PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone compare these two schools

KFNOOB
01-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Looking into KF and Im new. would like to know if anyone can compare these schools and give thoughts. Much appreciated.

http://www.lingnamsiulum.com/

www.maxfit.us

CLFLPstudent
01-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Man, I wish KFM boards would implement IP logging. Then the trolls would have an extra step to take to hide their identity.

-David

KFNOOB
01-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Please stop following me around. Dont troll my thread bro.

CLFLPstudent
01-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Grow up.

You obviously have a history with Sifu Ross, you followed the thread on Bulshido, you read the threads here. Don't act like you don't know anything.

-David

KFNOOB
01-04-2008, 10:15 PM
You are off topic but I know through trying to find a **** Choy Lay Fut school that there's nutjobs instructing. All I want to know is about schools and all I get is how someone knows CTS longer than someone else and how so and so knew CTS before so and so. All baby **** and a real turn off to the art---and Ventura agrees. So who, exactly, needs to grow up?

Read the bullshido and this forum and let me know.

DISGUSTED POTENTIAL STUDENT!

CLFLPstudent
01-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Gus is Sifu. Rafael is Sifu. Steve is Sifu. Mike is Sifu. You are a forum king bashing old training brothers. Have you received the official "Bullshido" decision on Gus yet or are you STILL trying to prove your case trying to bash him?

As one of your trainings brothers said "this is an embarrasment".

Have a nice day David!

David, dont get your panties in a knot. Im just busting chops. You can have your thread back. Please tell us about your experiences with Chan Tai San (again).

In all seriousness, I wish you well.

See you in Plainview.

Copied from the CTS Stories thread. This doesn't show you have a beef with Sifu Ross?
Let's be honest.

-David

KFNOOB
01-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Also, go to any post and show me where I said anything bad to Ross before he attacked me. I asked questions. He did not like the Plainview guy and he attacked me for mentioning his school in my search. In fact, it looked as though he thought I was the Plainview guy and that may have been what got him crazy. Apparently he has something going on there but I have zero history with Mr Sifu David Ross.

KFNOOB
01-04-2008, 10:26 PM
"I have Tat Ma Wong tapes but its really only forms. Is that all there is in Choy Lay Fut? I searched for a school locally and all I can come up with is Maxfit. They teach Cjoy Lay Fut and Lama Pai (never heard of this) but instructor trained with Chan Tai San and I did research and got to this forum.

Also, there's a Shaolin Kempo place in Babylon but I cant figure out of that Kung Fu (Chinese) or not. It looks more like Hawiian or Ed Parker type but it's all mixed.

www.shaolinkempo.com

Is this Kung fu?"

I think this was my first post in that thread. Tell me what was wrong. I'll post his response.......

"someone's business must be doing really badly if they need to troll forums to try and drum up business

In my humble opinion, people should stick to the facts of their training, what they actually learned and rely upon their actual skills as opposed to making up stories, lying about credentials and trying to string along people making them think they can learn a system when the instructor only has 2 or 3 forms of said system

but that's just me.....

I am a student of Chan Tai San, I learned TONS of lama pai and only a little Choy Lay Fut. I don't claim to be a CLF person, I would never teach it. Having studied TONS of Lama, I can tell you that if you only have sahp jih, sahp jih kau da and siu lo han, you do NOT have Lama.... not by a long stretch"

Obviously he thought I was Plainview guy and that started the thing.

Fox
01-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Check out the schools and see which one you prefer. Check the prices and classe. Look at the certs as wll. You will know after a class or two,which one is best for you.

CLFLPstudent
01-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, for starters you could have put it in a new thread. Jumping into a thread - especially one like that - with these questions is wrong, as was told 'Goldberg', which is why people think you two are the same. This is why you were (are) called a troll.

Either you have no forum etiquette or you are a troll.

-David

KFNOOB
01-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Im a newbie so I guess its lack of forum etiquette. If you google Choy Lay fut, you stumble across all this CTS and Lama stuff and all this forum fighting. I came across CLF through Tat Wong.

I did put in a new thread after I realized it but the fight ensued anyway because David was hell bent on me being Rafael.

You know how I know all these names? From all this forum stuff or else I wouldnt even know what the heck any of this was.

In all seriousness, I am searching for a KF school.

CLFLPstudent
01-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I guess it's possible, but the amount of Trolling in the CTS threads has been at an all time high, so your timing stinks :rolleyes:

Do like others have stated - go to different schools in your area and check out the clases. After you experienced them first-hand come here and ask questions, but do it in a new thread.

-David

KFNOOB
01-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Will do........new threads only. If I go on Bullshido I get blasted for not being BJJ, here I must stay clear of CTS threads.

Im learning.

Fox
01-04-2008, 11:29 PM
You are right about the Bjj thing and Bullshido, been there and done that. Just ignore the idiots.

