PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the Wang Lang Memorial

mantisfamilyman
01-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Is the statue of Wang Lang at Lao Shan in Shandong difficult to locate?

B.Tunks
01-12-2008, 04:22 AM
It's very easy to find and is a big tourist attraction. Ask anyone at the mountain.

BT

mantisfamilyman
01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Thank you BT.

mantisfamilyman
01-12-2008, 07:37 PM
My students and I are of the WHF/LGY lineage, and are approximately 14 in total planning a pilgrammage trip to Hong Kong and China at Spring time.

One week Hong Kong, One week Shandong, one week Beijing.

We want to focus on Northern Praying Mantis, Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan, and Chinese culture.

Any viable current interesting suggestions as to destinations/contacts while in these locations?

Qixing Tanglang
01-13-2008, 04:31 AM
If you guys are doing the China / Tanglang / Training tourist thing then drop me a line. Shanghai Chin Woo holds some history for our LGY lineage. Also a group of us in Shanghai from the LGY - LBY family line. qixing.tanglang@163.com

Cheers,
N

mantisfamilyman
01-13-2008, 06:06 PM
This first time we are doing Hong Kong, Shandong and Beijing. Next time we'll do Shanghai, hope to see you then.

Qixing Tanglang
01-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Have a good trip. I know there are at least one or two guys on this board who can help you from the Qingdao and Beijing side.

Cheers,
N

Redfish
01-16-2008, 01:50 AM
It's easy to find. I was up there three months ago or so.

First, you need to base you trip in Qingdao City. Laoshan is in a district of the city unsuprisingly called 'Laoshan District'. You'd do well to stay along Hong Kong Road somewhere along the east end past city hall and the horrific red May 4th monument.

Hire a mini bus or taxi to take you there. I just took the local public bus but it stopped at the park toll gates and didn't enter during winter season. I was then at the mercy of unofficial taxis.

The statue is at one of the big two sites within the park. It's by the Huayan Buddhist Temple. This is funny because a) Wang Lang is a legendary figure and b) his legend puts him at the Taoist Temple.

You can find a cartoony tourist map of the whole area online via google searches.

To be brutually honest - it's enough to go to the mountain and take in the amazing atmosphere, never mind the fake-a** monument. If you only have a one day trip there - better walk the complete trail at TaiQing - beautiful and rewarding and you can contemplate what it must have been like in the old Kung Fu days away from the vendors and rent-a-guides.

RF