PDA

View Full Version : Can You Learn CLF From Videos??

KFNOOB
01-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Tat Ma Wong has a distant learning program with video tapes for 5 levels. I know this may be a dumb question but can (or has) anyone learn CLF from videos?

Fen
01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
It can be done... only if you have no other way of getting what you are looking for... But if you learn from video still take the time to go see Wong Sifu in CA, to make shere you are getting it right... But I would look in to the CLF school there 1st... This way if he/she is real so will you be... It will mean alot more to you and the CLF Family if it's not from Video classis...

~Jason

1bad65
01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Royal Dragoon is the guy to ask.

hskwarrior
01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
yeah there are alot of people today doing the long distance training videos on clf out there.

it depends on who you want to learn from.

even my lineage has long distance training.

but all beginners i think it would be hard because of lack of communication on the videos.

Shaolindynasty
01-04-2008, 06:13 PM
You can learn "something" from videos but...... Direct transmission is the only way to go. You will never get any good without it

hskwarrior
01-04-2008, 06:28 PM
actually, the latest trend is to get the long distance training tapes, and upload yourself doing it for the teacher, who then grades you, comments on things, and so forth.

i have things in private that i use as long distance training. and i also use gmail which has a instant chat function so i talk live to those who are learning from me.

Fox
01-04-2008, 08:45 PM
It is always better to learn from a legit teacher/intructor.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-04-2008, 09:01 PM
You can learn "something" from videos but...... Direct transmission is the only way to go. You will never get any good without it

Reply]
Agreed. I tried the whole video thing, and even with visits to the teacher on occasion, it was impossible to get it right. I had to go to good internal people locally to finally learn.

1bad65
01-04-2008, 09:18 PM
It is always better to learn from a legit teacher/intructor.

I actually agree with you here. :eek:

I have a feeling 2008 will be the Year of the Big Nothing. ;)

Fox
01-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I actually agree with you here. :eek:

I have a feeling 2008 will be the Year of the Big Nothing. ;)

I agree only with the legit teachings, As far as 2008 thats debatable.

I am not an Anthony nutrider :)

Fox
01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I have been offered more trainig in KFSS via webcam, I want to be one on one. It just doesn't seem right to me.

RD'S Alias - 1A
01-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Video is good if you like to collect forms...then you don't need to really memorize any. You can focus on the fighting.

1bad65
01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I am not an Anthony nutrider :)

Nor am I. :D

Fox
01-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Nor am I. :D

Good to know :p
No need to derail this thread with our petty disagreements.

Drake
01-05-2008, 02:18 AM
It's difficult if you have no MA background. I recommend GM Doc Fai Wong, seeing as he's a very good mentor for distance learning. Sifu Frank McCarthy is really good too. He uses a lot of YouTube to teach lessons.

I didn't like Master TMW's stuff. Great vids, but shoddy to nonexistant teacher/student interaction.

KFNOOB
01-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Do you know much about Doc Fai Wong's? Is it just forms? TMW is many forms and dificult to follow----great production quality. If you email DFW he answers quickly and told me he teaches CLF not Chop Suey. I know he is real deal, wondering if anyone has experience (gonna throw up a new thread asking).

Drake
01-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Do you know much about Doc Fai Wong's? Is it just forms? TMW is many forms and dificult to follow----great production quality. If you email DFW he answers quickly and told me he teaches CLF not Chop Suey. I know he is real deal, wondering if anyone has experience (gonna throw up a new thread asking).

He's on again off again with forms. He had me learn the basics (blocking, kicking,punching, stances), then a few forms, then the ng lun ma and ng lun choi. He won't let you go forward unless you have the techniques down, and he does cut up several of his forms into application drills. Best part about GM DFW is that he's very friendly, very helpful, and really makes you feel like part of his organization. He's also brutally honest. Can't beat that.

冠木侍
01-05-2008, 12:38 PM
It can be done... only if you have no other way of getting what you are looking for... But if you learn from video still take the time to go see Wong Sifu in CA, to make shere you are getting it right... But I would look in to the CLF school there 1st... This way if he/she is real so will you be... It will mean alot more to you and the CLF Family if it's not from Video classis...

~Jason

Master Wong has a a few schools in the Ca area, a school or two in Brazil and one in Connecticut. He is based in SF but is REALLY busy. I believe that I only met him about three times within a six month period.

He has great instructors that he personally trains (Sihings and Sijehs) who are very knowledgeable. There are also some Sifus there who are very good at what they do and are very devoted to Master Wong's teaching style. This is from the point-of-view of a former student.

I personally don't like to learn from videos. Sometimes the angles are off or stuff is not explained properly. You can really hurt yourself if you do the move incorrectly (especially anything dealing with weapons). But I've never actually viewed any of Master Tat-Mau Wong's instructional videos. He may do a good job of showing and explaining...