David Jamieson
01-05-2008, 09:10 AM
forum etiquette?

there's no such thing here. :p

cjurakpt
01-05-2008, 09:34 AM
in regards to the original question, comparing Ling Nam Siu Lum and Maxfitt, in my personal experience, the former has been around a long time - Michael Manganello has studied a variety of systems for many years, including some material with CTS at one point. I have never studied there, I have never touched hands with Sifu Manganello, but I have spoken to him on a few occasions informally - there was nothing about him that screamed fraud, he is, as far as I can tell, "authentic" in terms of what he has studied and what he has claimed; the fact that his school has been open in the same location for over 20 years probably means he's doing something right

as for Maxfitt, just to echo what was posted by Mike Parella, Raphael Gomez was a student at the Mineola school for a period of several years back in the early '90's; he was more physically talented than most, trained diligently when I was teaching there, and was in very good physical condition - I believe he was working as a personal trainer at the time; in the time that I was there, his level of exposure to CTS was as much as any other student who was around when sifu was there, so he received occasional instruction informally by CTS on whatever the class was working on at the time (e.g. - if we were doing some line basics, CTS would come over, make a few points, and then sit back down; or he'd correct someone's form; or show an application; or start talking about something irrelevant that he was annoyed about - my favorite when i was the one translating...); after he left, it was my understanding that he went and studied in NYC with Steve Ventura and so he certainly may have had some additional contact with CTS at that time;

Lama Pai Sifu
01-05-2008, 10:04 AM
as for Maxfitt, just to echo what was posted by Mike Parella, Raphael Gomez was a student at the Mineola school for a period of several years back in the early '90's; he was more physically talented than most, trained diligently when I was teaching there, and was in very good physical condition -

Actually, to be specific, Rafael began training with me in mid-late 92. He stopped training with me in early 94. I just rechecked. He trained with me for a total of less than 2 years.

I originally thought he trained with me for a little over 2 years, but I was incorrect. He probably was with me for about 20 months or so.

lkfmdc
01-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Rafael showed up to train with Ventura late 94/early 95 - I was teaching at Ventura's school at the time. Rafael was doing privates with Ventura. He had no contact with CTS..... thus, the claim made on his web site is dubious at best. Some other claims have been made but they are only "hearsay" (sp?)

Ling Nam has been around a LONG time, the instructor did study with CTS. He did study with Sifu Frank Yee, and many other well thought of instructors. I have known him for a very long time. He is "old school" and his material is "old school"

cjurakpt
01-05-2008, 03:57 PM
and with that, I think that the whole issue in regards to Maxfit can be put to rest, once and for all...

Lama Pai Sifu
01-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Yes. And for the record, I don't believe any of us have stated our opinions about Rafael Gomez or have discussed his martial arts skill or lack of. All that has been established is that there are some, shall we say 'misrepresentations' and 'exaggerations' posted on his website. Specifically in regards to the following:

He began training in the martial arts with me in 1992, NOT the 1970's.

He trained with me for less than 2 years from 92 - 94.

He trained with Ventura for a short time in 94/95.

He was NOT a student of Chan Tai-San.

He DID not train extensively with Chan Tai-San, but was exposed to him in the way that many of our students may have been.

Do not confuse this with any flame-war or fight. It is neither. It is a response to a question and a discussion of facts as it was asked of us. No character discussion or anything else. Only speaking about stuff we know and can verify.

A pic of Rafael training in my school as a yellow sash (belt) in late 1992.
He happens to be the newest member (lowest rank) of the school in that photo. Joel (the other Yellow Sash) actually enrolled just a few weeks before him.

Click this PIC (http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/longislandonline/RaphaelGomezSifuMichaelParrella.jpg)

cjurakpt
01-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Click this PIC (http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/longislandonline/RaphaelGomezSifuMichaelParrella.jpg)

OMG - that is a who's who of the old Mineola crew - Mike Schneid, Joey Rubino, Mike Franco, Dave (tall thin guy), Andre, and a bunch of other familiar faces i can't remember the names of...can't believe that was 15+ years ago...

Emil
01-06-2008, 08:41 AM
A friend of mine told me about this post.

That's me with glasses to the left of Sifu Parella's head. Thanks for posting the pic Sifu. Any others from the old school?
You probably dont remember me. I have fond memories of the school. Still have my old notebooks. My new Sifu still sees elements of my CLF training in my new style.
Meeting CTS in person was an honor.

15 years go by fast.

cjurakpt
01-06-2008, 11:02 AM

That's me with glasses to the left of Sifu Parella's head. Thanks for posting the pic Sifu. Any others from the old school?
You probably dont remember me. I have fond memories of the school. Still have my old notebooks. My new Sifu still sees elements of my CLF training in my new style.

15 years go by fast.

hi Emil - nice to have you aboard; I don't know if you remember me ("si-sook"), and unfortunately not seeing your full face I don't have an exact sense of who you were; but anyway, it would be great if you could post a little something about what you remember in terms of CTS when he would come out to the school (Tuesdays and Saturdays, if memory serves), just to get a different perspective on what it was like being around him from someone "in the ranks", so to speak; or any other stories about the "old days" you'd care to share...

Lama Pai Sifu
01-06-2008, 12:42 PM

15 years go by fast.

EMIL! How are you? Hope you are well. Happy new year and send me an email.

