D

monji112000
01-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I heard Vista was crap from a number of sources...which is fine, I have the 11-1 Xp disk and just use XP corporate in both my systems. I don't see a need to go to Vista. XP works perfectly for me. I see no reason to fix what is not broke.

The only area I want to see improvement is in my laptop. I have an averetec, and it's just not performing like I thought it would. It's a cheap industry field laptop used by companies with fleets of workers out in the field. Its kind of poorly equipped. I am used to the speed and reliability of my desktop, and going to the laptop in the field kind of sux. I have to see what can be done to speed it up. I know faster emeory, harddrives and multi core processors are available for it, so i may upgrade when the parts come to me cheap.

hey I'm using a Averetec. I love it. What do you use it for, then that will help explain what's so crap about it?

monji112000
01-03-2008, 09:36 AM
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20060513.jpg
what about the amount of time a company takes to release fixes for their software, and its relationship to the amount of time it takes to write a exploit? what about writing better code? what about writing built-in protection for cases were exploits are created. Yes security through obscurity its a big help, but in general $soft using allot of bad practices that would never float in any other industry. Just try selling a car using the same tactics..

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Well, so far my Averetec has blown the socket for the memory chip, not the chip mind you, the socket for it. then the monitor got stripes, 3 months after I bought it and Averetec won't warrantee it. the imput for the cable blew and it will not accept internet access through it. It will work if I go in via the USB, but not the cable jack.

Generally, when I have 16 windows open, it slows down quite a bit, especially if i have my charting software and Google earth open at once...but I think thta is a memory issue, it was fine before it blew the memory chip sockt.

Oh, also if I leave it on for more than 36 hours, it shuts off and restarts by itself, with no imput from me.

It has the smallest air inlet imaginable, and in summer I sometimes have thermal shutdown issues with it. When under pressure to get assignments done, I have actually had to put it in the freezer to get it running again in a timley manor.

The 2-1/2 hour battery life is a bit of a pain, but the fact that it is less than an ince and super lite makes up for that as I often like to write estimates from the site as I carry it around the car I am inspecting.

I got the 13" screen, which is a perfect balance between sizes, so the unit does have some pluses, but it has been pretty buggy.....especially when you consider my desktop totally blows it away and it's made totally of junk parts I scraped off a friend.

I actually like the unit despite it's problems, but it's still a pretty crappy machine over all.

I am going to add a 2 Gig Ram stick, and maybe a faster hard drive when i replace the monitor. hopefully that fixes the last of the bugs.

If i had built it myself, I would not complain, but when I pay for a completely assembled unit, I expect the major components to function right.

Lucas
01-03-2008, 10:16 AM
mac is that stock car off the lot that runs well, doesnt really have many problems.

PC is like that muscle car in your garage, you tune it, tweek it, upgrade it and it destroys life.

monji112000
01-03-2008, 11:01 AM
mac is that stock car off the lot that runs well, doesnt really have many problems.

PC is like that muscle car in your garage, you tune it, tweek it, upgrade it and it destroys life.

PC is like a minivan.

Lucas
01-03-2008, 11:07 AM
PC is like a minivan.

if thats the case, my PC is a minivan loaded with nitro, V12, and tons of hot chicks.

CLFLPstudent
01-03-2008, 11:12 AM
PC is like that muscle car in your garage, you NEED TO tune it CONSTANTLY, MUST tweek it TO NO END , AND ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO upgrade it EVERY FEW WEEKS BECAUSE IT WON'T RUN THE NEWEST OS/GAME WITHOUT GOBS OF RAM AND HD SPACE and it destroys IT'S OWNERS life BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS REINSTALLING IT'S ENGINE WHEN IT WON'T START, EVEN THOUGH YOU JUST REINSTALLED IT 2 DAYS AGO AND IT WAS RUNNING FINE FOR 36 HOURS.

Fixed :rolleyes:

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Just for the record, I have only re installed windows once since I built this machine 4 years ago.

Lucas
01-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Fixed :rolleyes:

-David

lol ya right. that might be the case for idiots.

ive never re installed my OS, i dont get spyware, viruses, worms etc.

