PDA

View Full Version : I Cant Find Any Choy Lay Fut Anywhere!!!

KFNOOB
01-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Spoke to Doc Fai Wong, he has a DVD set with a lot of communication with student but it's only forms. I have Tat Ma Wong videos. Only school I can find around is questionable from what I see on Bullshido (Greencloud) and there's another school in Plainview but he is a lineage jumper apparently. How does everyone learn CLF with so few schools? Im getting impresion that many use videos AFTER they have a real base in another CMA.

SenseiShellie
01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Spoke to Doc Fai Wong, he has a DVD set with a lot of communication with student but it's only forms. I have Tat Ma Wong videos. Only school I can find around is questionable from what I see on Bullshido (Greencloud) and there's another school in Plainview but he is a lineage jumper apparently. How does everyone learn CLF with so few schools? Im getting impresion that many use videos AFTER they have a real base in another CMA.

Where are you located?

CLFNole
01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Most of us study under a sifu and have so for a long time. Few people learn via videos as that can only take you so far even if you do have a background in another style. If you don't have CLF in your area you have a few choices:

1) pick another style
2) move
3) videos, books & DVDs

Personally I think having a sifu is the most important thing if you truly want to understand a style. I have been doing CLF for around 15 years and I always learn something new. There is plenty of CLF around if you are in the right places. If you live in the middle of a corn field in Iowa you are SOL but it's out there.

Yao Sing
01-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Generally, the teacher is more important than the style.

IOW, stop banging your head against the wall insisting on a specific style and go train with the best you can find locally.

Either that or move to where a good CLF teacher lives. It's that simple.

Drake
01-07-2008, 09:42 PM
GM DFW is in China right now, so while you may have e-mailed him, but I highly doubt you spoke to him. He's not only forms, and please don't spread rumors to that extent.

CLFNole is right. You miss out by not having a Sifu around. I say stop focusing on CLF if you can't find a school. Before I settled with CLF, I studied with a Mantis guy who was also in the military like me, and it made a world of difference having him there. Same as when I studied under my first Sifu and friend before I joined the Army.

You needn't be heavily concerned about "lineage jumping" or things like that. You are there to learn the basics right now anyway. Get that Sifu/student time.

KFNOOB
01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
DFW told me himself that his DVDs are mainly forms. He said that if you went to his school you'd get two person drills, sparring etc. The tapes are mainly forms. this is what he said so its not a "rumor". You have the tapes so Im not saying you dont know---but this is what he told me directly.

Drake
01-07-2008, 09:57 PM
The training isn't only forms. The very first DVD, and the very first thing you have to send him is basic blocking, strikes, stances and kicks.

Of course you can't spar or do two man drills if you are alone.

B-Rad
01-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Does it show any kind of application of the techniques though? I think that's the main question. Individual drills/techniques done in the air are along the lines of form work (just simpler).

KFNOOB
01-07-2008, 10:19 PM
There are DFW clips on youtube, are those the DVDs or similar?

Drake
01-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Does it show any kind of application of the techniques though? I think that's the main question. Individual drills/techniques done in the air are along the lines of form work (just simpler).

Yes. GM DFW always shows the form, then breaks it down into individual applications. For example, the ng lun choi has a section where there is a left chin nau, left poon kiu (Right diu ma), followed by a tsop with the right hand (Say Ping Ma), the person then turns around with a left poon kiu and a sow choi. This is part of the ng lun ma, but also a drill in itself.

What are you looking for in CLF, KFNOOB? I do it because I enjoy it. I already know how to carry myself in combat. I just enjoy the health, flexibility increases, and a better sense of knowing myself.

Drake
01-08-2008, 12:52 AM
There are DFW clips on youtube, are those the DVDs or similar?

The ones where it's him or Jason at their studio are likely from the DVD, illegally posted.

And I forgot to mention...if you are interested in distance learning to be a better fighter, you'll be disappointed.

KFNOOB
01-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Drake, thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I study another art so Im getting conditioing and, what I believe to be, pretty decent self defense. I would take CLF (or any TCMA for that matter) for the same reasons you are...for the journey of knowledge and enjoyment. Flexibility is a big weakness so anything I do has that as a goal.

Drake
01-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Drake, thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I study another art so Im getting conditioing and, what I believe to be, pretty decent self defense. I would take CLF (or any TCMA for that matter) for the same reasons you are...for the journey of knowledge and enjoyment. Flexibility is a big weakness so anything I do has that as a goal.

Just stretch a lot...and kick. I kick 200+ times per session, since I have to kick more than Sifu Frank's students. HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT MR. I DO MY WALL BAG SET ON A TREE??? I'll start doing mine on freaking RABID MONKEYS. BEAT THAT ONE SIFU FRANK! BEAT THAT!

Drake
01-09-2008, 06:43 AM
KFNOOB,
I read in another post that you live on Long Island. Isn't that Lama Pai CLF guy there? He posts clips here all the time. Looks good enough to drop some $$.

hskwarrior
01-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Well Sir Drake,

How About This One?

You Have Not Reached A Proper Mastery Until The Tree's Kick Back.

