PDA

View Full Version : Pak mei and one hand attack one defend

simondo
01-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Pak mei is the only sysyem i've come across where one learns to use only one hand to defend and the other to attack and then advances onto using both hands at a more advanced stage. I was wondering if any one could shed some light on the theory behind this???

ittokaos
01-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Um.. I don't really understand the question.

Are you saying(for sake of arguement) that my left would ONLY be allowed to defend and my right would ONLY be allowed to attack? Or is it that I can't defend or attack with both arms at the same time and if one is being used for defense I would have to use the other to attack?

simondo
01-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Yes, you only attack with your right and defend with the left, this is the way you begin to learn the system, this is the way i was taught and have evidence of other lineage doing the same. Not to say that as you advance you learn to use both. I was just wondering if anyone could shed light on the theory behind this method or add anything to this

ittokaos
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Well, that's news to me but considering the fact that my lineage is considered false(on this forum)I am not surprized(lol).

What lineage does yours come from? What are the other lineages that do this?

I was taught to use both for attack and defense so I guess I dont have an answer for you.

simondo
01-09-2008, 03:57 PM
My lineage is unknown but this method has been used in real situations to great effect by intermediate students and please check out this website and in particular article 11 in useful refs where you'll find this method mentioned.
There's some great stuff here

http://www.pakmei-uk.com/index-old.htm

Yum Cha
01-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Yes, I am familiar with this developmental stage in learning Pak Mei.

Only, I would not phrase it that way. I would say, one hand bridges, the other attacks. Than, as you develop, the attacking hand becomes the bridge, and the bridging hand attacks. This is common to a lot of bridge fighting strategies.

Itto -
Real lineage, that's the point! Just a bit clouded by politics. Its all good. We're all mates here, right? :D

ittokaos
01-09-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, it's all good. Politics just get in the way. As long as we all are following the poems, it's all White Eyebrow.

I read the articles, they were pretty good. It is an interesting way to train.

Yum Cha
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Poems??? are there Poems???:D:D:D

I think most of us have been exposed to the "Kau La, Sut Choi" principle? That's an example of what Simondo is talking about.

And re that article - some bizarre stances in the photos....

Wong Ying Home
01-10-2008, 02:48 AM

That's SiFu Dave Stevens site, his Bak Mei is excellent very very good indeed, he is also very skilled in Dit Dar.

Good to see his school getting some exposure

Lama Pai Sifu
01-10-2008, 06:49 AM

That's SiFu Dave Stevens site, his Bak Mei is excellent very very good indeed, he is also very skilled in Dit Dar.

Good to see his school getting some exposure

Nice site, good info and pics. I also thought that there were some funky stances on it. I liked the site...best of luck to him.

Ao Qin
01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I don't really understand the point...One hand attacks, the other defends?

Both must / should be equally responsive - both hands should drill attack / defense equally. "forms" are generally taught one side only (right 90%), but if you are a good teacher, you stress integration / using both sides equally?

Cheers - AQ