Ive had my current machine for 4 years, when it was built by myself, everything was top o the line. All Ive done to it since then is get a new monitor, a second hard drive, some more memory, and new games.

oh btw I like to play games too. so for people like me with really nice PC's macs blow the fattest goats you can find.

jo
01-03-2008, 11:47 AM
[I]

It's like trying to talk car with a girl. She knows the Key makes it go, and gass goes in the little door in the back compared to a Gearhead who built his car....

Some of us would rather be driving the car than constantly fixing it. ;-)

-jo

Yao Sing
01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I have a TRS-80 Model 1 in with the 16K memory upgrade and the Expansion interface.

I still have my first computer, VIC 20, and the 3k expansion board I built for it (one of my first electronics projects).

Here's a good question for you PC guy's :

Why do you NEED to upgrade so much?

Nobody "needs" to upgrade, mostly they want to upgrade (Mac users included). You can pretty much do everything you need on an old 486 running Windows 95 but why bother?

MY 512 has me running faster and smoother than your machine, I can tell you that. You buy a Mac, it's hotrodded already, you don't need that other stuff.

Reply]
In your dreams!!!

No way 1.5 MZ with one 512 is going to out run a 2800 Double duty Athlon with a whole rack of 512s......

Look at it this way, I am clocked at 1.6 mz with a Double duty processor...which means it's processing twice, when a regular one is processing only once. So when I am clocked at 1.6, I am really doing 3.2mz...

Not exactly accurate, it's duel core so it has 2 ALU's for better multitasking. You can get more done as long as the software takes advantage of it but it's not exactly twice the clock speed.

Generally, when I have 16 windows open, it slows down quite a bit, especially if i have my charting software and Google earth open at once...but I think thta is a memory issue, it was fine before it blew the memory chip sockt.

I am going to add a 2 Gig Ram stick, and maybe a faster hard drive when i replace the monitor. hopefully that fixes the last of the bugs.

That should do it, more RAM=more simultaneous windows open. Also keeps you from having to go to virtual memory (swapfile on hard drive) which is much slower then RAM. I've got 2 gigs in my main computer and video compression just zips along.

I usually just run Windows 2000 but my latest aquisitions came with Windows XP Pro installed (COA sticker included).

I'm kind of stuck with needing to use a current OS because I make a living fixing them and it's hard to support something you don't use. That's why I don't support Macs. And I don't use Macs because I rarely run into them in an office environment or on the job.

I hated switching from OS2 to Win95 but had to because I nneded to be familiar with it for work. Another reason I don't have Linux on all my computers.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Not exactly accurate, it's duel core so it has 2 ALU's for better multitasking. You can get more done as long as the software takes advantage of it but it's not exactly twice the clock speed

Reply]
The way I always understood it was that the duel core processor got the work done as if it was twice as fast because it could do two things at once...sort of like a two lane highway can handle twice as many cars, even though the speed limit is the same as a one lane highway.

So it's not really running at twice the speed, but it's getting the same amount of work done as if it was...which is what I was trying to convey in the previous post.

Yao Sing
01-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I guess it would be if the software divided the processes equally in 2 between the cores but generally it runs one process on one while starting a different process on the other, all working towards the same task. It's like running multiple CPU's, memory and bus are shared so that would be the bottleneck.

My Compaq Proliant duel Pentium Pro server was like that but you have to have software that will assign processes to each CPU.

Chip architecture makes a big difference too so you can't compare a Mac and a PC based on clock speed. Pipelining really boosted the Intel as well as duel core since more instructions can be processed per clock cycle.

I'm not really up on the current Motorolla offerings but I think they might have RISC architecture so they initially had a jump on the Intel chips by processing more instructions per clock cycle.

I'm waiting for the 'computer on a chip' so we can put multiples inside one box for some real distributed processing.

Yao Sing
01-03-2008, 02:53 PM
"16 February 2006

First ever virus for Mac OS X discovered
OSX/Leap-A worm spreads via iChat instant messaging software

OSX/Leap-A uses an image of a JPEG icon to try and fool users.

Experts at SophosLabs™, Sophos's global network of virus, spyware and spam analysis centers, have announced the discovery of the first virus for the Apple Mac OS X platform. The virus, named OSX/Leap-A (also known as OSX/Oompa-A) spreads via instant messaging systems."

read article (http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2006/02/macosxleap.html)

Also-

A Bug in the Apple?
[ News ]
ITunes2, the new music software for Apple Computer's jukebox program, is having bug problems. To be precise, a bug in the software has wiped out data from the hard drives of a few people who have tried to install the new version of the program. Apple representatives have stated that the problem,...