Once The Tree's Kick Back, And You Effectively Defend Yourself Against Such A Worthy Opponent, Only Then Will You Be Allowed To Leave The Mounatin!:d

Drake
01-09-2008, 09:04 AM
But Masta - I Am Sick Of Da Mountain. Iz Cold And Rocky.

lianweizhi
08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Most of us study under a sifu and have so for a long time. Few people learn via videos as that can only take you so far even if you do have a background in another style. If you don't have CLF in your area you have a few choices:

1) pick another style
2) move
3) videos, books & DVDs

Personally I think having a sifu is the most important thing if you truly want to understand a style. I have been doing CLF for around 15 years and I always learn something new. There is plenty of CLF around if you are in the right places. If you live in the middle of a corn field in Iowa you are SOL but it's out there.

Actually, sisuk, I was recently in Marion, Iowa and found a handful of Chang Quan students who recently started learning CLF from a Master Tomkins. In their school, they had some photos up of their teacher with GM Lee Koon Hung and Sisuk Joe. I had to say that seeing that they had some connection to our family was almost as surprising as discovering that the head instructor of their school (a 26 year old blond kid from Cedar Rapids, Iowa) spoke fluent Mandarin!

Anyhow, just wanted to point out that there actually is some CLF out in the middle of "God's Country", as one of my mentors liked to put it!

Infrazael
08-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Where do you live KFNOOB?

CLFNole
08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Grant:

Are you sure it wasn't Li Siu Hung and Joe? That would make more sense.

L

Eric Olson
08-06-2008, 11:55 PM
If I were you I'd look for a good boxing school.

EO

lianweizhi
08-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Grant:

Are you sure it wasn't Li Siu Hung and Joe? That would make more sense.

L

Actually, yes I think it was. It's been a few months! D@mn these MBA classes - they're making my brain stupider!

Mano Mano
08-07-2008, 11:40 AM

EO I wouldn’t say you sound bitter, but you could sour a bag of lemons.

Infrazael
08-07-2008, 05:09 PM

EO

You used to be 100% pro CLF, what happened? I understand the whole boxing/MMA jumpship because I trained at a very good MMA gym for a year. It's insanely good training but I wouldn't say boxing > CLF.

For the ring yes, obviously, the sole intention of boxing is to be used in the ring.

thailandgary
08-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Check the site www.ChoyLiFutMokHung.com Good instructional Choy Li Fut DVD.

CLFNole
08-07-2008, 08:05 PM
That is not CLF that is Wong Ark Yu's 5 Family Style, which I think is his own creation becuase the traditional 5 southern family styles were:

Hung, Lau, Choy, Lay & Mok. Fut Gar is not really a family style persay as Fut isn't a family name.

Eric Olson
08-09-2008, 09:10 PM
You used to be 100% pro CLF, what happened? I understand the whole boxing/MMA jumpship because I trained at a very good MMA gym for a year. It's insanely good training but I wouldn't say boxing > CLF.

For the ring yes, obviously, the sole intention of boxing is to be used in the ring.

Often a good boxing gym is a better choice. The reason is that in a boxing gym you get lots of sparring experience early on and don't usually get fed a bunch of unrealistic bull**** like you see in a lot martial arts schools.

Specific issues with CLF I've outlined before and won't do so again here. If you do a search you can probably find them.

EO

Eric Olson
08-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I wouldn’t say you sound bitter, but you could sour a bag of lemons.

Bitter and sour are different flavors;).

EO

Mano Mano
08-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Bitter and sour are different flavors;).

EOI agree but closely linked together than opposites.

Eric Olson
08-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I agree but closely linked together than opposites.

Haha...I didn't realize you were Alec Morris until I looked at your profile (mano mano sounds vaguely hispanic). I notice it says you aren't currently training in CLF either. Any particular reason?

Cheers,

EO

Infrazael
08-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Eric, are you currently doing boxing, MMA, or something different? Just curious.

I hope life is going well for you out East.

It's good to see you here again. :)

Eric Olson
08-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Eric, are you currently doing boxing, MMA, or something different? Just curious.

I hope life is going well for you out East.

It's good to see you here again. :)

No, I'm not doing any training right now. Since I went into grad school I had to cut back on some of my extracurricular activities. And also, having learned the better part of Sifu Mak's system I was having trouble figuring out my next goal in martial arts. As you know, I started moving towards teaching and competitive fighting but I don't think either of those is why I got into martial arts in the first place.

I still do alot of martial arts-style conditioning and when I graduate this winter I will probably start practicing my Chen Taiji again. I would eventually like to learn some BJJ because I think it would fit really well with the principles of Chen Taiji.

Finally, contrary to what some people might think I'm not really bitter about my experience in martial arts thus far. I owe alot to kung fu as it initially helped me get out of a couple of poor lifestyle choices and made me more self confident. But I think that eventually, mostly because of the people involved, it became a more negative force in my life, rather than a positive.

Take care,

EO

Mano Mano
08-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Haha...I didn't realize you were Alec Morris until I looked at your profile (mano mano sounds vaguely hispanic). I notice it says you aren't currently training in CLF either. Any particular reason?

Cheers,

EOThe reason I’m not currently doing CLF as I’m training in FMA to learn more about defence regarding weapons i.e. sticks & knives. My empty hand art is still CLF, however my views on weapons training has changed a great deal.

Eric Olson
08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
The reason I’m not currently doing CLF as I’m training in FMA to learn more about defence regarding weapons i.e. sticks & knives. My empty hand art is still CLF, however my views on weapons training has changed a great deal.

Cool Alec, best of luck in your training.

EO