PDA

View Full Version : Forgive My Weakness

hskwarrior
01-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, Most Of The People Here Know That I Was Paralyzed From The Waist Down Resulting From A 50 Foot Fall.

This Friday Marks The 20 Year Since I Was Release From The Hospital. 99% Of You Will Never Know What It Took To Get To Where I'm At Today, Or How Hard It Was In Light Of Everyone Else Trying To GET YOU TO Accept Your Fate.

I Am Posting This, Because Most Of Us Here Are Very Passionate About Our Martial Arts. Regardless Of What Skill Level, Style, Lineage Or What Ever, I'd Like To Commend You All For Doing What You're Doing. It Hard For Me Right Now, Because I Am Remembering What It Was Like 20 Years Ago, Being Pushed Out In A Wheel Chair After Spending 2 Months In The Hospital.

My Motivation Was Choy Lee Fut. The Day They Said I'd Never Walk Again, I Told Them To Eff Off, Because Nothing Will Stop Me From Practicing My Clf.

It's A Great Thing To See All The New, Younger Generations Getting Involved With Martial Arts. But Take It From Me, There Will Be Times Things Get Hard, And You Say "i Just Can't Do It." Well, If I Could Do It You Could Do It.

So To People Like Drake, And Others Who Are New To This, Keep Up The Good Work. You Don't Realize How Important Your Legs Are To You Until You Lose Them.

Sorry, But If You Have No Clue To What Its Like In My Shoes, And Walked The Road I've Walked To Get Right Here, Please Just Try To Understand How Important It Is To Me.

hskwarrior
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
CLICK HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=south+san+francisco,+ca&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=37.655579,-122.405097&spn=0.001083,0.001599&z=19) TO SEE WHERE I FELL FROM

The Xia
01-08-2008, 05:47 PM
You often see, hear or read about masters who have done all sorts of things and have all sorts of abilities but I find it rare that people talk or write about struggles and obstacles they have overcome. It’s great to hear about martial artists who overcome things. Your story is extreme and highly inspirational.

diego
01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Glad to hear you are comfortable training again...I've had a foot injury for two weeks now, just started training three days ago, but the more I train the longer it takes to heal...

What was the routine like when you used your Choy Li Fut to rehab your spine?.:)

Eddie
01-09-2008, 02:35 AM
I know you always said 50foot, but for us who use the metric system, It never really sank in how high that really was. Just did a conversion to m, and I realize you must have fell something like 5 stories (15 m). That’s pretty high.
Good for you on what you have done. Congrats on your victory anniversary ;)

hskwarrior
01-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Thanks, folks. yeah this time is always emotional for me. because being a young 19 year old martial artist who just lost his legs to be where i'm at today is a real effin triumph for me.

I've never fought for anything as hard as wanting to walk again.

for those i've never told.......within the first 3 hours of my initial surgery, the doctors came out and told my friends and my brother that i wasn't going to live. but if i did, i would never walk again. couldn't even open my eyes for a while since my head hit the concrete.

for some who may poo poo what i went thru, try being in my position and go thru what i did. this is one emotional experience......especially when everyone was trying to make me accept being in a wheel chair for the rest of my life.

try to imagine yourselves in my position. i did what 90 % of people couldn't. the road most people are afraid to travel down, i did it.

anyways, i just want most people to know that when you put your mind to something, no matter what it is, if you really really believe, more than your belief in god, we are capable of some many things. its just how bad do you want it.

still, my hope now is being able to help others who are in my position. if i could give them a glimpse of hope, of instill some inspiration and be instrumental in their recovery, then my job is done.

one of my triumph stories is.....i shared a room in the hospital with this one older man. cut his spinal cord 7 times after falling down the stairs. been paralyzed for most of his life. he saw me come in, and he saw me leave. he was there when i made the phone call to my best friend in tears begging him to bring me a gun.