Mac OS X Virus: Inqtana.A Worm
OSX/Inqtana.A is a Java-based worm that exploits the directory traversal vulnerability in the Bluetooth file and object exchange services in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

Leap.A aka Oompa-Loompa virus
The Leap.A (aka Oompa-Loompa) infects applications in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) running on PowerPC processors.

05.25.06 MacVirus.org News posted by YeeFam
New Malware - Mac OS X
New Malware discovered. Not dangerous if you do not click on executable. Also, you must acknowledge yes or ok to let it infect your computer.

more...

05.31.04 MacVirus.org News posted by admin
Widget Vulnerability - Tiger - Mac OS X Vulnerability.
With Apple's latest release of Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) along came the first security issue that effected the Apple portion of the operating system directly. The security issue revolved around the ability to automatically install Widgets when a user accessed a website that contained the code. Example c

Don't believe the hype.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
My Compaq Proliant duel Pentium Pro server was like that but you have to have software that will assign processes to each CPU.

Reply]
I always thought it was more that a software app took the path of least resistance. For example, if internet explorer was using one side of the core, then you started up Firefox, it would use the second side of the core because it was open, more so than one piece of software splitting itself up between the two cores.

So running only one program and you are only getting the data processing of 1.6 MZ, but you could run two programs at the same time and it gives the appearance of having double the speed because the second program is run unrestricted through the second core.

I have to say, even though my machine runs really good for my uses, I am really thinking of building out one of these Quad Core AMD Athons now that this thread got me looking into it.

http://multicore.amd.com/us-en/AMD-Multi-Core/Quad-Core-Advantage/Spider.aspx

I wonder how much extra power they use? If I put one in my laptop, would the battery go dead twice as fast?

Yum Cha
01-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Baah! You PC Luddites are all worthless and weak.

And why? Well. let me go into detail.

Games, go ahead, play the games. I work with my Mac, it built a company for me, and bought me a nice house, feeds my kids, and even allows me a bit of travel, and real recreation. It started doing things a PC couldn't do, like Postscript, and it continues to break ground for Professionals exploring and creating products. IN the workplace, most pcs run office suite and their share of the enterprise software, whatever it is. BEAN COUNTING!!!! Kiddie GAMES!!!!

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!

Market share - Ok, so there's not a lot of room at the top. Macs have a 8-15% share of current sales, depending on who's statistics you are reading, but who are those users. How many PCs sit in cubicles, managing email and memos for Dilbert and his mates in Cubicle City from 9-5? Once unix based terminals distributed software come into their own, say good by to windows. The Unix conversion is already taking place. Windows is dead, say your kind words, reminisce, talk about all the great time you had setting up your firewall, antivirus, defrag, spyware sniffers, intrusion protection and event monitors, editing your registtry and searching for drivers, but its all coming to an end....waaaaaaa!!!!

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!

PC's are souped up and Macs aren't?

Fair enough - ever wonder why a Ferrari driver doesn't put nascar stickers on his fenders, hang fuzzy dice from the mirror, and talk about his twin-overhead cam, four barrel with a 4-16 rear end and custom exhaust? I bet you do. Keep wondering Rapid Roy, the stock car boy.

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!!

And you PC Geeks, talking about how customisable the PC is, how much software it runs, blah, blah, blah.... Newsflash 2008 - things change! Mac is Unix with a killer desktop. It runs all PC software out there, but hey, if you'd rather continue editing your registry, fine tuning your security and tweaking your processor instead of getting a job of work (or play) done, who am I to rain on your mobius strip.

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!!

Price - Macs are equal or less than comparably configured PC's. Of course, if you buy a Porsche in the first place its preferable to buying a VW Bug and building it up to a Porsche piece-by-piece, but hey, some people live for that kind of drama.. They are called PC Support Providers, and you Pay for their BMW's and geek shick lifestyle....

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!!

Performance - Mac towers are regularly the fastest desktop computers around in real-world testing (not the MHZ stakes used to fool the punters). Every once in awhile, a PC takes the crown away, for awhile, until the next Release. The US military uses Mac Servers for speed, reliability and security.

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!!

