PDA

View Full Version : BaiSao?

Gurokevin
01-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Anyone ever heard of this? If so, could you please explain what it is?

Thanks

LoneTiger108
01-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I've heard of Baisi, but Baisao? Maybe something to do with defense, or are you talking of the hand?

Good luck...

CFT
01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Bai jong? The extended hands "ready" position?

Vajramusti
01-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Title of a small wing chun book by Herbert Maier published last year.

joy chaudhuri

CFT
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
What was it about Joy? Can't say that I've ever heard of the term before.

------------
Best Wishes,
Chee.

Vajramusti
01-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I had not heard the term either till I saw an ad for Maier's book. According to Herb , Bai sao wasa term used by Wang Kiu in his teaching and means something like "demonstration hand".
The book has a series of two person hand drills.

joy chaudhuri

couch
01-09-2008, 09:56 AM
I had not heard the term either till I saw an ad for Maier's book. According to Herb , Bai sao wasa term used by Wang Kiu in his teaching and means something like "demonstration hand".
The book has a series of two person hand drills.

joy chaudhuri

http://www.amazon.com/BaiSao-Herbert-N-Maier-Ph-D/dp/0979042119/ref=pd_bbs_1_s9_rk?ie=UTF8&s=books&s9r=8afea4c1112201c6011123f01a8b00fd&itemPosition=1&qid=1199897762&sr=1-1

There's the book.

Anyone read it?

Thanks,
Kenton Sefcik

KPM
01-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey Guys!

I thought this book looked interesting and would make a good addition to my Wing Chun library. So I went ahead and ordered it and it came yesterday. Joy is correct. Here is what the book's author says:

"Demonstration Hand. This is what the term 'BaiSao' means. GM Wang Kiu refers to BaiSao as an 'exercise.' He says that GM Yip Man used it to show people briefly and succintly what gives Wing Chun its character. This means that it is performed in a light and friendly manner, and intended to illustrate a discussion or explanation.........BaiSao is not a form--there is no fixed order to the movements. It is rather a set of talking points that link into a conversation in an ad hoc manner."

What follows in the book is a series of "BaiSao" exercises that illustrate certain WCK concepts. The basic neutral position is with both partners standing facing each other at Chi Sao range with both arms held in a Tan Sao position with each guy having one arm on the inside and one on the outside. Then various techniques are used much like in Chi Sao. But the impression I have is that the techniques are "demonstrated" and not "exchanged." In other words, this is a platform for illustrating good positioning and technique. This can then be carried forward to Chi Sao.

That's basically it. I may have more to say about it after I've actually had a chance to read the book cover to cover. :)

couch
01-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Hey Guys!

I thought this book looked interesting and would make a good addition to my Wing Chun library. So I went ahead and ordered it and it came yesterday. Joy is correct. Here is what the book's author says:

"Demonstration Hand. This is what the term 'BaiSao' means. GM Wang Kiu refers to BaiSao as an 'exercise.' He says that GM Yip Man used it to show people briefly and succintly what gives Wing Chun its character. This means that it is performed in a light and friendly manner, and intended to illustrate a discussion or explanation.........BaiSao is not a form--there is no fixed order to the movements. It is rather a set of talking points that link into a conversation in an ad hoc manner."

What follows in the book is a series of "BaiSao" exercises that illustrate certain WCK concepts. The basic neutral position is with both partners standing facing each other at Chi Sao range with both arms held in a Tan Sao position with each guy having one arm on the inside and one on the outside. Then various techniques are used much like in Chi Sao. But the impression I have is that the techniques are "demonstrated" and not "exchanged." In other words, this is a platform for illustrating good positioning and technique. This can then be carried forward to Chi Sao.

That's basically it. I may have more to say about it after I've actually had a chance to read the book cover to cover. :)

Thanks a lot for the info. Keep me (us) posted after you've read it. Do you feel it is like San Sik/Partner drills? Maybe I am misunderstanding when you say that that the techniques are not exchanged.

Best,
Kenton Sefcik