This man was there when i told my doctors to go to hell that i was going to walk no matter what.

anyways, a year after i was released from the hospital, i was leaving a restaurant when the same man i shared a room with came WALKING in. of course he was on crutches, but i was like "look at you! you're walking."

he sat down and said these words to me, and till this day i will never forget them.

he said......"its because of YOU. you said you would do it and you did. if you could do it, then so can i"..............

and thats what i'd like to see happen for others before i die. thats my gift back to humanity........my own experience, and if that helps others.......fine. im happy with that.

hskwarrior
01-09-2008, 04:34 AM
and yeah eddie, 5 stories........

as i layed there, the paramedics keep telling me how lucky i was to be alive, because just two weeks prior, another guy fell from where i did, but he died......and two years before that another died.

hskwarrior
01-09-2008, 04:38 AM
diego,

i started out trying to do my clf using my canes still. i was so frightened to make any sudden movements out of fear of falling down.

finally, my sifu forced me to give up my canes, and i started out with JOT MA or horse stances.

little by little, i started moving better. but it was ruff. i'd line up with my classmates to do drills, and part way thru i'd get all messed up in the head because i wanted to do them the way everyone was doing them, but i couldn't.

i even broke down in class out of frustration.....but sifu always had a way of bringing me back to perspective. reminded me of what it took to get here and to never give up.

HA........now i'm back to doing semi tornado kicks.........

sanjuro_ronin
01-09-2008, 05:09 AM
Very inspirational Bro, thanks for sharing.
Words cheapen what you have accomplished so I will just say, well done.

Drake
01-09-2008, 05:13 AM
What Sifu Frank doesn't want you to know was...

He fell because he was caught up in a horde of lemmings, and was compelled to follow them!

Times like this I'm glad he can't come to Germany and "teach" me tiger techniques! :p

Eddie
01-09-2008, 05:30 AM
You once told me you get bad head aches? You still get those?

I suffer from terrible cluster migraines and often has back pain. My back pain is from previous sports injuries as well as a bad lei tai injury, but isn’t really that bad. Being tall, also adds to the back pain, specially when I haven’t trained in a while.

While my injuries aren’t nearly as bad as yours, I can just imagine how difficult it must have been for you to get over all of that and to still get over it.

Youre a tough guy for a Frisco kid who likes wearing purple baggies ;)

Inspiration to all of us

Jeong
01-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Sifu Frank - Thanks for sharing a little more of your story. I've always found it totally amazing and very inspirational, but never really heard more than the broad summary. You're an amazing example of human determination and what that can do for someone. Go CLF!

hskwarrior
01-09-2008, 08:51 AM
nah, eddie, no headaches here.

and pain? HA! i've come to a point where i laugh at pain. unless it completely wipes me out.

nah seriously, the pain i've endured over these 20 years has jaded me to what other people feel. my girl is one of those victims. she just suffered from kidney stones, and all i kept saying to her was deal with the pain, and be bigger than it. you control it it doesn't control you!

although it has worked for me, its not always wise to expect others to be that strong.

you know, i never like to insult others who have disabilities, like dupisha for example. he would have gotten my respect if he never attacked me or my lineage.
but i encourage people to never give up.......and even if you are in a wheel chair, i will still teach you choy lee fut.

anyways, don;'t be afraid to ask me any questions in regards to my accident......

sanjuro_ronin
01-09-2008, 08:58 AM
nah, eddie, no headaches here.

and pain? HA! i've come to a point where i laugh at pain. unless it completely wipes me out.

nah seriously, the pain i've endured over these 20 years has jaded me to what other people feel. my girl is one of those victims. she just suffered from kidney stones, and all i kept saying to her was deal with the pain, and be bigger than it. you control it it doesn't control you!

although it has worked for me, its not always wise to expect others to be that strong.

you know, i never like to insult others who have disabilities, like dupisha for example. he would have gotten my respect if he never attacked me or my lineage.
but i encourage people to never give up.......and even if you are in a wheel chair, i will still teach you choy lee fut.

anyways, don;'t be afraid to ask me any questions in regards to my accident......