So, while you PC Geeks are trying to keep up with your upgrades and updates, trying to keep the your platform secure, sitting around with your mates talking about all your system profiles, performance enhancements and graphic card upgrades so you can play Dark Master Lord of the Dungeon Empire v25, we Mac users are loading our Ipods with some tunes so we can go out and train or working on delivering interactive media products and graphics instead of the operating system.

Yes, trapped in your sad pergatory between propping up your platform and trying to actually accomplish something that resembles real productivity, its no surprise that you quote 4 or 8 year old statistics about Macs, that you cling to your hard fought skills of PC Support because it makes you feel gifted and important in front of the secretary who can't get her email to work and its no surprise that you continue to justify yesterdays answers for today's questions.

After all, when you think about it, half the world if below average.

HEY DOUG MAVERICK - SUCK THIS. You're the only thing worse than a PC Geek.

CLFLPstudent
01-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Wow. Well said!

( except for the Doug Maverick part, I don't really know who he is)
-David

Yum Cha
01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
There are no virii. It's an impossible plural of virius (that too would be wrong as it would be a Group 2 verb IIRC so the plural would be virium). There are viri ('men' - plural of vir). Virus to the Romans meant toxicity so it had no plural. The plural of virus was formed when it was first attributed its modern meaning as a disease or agent of disease in 1728 (off the top of my head), and therefore is viruses. It has been noted that although virii and other pointless back-formations have come into use by some l33t computer users to denote a superiority of knowledge, it was coined as joke by l33t speakers and is still not recognised in ANY dictionary, and is frowned upon by most l33ters too. :p

You have been warned! :mad:

To a computer geek,
signed
a linguistics geek! :cool:
!

DOOH! Don't you just hate that. Guilty of Hypercorrection as charged.

Of course I could argue that languages are a constantly evolving proposition, and that words come into and drop out of the language daily.

Further, that virii is becoming so commonly used that it will no doubt someday stake its claim to being a 'real' word through popular application.

But, unfortunately, that would be simply rationalising my mistake, and I reckon you're too clever for that....

So, I'll simply learn from my many mistaki and continue.

:D:D:D:D

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Hmm, one post about AMD's new Quad Core platform and Yum Cha goes on the offensive defense.....what are you afraid of there Yummy?

Mr Punch
01-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Of course I could argue that languages are a constantly evolving proposition, and that words come into and drop out of the language daily.

Further, that virii is becoming so commonly used that it will no doubt someday stake its claim to being a 'real' word through popular application...Yee-ah... naaah! Virii was coined as a gag in the early '70s (I think virus for computers was '72 so near the original use probably) and it never became lingua franca after 35+ years of trying too hard...

So, I'll simply learn from my many mistaki and continue...LOL :D Good lad! And I won't try and talk any more on a computer thread...!

Mr Punch
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Baah! You PC Luddites are all worthless and weak...

HEY DOUG MAVERICK - SUCK THIS. You're the only thing worse than a PC Geek.LOL... I didn't say it... but now you come to mention it...!

CLFLPstudent
01-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Hmm, one post about AMD's new Quad Core platform and Yum Cha goes on the offensive defense.....what are you afraid of there Yummy?

Actually (http://www.apple.com/macpro/) Apple has quad and 8-core towers out already.

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Those are in the PC's too. Intell is an arms dealer arming both armies with the same weapons.

This basically makes the whole Mac VS. PC a mute argument...now they are powered by the same hardware...

http://gizmodo.com/338507/dream-pc-8+core-workstation-rocks-the-penryns-verdict-wow

David Jamieson
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
lol ya right. that might be the case for idiots.

ive never re installed my OS, i dont get spyware, viruses, worms etc.

Ive had my current machine for 4 years, when it was built by myself, everything was top o the line. All Ive done to it since then is get a new monitor, a second hard drive, some more memory, and new games.

oh btw I like to play games too. so for people like me with really nice PC's macs blow the fattest goats you can find.

Ditto. Never reinstalled an operating system on anything except my laptop and only to upgrade. And have only upgraded ram, hd's, vid acrds and hard drives all without any hassle.
I think the people taht have trouble with pcs suchas mr. fixed describes probably need a mac, they really don't deserve the power of the pc. lol :p

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 07:12 PM
My biggest problem with my PC has allways been under allocating hard drive space for the OS Which is solved now since it's being run by the old 40 gig.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
LOL!! I just thought of something, given the macs new use of the Intel quad core chipp... even *MAC* is switching over to PC's!! :D

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Can't beat em JOIN EM!!! :D

David Jamieson
01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Baah! You PC Luddites are all worthless and weak.

