PDA

View Full Version : What Foods & Drinks Should Be Avoided....

Motion
04-12-2001, 04:53 PM
When practicing Qi Gong exercises? I had a video
of Qi Gong exercises,and I remember it saying that there were certain foods that should be avoided when practicing Qi gong exercises,because they interferred with the flow of chi. I think they said that fried foods and soft drinks were some,but I can't remember what others it mentioned. Does anyone know anything about what
other foods & drinks to avoid during Qi gong practice?

Repulsive Monkey
04-12-2001, 11:43 PM
Find any good book on Chinese Medicine, and it will usually tell you about "Hot" and "Cold" generating foods. Depending on your current disposition generally eating hot foods when you already have heat related imbalances in your body will create further heat and cultivate problems in your health. Cold food in general aswell as before doing internal work can slow down and have a constricting effect inside the body, again hot spicy food may agitate Stomach and/or Spleen Qi and may have undesirable effects too.

The biggest problem with foods though I suspect would be dairy products and so named "Damp" forming foods which generally slow the body down and reduce clarity in the body.

So it all depends upob ones current propensities and the needs that the body should observe to keep things in balance. Common sense really, if you are going to generate a modicum of heat in your practice you don't really want to start off with too much heat in the body from hot spicy foods, yet at the same time if you partake in icy cold foods, then the body has to work extra hard to raise the tempeerature to a level necessary for Qi movement.

origenx
04-24-2001, 07:39 PM
Hmm, that's not quite what I heard. As far as literally hot/cold foods & drinks - I heard you shouldn't eat or drink cold things AFTER your qi has been excited from qigong, exercise or s*x. That's like shutting the pipe or hitting the brakes just after you've started up. Anyone else hear this too?

Repulsive Monkey
04-25-2001, 11:08 AM
Cold foods after Qi exercises constrict, and hot foods mat cause excess heat. So warm or room temperature food and drinks are the best .

Kung Lek
04-26-2001, 11:47 PM
hi-

I have heard a plethora of advice about eating and drinking in context to martial prcatice, yogic practice and Chi Kung.

out of all of them I have distilled this.

eat cooked food.

eat more yellow vegetables than others and avoid totally raw veggies as they are harder to digest.
yellow veggies are like carrots, beans essentially not green leafies, broccoli etc.

do not eat excessive sugar.

do not eat excessive salt.

don't drink cold ("temperature") drinks before or after a workout for at least two hours and in fact try to drink things that are closer to room temperature.

don't drink excessively hot drinks (temperature).
tea can be at the same temperature as your body which will make it plesently warm but not hot.

don't drink to much fluid when you eat your food as it dilutes the digestive liquids and extends the time to digest the food. Tea in small amounts to cleanse the pallete and wash down food is ok though.

best protien intake from flesh comes from fish, high protien/not much energy to digest.

second best is poultry

red meat uses almost as much energy to digest as you will get out of it and produces a greater quantity of waste.

dairy products in general are not good to eat on a regular basis, but in moderation, hard cheeses, eggs, and salt free butter are ok.

bread that is white with bleached flour is no good, eat whole grains and be restritive with bread intake. Bread contains a lot of gluten which in turn produces a lot of mucuss which "dampens" the body.

no milk or sugar in your tea, always drink it straight up. tea and coffee with milk in them have a tendency to bond the milk with the other liquid and thereby drag the milk through the liver where it should not be processed. It is hard on your liver.

and finally, eat only until your feel satisfied but never til you are full that you have to unbuckle your pants or feel discomfort from stomach distention.

peace

Kung Lek

Qiman
04-27-2001, 07:04 PM
Ok, now what about health shakes like Met-Rex? Should the same rules apply as food. Not an hour before or one hour after?