PDA

View Full Version : Dizziness/ Nausea

twktcc
04-05-2001, 02:56 PM
Hello all,
I have recently been learning a "sitting" qigong taught by my shi fu. Lately i have been getting very hot(whole body)/ dizzy/ nauseas about 10- 15 min. into it. Up to that point it is beautiful, then the dizziness/ nausea creeps in. I close out and stop. I try to reach the 20 minute minimum at least. This has just started happening this week out of the blue.

My shi fu says she feels it is my body healing and if i need to puke, let it out, dont hold it in. Hehe, right in the middle of class ??? Yuck.

I went thru some serious lower back/ kidney pain for the first two weeks, as well as other aches, pains, heat, cold, etc. in various areas (healing many years of external arts injuries). Now for the most part the discomfort is gone and it feels great, untill it doesnt.
Anyone ever have simillar experience?
Regards,
Dave

"Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries"

GLW
04-05-2001, 05:19 PM
What you are describing is remotely possible for it to be your body healing...but highly unlikely.

In all probability, what you are describing are Qi Gong side effects indicating you are practicing wrong or doing a type of Qi Gong that is not compatible with your body or emotional state.

I would recommend you to change methods AFTER you stop for a week or two.

If it is a Qi Gong side effect, continuing what you are doing will eventually lead to damage to your overall health. This is one of the reasons that correct training and the guidance of a teacher is required. Even better is the guidance of a teacher who is a doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine (for example, most people can do Qi Gong method XYZ, person A has asthma, person A tries Qi Gong XYZ and he has asthma problems, continuing on could be fatal, checking with teacher, he is told to continue, checking with TCM doctor, he finds that before he can do Qi Gong XYZ, he must do another type of Qi Gong to tonify his lungs).

The stopping is required so your body can have time to stabilize and return to a balance.

Changing methods is probably a good idea but if not that, you may consider trying shorter sessions and working up even more slowly than you think you should.

Also, not everyone is cut out for sitting or still Qi Gong. IT is one of the most common forms of Qi Gong, but there are some people who do not work well this way and MUST do moving Qi Gong. For example, I had a classmate who was VERY hyper. She was never taught still Qi Gong because she would have been a prime candidate for problems. I would have been an unnatural state for her to TRY to be still.

I never knew this topic was so complex until learning from my current teacher who is a doctor of TCM and one of the founding teachers of one of the major colleges of TCM in China as well as a martial arts and Qi Gong master of some renown.

Even with his training, I have been instructed on which types of students to avoid teaching due to potential medical problems. All of this after over a quarter of a century of training.

Exercise caution. Feelings that are unpleasant in Qi Gong practice are almost always indicators of bad things.

twktcc
04-05-2001, 05:36 PM
Your reply is very informative.
However, i have been doing this sitting qigong for about a month, daily, for at least the 20 min minimum. All the "growing pains" went away and i was up to 45 min. This just happened two days ago.
Untill this occured eveything was great !
BTW, my shi fu is very knowledgable in taiji/ qigong/ and tcm as well. :)
I wouldnt do this otherwise. I am just seeking knowledge, and there is a language barrier which is sometimes hard to get through :(
Usually one of her other students is there to help translate but not for the last few classes.
Here is a little more info.... Two days ago in class, I was "thinking about my kidneys" while doing the qigong. Actually thinking of my "qi" going there, as this is a weak area for me. I prolly shouldnt have.... but i did.
I may have caused a chnge in flow direction inadvertantly. Any thoughts ?
Regards,
Dave

GLW
04-05-2001, 06:58 PM
at the stage you are at, trying to direct Qi is not a good thing to do. Relaxing and trying to still the mind to no thought is a better plan as that almost never leads to side effects.

It sounds like you described my other hunch which is you changing how you did something. By focusing on an organ or body part incorrectly or at the wrong time, you can inadvertently cause a blockage of flow and then this can persist and cause a stagnation of Qi. Qi Stagnation in the Kidney area with a blockage can definitely cause dizziness and nausea.

So, stopping for a few days or having a TCM doctor check you and doing either herbs or acupuncture for any blockage would help if this is what it is. Then chalk it up under the topic of what I have learned NOT to do and resume training.

This is exactly why my teachers always say don't injure...1 day of injury is 10 days of recovery.

Good luck.

twktcc
04-05-2001, 10:23 PM
Yes i will definitly chalk this up to things ill never do again. Holy sh!t this has really messed me up.
I still a lightheaded feeling/ slight headache/ and queezy feeling three days later, and im sweating like crazy without doing anything !
Yikes !
This is some serious stuff for sure. Non-believers beware ! :)
Regards,
Dave

sifuskafar
04-28-2001, 04:41 AM
You did too much too soon. You created an excess.
Too Yang.
Plateaux your work. Don't advance. Be comfortable doing enough. Not pursuing to do more.

Be more cautious.

Sifu