And why? Well. let me go into detail.

Games, go ahead, play the games. I work with my Mac, it built a company for me, and bought me a nice house, feeds my kids, and even allows me a bit of travel, and real recreation. It started doing things a PC couldn't do, like Postscript, and it continues to break ground for Professionals exploring and creating products. IN the workplace, most pcs run office suite and their share of the enterprise software, whatever it is. BEAN COUNTING!!!! Kiddie GAMES!!!!

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!

Market share - Ok, so there's not a lot of room at the top. Macs have a 8-15% share of current sales, depending on who's statistics you are reading, but who are those users. How many PCs sit in cubicles, managing email and memos for Dilbert and his mates in Cubicle City from 9-5? Once unix based terminals distributed software come into their own, say good by to windows. The Unix conversion is already taking place. Windows is dead, say your kind words, reminisce, talk about all the great time you had setting up your firewall, antivirus, defrag, spyware sniffers, intrusion protection and event monitors, editing your registtry and searching for drivers, but its all coming to an end....waaaaaaa!!!!

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!

PC's are souped up and Macs aren't?

Fair enough - ever wonder why a Ferrari driver doesn't put nascar stickers on his fenders, hang fuzzy dice from the mirror, and talk about his twin-overhead cam, four barrel with a 4-16 rear end and custom exhaust? I bet you do. Keep wondering Rapid Roy, the stock car boy.

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!!

And you PC Geeks, talking about how customisable the PC is, how much software it runs, blah, blah, blah.... Newsflash 2008 - things change! Mac is Unix with a killer desktop. It runs all PC software out there, but hey, if you'd rather continue editing your registry, fine tuning your security and tweaking your processor instead of getting a job of work (or play) done, who am I to rain on your mobius strip.

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!!

Price - Macs are equal or less than comparably configured PC's. Of course, if you buy a Porsche in the first place its preferable to buying a VW Bug and building it up to a Porsche piece-by-piece, but hey, some people live for that kind of drama.. They are called PC Support Providers, and you Pay for their BMW's and geek shick lifestyle....

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!!

Performance - Mac towers are regularly the fastest desktop computers around in real-world testing (not the MHZ stakes used to fool the punters). Every once in awhile, a PC takes the crown away, for awhile, until the next Release. The US military uses Mac Servers for speed, reliability and security.

WORTHLESS AND WEAK!!!!

So, while you PC Geeks are trying to keep up with your upgrades and updates, trying to keep the your platform secure, sitting around with your mates talking about all your system profiles, performance enhancements and graphic card upgrades so you can play Dark Master Lord of the Dungeon Empire v25, we Mac users are loading our Ipods with some tunes so we can go out and train or working on delivering interactive media products and graphics instead of the operating system.

Yes, trapped in your sad pergatory between propping up your platform and trying to actually accomplish something that resembles real productivity, its no surprise that you quote 4 or 8 year old statistics about Macs, that you cling to your hard fought skills of PC Support because it makes you feel gifted and important in front of the secretary who can't get her email to work and its no surprise that you continue to justify yesterdays answers for today's questions.

HEY DOUG MAVERICK - SUCK THIS. You're the only thing worse than a PC Geek.

tsk tsk, spoken like someone who never bothered to learn how to use a pc.

anyway, if macs are so great why have they only just broken an 8% market share after spending gabajillions on ads that target hipster dufuses.

I'd be willing to bet there are bigger and more powerful businesses than anything mac could even approach built on PC's(just about every business out there). lol. Great diatribe though. Just shortsighted, oh..and worthless and weak! :D like a mac! :D :D

p.s there isn't anything you can do on yoru mac that i can't do on my pc and to be clear, i can do more and it's more than just games. macs are 10 years ago in multimedia development and frankly i can't think of anything they really have an edge on except for pandering to the naive. :)

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 07:34 PM
If macs are so great, why are they using PC hardware now?

