PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Distance Learning

KFNOOB
01-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Can anyone recommend Wing Chun Distance Learning programs?

Would you say Wing Chun can be learned in this manner?

KPM
01-14-2008, 10:52 AM

I think WCK can be learned in this manner by a talented and motivated individual. You would also need a steady training partner (or several) that is also talented and motivated to follow along with you at each step of the way so you have someone to train with. Wing Chun is not a solo affair. You need a partner to train things with from the very beginning. I don't know of any current distance learning programs. Augustine Fong had one in the past and may still offer it. What I would recommend is to pick a lineage that has produced lots of commercially available DVDs and/or books. Buy these materials and begin to work on them. Then locate an instructor in that lineage and arrange to travel and meet with him/her for hands on training. There are several choices. One would be William Cheung's "Traditional Wing Chun." There are many DVDs and books available on his system. Another is the Wong Shun Leung approach to Yip Man Wing Chun. David Peterson has recently released seminar DVDs that are excellent, and Gary Lam has a whole series of DVDs that are excellent. Alan Gibson has a series of 3 books that talk about the system as well. There are other choices as well. Hope that helps.

Steeeve
01-14-2008, 02:07 PM
duncan Leung have also good instructionnal videos

But for sure you need a parnter for drills...

Steeve

donbdc
01-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I agree w/ KPM. I would add Randy Williams vids of course. Find a seef to work w/. Make road trips as frequently as possible w/ your training partners and keep at it.

Mike Sheng
01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Eddie Chong also does distance training.

Liddel
01-14-2008, 09:29 PM

IMHO - No.

LoneTiger108
01-15-2008, 05:48 AM

I think that learning how to copy images is a part of the process, but nothing can replace a live training partner and/or Sifu and elders. In some ways, distance learning happens all the time these days especially if you only put in 2-4 hours a week at a club. Advice on how to train at home etc is an example, but you still need to return to make any corrections under the guidance of someone with the experience.

DVD's alone will never cut it IMO.

donbdc
01-15-2008, 05:58 AM
The Dvd"s tapes books are used for reference material. I make contact w/ Randy monthly train 4 to 8 hrs w/ him and come home and work w/ my guys. I can't imagine how difficult it would be w/ less contact w/ my Seef. Also most of us have had WC background in other systems. Meaning I don't think you could start from absolute scratch in a long distance program. There is just too much to learn.
But I could be wrong, determination can never be underestimated.

sanjuro_ronin
01-15-2008, 05:59 AM

What prior MA experience do you have?

tjwingchun
01-15-2008, 06:35 AM

I think it can but it is so much more difficult, and what would really help would be a friend/training partner to learn along side, it is ok the learn forms etc in isolation but if you do not have the feedback of a practice partner and an understanding of feedback energies your techniques will lack practical usage.

If you want to try then I will help where I can.

Distance Wing is better than none at all :D

couch
01-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Distance Wing Chun is better than none at all :D

That's the truth. :)

KPM
01-15-2008, 10:08 AM
In some ways, distance learning happens all the time these days especially if you only put in 2-4 hours a week at a club. Advice on how to train at home etc is an example, but you still need to return to make any corrections under the guidance of someone with the experience.

That was an excellent point Spencer! Some people may only train at a given school once a week...or even twice...but train at home using DVDs and books as visual references. These people are in effect doing a "distance learning" program as I described it. :) Bottom-line is this....WCK can't be learned well solo or without some hands on instruction. The amount of that hands on instruction may vary according to circumstance. The only difference between "distance learning" and other training should be the frequency and amount of hands on instruction.

YungChun
01-15-2008, 02:50 PM

I would try to find someone who knows the system well, and who is closest to you or whom you are willing to travel to see a few times a year, etc.. Gary Lam offers some live in stuff, etc.. Then find at least one or more other folks who live near you who also want to train..

Where do you live?

If you must have WCK and can't/won't settle for something else that is near you then you must find someone and build a relationship with them.. Then you can travel once in a while to get some hands on and some corrections.. WCK is learned, to a large extent through contact and feel, thus the problem of "distance" learning. Of course there are many poor teachers out there and then even hands on may not produce the results one wants..

If you can get some help from a remote teacher, work on your own, and work with some partners then you have a chance.. You might also consider joining some kind of local fighting club at some point, just to get some fighting/sparring experience in when you and or your teacher feels you are ready.

If I can be of any further help feel free to PM me..