PDA

View Full Version : Buddhist meditations

prana
06-06-2001, 04:52 AM
I am sorry about "hi-jacking" all the other threads so I am starting this one, to prevent further hi-jacking.

What is occupying that corpse you call 'I' ?

Repulsive Monkey
06-06-2001, 10:22 AM
From another way it could be better to go even further and say what would you have left if you took away the "I". I feel the answer from the Mahamhudra and Dzogchen traditions (and I'm sure tonnes of others too!) would be, the primodial mind. The "I" is contained inside the primodial mind not the primodial Mind being occupied within the "I".The primodial mind is experienced when one quietens the everyday mind (including all facets like emotion,intellect,reasoning etc), this is what the Buddhists call emptying the mind.By staying in this state is calm abiding and then beyond that one is said to exprience the true nature of the mind, i.e. the natural/primodial mind. An excellent text on these matters is Kalu Rinpoche's "Illuminous Mind". Even HH Dalai Lama quotes Kalu Rinpoche's accomplishments as being equal to that of Jetsun Milarepa (one of Tibet's greatest Saints).

prana
06-07-2001, 05:26 AM
Repulsive Monkey,

Thanks for the insight, I found your answer profound. Although I have not followed the Dzogchen (perhaps I am just not familiar with the word) lineage of meditation, the practise involves first and foremost developing the ability for the winds to enter the central channel, thereby invoking the ability to remain aware through the process of sleep, and witholding Samadhi.

Though yet to discover, my belief is that the process of sleep is much similar to the path in the Bardo of the in-betweens, and if I may die in the right state of mind, I shall be able to die equanimous to the develish desires of my dreams, perhaps be able to recognize the process of dissolutions from and be reborn on the path to Buddhahood.

I guess this technique is in the lineage of the great Milarepa.

As far as comparing the two great saints, I bear respect and take refuge to all Sangha's who have given up wordly posessions for compassionate reason.

prana
06-13-2001, 02:58 AM
I decided to write (copy) some stuff which I regard is of great importance, whether you may find this disturbing or helpful, I can only wish its the latter.

The stages of Death
not in any particular order, not neccesarily in this order. Dissolution of lower chakkra to the higher chakras.

EARTH to WATER (Navel to Heart)
- Charaterised by Image of Mirage
- Body feels heavy and dead, as if a heavy weight

WATER TO FIRE (Heart to Throat)
- Image of Smokiness
- Bodily fluids dry out, eg tongue
- Numbness

FIRE to WIND (Throat to Middle Eye)
- Fireflies or sparks
- Cold
- Smell disappears

WIND to SPACE (Middle Eye to Crown Center)
- A Butter-flame
- External Breathing stops

At this point, all External functions have stopped....Person is pronounced dead.

White Bodhimind drops decends to Heart
- Image of White clear Sky

Red Bodhimind Drop ascends to Heart
- Sky full of orange skylight

Uniting of the two Male (White) and Female (Red) drops
- Pitch Darkness

Untieing of Heart knot
- The subtlest consciousness disperses
- Actual Death
- This experience cannot be described in words

It is therefore, believed that a dead person should not be disturbed or moved, for a few days after death as this may disturb the awareness of these subtle signs.

Most laymen, driven by their kamma's, miss this process, and am not able to recognise the death, and immediately become attached to another being, and the reverse order of becoming arises, the "Bardo of the Between".

Not being attached to the ground element at this stage, this energy is still capable of attaining liberation.

This process is also mirrored in the process of sleep and dreaming. For in your sleep, though you know it to be an illusion, your body is real and objects are solid and malleable by your dream process. It also happens during everyday life.

A Yogin practises to become aware and remain equanimous in a few ways

1. Mimic the death process via Energy Control
2. Remain awareness during sleep and dream
3. Remain awareness in everyday life
4. Recognise the steps and remain equanimous throughout the death (dissolution) process
5. Untangle the knots of Kamma to achieve rebirth in the path of liberation

wuwei
06-14-2001, 03:14 AM
what is occupying....nothingness :D

origenx
06-14-2001, 03:20 AM
prana - what is "kamma?" You mean karma?

harry_the_monk
06-14-2001, 11:11 AM
same thing..
kamma=karma
Dhamma=Dharma
Nibbana=Nirvana...etc.,
.....bit like qigong=chi kung :) :) :)
Peace...

prana
06-16-2001, 02:54 AM
I have a question to anyone who has experience in energy training.

Presumably, durings ones death, the channels are still in tact to allow for the unison of the two indestructable drops at the heart.

What happens if a person (or animal) has suffered a horrific accident (or has their heads decapitated), does white and red drops lose its unison? Will this energy suffer enormous torment or lost? Should this be a reason for animals not to suffer a decapitation from the human species ? How sad to think that in one or more lifetimes, they were our mothers brothers and sisters...

origenx
06-16-2001, 04:06 AM
FOCUS ON EMPTINESS

Isn't that a contradiction?

Perhaps you should think to:

EMPTY YOUR FOCUS

prana
06-17-2001, 02:20 AM
OrigenX

Hmmm it is not really, but it is hard to explain on the intellectual level. When the mind comes to a subtle point, you realise that your consciousness is built on top or carried by winds.

Emptiness is the mind that is free from illusions.

Ever been robbed or suffered from theft ?
There is a moment whereby you feel as if "ahhhh I have to let go" and your mind sits blank without any reaction. That is a small hint of emptiness.
Then of course, the mind starts recognising and reacting with mountains of thoughts and leads to suffering.

Meditating on emptiness is very extraordinary, you realise your body is not there and you start to wonder and be frightened at what you thought was real.