You should let us know how it goes. Try the videos, see if you can make it to one of the schools.

**I never got a chance to visity Master Doc-Fai Wong's school although I'm sure I passed on my travels throughout Sunset District. Oh well...as of now, I'm a long way from there....

Drake
01-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh yeah, and in all due fairness, Master TMW doesn't teach just forms on his tapes. Every one has new techniques, drills, an introduction to a cultural part of CLF, etc. His second tape, for example, has a good deal of time dedicated to chin na techniques, while another goes into detail about san shou, along with training guidance.

Master TMW makes great DL material. The interaction and feedback is lacking, and to me, that's vital, especially when you are out there on your own.

KFNOOB
01-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks Drake...I have the tapes and I believe they discontinued them as I cant see anything on distance learning on his site. I did call and they told me they are doing them this year. The tapes are high quslity (production wise). Im wondering how Doc Fai Wong's compare. DFW seems to communicate more. Any idea?

Drake
01-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Thanks Drake...I have the tapes and I believe they discontinued them as I cant see anything on distance learning on his site. I did call and they told me they are doing them this year. The tapes are high quslity (production wise). Im wondering how Doc Fai Wong's compare. DFW seems to communicate more. Any idea?

GM DFW expects you to take the initiative in your training. He doesn't go as deep in his vids as Master TMW, but Master TMW only has five tapes, while GM DFW has numerous videos, though you will spend much longer on GM DFW's, and they are much more inexpensive.

While I'd say my GM's DVDs aren't as high quality as Master TMW's, they are high enough quality, and really do teach you what you need to know. For instance, during GM DFW's vids, he performs a section of the ng lun choi, then stops to demonstrate a practical application of that part of the form. It's up to you to come up with some good drills. You don't need more training information on the techniques, because it's all covered in his basics DVD, and the drills are there, be it in the siu pau kuen, siu jin kuen, ng lun choi, ng lun ma, etc etc.

You may think that just forms are bad, but in reality, if you start dissecting the form, you'll find many practical applications and inspiration for dozens more.

As always, the best thing is the feedback. Because even if you watch all of Master TMW's vids, learn them, and mail in the exams, how do you know if you are performing the techniques correctly? That's a long way to backtrack if you did the basics wrong. GM DFW caught my mistakes right away, is always there to mentor and coach me, provides plenty of historical perspective, and suggest new ways of training. And that is the best benefit of them all.

Again... this is just one opinion. I'm not trashing Master TMW, but just stating my experiences. I'm sure attending his school in person would be an entirely different experience.

KFNOOB
01-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Are you learning CLF exclusively through DFW vids? If so, do you consider it effective? Im not trying to compete in anything, just want to learn. I attend another school/art so I get conditioning etc. In CLF, I was always intrigued so I want to learn...appreciate your feedback.

Drake
01-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Are you learning CLF exclusively through DFW vids? If so, do you consider it effective? Im not trying to compete in anything, just want to learn. I attend another school/art so I get conditioning etc. In CLF, I was always intrigued so I want to learn...appreciate your feedback.

That depends. Do you have any martial arts experience? If not, I strongly discourage distance learning. If you can, just take whatever you can in your area for a while, even if it's not your first choice.

I consider it effective only in that GM DFW has guided me to be more dilligent in my training, and perform a lot of what may seem to boring movements. His guidance, quick feedback, and a lot of sweat are what makes it effective. If Master TMW were to make his DL program more interactive, he'd have gold on his hands.

Drake
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Oh yeah.. and I do study exclusively through GM Doc Fai Wong. There are others who give me pointers as well. You know who you are.

Fen
01-08-2008, 10:28 AM
KFNOOB?

Did you go check out the CLF school in your area? Do they have a website?

~Jason

KFNOOB
01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
www.maxfit.us

Dont know what to make of it. It says he has extensive training, particularly with Chan Tai San but others here that know say thats an over statement.

sanjuro_ronin
01-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Here is the thing about video/dvd training, IF you have some sort of point of reference ( Judo background learning BJJ, Wrestling back ground learning submission grappling for example) AND IF you have people ( not just one) to train with AND IF you are doing this for you OWN PERSONAL training and development, THEN video/dvd training is fine.

The better your starting off point and the better your training partners, the better you will get and the quicker you will get better.

Fen
01-08-2008, 12:02 PM
thanks KFNOOB... Now Maybe the CLF peeps can help you out...

Good luck in your training...
~Jason

Lucas
01-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Fen, I just noticed you also train in portland chinatown. where do you train at? also, what style(s) are represented at the school you attend.?