PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi Distance Learning

KFNOOB
01-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Can Tai Chi be learned via distance learning? No one seems to think any other MA can so Im asking about Tai Chi now.

If so, can you recommend an instructor that does Tai Chi Distance Learning?

cjurakpt
01-15-2008, 11:46 AM
you can gain the outward appearance rather easily from video, especially if you are a visual learner; however, videos are similar to books, in so far as when you ask them a question, they don't talk back...

Egg fu young
01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
you can gain the outward appearance rather easily from video, especially if you are a visual learner; however, videos are similar to books, in so far as when you ask them a question, they don't talk back...

It ends up being Choreography. But if you can occasionally attend a seminar or something to teach you the mindset it can be effective.

P.S. I once had a book that talked back. It scared me.

Henry123
01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Tai chi is a very difficult art to learn (most circular type arts has that tendency).
I cant honestly recomend one to learn tai chi by correspondence. If you have no instructor in your area I suppose you have no other alternative but correspondence.

If your going to learn Tai chi by correspondence (if there really is such a course) I would suggest you go for Yang style. Its the most popular style and you might be able to find an instructor one day if non is availible for you at this time. Its alot easier to learn than Chen style thats for sure.

brucereiter
01-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Can Tai Chi be learned via distance learning? No one seems to think any other MA can so Im asking about Tai Chi now.

If so, can you recommend an instructor that does Tai Chi Distance Learning?

no. not by yourself.

taijiman7777
01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I offer distance learning. It has some challenges and limitations. But it can be done.

The others who posted are correct about the difficulty in learning from a video or a book. It is difficult to learn without good feedback or training partners.

However, most taijiquan practice is solo practice. So it should be possible to learn something on your own, and I'm not just referring to the external form.

My students are scattered all over Canada and elsewhere. Driving to my school from Whitehorse takes about a week (one-way). So distance learning is definitely a time and money saver.

I offer online instruction using a combination of pre-recorded instructional videos, custom videos, and live video chat. Students send me video of themselves and I offer what corrections I can, either in a recorded response, email, live chat, or video chat. Sometimes I get a local student to help me demonstrate, and have the distant student work with a partner where they are.

The logistics of distance learning makes for some interesting challenges, even with the technology itself. But I have successfully done group lessons online. It isn't easy, and requires clearly defined protocol and rules for etiquette.