PDA

View Full Version : Twitching of the fingers

lloyd
06-07-2001, 03:24 PM
Hi!

I have had this problem with one finger of my left hand- sometimes during practice (nothing hard, just stances) and sometimes by itself without no apparent reason one finger of my left hand starts to twitch. It's slightly moving back and forth between the index finger and ring finger, not clenching. It is disturbing. When I move my hand for a while then then it goes back to normal for a while, but can easily start again.
It usually goes away when I do fast movements.
Is the position of my palm wrong?
What's happening?

origenx
06-07-2001, 07:36 PM
Do u do a lot of sudden tightening of your hand (say upon impact when punching)? I heard this done repetitively can cause twitching of the hands even when at rest.

nightair
06-08-2001, 01:41 AM
it might be that you use those musles in your hand with such repetition that it's your body's subconcious habit? :confused:

lloyd
06-10-2001, 02:13 PM
I used to do such exercises (tightening)with great speed but the twitching didn't start until I once had a really hard workout (a lot of hard ecxercises for the fingers and grip) but I was really exhausted already before the workout. I forced myself really bad and after that it started.
The funny thing is that the finger doesn't twitch like it is grabbing something, it is lateral twitching. Maybe that is because I am relaxing my hand.
Another thing is that the problem is related to weather. When it is really hot and a thunderstorm is coming then it usually starts. Is it some kind of nerve damage? What should I do?
Anyway, thanks for the replies!

GLW
06-10-2001, 07:03 PM
What you describe is probably a misfiring of nerves in the hand. It is not that uncommon but in extreme cases is classified as a form of epilepsy (doubtful for you from what you describe).

Unless it is getting worse, painful, or you have recently had health problems like a high fever, a head or nerve injury, it is probably no big deal. It will probably go away on its own if it is just misfiring nerves.

If it persist for a while, to be safe I would say see your doctor....it could be as simple as a pinched nerve....