I friend of mine had a bad tumble while skydiving, the landing you know ;)
Broke both his legs, one of them in 5 different places, broke his hip, pelvis and some assorted bones.
This was about 10 years ago, last year he got kidney stones, he said, and I quote " rather go through the skydive mishap than that ever again".
He passed quite a big one though.

Eddie
01-09-2008, 09:14 AM
ja kidney stones are a bummer. I get them too. My body produce to much acid or something, and they come back every now and then. I found a very good solution for it though.

Every night before you go to bed, drink a half a cup of HOT milk with a tod of Whiskey. Dont know why and how it works, but it does. In SA the government hospitals are like real 3rd world (like what you'd see on the movies) and private health care is **** expensive. I dotn have medical insursance for myself, so I cant afford to have somehting like kidney stones that keep comming back. This whiskey and milk trick, really works extremely well.

I dont take ANY alcohol other than this.

hskwarrior
01-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I've Never Had Them, But I've Heard That Kidney Stone Are Equivalent To Giving Birth. Some Would Prefer The Latter.

Good Thing, And For Anyone Else Who Might Suffer From Kidney Stones, A Hot Bath Will Ease The Pain Immediately. I Mean Immediately. Jump In The Tub, And All Will Be Good For The Time Being.

The Tub Helped My Girl Right Away To Deal With The Severe Pain.

hskwarrior
01-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Oh You Have The Acidic Ones Eddie. But Hey, When You Get Them Next Time, Try The Hot Bath Idea.

Most People Get The Calcium Ones. My Student Also Said, Apple Juice With A Table Spoon Of Olive Oil Will Help To Break Them Apart.

Wong Ying Home
01-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I have had kidney stones and yes they are horrendous pain.

HSK Warrior - You and the events in your life give inspiration to us all. Long may you continue to improve

hskwarrior
01-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks Wong Ying Home.

The Fighter In Me Will Never Go Away.

Hell, I Couldn't Even Commit Suicide Cause I'd Call Myself A Punk Arse Pushy!!!! (sorry).

I Was Thinking About Writing A Book On My Experience, Hoping To Get Others To Keep Up The Fight.

In Fact, I Have Privately Spoken And Inspired A Few People Who Are Having Surgeries, Or Experiencing The Same Things As I Am. I Mean I Had This One Woman Yelling Halleluyah And Crying In The Middle Of Mervyn's Department Store.

I Don't Know How To Go About It, But I'd Like To Help Others In My Situation, But I Think A Book Might Help.

Wong Ying Home
01-09-2008, 10:09 AM
A book , yes I highly suggest you do write something, what you have achieved shows that the only barriers are the ones that we set ourselves.

The book could provide a light to others in similar situations, and help them take a step further than they may have taken, potentially changing thier lives.

A very good thing to do, give back for the greater benefit of all human beings.

You get my vote and I 'll buy a copy....can I have it signed :-)

Go for it !!

hskwarrior
01-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Yes You Can.

First Copy.

diego
01-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Wong Ying Home.

The Fighter In Me Will Never Go Away.

Hell, I Couldn't Even Commit Suicide Cause I'd Call Myself A Punk Arse Pushy!!!! (sorry).

I Was Thinking About Writing A Book On My Experience, Hoping To Get Others To Keep Up The Fight.

In Fact, I Have Privately Spoken And Inspired A Few People Who Are Having Surgeries, Or Experiencing The Same Things As I Am. I Mean I Had This One Woman Yelling Halleluyah And Crying In The Middle Of Mervyn's Department Store.

I Don't Know How To Go About It, But I'd Like To Help Others In My Situation, But I Think A Book Might Help.

a book and a website...website would be good to pull in other martial artists/athletes who have rehabbed which could create future research projects...:)