PDA

View Full Version : Second MMA attempt (vid)

Ray Pina
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3qOEmK1Yiuk

Lost by decision but am happy about the overall experience. Learned some things about myself and technique:

1) Torn my right shoulder first day training two weeks before the fight but didn't want to back out. Learned I could fight injured if need be in the future. Though my striking was off by about 20 percent, missed its crispness. Partly because of injury but also because I had no one to train standup with down here in PR or in NY before the fight.

2) My clinch work still sucks and needs A LOT of work! Getting thrown like a rag doll.

3) Though taken down and controlled a lot on the ground this experience wrestler couldn't tap me, so my ground game is getting better. What's more, I'm now love BJJ and will always study it.

4) Have improved my cardio and am much calmer. MY strategy was not to resist too much on the ground because I knew my opponent was a skilled wrestler, so wanted to make the most of being on the ground to reserve. It worked, but gave him a lot of points and the decision. I finished the final round strong but too little too late.

5) Everyone thinks I'm crazy for competing like this but I just found an MMA gym down here in PR. Actually going to be in NYC in two weeks so will train at Renzos but will pick up down here when I get back. Also, though I still have lots to learn I feel I'm improving and staying healthy and most of all enjoy it. Am now friends with the other guy and will stop by his gym while in PA for business.

6) Martial arts are great for the mind, body and soul

sanjuro_ronin
01-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Well done.
Always good to see anyone competing.
Losing sucks, but you don't get better without it.
Keep up the good work.

bodhitree
01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Ray, congrats for competing once again!

Did you ever think of working on your clinch and complementing your jiu jitsu with Judo? The two arts work well together, and judo focuses on the standing clinch a lot more, plus there are judo schools everywhere!

Here is a list of judo schools in Puerto Rico (http://www.judoinfo.com/contacts/browse.php?Country=Puerto%20Rico)

I hope this helps!

1bad65
01-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Partly because of injury but also because I had no one to train standup with down here in PR or in NY before the fight.

You can always find boxing gyms to work your hands and defense. They usually allow experienced visitors to spar, everyone is always looking for sparring partners.

And Renzo has a great MMA gym. I train at a Renzo affiliate academy myself.

Ray Pina
01-08-2008, 04:33 AM
There is a Thai Boxing program at Renzo's. Renzo's is great. Best gym I ever trained at. Awesome instructors. So many champions yet humble and willing to help.

I'm in an interesting situation. I live in the country, a small surf/farm community in Puerto Rico. When I come up to New York for a few weeks I train at Renzo's everyday but I focus on the Jiu-Jitsu. I've studies standup styles my whole life. To me, with only a few weeks at a time, going to Renzo's and then focusing on hands is like going to a great steakhouse and ordering sushi.

At the same time, the time off has effected my hands too. There is great boxing down here. It has taken me almost a year but I just found an MMA gym run by a purple belt who is the student of a black belt under Rorion. I'm going to NYC on the 14th for work and to train so will check it when I get back.

Most of all, I used to put a lot of pressure onmyself but as I get older my priorities have changed... not sure what they are... but keeping things in perspective, growing at my job, learning skills, being balanced... most important.

I know I've chosen a path that doesn't allow me to train 8 hours a day, 7 days a week.... but that is how I train when in NYC and I'm not the only one in the gym like that when I am there. But, at the same time, because I've been studying for well over 20 years.... I hang too. I'm not intimidated. I give it a go.

I'm going to win one of these one of these days:)

Ray Pina
01-08-2008, 04:34 AM
Great idea about the Judo!

Dragonzbane76
01-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Getting ready to do my first Amature MMA fight in April. Any tips/tricks you could pass on. I'm kinda nervous about it. I've fought in other events just not in the cage before and not everything at once kinda thing. Been working a lot of my ground game and been doing a lot of boxing lately.

Thanks...

bodhitree
01-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Getting ready to do my first Amature MMA fight in April. Any tips/tricks you could pass on. I'm kinda nervous about it. I've fought in other events just not in the cage before and not everything at once kinda thing. Been working a lot of my ground game and been doing a lot of boxing lately.