David Jamieson
01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
well because they have to. they dead ended on their own stuff and tere was nowhere to go. Not to mention that microsoft bailed them out not so long ago and now owns 23% of their collective asses. so, give it a little while and a mac will be something like a pc but more like a leapster. hahahaha

CLFLPstudent
01-03-2008, 09:11 PM
here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49585&highlight=PC)

here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48421&highlight=PC)

Here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46249&highlight=PC)

here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45826&highlight=PC)

here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44903&highlight=PC)

here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43318&highlight=PC)

here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40005&highlight=PC)

Well, there are a few PC problems that have popped up on the Kung Fu forums over the past few years. Imagine if this were a PC forum?
BTW, quite a few of them were your's RD :D

Apple has been using Intel chips for a few years, they outbid Motorola and won the contract. Funny thing is, since then Mac has been vulnerable to viruses :mad: Not that many, but a few. Nowhere nears as bad as the Windows/Intel combo though. If tweaking your system is your thing then fine, but this tweaking either leads to trouble, or is needed to avoid trouble. Don't need to do that with Mac OS 10.

RD -what in the world are you doing that you need 16 windows open at the same time? How much porn can one watch at a time? :confused:

-David

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
You want the list? OK,

1 Yahoo messenger

2 Sprint internet.

3-12 OS Charting service (Has anywhere form 4- to 10 Java charts of various futures markets all going at once monitoring markets I am either in, or thinking about getting in)

13-16 Three Fire Fox windows. 1 Yahoo dedicated to my Futures trading business, Futures source web site with 1-10 tabs open looking at various possible markets to enter in the next week. 2 a window logged into another Yahoo for my appraisal business, with 3-4 tabs open for various things needed for that, and 3. A window open Yahoo for personal e-mail and 3-4 tabs open for martial arts forums.

17-18 IE explorer because some of the Appraisal business stuff will not upload from Firefox, and one for Mapquest because it saves like crap from Firefox.

19 Outlook express

20 scene access to upload files to one of my clients.

21 ICImage to upload files to another of my clients

22 ADP Penpro (I write my estimates on it)

23 Photo transfer software to bring pic of wrecked cars into my PC from tha camera to later be sent to my clients via E-mial or one of the file transfer programs.

24 Windows explorer to find & move estimate and picture files around, find documents and various files for the appraisal business. I often have 3 of these open at once, all pointed to different folders.

25 Adobe reader, with 1 to 3 different documents open.

26 MS picture viewer

27 NADA auto value calculator.

28 Norton

29Zone alarm

30 Adaware

31 Spyware doctor

32 OO defrage (runs when the screen saver is on)

33 - 35+ Misc Invoices files, calenders outlook express e-mails that have been opened and not closed to I don't forget to do whatever it is I need to do with those files. MS FAx Viewer or Efax viewr, Google Earth for no real reason etc...

WOW, you had to make me look!! I almost have twice what I thought!! It's a miracle this little lap top never locks up with all that open!!!...Maybe Averetec is better than I gave it credit for!!!

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-03-2008, 09:41 PM
CLFLPstudent,

In all fairness, I built my PC out of scrap parts....all things considering the couple of configuration issues I have occasionally had are really not much to speak of, all things considering.

The PC platform itself deserves the credit for that because it is such a good, stable and reliable platform to build. So much, from so many sources all work well with each other with almost no conflict errors at all. Even an almost complete uneducated know nothing like me managed to build a pretty powerful one with almost no real problems..and I did it without an instruction manual. I just collected parts here and there as I found them for free and assembled them all.

I even garbage picked the case.

CLFLPstudent
01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Oh, my bad. I was thinking in Mac terms and thought you had 16+ IE windows open.

19 Outlook express
Ditch this one - a HUGE gateway for hackers and viruses. Get a better mail program.

-David

David Jamieson
01-04-2008, 05:47 AM
if i sold two macs and 500 pcs and one mac cam back for repair and 100 of teh pcs did too, then mac would be batting 50% in the failure area while the pcs would only be batting 20%.

PC's are more ubiquitous and so, you are going to find more people that have difficulty with them.

Macs are certainly not infalible and frankly, when they fail, they fail utterly. At least i can still use my pc even if my optical drive fails, unlike a mac, heck i could blow half my ram and it will still work, but not a mac.

ratios are very important to understand. :p

macs suck at most stuff and that's why they don't have the market share their groupies think they should have.

people who put some thought into it will turn away from a mac.

monji112000
01-04-2008, 07:34 AM
If macs are so great, why are they using PC hardware now?

