PDA

View Full Version : allergies to dit da jow

deeperthantao
01-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I have been using jow for the last 2 months or so, and I have begun to develop something of an allergic reaction; minor nausea, cough, tightness of breath,

Anybody else experience this, are there any solutions?

lhommedieu
01-12-2008, 07:33 PM
I have been using jow for the last 2 months or so, and I have begun to develop something of an allergic reaction; minor nausea, cough, tightness of breath,

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

Have you tried stopping using your jow and seeing if you don't get the same reaction? It also would be good to know what is in your jow. If you're using a jow that's made for you in a Kung Fu school then your teacher ought to be aware of what ingredients might be causing the reaction, and change it accordingly. Is it home-made or or a patent formula? Some Chinese patents have been know to contain toxins like mercury, etc. If it is a patent, then I'd consider switching to a home-made product, and then trying the use/don't use reaction test. Knowing what's in the jow is probably the most important factor.

Some other considerations:

1. You may just be sensitive to some of the herbs in a particular jow. See above.

2. Your jow may be very strong (too strong) and contain herbs that are toxic above certain concentrations. The warming jows and the ones used for iron palm training, etc. often fall into this category. See above.

3. Are you using your jow on the chest or torso? This isn't a good idea as the herbs are absorbed directily into the area above the organs.

4. The skin is related to the Lung functions insofar as the skin assists in respiration, and the Lung meridian has internal connections with Ren 12 (the Front Mu point of the Stomach). Your symptons make sense in this context. Again, stop using the particular jow that you're using.

5. Your symptoms may be unrelated to the use of jow and you should see a doctor accordingly.

6. Your symptoms may be related to the use of your jow but may go beyond it just being a "minor" allergic reaction. Nausea, cough, tightness of breath, etc. are not minor symptoms and should be treated accordingly. Again, see the above, try the recommendations. and see a doctor if your symptoms persist.

Best,

Steve

cjurakpt
01-13-2008, 02:32 AM

first off, I firmly echo Steve - everything he said is spot on;

just a few other questions:
1) why do you attribute your symptoms to jow use in the first place? is it because you experience them immediately or very soon after you apply it?
2) when do you apply jow? before and / or after you train? I'm just wondering if your symptoms have anything to do with the type of activity you engage in: e.g. - do you do iron body training where you hit your torso repeatedly? that could also potentially produce all of the symptoms you describe
3) for how long have you been having the symptoms? (you said you've been using the jow / doing the related training for 2 months; how long have you had the symptoms though?)
4) when you do get your symptoms, how long do they last for? and have they been changing (e.g. - getting stronger, lasting longer)?
5) have you ever had similar symptoms before?
6) how old are you? do you and / or any members of your family have any history of cardiac issues? (standard questions a doc would ask you, I'm not implying anything)

finally, I agree with Steve's last point - a typical allergic reaction to something topical would be a local reaction: redness, itching, irritation etc. on the skin; what you describe sounds somewhat more global; if it were me, I would probably talk to my doc just to be on the safe side...

deeperthantao
01-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I have been conditioning my bridge a fair bit in the last two months, and my hands, the jow is used during and after conditioning.
There was no problem initially, but I can literally feel the jow when I use it. The symptoms occur right away, there is no redness or itch, just a feeling that is comparable to dehydration. This has been happening for the last 3 weeks or so. The symptoms begin right away and continue for some time a day or so.
I wouldn't say that the symptoms are changing but I imagine that if they are allergy related than they will worsen. I am 23 and there is no history of cardiac problems in my family.

I think to be safe, I will bring my recipe to a dit da doctor. Thanks for the info.

herb ox
01-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Allergic reactions or sensitivities to Jow are relatively, although your case sounds more like respiratory tract irritation than an allergy from the products absorbed cutaneously. I have observed a similar effect to what you describe after I would train iron palm - turned out to be a combination of mung bean dust and the jing jie in the formula, which goes strongly to the lungs.

Everyone is different, though and it is certainly worth your while to get a custom jow formulation per your individual constitution.

Some of my closest friends have jow allergies ;-) Repeated application of allergens can have some nasty results long term as illustrated in this thread: http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?p=834736#
good luck

herb ox

Golden Spider
01-17-2008, 12:50 AM
I've experienced allergic reaction to 'jow before; fish scale texture on my hands, red swollen patches over my wrists, ankles, and kidneys. Now with the same formula, none of that. It came, and went. ~All these effects within four days time, it was bad, so, I stopped using it. When I continued, about two months later, nothing.

tattooedmonk
01-17-2008, 02:23 AM
I've experienced allergic reaction to 'jow before; fish scale texture on my hands, red swollen patches over my wrists, ankles, and kidneys. Now with the same formula, none of that. It came, and went. ~All these effects within four days time, it was bad, so, I stopped using it. When I continued, about two months later, nothing.
Could have been a combination with something else that caused as negative chemical reaction. Or it could be that they are not related. You said it was the same formula ,but was it from the same batch?? It could be that the last batch was contaminated. There are many posibilities. Do you have any of it left?? What are the contents of the Jow ?? Do you know??It could be that you are allergic to something specific in the Jow and not the entire formula . Sometimes people substitute certain herbs that call for certain reactions. If it was a different batch then this could also be a possibility.Always do a patch test first ( a few times increasing the amount alittle @ a time . ) when you try these solutions just to see if you will have an allergic reaction to it . Do this before you rub it all over your body.

Golden Spider
01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Same formula, batch, jar, vodka, etc. Just poured the last of it yesterday. Moving on to a better formula. Musta' been the aconite...oh well.;)