Sifu

Emil
01-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Sure I remember you Sisook. Cant believe you remember the days I came to train.:>)

I remember CTS as always having a smile on is face. When he would come to the school, He would always spend some
time with the students. Showing us a move or two. He spoke no English but somehow he got his point across. It helped
having Sifu Mike around to translate :>)

He had an aura about him. You knew he was "the real deal".
He attended a Christmas party at the school one year. He gave a little talk with Sifu Mike translating. There
was a humbleness about him. He was thankful for the freedom this country gave him and was proud of us for
continuing his legacy.A real grandfatherly figure. But CTS had a darker side if what was told me was correct. He had
actually killed in China. Real death matches. Close quarter, hand-to-hand combat with the Japanese in WW2. But you
would never believe it if you met him.
What about the time some thugs tried to mug him in the subway, Sifu. Not only did he give them a beating but he threw
one of them on the tracks and thought nothing of it :>)
Always enjoyed Sifu Mike's stories of when he was CTS disciple. One especially when Sifu Mike and others traveled
quite a distance I believe for a training session. He gave them 5 minutes worth and left :>)
I hope Im remembering these stories correctly.

Ahhh ...the Mineola school. Right above the pizzeria.
I remember my first day . Some hard core looking guys there.
I still have an old bottle of Sifu Mike's
homemade Dit Da Jao. The aroma would take me back like it was yesterday.We would rub it on our forarms
after doing forearm training. "Sam-sing"
would leave huge welts and bruises on our forearms. The look on peoples faces when they would see my
me forearms and ask me how I got them. I had bruised forearms for months.
Are you still teaching the Keun Jung or First Seed, I believe it was called, As a white sash form? I still
remember about the first 15 moves. Love to see it done again.

Being part of the Chinese New Year in Chinatown was a wonderful experience. The restaurant we ate at afterwards
served us chicken with the head still attached. freaked out a couple of vegetarians at our table.

Yeah, I had some good memories of the old school. It was difficult finding a replacement. I looked into some
karate schools in my area but nothing could compare. You see, Sifu Mike, you spoiled me. How can I eat hamburger
when I've tasted filet mignon. Fortunately, I came across Sifu Gregg Zilb. He, like yourself, has made Kung_Fu
his life. It's not a part-time gig for him. The style is lohan Chuan. The website is still under construction
www.shaolinlohan.com

I have to stop by someday and say hello

Lama Pai Sifu
01-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Emil, I'm glad to hear you are still training. I have heard good things about your current teacher, give him my regards!

I'm glad I had a positive impact on you, I certainly enjoyed training you and having you at the school.

Please stop by to visit when you have the chance. My best to you and your family and happy new year!!

Sifu

diego
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Sure I remember you Sisook. Cant believe you remember the days I came to train.:>)

I remember CTS as always having a smile on is face. When he would come to the school, He would always spend some
time with the students. Showing us a move or two. He spoke no English but somehow he got his point across. It helped
having Sifu Mike around to translate :>)

He had an aura about him. You knew he was "the real deal".
He attended a Christmas party at the school one year. He gave a little talk with Sifu Mike translating. There
was a humbleness about him. He was thankful for the freedom this country gave him and was proud of us for
continuing his legacy.A real grandfatherly figure. But CTS had a darker side if what was told me was correct. He had
actually killed in China. Real death matches. Close quarter, hand-to-hand combat with the Japanese in WW2. But you
would never believe it if you met him.
What about the time some thugs tried to mug him in the subway, Sifu. Not only did he give them a beating but he threw
one of them on the tracks and thought nothing of it :>)
Always enjoyed Sifu Mike's stories of when he was CTS disciple. One especially when Sifu Mike and others traveled
quite a distance I believe for a training session. He gave them 5 minutes worth and left :>)
I hope Im remembering these stories correctly.

Ahhh ...the Mineola school. Right above the pizzeria.
I remember my first day . Some hard core looking guys there.
I still have an old bottle of Sifu Mike's
homemade Dit Da Jao. The aroma would take me back like it was yesterday.We would rub it on our forarms
after doing forearm training. "Sam-sing"
would leave huge welts and bruises on our forearms. The look on peoples faces when they would see my
me forearms and ask me how I got them. I had bruised forearms for months.
Are you still teaching the Keun Jung or First Seed, I believe it was called, As a white sash form? I still
remember about the first 15 moves. Love to see it done again.

Being part of the Chinese New Year in Chinatown was a wonderful experience. The restaurant we ate at afterwards
served us chicken with the head still attached. freaked out a couple of vegetarians at our table.

Yeah, I had some good memories of the old school. It was difficult finding a replacement. I looked into some
karate schools in my area but nothing could compare. You see, Sifu Mike, you spoiled me. How can I eat hamburger
when I've tasted filet mignon. Fortunately, I came across Sifu Gregg Zilb. He, like yourself, has made Kung_Fu
his life. It's not a part-time gig for him. The style is lohan Chuan. The website is still under construction
www.shaolinlohan.com

I have to stop by someday and say hello
Who put together the graphics on your lohan page?...bloody awesome man:) I'm voting your site and empty flower as the most visually appealing kung fu site...My mom develops webpages and would love to see more of the developers work.