OK against my better judgment I will continue the geek topic. its not PC hardware. Its intel hardware, and its because its cheaper than Motorola chips. If you actually look into the topic your talking about you will find that like all intel chips, they have a billion problems, while the old Motorola chips DON'T. Its a just simply a matter of $$. Intel is cheaper. Why do people talk about things they don't have a clue about?:confused:

The PC platform itself deserves the credit for that because it is such a good, stable and reliable platform to build. So much, from so many sources all work well with each other with almost no conflict errors at all. Even an almost complete uneducated know nothing like me managed to build a pretty powerful one with almost no real problems..and I did it without an instruction manual. I just collected parts here and there as I found them for free and assembled them all.

I even garbage picked the case.

Yah again it has nothing to do with the "platform". Look at the history of the two architectures. IBM got screwed, and MAC didn't... MAC kept everything most private.. they lost the big war because of it. So did IBM. My little nephew can put a PC together... you learn that in first grade with the blocks that are shaped like triangles, squares, circles ect..

Can't beat em JOIN EM!!! :D
Mac beat EM, thats the point. Mac beat the competitor, that competitor dropped out.. little small companies replaced it. It has little to do with whats better it has more to do with marketing, software (not current but years back), and who sold macs.

I'v Got everyone beat, I'm dual booting Gentoo and FreeBSD. I have a mac laptop and a IBM(what you call a PC) clone laptop.

Lucas
01-04-2008, 10:00 AM
what i find to be the most funny, are people who take the pc vs. mac thing seriously.

i mean cmon' who fuggin cares....if you dont use pc for high tech work....wtf would anyone give a two horse sh!t? they wouldnt.

not everyone is a computer nerd....

edit:

ps, im pretty sure im still a nerd, just not a computer nerd :P

David Jamieson
01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't think anyone takes it seriously really. I just think mac owners get irked when they're told they're on the losing team.

beat pcs? are you kidding? 8 % market share can hardly be considered a beating.

macs are simply for people who don't want to figure how to fully use a computer. They cost too much for what you get and are limited in the software that is available for them without actually having to learn something, which most mac users don't seem to like doing.

macs are for your mom to send email and surf knitting and recipe sites with a pretty clock and other superfluous meaningless crap on th desktop[ to twiddle with and go "oh that's neat".

I use both. Mac is beat, limited and when it comes to service and repair, forget it, just toss the dang thing and get a new one if you absolutely must have a mac. :p

brothernumber9
01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
This thread has actually made me consider getting an apple computer once again.

It has been years. I used to be a devout Mac guy, but wanted to play cool games like Descent, and Doom, Duke Nuke em, so I switched to a PC. I no longer care to play games on any of my PC's outside of Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Flash games that any emulator can run.

I am way out of touch with the Mac OS's. To hear they are running off of a FreeBSD Kernel is enticing. I always liked the ideas of OpenSource coding and such.
Is the OS that much different in interface now? Is it more than just Program, Preferences, and Extensions now? I always thought the file structure of MacOS were far more organized and efficient than Windows.

It seems though from an initial glimpse that Macs are much more expensive than PC's on the cheap end, unless someone can point to a good site.

Yum Cha
01-04-2008, 07:19 PM

hahahah.....just afraid of losing my edge mate, just afraid of losing my edge..;)

Yum Cha
01-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Those are in the PC's too. Intell is an arms dealer arming both armies with the same weapons.

This basically makes the whole Mac VS. PC a mute argument...now they are powered by the same hardware...

http://gizmodo.com/338507/dream-pc-8+core-workstation-rocks-the-penryns-verdict-wow

Shhhhhh!!!! There you go, spoiling all the fun.... ITS NOT TRUE!! Macs have a soul chip.

Yum Cha
01-04-2008, 08:06 PM
David - why bless your heart. By now you know how I love a good rant....:D

So, too good for a Mac are you? Just doesn't staisfy your nerd gene not being able to jump into regedit, or break to dos prompt? You obviously aren't a real geek, a UNIX geek, so why the pretense? :p

Of your many misinformed, inaccurate and partially accurate statements, there's one you seem to focus upon, the 8% marketshare.

As a Canadian, I find it totally reprehensible that you are touting the economic rationalist argument that poipularity make it somehow better. People use Macs, companys use PC's (for now).

For example, Isn't the Canadian population roughly 8% of the American population? Ready to migrate are you?