Thanks...

Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning,

sparring, sparring, sparring,

sanjuro_ronin
01-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning,

sparring, sparring, sparring,

The TAO of full contact !

Ray Pina
01-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Getting ready to do my first Amature MMA fight in April. Any tips/tricks you could pass on..

First and foremost... don't worry. One, I think MMA is a lot easier than San Da or kick boxing. Think of it like this... you train the ground all the time, just relax and do your thing. In San Da and kick boxing the action is stopped, and you're separated again... its that engagement after engagement where damage can be taken. You'll be fine. What's more they really protect the fighters at these venues. You'll have a positive experience for sure.

You probably have same day weigh ins. Make your weight, but don't go crazy starving yourself. If you can get with in 3lbs of your weigh in the night before, have a light good night snack and don't eat until weight in. You'll make weight for sure. Then get a small bowl of pasta, a small steak and salad... drink up the fluids.

Seriously. Don't be nervous. If you're training BJJ your probably roll to gas every day already. I trained at Renzo's for two weeks before my fight and my cardio was nuts. You've faced your worst scenario positions in your training already.

Lastly, I learned in this fight that three minutes is not a whole lot of time. My thinking was to let the guy spend energy on the ground, and it worked, but I waited to long to turn it on. Be active. But be stingy with your energy.

Best luck!

sanjuro_ronin
01-08-2008, 09:15 AM
To add to what Ray said, remember, the guy is there to beat you, not kill you.
Fight your fight, do what you do best.

MasterKiller
01-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Props, Ray.

You look in better physical shape now than ever.

Dragonzbane76
01-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks appreciate it. Yeah I'm not really worried about the ground. I have a pretty strong game there. I've been doing a lot of stand up, which I'm not bad at, just not tested in that field. Anyways I've got a good while before the fight so I'm going to be doing a lot of conditioning etc.

Thanks again.

Ray Pina
01-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Props, Ray.

You look in better physical shape now than ever.

Best shape of my life at 33. Most days, I wake up, go surf for two hours, come home... sits ups, push ups, leg lifts, chin ups... lunch, nap. Then surf again.

When I'm not in PR I'm in NY and then doing Jiu-Jitsu all day. This change in lifestyle has been the best, most mid- and life-expanding experience of my life. Put things in perspective. Humbled me while opening up other possibilities. Right now, I'm educating myself about the stock market. Figure since I can save some money down here if I put half the energy and excitement I've put into training into this I can maybe create an even bigger life for myself. Still working on the literature. That's still dream No. 1

If you ever in the mood for a fast, cheap get away, look me up. The north west side of PR is heaven. Magically place.

No_Know
01-08-2008, 04:36 PM
If you were blue gloves I thought usan elbow--circlepassed center line then down, to pry a high grab.

This guy got a better grip by tilting back then tossing you back, releasing then regrabbing Then went over. Perhaps if you thought to expect the hoist-repositioning the grip Hands on his shoulers /chest or if arms in nuckles down at ribs to push when person adjusts.

You seem to punch head only-ish. One hand head one hand chest so both can be kept high. alternate instead of chain when you expect the guy is a grabber. You got grabbed with your arms outside the grip. If you keep an elbow no higher than your solar plexus you might get grabbed with at least one arm in, but it's a folded armyou canpunch to the chin, pry that side neck/jaw press against his arm to keep the grab from completing as quickly...

Good luck. You can feel proud of your work in the ring from that video clip I just saw.

No_Know

Lucas
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Glad you still got them fightin pants. ;)

Looks good man. One thing is for sure, that guy didnt want to stay standing with you for very long. lol, then once on the ground he still didnt have much but positional dominence.

I would have liked to see another round thrown in there, I think you would have cleaned up.

keep on truckin bro

Ray Pina
01-17-2008, 08:59 AM
The was definitely a better grappler. And due to a torn rotator cuff, my striking wasn't where it could've or should've been. The right guy won that day. I learned what I needed to learn, proved some things to myself and see where I need to progress. Not bad for 9 minutes of action.