I believe Porsche has a bit less than 8% market share, as do Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, Bently, Rolls, etc. Following your argument, we should all drive Fiats because they have the largest market share?

I can appreciate you have trouble finding someone to fix your Mac. Most the "Mac simpleton Grandmas surfing for knitting recipes" can fix their own, and thus there is no tech support industry.

As a big strong he-geek who can build great towers of PC with his own bare hands, your argument goes more towards your own ignorance than to the Macs reliability. :p

And as for software, let me remind you, an Intel mac will run all the UNIX, PC, and Mac software you are likely to come across - out of the box.

So - David, face it, the forces of Mac are coming for you. I bet you already own an iPod. Thin end of the wedge mate, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated....

:D:D:D

David Jamieson
01-05-2008, 06:24 AM
bro#9 - trust me when i tell you that mac is no where near open source and never will be. That's contrary to the whole idea behind mac which is to make it so simple that a hamster couldn't fail at using it and when it doesn't work it doesn't work.

yum, I own mp3 players in three sizes, but my less technically inclined wife does own an ipod because i forced her to stop pirating tunes and use the ubiquitous monster that is itunes instead and now I don't have to do everything for her because it is all magnificently dumbed down.

not that she is dumb, she isn't, she's just technically challenged like virtually every single mac owner out here. :)

i don't see your point about canada? what has that got to do with the price of of the same hardware being doubled by apple and their crappy market share, products and multi million dollar ad campaign that still didn't get the results tht jobs really wanted which was near parity.

by the way, ipods are also crap. and once again, in true apple form, when they are done, they are done. expect about the same life span as a cheap cell phone from an ipod.

my oldest mp3 player (about 6 now) still works great and has out lived 2 ipods of my wife's.

mac = L :p

Yao Sing
01-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Apple had a good OS but proprietary hardware that left them marginalized. They eventually saw the writing on the wall and ported the OS to the Intel chip.

Unfortunately I think it was way too late in the game but you never know. I think the only reason they have the following they currently enjoy is due to the deals they made to get Macs into the schools.

Everyone graduating into the business world was forced to switch to PCs and the rest stuck with Macs. For awhile they dominated the graphics world but I'm not so sure that's true today.

Even with Final Cut being the video editor of choice in the classroom the big motion pictures, like the Spiderman flicks, are edited on Avid systems. So where does that leave Macs future? Especially with the growing popularity of free OS's like the different flavors of Linux?

Why buy a couple hundred licenses or Windows or OS X when you can get Red Hat Enterprise for free?

And how many home user actually own a licensed version of their OS? (Mac user 100%, Win users 10%)?

Yum Cha
01-05-2008, 06:32 PM
So, David, you misunderstand the beauty of women as well as Apple. Dude, is there no end to your geekdom??

You asked me about the relevancy of Canada in my last post, sorry, I forgot myself, you're right.

I certainly wasn't trying to make a comparison to the relationship between good things, small marketshare :p

This is a true story I SWEAR!!! Happend to my brother's friend's Sister's nephew.

PC Geek comes to work on a new bike. His mate says. "hey! Cool bike, where did you get it?"

PC Geek says, "I was walking to work, and this chick rolls up on it, throws it down, rips off her cloths and says to me 'take what you want!"

You know they make an anti-theft device for iPods, its a case that looks like a Zune.

Wait a minute, you use the market share argument to support your proposition that PC's are better, but a 90% marketshare for iPods somehow indicates they are inferior. :eek:

So, you hate women, you hate ipods, where do you come down on fuzzy kittens and ducklings? You brute.:D:D:D

Yao Sing:

From what I understand, one of the major reasons Apple switched to intel was for the video codexii (sorry, Punch, I just don't learn that good). It seems that there are a number of video codex that only run on an intel chipset, and Apple believes that video content will become more important. Yada Yada Yada.

jo
01-05-2008, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=
So, when I complain I am running slow, it's because I might be only running around 2.4-2.8...which is still loads faster than you....or your MAC could ever in a million years begin to dream of.

Out of the BOX we are faster than you, with plenty of room to go, and nothing holding us back.

Apparently, everything we need to do to stay virus and spyware free is all the same things YOU need to do too...we just have a bigger choice of options than you do.

This is why MACs only have a 3% market share.[/QUOTE]

You obviously know nothing of real world performance in computers.

Processor speed is not as important as bus speed.

Now ask me what bus speed is.

-jo